Charles Fischer

Recruiting War: Lanning vs. Cristobal

Axel, thanks for the well wishes. Why wasn’t MC fired from Oregon for poor performance?  Oregon tried to keep MC ………until it became clear he was off to Miami.  He only became a loser after he decided to leave. 

UM’s  been mediocre for 20 years thru 4 coaches since playing for 9 National Championships and winning 5. Mario is a big upgrade for us, but ………Why would Mario return to Miami? A few thing you know, some you don’t and more you don’t understand or care about. 

CULTURE: MC is Cuban-American first generation ………his parents exiled from their home only 90 miles fm FL by a brutal communist dictator. His parents arriving in Miami with nothing. Thousands of Cubans lost their lives in the FL straights fleeing on rickety boats and rafts. Miami welcomed the Cubans ………it is now their home ……their refuge. The Cuban family and culture is unique. There is a bond between Cubans and Miami like no other location.  At midnight you can find Cubans at the crowded Versailles Restaurant on SW 8th St (Calle Ocho) drinking Cuban coffee, eating a Medianchoe sandwich and still talking about Brigade 2506, Freedom Flights and pontificating about Cuba becoming free. Most presidential hopefuls make the obligatory appearance at the Versailles ………the political oasis for Cubans. Miami is the home of millions of Cuban-Americans …………even if they don’t live there ……the force is strong.  And MC, although 1st generation is still Cuban. 

FOOTBALL. As you know MC as a player won 2 National Championships at Miami. He’s coached at …or In miami for 20 years. He knows every high school in South Florida intimately and still has relationships with most of the coaches. Within a 90 minutes drive he can reach arguably the most concentrated HS football talent in the nation ……leaving home after breakfast ………visiting 4-5 high school football powerhouses and be home for dinner. This compared to flights and days away from home recruiting CA.  The $$ was similar in Oregon or the Canes and I believe the path to a NC is easier for the Canes because of the abundance of talent in SoFl.   Nick Saban can’t live forever. 

MC Returned for the above reasons but none as strong as his sick mother, his brother, aunts-uncles, his friends, his former teammates, his college, and because as a Cuban-American ……………Miami will always be home!

Guest KingT

Mario was demoted by Saban for a reason - and it wasn't because he couldn't recruit. 

On 12/20/2021 at 4:55 PM, Captaincane said:

until it became clear he was off to Miami.  He only became a loser after he decided to leave.

It's now c;lear that Mario was "Off to Miami" with 3 games left in the season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Jon Joseph, I’ve repeatedly acknowledged I know little about Oregon football. Since I started reading this forum several weeks ago I’ve been greatly impressed and educated ………but You’ve made a statements that reflect you need more info about Cane football. Most glaring is your statement  “the Miami kids  played hard for Manny”. Not true. 

Just two examples there are more ……………‘Last year the Canes lost to UNC 62 - 26 ( 36 pts loss) and brother that ain’t the worst of it. Manny the defensive guru gave up 778 total yards. Say that with me …………778 total yards and a 36 point lost all with a good bowl on the line. 

In 2019 Manny’s team played hard giving up 30 points to Florida International University and giving FIU their biggest WIN in their school history. Do you know that Manny Diaz never played a down of high school or college football and he ain’t no MS Mike Leach.

* for the life of me - I can not understand why ………one day posters were wringing their hand afraid of MC leaving and immediately after he announced he was going to Miami ……… he became a coaching bum. 

• Thumbs Up 2

He only became a loser after he decided to leave. 

I have published several articles where I did not advocate a change from Cristobal because I could not see a better replacement despite his flaws.  Had I known that Dan Lanning would have been an alternative--I would have been on board with that immediately!

You don't need to sell us on why it is good for Mario to come home; we are delighted with him returning home.  You are happy and we are, so...no problem!

P.S. You WILL see the quarterback's numbers drop next season and I can already hear the excuses...but in three years you will admit we were right here.  We know him, we know his strengths and weaknesses and all parties are happy, so,--cool.

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Sometimes MC statements sounded like this ... “In the garden, growth has its seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.”

• Haha 2

Captain Cane I wish you luck with winning it all. There was always hope with Mario, as he kept up the sales pitch every time he spoke, or moved. Sometimes salesman come up with the big sale and win it all.

I hope both programs can reach their goals, but our goal is reached first. I am sure you feel the same. Best of luck, Mario is a good man and we benefited from his time here.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/20/2021 at 9:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I have published several articles where I did not advocate a change from Cristobal because I could not see a better replacement despite his flaws.  Had I known that Dan Lanning would have been an alternative--I would have been on board with that immediately!

You don't need to sell us on why it is good for Mario to come home; we are delighted with him returning home.  You are happy and we are, so...no problem!

P.S. You WILL see the quarterback's numbers drop next season and I can already hear the excuses...but in three years you will admit we were right here.  We know him, we know his strengths and weaknesses and all parties are happy, so,--cool.

Charles Fischer, you were happy enough with MC that you didn’t explore getting another HC. You were happy enough when MC beat Ohio State in Columbus. Boy I wish  you’d have fired Mario - it would have made it far cheaper for the Canes.

‘And w/r/t betting me about our QBs numbers dropping ………that’s not a meaningful team metric. Here’s the bet two smart men would make: I’ll bet that the Canes win more games in 2022 than they did in 2021. And that’s a sucker bet for me because next year the Canes play TAM and Clemson at their places. Sound good? 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, Captaincane said:

* for the life of me - I can not understand why ………one day posters were wringing their hand afraid of MC leaving and immediately after he announced he was going to Miami ……… he became a coaching bum. 

There are a few posters on here who started calling for Mario’s head after the Arizona, Stanford and Cal games. That number grew exponentially after the first Utah game.

Some saw that the big recruits were just average players being coached by below average coaches. Others thought he could right the ship. I was one of those. I said it took Dabo 9 seasons to win a championship and that Mario needed more time.

However, after the conference championship game when the rumors of him leaving started then everybody’s light clicked on. This guy was leaving all along and gave a half hearted coaching effort due to him having one foot out the door. So, if you’re having trouble understanding why he became a bum then just watch the Utah games. His ineptitude was obvious and no amount of talented recruits could overcome it. 

Add the fact that Thibadeaux and him supposedly got into a shouting match at halftime where they were trading insults. It’s obvious that the players knew what was going on before the fans did.

• Thumbs Up 4

Guest Axel

Axel, thanks for the well wishes. Why wasn’t MC fired from Oregon for poor performance?  Oregon tried to keep MC ………until it became clear he was off to Miami.  He only became a loser after he decided to leave. 

UM’s  been mediocre for 20 years thru 4 coaches since playing for 9 National Championships and winning 5. Mario is a big upgrade for us, but ………Why would Mario return to Miami? A few thing you know, some you don’t and more you don’t understand or care about. 

CULTURE: MC is Cuban-American first generation ………his parents exiled from their home only 90 miles fm FL by a brutal communist dictator. His parents arriving in Miami with nothing. Thousands of Cubans lost their lives in the FL straights fleeing on rickety boats and rafts. Miami welcomed the Cubans ………it is now their home ……their refuge. The Cuban family and culture is unique. There is a bond between Cubans and Miami like no other location.  At midnight you can find Cubans at the crowded Versailles Restaurant on SW 8th St (Calle Ocho) drinking Cuban coffee, eating a Medianchoe sandwich and still talking about Brigade 2506, Freedom Flights and pontificating about Cuba becoming free. Most presidential hopefuls make the obligatory appearance at the Versailles ………the political oasis for Cubans. Miami is the home of millions of Cuban-Americans …………even if they don’t live there ……the force is strong.  And MC, although 1st generation is still Cuban. 

FOOTBALL. As you know MC as a player won 2 National Championships at Miami. He’s coached at …or In miami for 20 years. He knows every high school in South Florida intimately and still has relationships with most of the coaches. Within a 90 minutes drive he can reach arguably the most concentrated HS football talent in the nation ……leaving home after breakfast ………visiting 4-5 high school football powerhouses and be home for dinner. This compared to flights and days away from home recruiting CA.  The $$ was similar in Oregon or the Canes and I believe the path to a NC is easier for the Canes because of the abundance of talent in SoFl.   Nick Saban can’t live forever. 

MC Returned for the above reasons but none as strong as his sick mother, his brother, aunts-uncles, his friends, his former teammates, his college, and because as a Cuban-American ……………Miami will always be home!

CaptainCane, I respect your passion, and I do appreciate your opinions about Coach Cristobal. I also have great respect and admiration for the Cuban-American community--its history, heritage, and culture. 

Yes, it is true that our AD tried to keep Cristobal, a move that I found both puzzling and infuriating. You see, I've been off the Cristobal fan-bandwagon for a while. And as you can see from this forum, many fellow Duck devotees had lost faith in Cristobal even prior to those two embarrassing mollywhoppings to the Utah Utes. 

Thousands and thousands of Duck fans are delighted that Cristobal jumped ship to go back home. We are confident that within a year or two, you'll understand the reasonings for our delight. Mario Cristobal is a solid recruiter, and you will likely be happy with his efforts on that front.

You will undoubtedly enjoy his fanaticism for the U and for the Miami community. Cristobal would be a fun guy to sit down with over a few Bucanero Fuertes. I'm sure he has many fascinating football tales to tell. 

However, at some point, Cristobal will need to coach an actual Miami game. In fact, he'll need to coach a whole bunch of Miami games, and this is where your disenchantment will begin. The odds are that you won't like watching Miami's offense, you won't like Cristobal's in-game management, you won't like the lack of player development, and you won't like falling far short of a national championship.

However, CaptainCane, all of these don't-likes are in the future. For now, enjoy the good Admiral Cristobal's promises. But do keep an eye on where the lifeboats are located. And don't forget to wear your life vest! There are some turbulent waters ahead. 

Personally I never thought MC was the right guy for Oregon Duck Football. 

The only reason Mullens offered him more $$ and an extension was because we won 10 games and he was a good recruiter, but I could almost promise MC was not playing PK type of football or mine either. Phil Knight is a track guy and he wants speed and explosive up tempo offense. He wants/needs Duck football to be cutting edge thats the NIKE way.

On 12/20/2021 at 10:00 PM, Axel said:

CaptainCane, I respect your passion, and I do appreciate your opinions about Coach Cristobal. I also have great respect and admiration for the Cuban-American community--its history, heritage, and culture. 

Yes, it is true that our AD tried to keep Cristobal, a move that I found both puzzling and infuriating. You see, I've been off the Cristobal fan-bandwagon for a while. And as you can see from this forum, many fellow Duck devotees had lost faith in Cristobal even prior to those two embarrassing mollywhoppings to the Utah Utes. 

Thousands and thousands of Duck fans are delighted that Cristobal jumped ship to go back home. We are confident that within a year or two, you'll understand the reasonings for our delight. Mario Cristobal is a solid recruiter, and you will likely be happy with his efforts on that front.

You will undoubtedly enjoy his fanaticism for the U and for the Miami community. Cristobal would be a fun guy to sit down with over a few Bucanero Fuertes. I'm sure he has many fascinating football tales to tell. 

However, at some point, Cristobal will need to coach an actual Miami game. In fact, he'll need to coach a whole bunch of Miami games, and this is where your disenchantment will begin. The odds are that you won't like watching Miami's offense, you won't like Cristobal's in-game management, you won't like the lack of player development, and you won't like falling far short of a national championship.

However, CaptainCane, all of these don't-likes are in the future. For now, enjoy the good Admiral Cristobal's promises. But do keep an eye on where the lifeboats are located. And don't forget to wear your life vest! There are some turbulent waters ahead. 

Axel, I love your continued nautical references because I’m a life long boater. After the last 4 coaches we’ve had “I already know where the life boats are located and they are well used”. 

You are one of many Duck posters prognosticating failure for MC at Miami - I suspect some even seeking a Little Havana Santeria Priest to ensure Mario’s doom. But if Mario performs as well at UM as he did for the Duck (10 win seasons) …….the Life Boats will stay “high and dry”. Here’s my prediction …y’all may be thinking 10 wins season look pretty good. Cheers!

Guest KingT
On 12/19/2021 at 7:28 PM, Captaincane said:

Everyone loves a “win - win situation “. You guys are happy to be rid of Mario ……………we’re happy to have him!  Sorted! 

Mario's a great guy, great recruiter. He doesn't know talent and can't develop talent. He doesn't know how to run an offense but does know hype. He's gonna bring a lot of flashy recruits, great energy and a very mediocre on field product. I like Mario he just doesn't have a clue how to coach at this level. That's why Saban demoted him. But I'm happy for him and his family and glad he put the team back together after the last pretend Coach came through Eugene.

On 12/20/2021 at 4:58 PM, KingT said:

Mario was demoted by Saban

this is news to me. what’s the story?

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 6:43 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Thibadeaux and him supposedly got into a shouting match at halftime

interesting! any more deets?

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, DR Hilarius said:

interesting! any more deets?

No. It made its rounds on Twitter. Apparently, Thibadeaux called him a fraud and Cristobal told him he was getting beaten by future insurance salesmen.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 6:48 PM, Captaincane said:

“It’s all about the Jimmy’s and Joe’s, not the X’s and O’s” 

There's a big difference between the number 1 recruiting class compared to the number 10 recruiting class. Mario is good at recruiting Saban is Great. 

On 12/19/2021 at 9:40 PM, McDuck said:

As for quarterback he had the 2020 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year who didn't even make first or second team all Pac-12.  Is that a coach who gets the most from his players? 

Yikes, so true. Helfrich hid Mariota's flaws, Cristobal hid Herbert's talent.

• Haha 1