Haywarduck

Urban A Free Agent

Urban was, not surprisingly, fired. What program is going to take a chance on this guy?

Seems like a Rick Pitino type character at this point. Rick ended up at Iona College. I think Urban may just stay on tv for a while, if a network will take him.

He has a strong coaching tree, but his roots are rotten.

Urban Meier is a strange person.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/16/2021 at 6:33 AM, geoquack said:

Urban Meier is a strange person.

Indeed! I was once high on him as a coach back in the Utah days. Now, not so much. It leaves me wondering and questioning his choices and character.

There's a lot of he said/she said here, but I thought this was interesting:

In a story released by the Tampa Bay Times Wednesday, Lambo says the incident occurred during warmups of a practice leading into the final preseason game.

“I’m in a lunge position. Left leg forward, right leg back,” Lambo said. “… Urban Meyer, while I’m in that stretch position, comes up to me and says, ‘Hey (expletive), make your (expletive) kicks!’ And kicks me in the leg.”

Lambo went on to further characterize the event.

“It certainly wasn’t as hard as he could’ve done it, but it certainly wasn’t a love tap,” Lambo said. “Truthfully, I’d register it as a five (out of 10). Which, in the workplace, I don’t care if it’s football or not, the boss can’t strike an employee. And for a second, I couldn’t believe it actually happened. Pardon my vulgarity, I said, ‘Don’t you ever (expletive) kick me again!’ And his response was, ‘I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the (expletive) I want.’”

In a statement to the Tampa Bay Times, Meyer denied that the incident happened the way Lambo described it.

“Josh’s characterization of me and this incident is completely inaccurate, and there are eyewitnesses to refute his account,” Meyer said. “(General manager) Trent (Baalke) and I met with him on multiple occasions to encourage his performance, and this was never brought up. I was fully supportive of Josh during his time with the team and wish him nothing but the best.”

On 12/16/2021 at 6:29 AM, Haywarduck said:

Seems like a Rick Pitino type character at this point. Rick ended up at Iona College. I think Urban may just stay on tv for a while, if a network will take him.

I remember his previous stint on the college football studio segments. The guy was a humorless stiff. I would think the networks would stay away from this toxic guy in light of all the stuff that's come out about him in recent months.  Then again, Michael Vick is doing "insightful analysis" on TV these days, so who knows?

• Haha 1

I’d agree that his best focus and work were while he was at Utah. IF he wants back in, and is willing to do what it takes, wouldn’t be surprised to see him back out west, possibly at an FCS school.

Why did he leave at a gig at FOX that he was so good at?

What in the heck made him think 'my way' will work in the pros? Especially with the dumpster fire Jags?

Hubris kills. 

On 12/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, Jon Joseph said:

What in the heck made him think 'my way' will work in the pros? Especially with the dumpster fire Jags?

Hubris kills. 

You answered yourself.  On the TV show he didn't get to be The Man. His character flaws didn't just materialize at Jacksonville. But, because he was winning, his W% is higher than Saban's, he was allowed to continue. Being a college coach is the perfect place for an ego like Meyer's. He found out it didn't work in the NFL. 

On 12/16/2021 at 11:12 AM, 30Duck said:

Being a college coach is the perfect place for an ego like Meyer's. He found out it didn't work in the NFL. 

Chip 2.0.  Didn't learn from history and repeated it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, WiseKwacker said:

I remember his previous stint on the college football studio segments. The guy was a humorless stiff. I would think the networks would stay away from this toxic guy in light of all the stuff that's come out about him in recent months.  Then again, Michael Vick is doing "insightful analysis" on TV these days, so who knows?

Love this guys act.

5y6red.jpg