Charles Fischer

Recruiting War: Lanning vs. Cristobal

I hope Lanning wins these and goes into the state of Florida and creates some recruiting havoc next year....

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

While Cristobal left A LOT to be desired as an actual coach, he is a master at schmoozing recruits and their parents. He knows how to work a living room demonstrated by the fact that was recently able to turn a highly ranked Alabama commit to sign with Miami instead. That said, Lanning and his staff know that the proof is in the pudding as far as Cristobal's record goes in the area of player development.

There are already rumblings from underpaid professors and staff at Miami regarding the exorbitant amount of money being spent on the football program which is going to put even more pressure on Mario to produce immediately. There could even be an NCAA investigation coming up for recent Miami sins which is not a good look.

I like Nike supported Lanning's chances in the future going head to head with Mario. We will lose out to Mario and others this year as Lanning has to first focus on building his staff and getting his program revved up (I sure hated losing T Mac to Arizona), but Lanning is putting together a staff that will truly be a force to reckon with on the future recruiting front.

• Thumbs Up 5

There is a hope that wherever our Recruiting rankings land with DL compared to MC, the player development will increase. It just about has to, doesn't it? The Portal will need to be Oregon's friend, and by the time DL has his coaching staff assembled, Oregon should be an attractive destination for players. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Nothing we can do to change the fact that Cristobal wins on the recruiting trail. He just beat Saban, and will beat Lanning at times.

The measure of a coach comes game day, not signing day, or preseason ranking day either.

Lanning will put together a very good class, and develop talent. I look forward to focusing on all the elements which make a great team, not just recruiting. That is what Cristobal hangs his hat on, we don't let him wear our hats or hang them on our rack anymore!

It is time to move on from the precept Cristobal sold so many, recruiting is what we should focus on. 

We should focus on the fierce defense Lanning sold us and get back to, what Charles has harped on, our offense scoring a load of points. The Cristoball offense is coming to an end, and the Oregon we all love is on the way back! Time to continue what started long ago!

Unknown-3.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 8

Short term Mario: Physicality blah blah blah. Long term Lanning: Player development, on field results.

• Thumbs Up 12
  • Like 1

Guest KingT

This year will hurt and it burns me that Cristobal would pull these kids away from Oregon, but it's the wild west in recruiting and I guess everything goes. It sucks. But Lanning will have to start recruiting his butt off to compete. To me, Lanning's first goal has to be to get his coaches lined up and keep his existing team together. Second, focus on recruits and transfer portal. We need a super hero effort out of him because Mario will promise the world and deliver Delaware.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:54 AM, latracey said:

I sure hated losing T Mac to Arizona

Can't blame the kid, he was probably out the door before MC left if he was paying attention to M Pittman.  Stay home, play with friends and get treated as promised by the coach that recruited him.

As for other battles, can't win them all.  

Since no more signings until Feb., we will see what DL and his staff can do.  

• Like 2

Oregon has proven that a well coached program can beat teams with higher ranked players. It’s ironic that the Ducks became the team with better talent getting out coached. 

Who knows what will happen with recruiting. I do know that the team needs to play well together to be successful. One or two five star players are trumped by a team that is well coached all the time. 

Defensively I think we will be good.

On offense, get a good QB, surround him with solid talent, and get them to play as a team. Coaching does make a difference.

Btw…we have the components, let’s get this party started.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Lanning and his new team likely have plans to get the players they want, regardless of what Miami does.  

Uncle Phil has the juice to help Lanning, while Mario is dependent on less credible supporters and a soccer shoe company from Germany.

How many Florida players want to hear about the old bullying U as opposed to the return of the high flying Ducks?  We will see.

Edited by Duck1984
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 11:31 AM, Drake said:

Btw…we have the components, let’s get this party started.

I'd take Oregon in a game between Lanning's "O" and Cristobal's "U" at the end of next season.

Miami will be under water before any new stadium gets built.

• Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I don’t understand how Cristobal can be so successful at recruiting:

1) He can’t coach

2) He’s shown he’ll split at the first pretty girl that waves at him

I’d only sign with him if no other major program didn’t offer me.  Lucky for me, I won’t have that problem….as no school’s ever gonna offer me!

On 12/18/2021 at 12:14 PM, jrw said:

Miami will be under water before any new stadium gets built.

Yes, both Gators and Hurricanes will return to dominance, just not how they expect.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That’s recruiting. I Can’t blame Mario. He built those relationships and has the time invested in those players. That said, he had better produce fairly quickly because he is being funded by “new money” boosters.

These guys aren’t old heads like PK. They  pulled together a ton of money in a short amount of time. They’re not just starting out with new uniforms and a branding change. They’re all in. They want it all now. Unlike PK who started slow and eventually built up the infrastructure while keeping the nucleus of coaches around. The history of Oregon’s football program is like a spring fed river. They bubbled to the surface with PK’s help and have maintained a steady flow ever since.

Miami is expecting a deluge of rain to get their river flowing. They want a quick return on their investment. They’re paying Mario a lot of money to make that flood happen. However, the worst thing that could’ve happened for him happened when Dabo had a down year. Clemson is now perceived as vulnerable, so if Mario isn’t at least an ACC champion in two seasons then he’ll be on a short leash. He’ll definitely be fired after 3 seasons with no conference championship and Clemson isn’t going away.

• Thumbs Up 1

I question the IQ of any player/recruit that still wants to play for MC after watching the Ducks struggle against bad teams.  Were they not paying attention?  A blind man could see that he couldn't and can't coach a lick. 

Besides maybe Big Joe and the RB coach, I don't think any coaches from MC's staff, earned their paycheck and made the Ducks better.  I'm glad to see most of them going.  Mark my words, MC and many of those coaches will be seeking new employment in a year or two from now. 

I'm still undecided about Moorhead.  He may not have had any say on the starting QB or total control over the plays being called.  However, you can't deny that he failed at one of, if not the single most important duty as OC which is to groom and produce a game ready QB.  I know that Covid limited the number of practices last year, but there were a number of other teams that made a true frosh QB work for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Someone made a comment the other day about how Cristobal and Taggart have more in common than first perceived. I understand that it is just a business and just a job, but does Cristobal not have any respect, let alone loyalty, to the program he supposedly loved? Yes again it's just a job, but it seems like poor tactics to try to go after the players you recruited so hard to come to Oregon and then change their minds and say oh I meant Miami... I know it's not that simple but it seems like it is. 

I guess what I mean is it seems disingenuous to say to a recruit Oregon is the school that you should be at, and then turn around and try to pull them to a different school just because it's where you are.  This tells me that Cristobal was recruiting players to him, not Oregon.

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Thumbs Up 4

Have to say it in a polite non political manner...   I have NO respect for Mario..   To me, just another grifter!  BS is BS however one cuts it.

Good riddance and hope I don't have to hear much more about him or the players foolish enough to follow him.

Go ducks..  Better, better and Best!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:08 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Short term Mario: Physicality blah blah blah. Long term Lanning: Player development, on field results.

We got a taste of all that physicality against Utah which was a joke. I have to laugh at Mario who refuses to change certain things and I don't think we will have to worry about that with Lanning. Already have a great feeling about our new OCs ability to work with his QBs. Not a team strength with our last HC. I don't think I've ever seen where the coach didn't give somebody else a chance and that's why it's called competition. Or why play there. I'm not watching the Alamo bowl because if they lose and let AB stand back there all game that hurts going forwards.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do wish Lanning was here full time as of now. You cannot serve two masters. Lanning has done a very good job at UGA but the guy truly in charge of the D is Kirby Smart who was Saban's DC at Bama before returning to his alma mater as HC.

Is anyone paying attention to the portal? How many hours can Lanning put into getting more recruits signed on in February?

And Mullens? How in the heck can you allow a guy who is probably off to Miami and refuses to re-commit to Oregon, to serve as the HC for the bowl game? THIS = amateur hour.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 12/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I do wish Lanning was here full time as of now. You cannot serve two masters. Lanning has done a very good job at UGA but the guy truly in charge of the D is Kirby Smart who was Saban's DC at Bama before returning to his alma mater as HC.

Is anyone paying attention to the portal? How many hours can Lanning put into getting more recruits signed on in February?

And Mullens? How in the heck can you allow a guy who is probably off to Miami and refuses to re-commit to Oregon, to serve as the HC for the bowl game? THIS = amateur hour.

Agree as coaches take sides, show them the door they have chosen to go through, and take their keys!

Mullens thinks he is staying above the fray, but he is getting run over by Mario and is a tool of the opponents. This isn't a game social engagement where etiquette rules. This is war and only one side is aware of the game being played. We are merely hoping the other side plays fair, not a good game plan. Mullens need to act more like an official ensuring each side plays fair, and stays on their side.

My bet is Lanning is doing a great job. He is putting together the coaches he wants. He is also aware of recruits and those in the transfer portal. He also needs administration help knowing coaches aren't in the program pulling players away.

Smart has his program protected, he has said as much, knew Lanning was a head coach candidate, and limited his recruiting duties. Smart is still the head coach and is managing Lanning.

Mullens is acting like an ignorant fool, with his staffing choices and management, and is not helping Lanning at all. Our head coach is a coach of the Miami Hurricanes, does that make sense! Wake up Mullens! You may not have known he was going to Miami, but you have no excuse now for keeping him as the leader of our program. Make Big Joe head coach, now!

5ygdl2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, Haywarduck said:

Agree as coaches take sides, show them the door they have chosen to go through, and take their keys!

Mullens thinks he is staying above the fray, but he is getting run over by Mario and is a tool of the opponents. This isn't a game social engagement where etiquette rules. This is war and only one side is aware of the game being played. We are merely hoping the other side plays fair, not a good game plan. Mullens need to act more like an official ensuring each side plays fair, and stays on their side.

My bet is Lanning is doing a great job. He is putting together the coaches he wants. He is also aware of recruits and those in the transfer portal. He also needs administration help knowing coaches aren't in the program pulling players away.

Smart has his program protected, he has said as much, knew Lanning was a head coach candidate, and limited his recruiting duties. Smart is still the head coach and is managing Lanning.

Mullens is acting like an ignorant fool, with his staffing choices and management, and is not helping Lanning at all. Our head coach is a coach of the Miami Hurricanes, does that make sense! Wake up Mullens! You may not have known he was going to Miami, but you have no excuse now for keeping him as the leader of our program. Make Big Joe head coach, now!

5ygdl2.jpg

Great stuff. I honestly wonder how Mullens stays employed. Especially when he went after both the UGA and A+M AD jobs. The bowl game 'strategy?' How hard are players going to put out for a coach that they know is gone after the bowl game?

3 Stooges is perfect.  Mullens should be there as the 4th stooge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard to blame MC for going after recruits in whom he and his staff invested a lot of time - particularly when some of us are hoping Lanning manages to bring some UGA recruits with him. 

It's unfortunate the recruiting situation we're in at the moment, but let's focus on the long game.  If this guy is as good as advertised, we'll stay in the same recruiting neighborhood AND have actual coaching and player development.

And if he's not, losing a few of these guys won't matter much anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest KingT
On 12/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, Duckdude said:

I don’t understand how Cristobal can be so successful at recruiting:

1) He can’t coach

2) He’s shown he’ll split at the first pretty girl that waves at him

I’d only sign with him if no other major program didn’t offer me.  Lucky for me, I won’t have that problem….as no school’s ever gonna offer me!

and I don't think he knows talent or can develop talent. He recruits by stars, not his eyes.

Everyone loves a “win - win situation “. You guys are happy to be rid of Mario ……………we’re happy to have him!  Sorted! 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We're happy to get a coach that can recruit. You're happy to get a recruiter that doesn't know Xs from Os.

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

“It’s all about the Jimmy’s and Joe’s, not the X’s and O’s” 

On 12/19/2021 at 6:48 PM, Captaincane said:

That's what we said too in the beginning.  Remember...we've been waiting four years for him to truly "get-it," hoping he would change.  You will wish for Diaz in terms of game management, and enjoy Cristobal for recruiting as we did.

You will be restless with him in three years, and if not--come back and remind me!  Good luck...he's yours now!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/19/2021 at 6:48 PM, Captaincane said:

I realize Cristobal hasn't been head coach for a Miami game yet but i'm going to have to call a time out on this comment.

• Haha 3

Mario is a great recruiter. If he could learn the CEO aspect of his job then he would be right up there with the great ones. This means hiring great coordinators and coaches and letting them do their jobs. It also means striking a fine balance between schmoozing boosters and also telling them to back off. He is in desperate need of great facilities, but they need to come with no strings attached. 

These will all be big challenges for him. He had been known to meddle in the offensive scheme which killed creativity and innovation. He never had to deal with difficult boosters. Phil Knight was around long before him and knew the needs of the program. He also never had to worry about facilities. He had world class facilities in a several acre plot on the north side of the Willamette. These don’t even include the new indoor practice field that’s being built to replace the Moshofsky. 

Mario can only preach so long to these new recruits about how he, Armstead and Perryman didn’t need nice facilities or new equipment to win championships. Kids these days aren’t programmed like that. They want it all and they want it now. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 2

I know little of Oregon football ………you know less about Manny Diaz as a coach. The man never played a down of HS or College Football. His claim to fame as Miami’s Coach is “the Turn-Over Chain” and his father having been Miami Mayor.  South FL is arguably the most talent rich area in the nation.  Manny’s 2022 class (before being fired) was #66. In less than 1 week MC improved UM’s ranking to #49, and stole a TE from Alabama-Saban. 

Alabama - Saban’s  …………is the  premier coach in CFB history and his record is based on Recruiting ………not X & O’s. Saban consistently has top 5 recruiting classes but changes coordinators continually. Based on MC’s history within 3 years or less …………he will be stacking top 10 recruiting classes into perpetuity. And y’all know that!

But glad to hear that both fan base are happy. 

MD=21-15 (0-2 bowls)

MC=35-13 (2 of 3 bowls)

• Haha 1

By all means keep feeling thrilled with your new coach but you may want to pay closer attention to the fact that after four years of Mario ball, there aren't that many folks around here that are sad that he's gone. Great recruiter but way to stubborn and self assured to learn from his many coaching mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Captaincane....you have been a reasonable poster, and a great representative of Miami.  But please take note...I am a 35 year season ticket holder and the owner of a site that covers/analyzes Oregon football for the last ten years.

Mario Cristobal is the worst in-game manager I've ever seen as a coach at Oregon.  (He was actually booed at a home game this season!) His offense only averaged 31 points per game this last year, and you may want to read my article from yesterday right here.   It blew up yesterday for over double the usual pageviews, and our Sunday writer could not come through...so my article from Saturday continued as the lead article today.  Even today it got a typical great day's pageviews....so two days in a row.  Guess the subject?

The player development under Cristobal has been the worst of any coach in memory, and do note the mental mistakes covered about halfway down in this article for a preview of what you will see. (Remember that this critical article was written before Cristobal left for Florida)

You think he will change...but after four years we know he will not.  He is not the greatest recruiter at Oregon, as Willie Taggart had a higher class going until he decided to leave and Mario saved most of it, but not all. 

I give both Taggart and Cristobal enormous credit for breaking the recruiting glass ceiling at Oregon.  But if your name is not Saban...you have a flaw as a coach.  For Diaz and Helfrich at Oregon...there was a recruiting weakness, among many others.  For Mario...it is in a ton of places. but not recruiting.

You will want to check back in two years and keep us updated, as there is much more to coaching than recruiting.

Mario Cristobal_247 Video.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2021 at 1:01 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

That’s recruiting. I Can’t blame Mario. He built those relationships and has the time invested in those players. That said, he had better produce fairly quickly because he is being funded by “new money” boosters.

These guys aren’t old heads like PK. They  pulled together a ton of money in a short amount of time. They’re not just starting out with new uniforms and a branding change. They’re all in. They want it all now. Unlike PK who started slow and eventually built up the infrastructure while keeping the nucleus of coaches around. The history of Oregon’s football program is like a spring fed river. They bubbled to the surface with PK’s help and have maintained a steady flow ever since.

Miami is expecting a deluge of rain to get their river flowing. They want a quick return on their investment. They’re paying Mario a lot of money to make that flood happen. However, the worst thing that could’ve happened for him happened when Dabo had a down year. Clemson is now perceived as vulnerable, so if Mario isn’t at least an ACC champion in two seasons then he’ll be on a short leash. He’ll definitely be fired after 3 seasons with no conference championship and Clemson isn’t going away.

Well I said after 4 but more than likely after 3 seasons your right he'll be fired from his dream job. A great coach usually when he gets the job he wanted his staff comes with. Well lets be honest here as I don't believe that his staff liked him a whole lot. The only coach that followed him yep you guessed it Minnie Me.

• Like 1

I’ve read your great forum for a while now ………and few Oregon fans wanted MC to leave ………now y’all are passing the bitter cup convincing each other that recruiting is secondary.  I lived in Alabama for 8 years and here’s a few facts: “ Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide landed the top-ranked recruiting class every year between 2012-17, then again in 2019 and 2021. Georgia won the recruiting title belt in 2018 and 2020. This season, Alabama signed the highest-rated class in history. Strange that the Crimson Tide reach the College Football Playoff virtually every year, isn’t it?” 

On 12/19/2021 at 8:37 PM, MaiTaiDuck said:

The only coach that followed him, yep, you guessed it, Minnie Me.

Oh my gosh....you have no idea how funny that is to yours-truly and a Duck-Buddy of mine.  If it was not so late on the East-Coast...I would call him and howl about this nickname.  I wish you had shared it sooner!

Great stuff MaiTaiDuck!

Alex Mirabal coaching Jacob Capra_KC.jpg

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/19/2021 at 8:40 PM, Captaincane said:

y’all are passing the bitter cup

My fellow green friend...I never, EVER said that recruiting is not important.  But it is only the base; you must have players develop once you get them, and there must be a strategy to use them effectively.  Had Mario stayed....we would have had an exodus of player out via the portal.

But hey--I wish you the best!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

For Miami fans a newly favored son is returning home as a savior for the new old U program.  Maybe The Rock will play him in a movie someday?  The Chrystal Ball?

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles Fischer - great response I enjoyed the read and respect your experience-knowledge. I’m dirt old and I’ve been a loyal Cane fan for 55 years ………even when living in Anacortes WA. I’ve been there for UMs EIGHT national championship games and 5 title wins. You may be right with your opinion and interpretation of data …………and then maybe not. As you know COORDINATORS are critical to the performance of any team.

I believe that Mario will hire better coordinators for Miami …………maybe not. Also as you may know …………UM has one of the best young QBs in CFB. QB VanDyke a freshman was ACC of the year. He threw for 6 consecutive games of about 350 yards. Behind him is Californian Garcia a high 4 or 5 star QB. 

To me here’s the bottom line: Oregon was 10-3; UM was 7-5. The Miami fans believe that MC can do better than 7-5, can MC win our 6th NC …………Unk but there are people betting $8M a year that he can improve the program. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad that I won't be bored watching UO football. Anyone's offense will be more entertaining than I watched these Cristobal years!

I won't have to watch Mario call time out before the first play of the 2nd half ever again.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Captaincane....Oregon had a OC that had one of the best national reputations, certainly better than the rumored hire of Coach McClendon for Miami.  Yet Cristobal trashed his reputation as an OC, and now he has recovery work to do.  

It actually will not matter who is OC...and please see the sixth post in this thread.  You will see, my Florida friend...you will see.

How about a Gentleman's bet?  I will bet a case of Oregon Craft Beer IPAs vs. two boxes of premium Florida oranges that your quarterback's stats will decline next year under Cristobal.  ???

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Just a couple quick responses.  Not sure why Mario will suddenly hire better coordinators but I guess it is possible.  He has a lot of hiring experience as we had five different coordinators during his four years.

As for quarterback he had the 2020 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year who didn't even make first or second team all Pac-12.  Is that a coach who gets the most from his players?

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

Charles Fischer - I’m not challenging your knowledge but I’m questing your interpretations. Facts and history just don’t support your conclusions. Can’t develop talent? Below NFL prediction draft and record at Alabama. 

1. Detroit Lions: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Edge, Oregon

Penei Sewell,  st round, #7 pick. 

I do not think that MC slept walked through 4 years with the GOAT @ Alabama and has forgotten what he learned. Or won two National Championships playing for Hall of Fame coaches Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson. 

Cristobal's Alabama offensive line was awarded as the nation's best in 2015, winning the inaugural Joe Moore Award given to the toughest, most physical line in the nation.[13] His offensive line ranked in the top 25 nationally in sacks allowed in each of his first two seasons. Alabama's offensive lines produced standout players and NFL draft picks under Cristobal, including first-team All-American and 2015 first-round draft pick Ryan Kelly and 2014 freshman All-American Cam Robinson, who went on to win the Outland Trophy in Cristobal's final year with Alabama.[14]

perhaps we can continue our enjoyable exchanges later. It’s late on the east coast. 

I like Mario as a person and his recruiting skills, I might sue him for my liver damage due to his play calling in game but my lawyer says not to go into specifics.  That said what Mario taught me was recruiting was important but not everything... it's like lincoln riley relying offense or kirby smart relying on defense and then getting clobbered... you need both... recruiting and coaching and offense and defense to win the big games.

I wish mario the best at Miami and I'll definitely be curious to see how he does.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, Captaincane said:

Charles Fischer - I’m not challenging your knowledge but I’m questing your interpretations. Facts and history just don’t support your conclusions. Can’t develop talent? Below NFL prediction draft and record at Alabama.

And yet Herbert the QB that has set more NFL records than I can count was looked at by many as a bust because of how he played at Oregon.  Provide an example of where Mario has coached up talent instead of just handing off talent that was already seen as a first round draft pick coming out of high school.

Also being successful on a championship team 30 years ago does not mean you'll be a championship coach.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/19/2021 at 7:28 PM, Captaincane said:

Everyone loves a “win - win situation “. You guys are happy to be rid of Mario ……………we’re happy to have him!  Sorted! 

That’s been my point of view all along. MC will be great for Miami. He’s an excellent recruiter, a solid guy, and will do a great job getting the U back on track. Meanwhile, Oregon was never going to be able to recruit players so good that the Ducks could consistently win despite his coaching, and his boring, low scoring, offense was killing the Oregon brand. Everyone wins. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Miami Fans,

I wish you the best of Luck with Mario, to change the U's direction.  Everyone should be proud of his or her team every season.  Pride reflected in the program, athletes representing your school.  Best Wishes.

As an Oregon Fan, I will say, I look forward to the opportunities that Dan Lanning represents to Oregon Football, HOPE.  Hope that Oregon provides an entertaining and competitive football team.  Hope that the coaches take young men and build strong, competitive athletes, that work as a team.  Hope that strong performances lead to consistent wins elevating the schools ranking at the highest levels.  Hope that success leads to athletes getting into the Pros or fulfilling educational goals and success in life.  Hope that the coaches realize the efforts may lead to upward mobility and national recognition with compensation.  GO DUCKS!

Guest Axel
On 12/19/2021 at 6:28 PM, Captaincane said:

CaptainCane, be prepared to go down with the ship, when Admiral Cristobal flubs, fumbles, and flounders, as he surely will. There is only one victor in this scenario, and it assuredly is not the USS Miami. 

It is very simple - Mario's record is 62-60. Mario is a recruiting champ and coaching chump. The Miami kids played hard for Manny. Do not expect the same with Mario whose team often shows up completely unprepared for the game.

Bowl wins? Include a 1 point win over a multi loss MI ST team, a 1 point win over 3L Wisconsin and a complete no show L vs Iowa State in the Fiesta Bowl.

• Thumbs Up 3

Nothing new here. Fans will always see the glass as half full on their side, and half empty on the other.

Not going to badmouth Mario for what he’s good at. That’s how he got the job in the first place — by letting the players talk our swishy-washy AD into hiring him. He can recruit — period. 

However, that should be a strength for DL going toe to toe. The before and after picture with MC has more than enough evidence to suggest to any recruit MC can’t deliver on what he promises. DL can capitalize on that. 

In some ways, MC reminds me of Ernie. Both were (are) great recruiters, but the only real success both ever had was when they had superior field generals (Justin Herbert, Luke Ridnour). Take that away, and their coaching deficiencies became obvious.

Mullens needs to go. It’s becoming apparent he’s more concerned with his ‘national committee’ image than he is with his obligation to Oregon’s success. Just another Peter Principal  case: kick him upstairs.