LB48

Another One Gone

He is a great coach and recruiter, and while I understand he wants to get back to the southeast...this one hurts.  Find an upgrade Coach Lanning!

Mr. FishDuck

Agree, he’s one I wish we could’ve held onto. I like the youth movement DL is creating on his staff, but some veteran voices help to balance that lack of experience.

Guest KingT

This is probably why Mcmillan chose Az...oh well, I'm very confident we can upgrade.

Interesting development.  As the twitter picture shows McClendon was listed as a Miami employee last night, and I had posted a link confirming that in another thread.  Now the listing is gone!  Who is playing games?

Now you see it, now you don't.

It's a shame to be losing McClendon, although it was hard to evaluate how good a coach he was given the fact that our wide receivers were so rarely used in Cristobal's offense. We do know that the players love him and many have said that they wished he would have gotten a look see for the head coaching job. We will see if that would have made any sense at all in the upcoming bowl game.

I understand McClendon wanting to get back closer to his home and his roots, but I also find his decision to follow Mario somewhat curious. A lot of what I've been hearing from my friends with behind the scenes knowledge is that Mario was a bit of a bully at times with both staff and players. I'm sure McClendon experienced that as a wide receivers' coach who most directly worked with disgruntled players who were told one thing and handed another. 

If we can assume that Mario is the person and the coach he showed us that he is, I don't see smooth sailing ahead for him at Miami where a hurricane is already brewing behind the scenes. What I do see are a lot of parallels with Mario and the man who brought him to Oregon. I'm interested to see how things work out for McClendon in his future at Miami, and I wish him well.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:07 AM, McDuck said:

Interesting development.  As the twitter picture shows McClendon was listed as a Miami employee last night, and I had posted a link confirming that in another thread.  Now the listing is gone!  Who is playing games?

Now you see it, now you don't.

His twitter account still shows him in Duck colors, if that counts for anything.

I can't blame him for wanting to follow the coach who hired him, and to a place closer to home. 

I have faith Lanning will be landing with both feet firmly on the ground with his staff, McClendon or not.

Grateful and hopeful is my status!

On 12/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, latracey said:

If we can assume that Mario is the person and the coach he showed us that he is, I don't see smooth sailing ahead for him at Miami where a hurricane is already brewing behind the scenes

His move to Miami has been fascinating to watch. The enthusiasm that The U has in Mario coming back and restoring the glory days completely ignores what he has delivered as a coach. Jimmy Johnson, who did coach championships at The U urged the fans to slow down, but I doubt he was heard over the Hurricane wind

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Career wise it probably makes sense. If he follows Mario and Miami improves, other opportunities present themselves more quickly. If they just get into the top 25, the staff will start to get poached. 

If he stays at Oregon and we don’t improve he may be stuck in neutral for awhile career wise. 

McMillan signs with Arizona. Huge loss 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep...already posted below, but do keep posting new articles and news for the community--thanks!

Mr. FishDuck

Too bad Lanning didn’t do more to salvage this class.  Fair observation or not?

On 12/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, geoquack said:

He said he was going to be on the phone with all the verbals, so I assume he tried.

Mr. FishDuck

I just have a hard time understanding why he would want to join the dumpster fire that is Miami.  They are stealing from the faculty to pay for coaching?  Doesn’t sound sustainable to me…

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 11:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

He said he was going to be on the phone with all the verbals, so I assume he tried.

Obviously it wasn’t enough.  Losing a recruit to Arizona is embarrassing

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He is a great coach and recruiter, and while I understand he wants to get back to the southeast...this one hurts.  Find an upgrade Coach Lanning!

He isn't coming anywhere near the Alamo Bowl is he? If so, how out of it can Mullens be?

Not sure how much more he could have done honestly. He was not allowed to contact recruits on behalf of Oregon until last Monday when he was officially hired. 

Lanning also couldn't have been officially hired before Monday because there is an Oregon law for any state job that the job must be posted for a week before hiring can take place... And Monday was exactly a week. 

Then once Lanning was hired the recruiting dead period had already started. A recruiting dead period means no visits onto campus and no in home visits and basically any in-person visits are prohibited. However, phone calls and zoom calls are permitted. 

There has been a lot of fuss made about Lanning not being on campus... But in truth it's irrelevant because he can use a phone to call recruits from anywhere. 

Georgia is going to play in the playoff and that gives Lanning a unique opportunity to get some more playoff experience which is something we as fans WANT our head coach to have. 

I am sure he is spending every non- Georgia waking moment of the day recruiting... Whether that is players or future staff members. 

And even if he was solely in Eugene there is only so much he could have done anyways and for the current recruiting class there really isn't anything more he could have done besides sell something that isn't him or the program he wants and we don't want that from our new HC anyways. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I don’t mind him coaching in the playoffs. He earned the opportunity to get a championship. After all, that’s why the game is played. Oregon will be there when he’s done.

He could only do so much. He’s not from the West Coast and probably didn’t have any prior contact with these kids. It’s impossible  to build a relationship in 3 days. He’s going to have to hit the portal and rebuild this team from scratch.

There are going to be a lot of guys transferring after the bowl game. Likely a couple more WR’s just because BMac is leaving. Dye also sounded like he won’t be back which I’m OK with. This won’t be a popular opinion, but I’m kind of done with Mario’s old backfield. We needs some dudes back there. I hope Benson stays because he and Cardwell could do some damage. 

Losing a few of guys loyal to the old regime is inevitable. The good news is the new coach is the best subplot to the playoffs for the next few weeks. While the new staff starts taking shape expect some great interviews with Lanning being broadcast into every recruit in the country's living room about loyalty to the players and the integrity to finish what you started.

This may be the best recruiting/ portal opportunity the UO has had in ages. Expect Lanning's gravitational pull to be felt in February.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, geoquack said:

Obviously it wasn’t enough.  Losing a recruit to Arizona is embarrassing

Apparently, three of his best friends and high school teammates are playing at Arizona.  Once the coaching staff fell apart, and there were only a couple days left before early signing, as well as a dead period, the move made some sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's still got a pretty thick roster....remember half the class this year were freshmen and another quarter were sophomores, the youngest roster in Power 5 football if I recall correctly.....and coaching changes are almost always going to cost recruits.

And there's always the "portal".....the best thing Lanning can do is put a fast, aggressive up-tempo style of play on the field that not only wins but shows the kids having fun.

If he can do that.....and keep the jersey changes coming - it's an Oregon "thing" - the rest will take care of itself and Oregon will be on the right track.

So who is going to act as head coach at the Alamo Bowl?

Just keep asking yourself which is of more long-term importance:

Having a pile of great recruits of which our coach has not the slightest idea how to develop and use 

OR

having a coach who is a world-beater of a development and game-management coach who team shows up ON FIRE game after game?

I'm goin' with the second option, people.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 7:32 PM, toketeeman said:

Just keep asking yourself which is of more long-term importance:

Having a pile of great recruits of which our coach has not the slightest idea how to develop and use 

OR

having a coach who is a world-beater of a development and game-management coach who team shows up ON FIRE game after game?

I'm goin' with the second option, people.

2nd option for me as well. I found myself over the last 6 weeks saying to myself “I long for the days when we would put up 35 points in the first half and maybe not make the CFP. Then endure the stagnet offense we have had all of this year.”  OVer powering our opponent is boaring and it didn’t work in the end.

Coach Lanning has a plan. There are certain types of players he wants and is willing to wait to get.

I saw a video of a zoom call Coach had with the press. He implied that he kind of slowed everybody down. He assured firm committs and parents that they had plenty of time to decide.  

Slow and steady wins the race..... 

So much may change right after the Alamo Bowl. He doesn't know who's staying and who's going.

Roster needs could change drastically.... Best to know what the exact needs are to finish recruiting and pound the portal.

Coach Lanning's approach is like my wonderful Father's style.  Make the right move, for the right reason at the right time.

That's gonna take some getting used to for many fans. It will be worth it. After all who eats the cake until after it's baked.

• Thumbs Up 2

The thread title is really good song by moe. In any case, none of these defections should be unexpected. Bring on the new coaching staff in full. For better or worse, I would rather roll the dice then watch one more year of MC  Oregon Football. These last few years have been perhaps the most boring Oregon football, I have watched for many, many moons.  Good luck to MC in Miami, but at the same time, I’m happy to see him move on.

Nothing worse, than having a recruit who is not happy with your style, giving grief and cancer in the locker room.  The kids already here, have to wait and decide once coaches and schemes are decided.  As far as losing recruits, they may not fit the new system and getting all the current players on board is more important and less time messing with the dissatisfied ones.  Feels like a cleansing, just not happy with not moving on from AB, who does not help us in the future.  Should be doing what is best for the team, moving forward and see what we do have in our young QB's.