FishDuck Article

Dillingham’s Offense: Four New Elements for Oregon

With a new era of Oregon Ducks football underway, Coach Dan Lanning is beginning to compile his staff. One of the biggest hires he’ll make this off-season is his offensive coordinator who has been announced as Coach Kenny Dillingham, who currently holds the same position with the Florida State Seminoles. What does a Coach Dillingham offense look like? Let’s take ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I look forward to those 4 new elements, and thank you Coach Boles.  The Wildcat often makes me less than optimistic, but I am a firm believer in that pro-style under the center!

The thing is, I am struggling with the unknown.  

While I admit that the while the stats below on Coach Dillingham are just a minor snapshot in time, nothing I see over the past 2 years at Florida State offensively has me really fired up in any way. 

Especially that points per game stat.

But it's a new chapter for OBD, and I am at peace with moving forward.

(Acknowledgment to http://www.cfbstats.com/)

Screen Shot 12-16-21 at 06.52 AM.PNG

Screen Shot 12-16-21 at 06.52 AM 001.PNG

• Thumbs Up 3

Always a pleasure to read and see your analysis. I look forward to future information on this hire as there is undoubtedly a lot of information to digest.

It will also be interesting to see how Dillingham will do as The offensive mind of the team. With Norvell as his mentor Dillingham was undoubtedly tied to Norm's ideas and processes, not a bad thing for a young OC.

We will now have Dillingham running the complete show. What twist has he been wanting to do which Coach Norvell may not have been open too? That will be an interesting item to see. This would be a question I would ask him, if I was at his presser.

A new OC without the heavy hand of the old guard, will be exciting to see!

5y43i8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Thanks Coach Boles for taking the time to put the article and clips together.

Thanks 81DuckAlum for showing those scoring comparisons.

While I personally don't concern myself with the unknown it's not easy to dismiss the scoring stats. How critical is player talent, development, scheme and execution in those scoring numbers?

FSU 247 Recruiting Rankings

2018 - 12

2019 - 18

2020 - 22

2021 - 22

Those ranking numbers are lower than the Ducks. They also don't account for injuries and portal transfers, in or out. The talent at Oregon is a step up from FSU....

So I asked myself a few questions after reading Coach Boles article and watching the clips......

Was the talent on the field good enough to execute and finish a high number of the play calls?

Any weak links on the O Line?

Was their enough depth and player leadership to overcome injuries?

DId the players fully buy into the scheme and play calls?

We're the players coached up enough to execute at a top level?

Barring injuries and transfers, my answers........

This current roster has superior offensive talent and potential...

The O Line doesn't appear to have any weak leaks

The O Line is 2 deep with talent and experience......

Can't answer if the players will buy in, yet. But we haven't seen any mass transfers, yet

Only the results on the field will show us how well the players are coached.

This new OC hire didn't really excite me or disappoint me. This hire will be part of Coach Lannings learning curve. I am rooting for the best.

One thing is certain, if the new OC can't improve on the scoring results at FSU, then many on this forum will lose alot of sleep. 

ESPECIALLY Charles..........

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/16/2021 at 5:14 AM, 81DuckAlum said:

I look forward to those 4 new elements, and thank you Coach Boles.  The Wildcat often makes me less than optimistic, but I am a firm believer in that pro-style under the center!

While I admit that the while the stats below on Coach Dillingham are just a minor snapshot in time, nothing I see over the past 2 years at Florida State offensively has me really fired up in any way. 

FSU doesn't have an offensive line.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:14 AM, 81DuckAlum said:

nothing I see over the past 2 years at Florida State offensively has me really fired up in any way. 

Seems they were pretty bare when Jimbo left, so not hard to believe that's going to take a little time to fix after Willie. I'd say look more at Memphis in 2017/18 and Auburn '19. Memphis in those years put up some particularly good numbers.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Like a breath of fresh air. Optimism returns. The elements detailed by Coach Boles have been sorely absent from the.Duck’s recent offenses. Two back sets, counter plays (Mr. FishDuck will be happy}, under center snaps, and more up tempo snaps will add variety to the offense and challenge defenses.

I’ve been a fan of Coach Norvell at both Tulsa and Memphis. If Oregon’s offense migrates to Norvell’s schemes under Coach Dillingham, then Oregon’s offense should roll again.

Coach Joe  Moorhead’s tenure as OC began with optimism based on his notable track record. The offenses under  Moorhead turned out to be unimaginative, mundane, and disappointing overall, uncharacteristic of Modern day Ducks football.

Go Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Did someone say Counter?  I'm salivating already!  We have a coach who "will out-number, out-flank and then obliterate opposing defenses."  My favorite run play!

I like the idea of adding Coach MarIon to the staff.  Meshing the innovative ideas of the Go-Go with Dillingham's aggressive attack would help to confuse and keep defenses guessing.

Thank you Coach Boles for this introduction to OC Dillingham!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/16/2021 at 8:24 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

This new OC hire didn't really excite me or disappoint me. This hire will be part of Coach Lannings learning curve. I am rooting for the best.

Yes!  My feelings exactly.  And thanks for pointing out so many of the off-setting factors between what Coach Dillingham had to work with for his short tenure and what he will be inheriting.

On 12/16/2021 at 8:24 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Who will be like:

Angry Cat GIF

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven’t doubted the Wildcat since Baylor rode it to 600 yards rushing in a bowl game a few years ago lol. Norvell and Dillingham have used it pretty well too. 

As far as stats at FSU go, I’m only about halfway through their games from last year, but it looks like an offense that improved as the year went on. I know there were some recruiting issues before they got there, so that could play a role. The FSU fans didn’t want to lose this guy, so they were optimistic about things they saw too. 

I would maybe look at Memphis 2018 film, as I’m hearing he may have also been calling the plays that season. You can look at Auburn 2019, a lot of people will talk about most points put on Saban, but Coach Malzahn called the plays. Coach Dillingham did work directly with the QBs though. 

• Thanks 1

Chakes to answer your question in the article about the last time Oregon ran the wild cat ... I think it was 2015 when VA was out injured there was some funny wild cat stuff Oregon did with Addison. 

Or at least some weird enough stuff that had fans at the time wanting Addison as the QB over Lockie. 

I could be wrong but that's what is coming up in my brain this morning. 

Thanks for the article... Looking forward to an offense that is designed to score points more than burn clock. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:12 AM, Haywarduck said:

Always a pleasure to read and see your analysis. I look forward to future information on this hire as there is undoubtedly a lot of information to digest.

It will also be interesting to see how Dillingham will do as The offensive mind of the team. With Norvell as his mentor Dillingham was undoubtedly tied to Norm's ideas and processes, not a bad thing for a young OC.

We will now have Dillingham running the complete show. What twist has he been wanting to do which Coach Norvell may not have been open too? That will be an interesting item to see. This would be a question I would ask him, if I was at his presser.

A new OC without the heavy hand of the old guard, will be exciting to see!

5y43i8.jpg

Thanks!

I don’t know how much different the offense will look, from a design standpoint, from Norvell’s since that’s the scheme Dillingham has worked with his whole career. But if it’s any reassurance at all, the scheme is a damn good one. 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:24 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Thanks Coach Boles for taking the time to put the article and clips together.

Thanks 81DuckAlum for showing those scoring comparisons.

While I personally don't concern myself with the unknown it's not easy to dismiss the scoring stats. How critical is player talent, development, scheme and execution in those scoring numbers?

FSU 247 Recruiting Rankings

2018 - 12

2019 - 18

2020 - 22

2021 - 22

Those ranking numbers are lower than the Ducks. They also don't account for injuries and portal transfers, in or out. The talent at Oregon is a step up from FSU....

So I asked myself a few questions after reading Coach Boles article and watching the clips......

Was the talent on the field good enough to execute and finish a high number of the play calls?

Any weak links on the O Line?

Was their enough depth and player leadership to overcome injuries?

DId the players fully buy into the scheme and play calls?

We're the players coached up enough to execute at a top level?

Barring injuries and transfers, my answers........

This current roster has superior offensive talent and potential...

The O Line doesn't appear to have any weak leaks

The O Line is 2 deep with talent and experience......

Can't answer if the players will buy in, yet. But we haven't seen any mass transfers, yet

Only the results on the field will show us how well the players are coached.

One thing is certain, if the new OC can't improve on the scoring results at FSU, then many on this forum will lose alot of sleep. 

I think you can rest assured knowing we have the better roster. I’m also pretty biased, so take that for what it’s worth haha. But really, I think we have more than enough roster talent to make the offense hum. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, Matty Luau said:

Seems they were pretty bare when Jimbo left, so not hard to believe that's going to take a little time to fix after Willie. I'd say look more at Memphis in 2017/18 and Auburn '19. Memphis in those years put up some particularly good numbers.  

Definitely Memphis 2018. I’m hearing that Coach Dillingham had a big hand in playcalling for Memphis that year. 

On 12/16/2021 at 10:05 AM, Notalot said:

Like a breath of fresh air. Optimism returns. The elements detailed by Coach Boles have been sorely absent from the.Duck’s recent offenses. Two back sets, counter plays (Mr. FishDuck will be happy}, under center snaps, and more up tempo snaps will add variety to the offense and challenge defenses.

I’ve been a fan of Coach Norvell at both Tulsa and Memphis. If Oregon’s offense migrates to Norvell’s schemes under Coach Dillingham, then Oregon’s offense should roll again.

Coach Joe  Moorhead’s tenure as OC began with optimism based on his notable track record. The offenses under  Moorhead turned out to be unimaginative, mundane, and disappointing overall, uncharacteristic of Modern day Ducks football.

Go Ducks.

It’s a sweet scheme. I’m pretty excited for it. I also used to watch ASU and really enjoy what they were doing, but I’ve always been a fan of those power spread offenses that came down from Coach Malzahn. 

I would also say that there were some issues that hampered Coach Moorhead’s offense in his time with Oregon. I don’t think it was vanilla, but it was a bit unbalanced at times. 

On 12/16/2021 at 10:07 AM, Smith72 said:

Did someone say Counter?  I'm salivating already!  We have a coach who "will out-number, out-flank and then obliterate opposing defenses."  My favorite run play!

I like the idea of adding Coach MarIon to the staff.  Meshing the innovative ideas of the Go-Go with Dillingham's aggressive attack would help to confuse and keep defenses guessing.

Thank you Coach Boles for this introduction to OC Dillingham!

Love the counter. Should see a good amount of it in a Oregon vs USC game now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just my two cents....good coaches adapt their schemes to the present personnel.....if this guy doesn't run a pass heavy offense the defections will start early.....just say'n. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:50 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Definitely Memphis 2018. I’m hearing that Coach Dillingham had a big hand in playcalling for Memphis that year. 

Sure hope so as FSU stats are meh.  It is widely accepted he did not call the plays at Auburn so harder to correlate that short stint. Though some reported Coach D was not happy with his role there, so implies his stamp was not on those results.

I do buy that FSU talent was a mess, and even those recruiting rankings shown above ended worse as not all those guys stayed, especially given what Willie did to the program.

I also hang my hat on seeing how many coaches wanted coach D with them, and former players saying he is their favorite coach ever.  That is proof in the pudding for me. Everyone wants successful people around them.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's been fascinating to see reactions to Dillingham hire. One side says he is a savant and the future of offensive creativity. To others, a water boy who has served under 2 very good offense first head coaches. But obviously he made a big impression on Lanning. That trust will keep Dillingham in Eugene for a few years and will give Lanning more confidence in his new gig. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:35 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I haven’t doubted the Wildcat since Baylor rode it to 600 yards rushing in a bowl game a few years ago lol. Norvell and Dillingham have used it pretty well too. 

As far as stats at FSU go, I’m only about halfway through their games from last year, but it looks like an offense that improved as the year went on. I know there were some recruiting issues before they got there, so that could play a role. The FSU fans didn’t want to lose this guy, so they were optimistic about things they saw too. 

I would maybe look at Memphis 2018 film, as I’m hearing he may have also been calling the plays that season. You can look at Auburn 2019, a lot of people will talk about most points put on Saban, but Coach Malzahn called the plays. Coach Dillingham did work directly with the QBs though. 

It was an up and down performance by the Seminoles on O. Losing Gabriel to injury did not help and the FSU OL has underperformed, based on recruiting rankings, for years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Coach. Always enlightening.

I'm looking forward to saying 'so long' to the Prevent Offense. Vince Lombardi would have loved Mario's O, most of us did not.

With Mario not playing one of the younger QBs in 2021 do you think Oregon should go into the portal for a QB with game experience? Kedon Slovis in the portal is intriguing. 

Savant or water boy? Two extreme views of Dillingham that I've seen from fans. No doubt, Dillingham served under 2 very good "offense first" coaches in Norvell and Malzahn. Dillingham will work very hard and will find schemes that fit personnel.

But from what I've seen, Dillingham's biggest asset isn't Xs and Os. He is a grinder from the high school ranks and Lanning has complete trust in him. That's a big deal for a 1st time head coach. Also, Dillingham has developed QBs, for 6 years in highschool, two years in Memphis, in Auburn and Florida State. Oregon's QB development has been poor for several years to say the least

. It also looks like Dillingham creates strong bonds with his players. The word "Trust" is thrown around a lot in college football but it is obviously something that Coach Lanning prioritizes - for players and coaches. Hopefully it will yield success. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you Coach. Always enlightening.

I'm looking forward to saying 'so long' to the Prevent Offense. Vince Lombardi would have loved Mario's O, most of us did not.

With Mario not playing one of the younger QBs in 2021 do you think Oregon should go into the portal for a QB with game experience? Kedon Slovis in the portal is intriguing. 

I’d just go with the QBs that Oregon has on the roster. They need the development at some point, might as well start now. 

On 12/16/2021 at 6:24 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Boy you got that right!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/16/2021 at 9:17 AM, 03Duck said:

But from what I've seen, Dillingham's biggest asset isn't Xs and Os. He is a grinder from the high school ranks and Lanning has complete trust in him. That's a big deal for a 1st time head coach. Also, Dillingham has developed QBs, for 6 years in high school, two years in Memphis, in Auburn and Florida State. Oregon's QB development has been poor for several years to say the least.

03Duck...you are new here, and I would hope you would continue to share your thoughts and analysis here often.  Great stuff to add to this discussion, so thanks and WELCOME!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/16/2021 at 7:43 AM, David Marsh said:

Chakes to answer your question in the article about the last time Oregon ran the wild cat ... I think it was 2015 when VA was out injured there was some funny wild cat stuff Oregon did with Addison. 

Or at least some weird enough stuff that had fans at the time wanting Addison as the QB over Lockie. 

I could be wrong but that's what is coming up in my brain this morning. 

Thanks for the article... Looking forward to an offense that is designed to score points more than burn clock. 

I think you are right.

I also remember Andre Crenshaw running wild cat in the Rose Bowl against UCLA after Dixon and Leaf were injured.  Cody Kempt  couldn't get it done so the Chipster dialed up the Wildcat.  How did it go?  We lost 16-0 in one of the most excruciating games I have ever watched (on TV).  

Can’t be any worse than what we’ve seen the last 4 years!