Steven A

Did Lanning Leave A Year Early

Excellent story, thanks for posting!

I read that earlier and thought the author just seemed all over the place with his thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought it presented a thoughtful (if, as you point out, a somewhat disjointed) picture into a GA writer’s take on Lanning.

The basis of the argument is... It took Smart 12 years to get a big time head coaching job and Lanning is getting one after a much much shorter time period and needs more time to learn... also implies that Oregon has zero talent is not setting Lanning up for success.

An interesting take and Lanning will probably have to learn some hard lessons next year. However, every single coach learns hard lessons when they become a head coach. Smart doesn't have things all figured out... I mean he did lose really badly to Alabama and Georgia's offense is based around their defense dominating. Maybe Lanning has already learned that lesson which is why in hiring Dillingham he is hiring the guy who was the OC when Auburn put up 48 points against Saban in 2019.

It's a risk... but I think it is a risk that Lanning and Oregon are willing to take. Lanning doesn't seem like a typical coach from just listening to him speak and reading about his coaching story. He seems like he is a fast learner... perhaps faster than Smart... and delaying the Head Coaching opportunity for him might not help him develop much more, or at least not allow him to develop and grow much faster.

• Thumbs Up 1

typical SEC SEC SEC

"Lanning should have taken the job..."  One paragraph later, "Lanning did his time at Georgia, but it should have been one more season."

Huh?

The best part of the article was, "All we’re getting at is as good as Lanning is — he could still get better and learn more. No one is too good not to learn more about their craft."  Well, under that reasoning, a guy who has been a DC in the SEC for 40 years should stay longer, because no one is too good not to learn more about their craft.  Forty-two years would mean he's more prepared to be a HC than 40 years.

Mike Tomlin was a DC in the NFL for exactly one season before becoming the HC of the Pittsburgh Steelers and not once having a losing season.  Other long-time assistants like Buddy Ryan, Romeo Crenell, Hugh Jackson, and Jim Caldwell flamed out quickly as pro head coaches despite YEARS of experience.

Experience is only one part of the equation - ability, smarts, desire, work ethic, and personality also factor into it.  So does going into the right situation.  Not saying Lanning was the right choice or will be a great HC, but this article is...well, dumb.  

• Thumbs Up 2

"I’m not questioning his ability to coach; I’m questioning whether we saw his best at Georgia?"

Look I'm not going to make the argument that Georgia ever saw his best work. That is truthfully unknown and can never be answered. You could have made this same argument about chip before he went to the NFL or nearly every one-and-done in the NFL but when opportunity and money calls we should expect those around us to take it. Any other argument against that fact does not have that person's best interest at heart.

This author cares more about Georgia(which is fine) than it does about Lanning.

On 12/16/2021 at 11:00 PM, deschutesduck said:

I read that earlier and thought the author just seemed all over the place with his thinking.

Completely agree with you deschutes. Would the author stay at his job with the kind of pay increase Lanning is receiving?

This is an oblique shot at Oregon and the Pac-12. Stick around Dan and maybe you could have landed a job in the SEC or at least in the ACC?