Cockroach

Brown is the QB for Alamo Bowl

According to interim coach the QB for ducks hasn’t changed. Are the other 

QB’s that bad? Are the ducks wanting them to transfer? I can think of no sane

reason to play Brown.

• Thumbs Up 1

He did just publicly give all his teammates Bose Headphones. Maybe the coaches got some too... 🤔

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The operative phrase revolves around, at this time. Maybe AB has a specific skill set and needs to play within his abilities and therefore the scheme needs to reflect that. 

Sooners by 30.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, let's throw away a development opportunity for our young quarterbacks in a game that means practically nothing and just let them rot on the bench. Smart.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, I'm guessing the decision might have DL's input. 

The Ducks new motto for QBs-- The bench is warmer here. Watch and learn from mediocrity.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I can't help but wonder if McClendon is coaching to leave?  Alamo Bowl feels so anticlimatic and this news feels like a let down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel
On 12/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, toketeeman said:

Yes, let's throw away a development opportunity for our young quarterbacks in a game that means practically nothing and just let them rot on the bench. Smart.

Let's at least hope that Cristobal's absence will result in an offense that's juiced up a bit from what we've endured most of the season. I do think that the Ducks are missing an opportunity to give our young QBs some valuable game experience. 

What a confusing and disappointing end to a once sky's the limit season. 

I would ask the coach, how much fun are the players having sitting on the bench?

Don't understand this..........

I wonder if the young QB's can't wrap their heads around the JM offensive scheme?

Or maybe they can't execute the plays?

Wasting another opportunity for growth in another wasted game. Just realized my basement expectations are Rose Bowl or New Years Six Bowl......

Well I have a great feeling for what Lanning will bring to Oregon. He's already bringing in coach's, some of the best recruiters that will elevate Oregon's future classes better than Mario. We are also getting Tosh Lupoi who is a great defensive line recruiter and he can really recruit any position with the best of them. Lanning to me seems way smarter then Miami's new coach. If anyone after watching what he brought to the table as a HC think he's gonna bring Miami back to the top are misguided

Because I'll give him 4 years there before he's fired and I'll be happy to see that happen because the guys words were getting old and they didn't bring confidence. Lanning's words feel like something big is coming finally to Eugene. I just don't see Oregon winning the Alamo but that's just my opinion and honestly I don't want to watch the game period. They are still telling us that not one of those 4 star QBs can come in and run this offense. That to me with all the money these coach's are getting is a piss poor excuse for telling us AB will start.

I would never wish injury on a player but I hope AB gets turf toe or something or cramps that are so bad he can't run period because he clearly has been way to inconsistent. As far as the transfer rule goes they were telling us this guy out of all the QB transfers they didn't already know what they were getting. Heck Utah's QB Riseling was a transfer right so why didn't we bring him on instead. I would have thought that stupid pass he threw when out of bounds that resulted in a interception was the last we'd see of him. NO stupidity over ruled that one. Mario is a stupid HC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If DL has no film on his young QBs, how can he not grab an experienced QB in the portal?

How involved is Lanning in this game? He's still coaching his GA defense. Just a hunch but I'm betting that as of now AB gives the ducks the

best chance to be in the game. It would seem that if it gets out of hand and Oregons down by several TD's that Ty would see some game

time. Or if AB comes out looking like he did against UT and he gets benched the coaches would insert Ty or one of the other QB's. Looks like

the staff is just staying the course for now. 

No need to risk injury to one of the QB's heading into next season. 

Really understand the QB feelings everyone has, but I sincerely hope AB goes and has an all-time career night against Chokelahoma and leaves riding off into the rest of his life as a Duck transfer QB who:

-was invaluable in securing last years Pac12 Championship We won thanks to him

-this year Beat UW WSU OSEWE tOsU and maybe OU too??? 

all while not being that exceptionally gifted, yet still was able to do enough to put up 250+/gm total offense.    Good for him and go ducks BEAT OU!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 10:04 AM, Cockroach said:

reason to play Brown.

If this is the case did the Ducks even try to go after Dillon Gabriel, now at UCLA, Penix, now at UW or Rattler? This guarantees that unless the Ducks bring in a QB from the portal the Ducks QB 'at' Georgia will be making his 1st start in CFB.

I do not get THIS! Does anyone give a whip about longer range planning?

On 12/17/2021 at 8:40 AM, Bearlybalanced said:

Really understand the QB feelings everyone has, but I sincerely hope AB goes and has an all-time career night against Chokelahoma and leaves riding off into the rest of his life as a Duck transfer QB who:

all while not being that exceptionally gifted, yet still was able to do enough to put up 250+/gm total offense.    Good for him and go ducks BEAT OU!

I would add the best case scenario is he has such a good game he can hand it off in the 3rd quarter to one of the young guns.

AB deserves to start, and the offense has been built around his skills. He has also been a warrior within this system, we should be grateful.

I get, am in that camp, we want our offensive output again. The problem is this is what has been built and we need to let it play out. 

We can wish for what we will see next year. We need to show the patience Ty and others have shown, it will come!

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/17/2021 at 8:40 AM, Bearlybalanced said:

was invaluable in securing last years Pac12 Championship We won thanks to him

This is a great reflection of what we have to be thankful for.  Same with Mario.  Despite clear deficiencies so am glad Lanning is here…Mario did go undefeated against UW and the LA schools, got our best road win ever (tOSU), 2 Pac12 titles, and a Rose Bowl win.  Those are to be appreciated (though I am glad he is gone).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, Bearlybalanced said:

He had his career day when he started against and defeated Ohio State; the only game he has started vs a top 25 team and won. And in the OH ST game he completed fewer than 50% of his throws.

For goodness sakes. Does anyone on the Oregon coaching staff give a whip about 2022? This is not a playoff semi or even an exhibition Rose Bowl,  this is a game for runners up.

I guess no one wants to see Thompson or another youngster start a game before stepping on the field in Mercedes Benz Stadium vs Georgia?

• Thumbs Up 3

I mean don't think there is a perfect answer to this.

Let's look at the Pro's of starting a freshman...

1. Gets him practice before next season

Now the con's

1. Risk Multiple QB's transferring out.

2. The new coaching staff isn't their to make the decision.

3. could alienate players

Here is my solution to the game. Let Brown get his final start(first drive) and final finish(final drive) of his time at oregon. Look I don't blame brown at all during his time at oregon, He helped us win in columbus. He lived out his dream to be a starting FBS QB. I do blame the coaching staff(namely cristobal) for never benching him. The alamo bowl is a meh bowl, so I don't really care. Let him get his final minutes of play time and maybe he can up his canadian football stock.

Also by not declaring a freshman a starter you aren't forcing a hard decision on the next head coach. Just coin flip the drives for the freshman and let them all play. This gives live game time film that will actually help Lanning as he moves forward into spring.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I guess no one wants to see Thompson or another youngster start a game before stepping on the field in Mercedes Benz Stadium vs Georgia?

It is ironic that Coach McClendon wants to make the Alamo Bowl a great "experience" for the players, but apparently is passing on the opportunity for Thompson and the other young QB's to get some in the game?

On 12/17/2021 at 12:09 PM, 30Duck said:

It is ironic that Coach McClendon wants to make the Alamo Bowl a great "experience" for the players, but apparently is passing on the opportunity for Thompson and the other young QB's to get some in the game?

30, I'd go with another I word: Idiotic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, UtahDuck said:

I mean don't think there is a perfect answer to this.

Let's look at the Pro's of starting a freshman...

1. Gets him practice before next season

Now the con's

1. Risk Multiple QB's transferring out.

2. The new coaching staff isn't their to make the decision.

3. could alienate players

Here is my solution to the game. Let Brown get his final start(first drive) and final finish(final drive) of his time at oregon. Look I don't blame brown at all during his time at oregon, He helped us win in columbus. He lived out his dream to be a starting FBS QB. I do blame the coaching staff(namely cristobal) for never benching him. The alamo bowl is a meh bowl, so I don't really care. Let him get his final minutes of play time and maybe he can up his canadian football stock.

Also by not declaring a freshman a starter you aren't forcing a hard decision on the next head coach. Just coin flip the drives for the freshman and let them all play. This gives live game time film that will actually help Lanning as he moves forward into spring.

Great take. But my 1st solution is that you do not send your 2nd best team into B12 country to play a B12 team. 2nd, hurry up and get the playoff expanded. 3rd, vote with your pocket book and don't attend these after-thought, meaningless exhibition games.

I 'll tape it and if the Ducks win which I doubt, I'll watch. Otherwise, Delete. Mario's gone, let's move the hell on!

BTW, with Brown starting at QB how long do you think it will take Bob Stoops to figure our his plan on D for this game?

• Thumbs Up 1

I proposed this before:

Give the three QBs each one quarter to play, then award the 4th quarter to the best performer as decided by the coaches. Oh, sh*t, that's way too practical. Sorry.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

With all due respect to AB, he had his chance to cement his legacy against Utah twice already.  It should be open competition in practice for the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:27 PM, noDucknewby said:

With all due respect to AB, he had his chance to cement his legacy against Utah twice already.  It should be open competition in practice for the start.

He cement-shoed it.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The only thing I can think of is that these new QBs are really terrible?

Given that the Alamo Bowl is basically a scrimmage due to the departure of both teams best players, how can not playing a new QB or 2 or 3 be justified? Hopefully, this info was sent out to deceive Oklahoma. 

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The only thing I can think of is that these new QBs are really terrible?

The Ducks of course have a chance to win with OK's top 3 D guys opting out along with Spencer Rattler and the Sooners starting TE. But Bob Stoops has not forgotten the 'onside kick' game in Eugene and I imagine he wants to pour it on Puddles.

Maybe AB will start, but the younger QBs will get in the game (sooner rather than later, depending on how things go)?

• Thumbs Up 3

Lastly the article today is about Loyalty. Loyalty is being shown to AB. We as fans can decide to show loyalty to players, or just the idea of winning with what we, as fans, think is best. 

I am not talking about staying with AB if he plays like he did against Utah. If he is off again like that, the second half should see another qb or two.

I will say loyalty to the players should involve giving AB a chance to lead the team he led all year. If not we are no better than some of the things we are so critical of. What do we want our program to stand for?

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/17/2021 at 9:59 AM, Annie said:

Maybe AB will start,

Give him one series as a "senior night" moment and then MOVE ON TO THE FUTURE.

• Thumbs Up 1

This doesn't mean the younger QBs won't get playing time, I'm hoping McClendon will give at least one of them a shot in the 2nd half.

• Thumbs Up 3

Can’t believe this is going to happen. Who the hell from Oregon’s coaching staff thinks AB deserves this game. Makes me wonder if these coaches want another ugly loss so players won’t come to Eugene, and others might leave. I can’t wrap my head around this. 

If you watched any Ducks games this year Moorhead’s offensive scheme is more simple than some high schools I’ve watched. Unbelievable that our three back up QBs wouldn’t be able to grasp it. Basically there were about 10 basic plays with small variations off of some of those. AB was unable to execute even this simple offense and if you pressure him like Utah did he and the coaching staff were unable to make the adjustments, they just fell apart.

Never have I seen a team milk clock when trailing in a game. MC did this continually. 

This is the perfect opportunity for our Ducks to move on from the debacle we have watched this year, but wait let’s do this some more.🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, believe me, nobody has been more down on Brown than I have. And, I've been dying to see both Thompson and Butterfield get some meaningful minutes on the field. HOWEVER, I understand McClendon's decision to start Brown in this bowl game. The way I look at it is this: The 2021 Ducks earned this bowl game with a 10-3 record. Brown was the quarterback throughout the season for this team. Thus, he's earned the right to start this game. And, I feel the same for other players on the team who are playing their last games as Ducks; they've earned the right to start this game if they've been starters during the regular season.

Having said that, I see no reason McClendon can't reasonably insert Thompson and/or Butterfield into the game as early as the 2nd quarter for a series or two.  Hey, I remember good old Mike Price at WSU doing that on a regular basis with his quarterbacks. He'd give the 2nd string kid a series or two in the second quarter of games to give him some actual in-game seasoning.

Knowing that Brown will be starting the game, I will be watching him closely. In my view, his main problem this season is that he's played "tight" most of the time. Not only has he struggled with the accuracy of his long passes, he's also struggled with accuracy on many easy short passes--either tossing an 8-foot pass at the feet of his receiver or sailing it well over his head. Common sense suggests that he hasn't played this way in practice or else he would've lost his starting job long ago. So, with just AB and Joe Moorhead working together in this game, maybe Joe will let it fly on offense and AB will loosen up and do the same.  That prospect will ensure that I tune in for this game--at least for the first two series.

• Thumbs Up 3

I fully expect Oregon vs Utah Part III. 

3rd and 12. AB dumps off a 3 yard pass to a double covered receiver. Punt the ball.

This one will be over before the 1st quarter. Maybe Sooner!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

My best guess is that Ty isn't ready and perhaps doesn't have a grasp of the offense. That's the only explanation I can think of for not playing him or Butters. Very odd.

Edited by KingT

On 12/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, noDucknewby said:

In my mind, this is the best post on this issue. AB HAS HAD HIS CHANCE IN SPADES. WE'RE DONE WITH THAT. And think of the ELEVATED ENERGY that will be generated in the upcoming practices for ALL the guys knowing that they all will have a real opportunity to show the new coaches what they can do for NEXT season.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, Haywarduck said:

AB deserves to start, and the offense has been built around his skills. He has also been a warrior within this system, we should be grateful.

Totally agree. He deserves to start as apposed to a kick in the butt. I hope to see at least a quarter of someone else at QB.

AB deserves this and our gratitude for giving two years of his life to Oregon and helping to elevate the program to at least a 10 win season.

• Thumbs Up 4

AB may get his chance to play Morehead’s way without the influence of Crist-O-ball-n-chain.  

This game may reveal what might have been.

Besides, do you expect IC BMac to announce his true plans to Sooners?

• Thumbs Up 1

The difference between a groove and a rut is depth. This duck offense is deep in a rut. Something is needed to nudge it into a new groove.

• Like 1

5yb0po.jpg

• Haha 2

Well, going by his track record, we are due for a game with good AB.   So maybe the score won't be 38-10 OU?  🤞

Edited by DuckFan93

On 12/17/2021 at 7:33 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

He did just publicly give all his teammates Bose Headphones. Maybe the coaches got some too... 🤔

He could have gotten great Sennheisers for half the price . . .

Start AB. He deserves it. AB led the team to some very big wins. A couple of come from behind wins. 4th quarter wins. That's on AB

His inconsistency was frustrating.  But he didn't call the plays. Coaches did.... That's not on AB.

AB was not on the field when the D couldn't get stops on 3rd down. Over and over, repeatedly in  many games. That's not on AB.

However. None of the freshmen QB's will burn a shirt by playing. Give them some meaningful snaps. Let them feel the speed and intensity of the game.

Afterall, unlike AB and most of the coaches, our young QB's will hopefully be Ducks next season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, John Charles said:

I fully expect Oregon vs Utah Part III. 

3rd and 12. AB dumps off a 3 yard pass to a double covered receiver. Punt the ball.

This one will be over before the 1st quarter. Maybe Sooner!

If your assessment proves to be sadly accurate, maybe we should mix things up just to confuse OU and consider punting on 3rd down now and then... you know, just to keep OU on their toes 😉 .

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 8:19 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Well, going by his track record, we are due for a game with good AB.   So maybe the score won't be 38-10 OU?  🤞

Hah! Hope you're right. Reminds me of the old Seinfeld episode about Jerry dating the girl who's "two-faced." She's a hotty one time you see her, and then, in different light, she's a real stinker.

399170537_TwoFace.jpg.94230882d7b9e1dbb2b6549eb7aba488.jpg

On 12/17/2021 at 7:04 AM, Cockroach said:

reason to play Brown.

Well, at one time we thought Joe Moorehead would unleash "his offense" now that MC is gone.

However, our interim coach may be joining MC in Miami, so will he insist on AB and a pedestrian offense so as to not make his former, and soon to be current boss, look bad?

• Thumbs Up 1