FishDuck Article

Alamo Bowl: Why Joe Moorhead will Never Play a Freshman Quarterback

We are very lucky to have former Offensive Coordinator Joe Moorhead return to coach the Oregon Offense in the 2021 Alamo Bowl. Considering what I imagine he has been through, it is very gracious on his part. Yet I feel there are other elements behind this decision, and why it feeds into my theory of why the freshmen quarterbacks will ...

Read the full article here...

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Guest Axel

Excellent analysis, Mr. FishDuck. You've conveyed a great deal of information in a succinct number of words. Mario Cristobal excels at selling, so it took a while for most of us to catch on to his flaws. How innovative can Joe Moorhead get in one game? In 11 days, we get to find out.

Charles,  great food for thought......

As I read this article, still wiping my sleepy eyes, I realized a few things at 4:30 am. My thoughts will probably not sit well with the diehards. I apologize in advance....

It wasn't Christmas Eve, after all. So I ate the cookies I left out for Santa. Guess the wife was right, again.

I got that same bitter taste in my mouth after reading your superb article. The same bitter taste I get from all your articles pertaining to the MC Era offense. The same bitter taste after watching the offense under perform.

How could a coach who loves football and supposedly loved Oregon (debatable for sure) methodically destroy the beauty of the Oregon offense? Recognize that beauty and still break it to pieces?

How could I have been so deceived?

I was sold hook line and sinker.... 

Yet, I sat and watched the slow, methodical killing. And still believed what I heard over what I saw.

Worse, how did super talented youngsters watch games with their eyes and then be sold by the empty promises from MC. Not the only sales pitching HC to do this.

Then it struck me! This salesmen brought 3 of Oregons top recruiting talent to the field. MC deserves very little credit for those 37 wins. The youngsters, coupled with their superb talent, deserve the lions share of credit. MC had coached them down. They succeeded in spite of the coach speak and in game weaknesses......

All those wins, PAC crowns and the Rose Bowl win kept the con alive. The zenith of the con was in the shoe. Nothing was held back in every aspect of the game. A thing of beauty. For a con man, the cherry on top of the whipped cream . My faith was restored. Maybe yours, too

Then everything fell flat, game after game. The team was not the same. What the hec. The new con was in play. All the illusion, the emptiness of 37 wins had paid off......

The dream job came calling. The con man could go home........

Sorry for the rant. Charles and many on this forum saw this happening.  They called MC and the different OC's out in articles and post. Yet I still believed the illusion because of the results.

Now that bitter taste has turned to indigestion. Down right stomach ache. Not sure if it was from the cookies or pondering on MC 's offense and empty words.

Can't be the cookies. Hec I have downed a dozen cookies before. Many times and no indigestion.....

• Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Confidence to go for it and execution are two quite different things.

Unless AB has progressed beyond belief in the last few weeks, or our receivers have grown "go go Gaget" type arms, we're bringing a knife to a shootout.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/18/2021 at 5:40 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

As I read this article, still wiping my sleepy eyes, I realized a few things at 4:30 am. My thoughts will probably not sit well with the diehards. I apologize in advance....

It wasn't Christmas Eve, after all. So I ate the cookies I left out for Santa. Guess the wife was right, again.

I got that same bitter taste in my mouth after reading your superb article. The same bitter taste I get from all your articles pertaining to the MC Era offense. The same bitter taste after watching the offense under perform.

How could a coach who loves football and supposedly loved Oregon (debatable for sure) methodically destroy the beauty of the Oregon offense? Recognize that beauty and still break it to pieces?

Yet, I sat and watched the slow, methodical killing. And still believed what I heard over what I saw.

Worse, how did super talented youngsters watch games with their eyes and then be sold by the empty promises from MC. Not the only sales pitching HC to do this.

Then it struck me! This salesmen brought 3 of Oregons top recruiting talent to the field. MC deserves very little credit for those 37 wins. The youngsters, coupled with their superb talent, deserve the lions share of credit. MC had coached them down. They succeeded in spite of the coach speak and in game weaknesses......

All those wins, PAC crowns and the Rose Bowl win kept the con alive. The zenith of the con was in the shoe. Nothing was held back in every aspect of the game. A thing of beauty. For a con man, the cherry on top of the whipped cream . My faith was restored. Maybe yours, too

Then everything fell flat, game after game. The team was not the same. What the hec. The new con was in play. All the illusion, the emptiness of 37 wins had paid off......

Sorry for the rant. Charles and many on this forum saw this happening.  They called MC and the different OC's out in articles and post. Yet I still believed the illusion because of the results.

Now that bitter taste has turned to indigestion. Down right stomach ache. Not sure if it was from the cookies or pondering on MC 's offense and empty words.

Can't be the cookies. Hec I have downed a dozen cookies before. Many times and no indigestion.....

There is the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...". Slick Willie was the original sin. The guy was a hustler and Mullens fell for his scam, as did many Duck faithful. He rode that con to a huge payday with FSU.  That's on Willie.

Then came MC. He sold the players and they wrote the letter. I don't know that MC's game was an actual con. MC, I think, believes himself to be something he is not. He is dam good at selling others on the idea and vision, but Mario has no idea how to bring great football to fruition on the field at game time. I have said that Oregon won on raw talent despite MC's inept game day coaching.

My first thoughts of "Uh oh" came with the first time-out of Marios first game on the sideline. My brother (huge fusky fan) and I talked about Marios coaching abilities from that point on. He knew and I knew, I just wasn't going to let him know I knew. And Fusky had Peterson, dang it! He loved watching me squirm at the thought.

Now we have Lanning. Time will tell if we are being duped a third time. A lot of the same writing on the wall. But this time it feels different.  Lanning seems genuine.  He doesn't have the HC experience SWT and MC had. He does however, have a resume that boasts actual leadership of a unit to unparalleled heights, as does his OC. Something both previous coaches lacked.

I have fully bought into Lanning and his vision. Something I never did with with MC or Slick Willie. I love the vision of the Oregon Ducks new youth movement.  One day I hope to congratulate PK and  RM. This could bring Mullens to being considered one of the greatest AD's in College Football. Going to be a heck of a ride the next couple years.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

Then it struck me! This salesman brought 3 of Oregons top recruiting talent to the field. MC deserves very little credit for those 37 wins. The youngsters, coupled with their superb talent, deserve the lions share of credit. MC had coached them down. They succeeded in spite of the coach speak and in game weaknesses....

Amen brother Duck!  Here's hoping for the best....

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Not sure who said Ty is getting more reps in practice, but there is another scenario too. Not to be oppositional but who recruited Ty and who recruited Anthony? 

If you look at the qb Cristobal recruited to Miami, he is a ringer for AB. The line on him is a great dual threat qb, who has a suspect arm. A 'unique quarterback prospects in the class of 2022 given ability to run the football, struggles at times with accuracy and tends to make some of the easiest throws the most difficult.' AB and Cristobal's new qb show exactly what Cristobal wanted and wants, a big runner, who's throwing is secondary. Saban, and Smart wanted nothing to do with the kid, out of Georgia.

Ty Thompson is Moorhead's qb. Moorhead picked the kid, recruited the kid, he even recruited Ashford at his previous school, but not AB. I think Joe respects AB and appreciates what he has done for Oregon, as we should. My bet is we will see Moorhead's offense unleashed, as stated, and if AB falters he will have no problem putting in his guys.

One way Moorhead's reputation has been tarnished is the lack of qb development. The last thing Joe wants to do is leave Oregon, and let the next guy get all the credit for all the hard work he has put into his guys. My bet, we see Ty sooner than later, because Ty is Joe's qb, and he wants credit for what we will see next year.

How do you like that scenario? 

5ycvoc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 3

Guest KingT

Could it be that Ty and Butter's are just not playbook ready? Remember when people used to say things like, Mario is crushing it in practice or Herbert looks really good in practice?  I haven't heard those murmurs out of any players or practice situations just yet -- or maybe you guys have. Personally, I thought Butters looked as good or better in Spring ball than Ty.

Edited by KingT

On 12/18/2021 at 6:42 AM, Steven A said:

Confidence to go for it and execution are two quite different things.

Unless AB has progressed beyond belief in the last few weeks, or our receivers have grown "go go Gaget" type arms, we're bringing a knife to a shootout.

If he could play the way he did against Oregon State, or most of the game against UCLA....we have a chance.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2021 at 6:47 AM, Log Haulin said:

Now we have Lanning. Time will tell if we are being duped a third time.

Like you, I have no idea how things will work out now, but I really like what I see thus far.  I fully admit to being fooled both previous times, and then as time passed--began to apply some critical analysis.  I will do the same with Lanning and give credit when due and grief where deserved...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2021 at 7:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

AB falters he will have no problem putting in his guys.

That will be interesting to see, thus I will politely disagree on this with you.  It is about time we disagreed on something since we are in lockstep 99% of the instances!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2021 at 7:38 AM, KingT said:

Personally, I thought Butters looked as good or better in Spring ball than Ty.

So did I!  Thus I have no explanation...

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, Charles Fischer said:

So did I!  Thus I have no explanation...

There truly is no explanation. 

Hanging our hats on, AB gives us the best chance to win, is okay on a week to week basis.  So the coaches are telling us that the 3 young QB's didn't develop enough  from spring ball to December 3rd, to get a start?

Okay, fair enough. But you're telling me they didn't develop enough to get more than a smattering of game time plays? Or none at all?

Here's my bold take away........

You coaches are either terrible judges of talent (that can happen) or you lack the talent and ability to develop one, two or three.....

Since Marcus departed and the gift of Justin was squandered please coaches, name me one QB you developed.

I am all ears.............

Coach Lanning appears to be building the staff that can teach and coach all the players.......

Dear Santa please bring Oregon football team the best QB coach available........

Honey have you mailed my Christmas gift wish list off to Santa yet? Got one more wish to add.

Good take Charles, thanks. Cristobal is gone. 62-60 IS Mario Cristobal. A recruiting champ, he just flipped the #1 TE in this class from Alabama to Miami, and a coaching chump.

AB is a gutty kid and he should be admired for being a competitor. Fighting back from 2 injuries to get back on the field is impressive. But AB has started against and defeated 1 top 25 ranked team in 6 seasons of CFB. IMO, AB does not have the talent to beat Oklahoma. How can Moorhead open it up with a guy at QB who has been a 50% or worse passer his entire career and cannot accurately throw a deep ball? Oklahoma is simply going to do what Utah did. Pack the LOS and make a relatively immobile AB win throwing the ball. 

Start Ty or Butterfield if he is the better of the two, against Oklahoma and Bob Stoops and you at least have some big game starting experience for an Oregon QB before teeing it up vs Georgia next season. You will be starting a guy that Oklahoma has not seen on tape and has not game planned against. A guy who has a prayer of throwing an accurate deep ball.

I don't think Brown is owed any sense of loyalty. Brown is a CFL prospect at best who should thank Oregon for giving him the opportunity to start. As a 6th year guy he should be mature enough to understand why a younger guy needs to get some big game experience. I don't think Huard's flame out in the Apple Cup should have any bearing on the starting QB for Oregon. After all, Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams is a true freshman who took over from a guy who was the preseason favorite to win the Heisman.  A 1st time starter at QB, Bryce Young, just won the Heisman trophy. Another 1st time starter, Ohio State's Stroud was invited to the Heisman award ceremony.

I appreciate Moorhead sticking around. But Anthony Brown, unless the OL paves the way for the run game like it did in Columbus, is not taking down Oklahoma led by a phenom QB in Williams. And after the 'onside kick' game in Autzen, Bob Stoops, though coming out of retirement for the Alamo Bowl, will be up for this game and IMO, have the Sooners up for this game. 

Guys considering signing with the Ducks in February or coming to Eugene via the portal will be watching this game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Keep in mind that I am not advocating for Brown, but have simply made my prediction that Moorhead won't go with the inexperienced youth.  As I covered in the article...Joe does not care about Oregon's future; he wants to win for his own national rep., IMHO.

There are other points in the article...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Great analysis and I do agree for the most part, however, I don't think Cristobal was necessarily selling something he didn't believe. From witnessing his poor coaching decisions and stubborn adherence to offensive strategies that didn't work, I think he was just not competent enough to create the offense he was trying to sell. Nor was he able to admit that and defer to brighter offensive minds.

Edited by Buzby
  • Thanks 2

Guest KingT
On 12/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, KingT said:

Could it be that Ty and Butter's are just not playbook ready? Remember when people used to say things like, Mario is crushing it in practice or Herbert looks really good in practice?  I haven't heard those murmurs out of any players or practice situations just yet -- or maybe you guys have. Personally, I thought Butters looked as good or better in Spring ball than Ty.

*Mario should have been Marcus...

Guest KingT
On 12/18/2021 at 9:42 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Hanging our hats on, AB gives us the best chance to win, is okay on a week to week basis.  So the coaches are telling us that the 3 young QB's didn't develop enough  from spring ball to December 3rd, to get a start?

Okay, fair enough. But you're telling me they didn't develop enough to get more than a smattering of game time plays? Or none at all?

You coaches are either terrible judges of talent (that can happen) or you lack the talent and ability to develop one, two or three.....

Since Marcus departed and the gift of Justin was squandered please coaches, name me one QB you developed.

Coach Lanning appears to be building the staff that can teach and coach all the players.......

Dear Santa please bring Oregon football team the best QB coach available........

Honey have you mailed my Christmas gift wish list off to Santa yet? Got one more wish to add.

If Herbert is any indication, those Coaches had no idea how to develop great talent. Mario/Arroyo damn near wasted Herbert...

On 12/18/2021 at 9:30 AM, Buzby said:

I think he was just not competent enough to create the offense he was trying to sell. Nor was he able to admit that and defer to brighter offensive minds

Completely agree.  AB is a game manager, in the mold of two former Alabama QB's, AJ McCarron, Greg McElvoy. Saban has moved on from that type with Tagovailoa and Bryce Young, Cristobal wasn't ready to go with a Thompson, who had potential with the brighter offenses. 

• Like 1

Great article Charles! While I yearn to see the young quarterback talent show their stuff in The Alamo Bowl, it will be a national showcase where Moorhead's reputation will be on the line. Short of Brown getting injured, there is no way a freshmen QB plays in this game. As you astutely pointed out, this isn't going to be a "practice game".

That said, however, even though Brown's skillset is limited, he has shown that he excels in certain areas. Now that Cristobal's wraps are off, I'm interested to see what Moorhead can do to more fully utilize the things Brown can facilitate with his highly talented cast of fellow players at the skill positions.

Why would the interim coaches care about developing talent for next season during their last game coaching in a bowl game? Seems to me it's all about winning the Alamo Bowl vs an OOC weak opponent game where you can test the talent of a new QB.

Edited by GODUCKS15

Good points in the article.

I also think Moorehead’s offense was shackled by the QB. If it wasn’t for Travis Dye’s abilities to get YAC, AB average yds per pass would probably be less than 5. 

Not the most accurate QB we have seen…lol

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, KingT said:

If Herbert is any indication, those Coaches had no idea how to develop great talent. Mario/Arroyo damn near wasted Herbert...

Right! And two years later, Justin is hands-down one of the top QBs in the NFL... which is so wonderful to see happen. And all the more exposes MC.

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting perspective Charles.  Some quick thoughts to consider:

Is Morehead coaching this game for personal reasons, or did Uncle Phil persuade him that the NIKE money at Akron mattered?  Both personal, but not the same.

Will Morehead play AB?  Sure, at least a little.  How else will he lull the Oklahoma D to sleep then surprise them with explosion plays?

Morehead had a serious health scare and packed it up to head homeward to Akron.  Perfect place to play around with his offensive prowess without the pressure of winning anything.  His reputation will come from what he does at Akron.  Will that make a bit of difference to his retirement plan? 

Is Morehead proud of his quarterback recruiting at Oregon?  If so, will he want to show it off at least a little in the Alamo?

Those are my quick thoughts, but I may have more once I give it more time.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Like 1

Excellent article, Charles. I tend to agree with your take. I also appreciate Coach Moorhead's willingness to take on this very challenging assignment -- especially after the year he has had.

I love the fact that the program offered him a bit of a shot at redemption while on his way out, and he chose to seize the opportunity. He deserves it, all the kids certainly deserve it, and so do us fans. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 11:41 AM, Duck1984 said:

Those are my quick thoughts, but I may have more once I give it more time.

The article is strictly my opinion, and I always want to see others.  Thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

However flawed, he will view Anthony Brown as his best chance to cut loose on offense, and I cannot help but wonder if that freedom on offense might not trickle down to the quarterback give him the confidence to go-for-it?

Would truly love to see this happen, but AB's inability to see the field makes me doubt that it will. AB had many opportunities to "operate more freely" on downfield routes, especially in third and long situations, and he appears to be incapable of seeing routes develop or to anticipate receivers coming open. Much as I hope otherwise, I don't see this changing in the last game of his 5-year career.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 6:47 AM, Log Haulin said:

There is the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...". Slick Willie was the original sin. The guy was a hustler and Mullens fell for his scam, as did many Duck faithful. He rode that con to a huge payday with FSU.  That's on Willie.

Then came MC. He sold the players and they wrote the letter. I don't know that MC's game was an actual con. MC, I think, believes himself to be something he is not. He is dam good at selling others on the idea and vision, but Mario has no idea how to bring great football to fruition on the field at game time. I have said that Oregon won on raw talent despite MC's inept game day coaching.

My first thoughts of "Uh oh" came with the first time-out of Marios first game on the sideline. My brother (huge fusky fan) and I talked about Marios coaching abilities from that point on. He knew and I knew, I just wasn't going to let him know I knew. And Fusky had Peterson, dang it! He loved watching me squirm at the thought.

Now we have Lanning. Time will tell if we are being duped a third time. A lot of the same writing on the wall. But this time it feels different.  Lanning seems genuine.  He doesn't have the HC experience SWT and MC had. He does however, have a resume that boasts actual leadership of a unit to unparalleled heights, as does his OC. Something both previous coaches lacked.

I have fully bought into Lanning and his vision. Something I never did with with MC or Slick Willie. I love the vision of the Oregon Ducks new youth movement.  One day I hope to congratulate PK and  RM. This could bring Mullens to being considered one of the greatest AD's in College Football. Going to be a heck of a ride the next couple years.

I wanted what M C appeared to originally be offering. I was excited, until I witnessed a couple of his first games. Since then, I’ve been waiting for M C’s departure. IMO, M C promised what he had no intention of delivering. With Dan Lanning, I know ( as much as this is possible) Oregon Football is once again destined for happy & healthy: exciting Team Play

• Thumbs Up 2

Just had to thank you for the entertainingly truthful read!

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2021 at 8:42 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

About that QB Coach wish, what about Chris Miller? I am totally biased since he was my high school and college star QB before he was in the NFL... Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

With all our losses of starters I propose we start looking at the bowl game as a glorified Spring training game.

Let's get all the players playing and not worry about how the game goes I believe that's the most important thing to do now.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

About that QB Coach wish, what about Chris Miller? I am totally biased since he was my high school and college star QB before he was in the NFL... Thoughts?

Dillinghams a QB coach if he can't do both Miller would be a great hire if he wants to recruit. Would he want to work that hard. Only he knows that. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

The thought seems to be, the season's over, Mario's moved on. We don't need to his QB, Anthony Brown play anymore. What if Thompson, Butterfield, do play in the Alamo Bowl and are injured?  The time for them getting some valuable game experience was during the season; there was a great opportunity with the Bye week., not now, when at best the team is scattered. I'd rather either starting against Georgia with whatever experience he can get from Lanning and Dillingham, etc., than rehabbing this off season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

@30Duck I disagree... we can't look at the bowl game as we better sit them cause they might get injured situation, even with all the players skipping the bowl playing in front of a big crowd to Oklahoma would still be valuable experience.  If we try to protect our QB too much we wind up with a Justin Herbert that doesn't get to show off his game winning legs till the last 2 games of his career.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

FanGirlDuck

Chris Miller would be a very good choice. Nice post. Chris would bring a wealth of real time experience to a young QB. Duck 72 presented a nice post about whether Miller would want to recruit or have the desire to coach.

IMHO, Coach Lanning is going for youth on his staff. Kind of get the feeling he has a plan and is putting his crew together.

But others have posted that a little experience would help. Miller would bring that and make some alumni happy.

Hoping for the best......

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 2:47 PM, deschutesduck said:

.  If we try to protect our QB too much

This is the area we have disagreement. I don't see keeping the freshmen QB's out as "too much protection,".  considering the experience they could gain from this game, when they'll have a new coach and a new OC, next season. Lots too ponder. 

The kids need exposure and experience now.  Granted, they will be learning a new offense next year, so all we would see is their raw talent, including the ability to "see the field".  

It seems to me the backups haven't been consistent enough to sustain drives.  That is typical of freshman ( as UW's fans experienced in the Apple Cup). I want to see how they've developed.  

This game is a perfect time to learn the game against guys they don't see in practice.  Time to learn the speed of the game against a perennial winner.  Time to get ready for elite football.  

I have the feeling that's kids will get developed and will be a much better product next year.  They deserve an opportunity to display their skills (which could be why they won't be showcased- teams may recruit them if they like what they see).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 3:39 PM, John Charles said:

However flawed, he will view Anthony Brown as his best chance to cut loose on offense, and I cannot help but wonder if that freedom on offense might not trickle down to the quarterback give him the confidence to go-for-it?

Would truly love to see this happen, but AB's inability to see the field makes me doubt that it will. AB had many opportunities to "operate more freely" on downfield routes, especially in third and long situations, and he appears to be incapable of seeing routes develop or to anticipate receivers coming open. Much as I hope otherwise, I don't see this changing in the last game of his 5-year career.

Honestly, great post. But cut loose or cut lose? And it's 6 years in CFB for AB.

Is it possible, that we sell OK that AB is the QB, so they practice loading the box and defend the run with AB?  Then you pop in a better passer to eat the D alive?  Or is the problem, the O line not able to pass protect for QB's that need time to read defense and WR progressions?  Because that Utah game, both Utah games were disasters and the last one, leaving AB in made NO SENSE!  This guy will not be your future and the Offense, needed a Boost that AB could not provide.  What was sad was the D was fighting, the O had no fight and was a NO SHOW.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 4:34 PM, Mike West said:

The kids need exposure and experience now.  Granted, they will be learning a new offense next year, so all we would see is their raw talent, including the ability to "see the field".  

It seems to me the backups haven't been consistent enough to sustain drives.  That is typical of freshman ( as UW's fans experienced in the Apple Cup). I want to see how they've developed.  

This game is a perfect time to learn the game against guys they don't see in practice.  Time to learn the speed of the game against a perennial winner.  Time to get ready for elite football.  

I have the feeling that's kids will get developed and will be a much better product next year.  They deserve an opportunity to display their skills (which could be why they won't be showcased- teams may recruit them if they like what they see).

I find it hard to believe that THREE QB's, two with Three years in, Ashford and Butters, have no grasp of the system, playbook.  Shough showed us a he had trouble in making decisions and executing but the short training due to Covid and lack of practice easily explains that.  But we if you look at all the film, how much more time AB had, he barely eeked out consistent wins for Oregon. 

I believe he is given unwarranted credit for the Ohio State win.  When to me, Ohio State, Cristoballed it, like we did against Stanford.  Still makes me sick to my stomach, watching it go down the toilet in the LAST TWO MINUTES, O M G, please stop the nightmares!  But again, just my opinion.

• Like 2

Utah State starting QB had to leave the game vs Oregon State tonight.  Sophomore #3 backup QB is 9/16 155 yards 2 TD and 0 INT... he had never thrown a pass in college before...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:00 PM, deschutesduck said:

Utah State starting QB had to leave the game vs Oregon State tonight.  Sophomore #3 backup QB is 9/16 155 yards 2 TD and 0 INT... he had never thrown a pass in college before...

The Beavs? Is the Mountain West better than the Pac top to bottom? Fresno won its game today.

I think Cristobal left his playbook to Jonathan Smith.

• Haha 2

On 12/18/2021 at 7:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The Beavs? Is the Mountain West better than the Pac top to bottom? Fresno won its game today.

Starting to look like it, Utah State's defense is smothering them.  Also the Utah St 3d string qb on his first play changed the play at the line of scrimmage and threw a touchdown as his first pass.  I want to see if our backups are even remotely comparable or if we need to be finding someone in the transfer portal.

Why it is so important to vet our qb's of the future.  If they are questionable, we need a experienced qb to back them up in case of injury or incompetence.  As per the old coaching staffs evaluations.

On 12/18/2021 at 7:00 PM, deschutesduck said:

And that very first pass was a long bomb for a TD!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just have to say, it is nice to see a long time Duck fan and supporter, have such spot on insight into the what has been occurring, the last few years with Cristobal as head coach.  The way the current transition is occurring, I think the team and staff might struggle, in 2022, but I am excited for the team, moving forward.