30Duck

Utah-Ohio State "Who's Gonna Win the Rose Bowl?"

This will be the 1st Rose Bowl for the Utes, a team can't come in hotter than the Utes after blasting the 2 time defending champion, twice in 3 weeks, right?

And Ohio State, can not be happy about how the season ended for them. They're playing in the Rose Bowl because Michigan knocked them out of the CFP, and is going in their place!

If you take the common enemy theory, Oregon beat Ohio State, Utah destroyed Oregon twice. Advantage Utah. 

But, Utah lost to Oregon State, and BYU, and San Diego State?

At times Ohio State's offense was out of this world, Great QB, 3 great WR's, and a RB, that can take it to the house any time.

The current line is Ohio State -6. I'm going to take the Buckeyes to have enough fight to cover that. 

It depends on the mood of the Ohio State players.  If they come in feeling deflated because they feel like they should have been in the CFP then Utah has a great shot at winning.  If they come in extremely motivated and ticked off because they feel like they should have been in the CFP then it's gonna get ugly.

• Thumbs Up 1

How many, if any, Buckeyes will opt out? Including tOSU's entire corps of great wide receivers.

Regardless, I think Utah will be more motivated; possibly ready to send its coach into retirement with a big win?

I picked Ohio State in a pick ‘‘em. I just think their downfield threats are clicking at this point. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles

On 12/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, Jon Joseph said:

How many, if any, Buckeyes will opt out?

Stroud is a Freshman, if a FR. QB sits out the Rose Bowl, he will definitely be setting a precedent. WR, Olave is a SR., might not see him? the other 2 WR's, Smith-Njigba is a Sophomore, and Wilson is a Junior. Henderson the RB, is also a Freshman.

Utah......Utah lost before they got their QB situation fixed. Ohio St will be the typical Big 10 team on vacation. Utah traveled to LA to beat USC this year. Utah is significantly underrated. 

On 12/16/2021 at 3:26 PM, fred flintstone said:

Utah......Utah lost before they got their QB situation fixed. Ohio St will be the typical Big 10 team on vacation. Utah traveled to LA to beat USC this year. Utah is significantly underrated. 

I was thinking it was going to be similar to when USC beat Ohio State but Oregon lost to Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. However you might be right. Utah finally got over the USC and Oregon hurdle they struggled with for years. Especially the USC hurdle even when Utah would beat Oregon and get into the top 10 they would lose to USC. The year Utah almost made the playoffs they lost to both USC and Oregon. So them beating both of them was a big deal.

Utah is on a Mission for their fallen comrades. 

Maybe Tosu will have the same motivation for Urban.

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, Steven A said:

Utah is on a Mission.

Fixed it for you.

While I can support OSU, I can’t support tOSU.  

Go Utes!

The Pac-12 shutting out tosu for the season would bring me great joy. The Pac-12 gong 2-0 against the nuts, do it Utes! What a way to bring in the New Year.

• Thanks 1

OT - QB Dillon Gabriel signs with UCLA. Michael Penix has signed with UW. Where is Kedon Slovis?

Guest Axel

Ohio State will cover the 6 points against the Utes, but the real surprise of the Rose Bowl will occur at halftime, when Urban Meyer showcases his next career move. The former Buckeyes coach will strut on the field with the OSU band and dot the "i" in Script Ohio. 

Im going with tOSU by 12

To help bolster the national Pac12 lens, I'd like Utah to win.  The resentful part of me wishes that they lose to tOSU.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, 30Duck said:

This will be the 1st Rose Bowl for the Utes, a team can't come in hotter than the Utes after blasting the 2 time defending champion, twice in 3 weeks, right?

And Ohio State, can not be happy about how the season ended for them. They're playing in the Rose Bowl because Michigan knocked them out of the CFP, and is going in their place!

If you take the common enemy theory, Oregon beat Ohio State, Utah destroyed Oregon twice. Advantage Utah. 

But, Utah lost to Oregon State, and BYU, and San Diego State?

At times Ohio State's offense was out of this world, Great QB, 3 great WR's, and a RB, that can take it to the house any time.

The current line is Ohio State -6. I'm going to take the Buckeyes to have enough fight to cover that. 

Oregon lost both those games because Mario was preoccupied in his head he was heading back to sweaty Miami. OS will beat Utah W/O a doubt even though I would want them to win because I do think Whittingham deserves it. He's a under ranked HC and made Mario look really stupid as our HC. There are so many bad memories of those two losses that are hard to swallow and the ridiculous stupidity of sticking with Brown and we all know why he stayed in. No great coach wouldn't try to motivate his team by making a change at QB.

Saban took out Hurt and put in the lefty and Bama's offense took off and they won the NATTY that season. That's what's so crazy is the guy worked under Saban so he had the blue print for success but obviously never paid attention about your QB is your number 1 player on your team and that has never ever changed in the world of Football. OS I kind of have to believe will come in smelling blood then everyone will see that Oregon lost to them not because they were the lesser team only because they new Mario was working towards his other job.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, 30Duck said:

Stroud is a Freshman, if a FR. QB sits out the Rose Bowl, he will definitely be setting a precedent. WR, Olave is a SR., might not see him? the other 2 WR's, Smith-Njigba is a Sophomore, and Wilson is a Junior. Henderson the RB, is also a Freshman.

Olave and Wilson are both draft eligible and I think it is the same for Smith-N?

Stroud, who is not draft eligible will play, unlike Pitt's QB Kenny Pickett who is draft eligible and will not play in the Peach Bowl.

If Utah comes in the right mindset it could be a real good tough game.

If they have a "deer in the headlights" mentality due to being in the Rose Bowl and also playing Ohio State it will get ugly for them.

Last night I watched a 20 minute or so video of the Oregon-Ohio State game highlights just to get some kind of feel for the upcoming game.  I didn't see anything in that particular game where their offense got away from your guys.  Oregon kept them in check pretty well.  On the other hand if you watch them against Michigan State you would think they are absolutely unstoppable and will destroy all in their path.  

I really don't know what to expect but hope the Utes get to taste victory.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/17/2021 at 10:01 AM, savagefund said:

I really don't know what to expect but hope the Utes get to taste victory.

Despite your Utes kicking our butt twice...I am happy that you get to experience the Rose Bowl.  Do soak it in and savor it!  And since it is only right that it is your-turn, I hope you find a way to victory as well.

And I do appreciate you being a reasonable poster on this forum, as I've had to ban a couple of Utah fans.  We can speak ill of our team, but someone from another team cannot come in and trash-talk us.  You have been a good representative of Utah-thanks.

Defense in the Rose Bowl_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Of course, if Ohio State had defeated Michigan, Utah would not be playing Ohio State.

I think the Buckeyes because of the way it lost to Michigan, will show up with a big chip on the shoulder pads?

I have a modest wager on the Over 66.5. I don't think the Utah DL will pressure Stroud like the Wolverines did and I think the Utah DBs who did not look all that good vs Oregon State have a chance to be lit up by the Buckeyes passing game?

Will this be Whit's final game?

I have learned never to underestimate Whittingham. Which is why I hate when my Ducks face them in November, rather than early on. While they have lost their last two bowl games, Whittingham is 11-3 in bowl games with the Utes. Thus, my respect for Whittingham outweighs my dislike of Ohio State. Go Utes! 

Utes, in a HUGE way.

I have no idea who will win... but GO UTES!