Guest KingT

Does it Make Sense to Play the Bowl Game?

Guest KingT

Starting to wonder with the coaching situation if it even make sense. The Coach running things is probably spending 80% of his time recruiting for another team against you. Mario via Mcclendon probably grooming some kids to leave. You have a substantially depleted roster at this point. At a minimum it feels like Rob made a mistake with McClendon Coaching at the same time he's recruiting against you. Also a bit worried about kids getting hurt at this point to be honest. This operation looks like it's in serious trouble. Convince me I'm wrong please.

Edited by KingT

$8,252,740 payout=they'll be playing nonetheless. 🤑🤑🤑

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 1:38 PM, KingT said:

Starting to wonder with the coaching situation if it even make sense. The Coach running things is probably spending 80% of his time recruiting for another team against you. Mario via Mcclendon probably grooming some kids to leave. You have a substantially depleted roster at this point. At a minimum it feels like Rob made a mistake with McClendon Coaching at the same time he's recruiting against you. Also a bit worried about kids getting hurt at this point to be honest. This operation looks like it's in serious trouble. Convince me I'm wrong please.

Doesn't matter. Still a ton of talent on this team. It ain't over,  Feb is a long way out. Lanning hits the trail on Jan 12 hopefully boasting national champ. His defense.  Ducks will be fine. 

If McClendon is in fact going to the U, he should leave now. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Make this bowl a glorified spring training game.  Start getting ready for next year. 

It's more about the players than the fans IMO. This is their reward or end result of their hard earned efforts this season. I don't think I could tell all those players still on the team that it won't be worth playing one more game this season because your HC left and some of your teammates left as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 2:14 PM, Log Haulin said:

Doesn't matter. Still a ton of talent on this team. It ain't over,  Feb is a long way out. Lanning hits the trail on Jan 12 hopefully boasting national champ. His defense.  Ducks will be fine. 

If McClendon is in fact going to the U, he should leave now. 

Log Haulin

He should leave now. 

Anybody, even an old Greybeard, can call the plays that this O ran in most games.......

Dye run up middle = 6 yards

AB run up middle = 2 yards

Option A  AB misses the outside pitch to Dye = no gain 

Or

Option B AB misses wide open receiver = no gain

Either way 4th down

Punt team in

Not dissing AB and I know this is an exaggeration but it sure felt this way.

I agree if he plans to coach and then take players to the U, then go.sqq a

McClendon, the red eye to the east coast leaves at midnight from PDX.

Still time to catch it. It will be a light bag pack. Because your integrity won't be making the flight......

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sold on McClendon, going to Miami, He is a Receivers Coach.  They did a lot of blocking, while you have to bet that Receivers were not happy but much of the youth kept quiet.  Mycah, D Williams, not so much.  Loyalty in the WR corner that did not bolt.  While, the recruits bailed, they saw what happened, some maybe waiting to see hires, and coaches retained.  We shall see, as this young coach, is making a splash with young talent, so far and no veteran coaches as of yet.  Seriously believe that some Veteran coaches needed, for coaching and recruiting but the youth movement, for getting their teeth cut, interesting to say the least.  Three years average on experimenting before fans, get antsy though.

Oregon, currently has the luxury of having a young roster with the help of the Covid year but some recruits electing to forgo that year to try the pros.  I really do not see winning this bowl as a recruiting elevator for recruits, win or lose.  It will all be on those coaches hired, their ability to sell the team, scheme and development of talent moving forward.  Have to put up or shut up.  My Christmas gift this year, be better than Cristobal in 2022 and Oregon Wins, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2021 at 3:50 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Not sold on McClendon, going to Miami, He is a Receivers Coach.  They did a lot of blocking, while you have to bet that Receivers were not happy but much of the youth kept quiet.  Mycah, D Williams, not so much.  Loyalty in the WR corner that did not bolt.  While, the recruits bailed, they saw what happened, some maybe waiting to see hires, and coaches retained.  We shall see, as this young coach, is making a splash with young talent, so far and no veteran coaches as of yet.  Seriously believe that some Veteran coaches needed, for coaching and recruiting but the youth movement, for getting their teeth cut, interesting to say the least.  Three years average on experimenting before fans, get antsy though.

Oregon, currently has the luxury of having a young roster with the help of the Covid year but some recruits electing to forgo that year to try the pros.  I really do not see winning this bowl as a recruiting elevator for recruits, win or lose.  It will all be on those coaches hired, their ability to sell the team, scheme and development of talent moving forward.  Have to put up or shut up.  My Christmas gift this year, be better than Cristobal in 2022 and Oregon Wins, in my opinion.

Losing this bowl won't affect recruiting any more than winning it will help. It's going to come down to Lanning and his staff. Other than the CFP the rest of the bowls don't matter in recruiting with all the no shows these days. DL on the trail with a title belt will have more credibility than an Alamo win.

• Thumbs Up 2

Especially, if they hold their opponents scoring.  Just surprised that so many, lost on recruiting, jumping on the Early Signing Period rather than waiting till after.  Quality recruits, should never worry about a top program, not having space for them.  Maybe if you are a low three star or mid four star maybe.  But with the coaches hired so far, I have a feeling we may be looking at coaches that can develop talent, rather than having the talent be such a high target as was with Cristobal.  I believe that Coaching mirrors the type of athletes chosen as in blue collar.  I may be wrong, my wife says quite frequently in her view, I am.  But she is a Beaver, at heart.  I love her still, though.

• Haha 1

People think it’s a money game, but bowl games always put programs in the red. It’s more of a reward for the players. They get to hang out on the River Walk, get some swag and play football. It doesn’t do anything for the future as they will be practicing a system that is no longer used. 

On 12/18/2021 at 4:41 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

$8,252,740 payout=they'll be playing nonetheless. 🤑🤑🤑

? Final 4 teams get $6M. Where does this number come from? Maybe the game drops this amount on San Antonio but on Oregon?

That $8.2 million is the total payout from 2019, in 2020 it was $9 million, not sure what it is this year, this is split between the teams though.  Financial impact to San Antonio is way more, over $30 million

Guest KingT
On 12/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, EzDucksIt said:

He's accepted a position at Miami.

Well, Pittman said it was B Mac and Cristobal who talked to him.  But can not believe, Mullens made him interim coach, makes no sense, I do not care about his experience.  Let him hang his hat elsewhere.  We need pro Oregon coaches to lead our young men from the time CM quit on us.  Not good on Mullens in my opinion.  Thanks for the heads up, call me disappointed than.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:13 PM, deschutesduck said:

That $8.2 million is the total payout from 2019, in 2020 it was $9 million, not sure what it is this year, this is split between the teams though.  Financial impact to San Antonio is way more, over $30 million

I imagine the amount of benefit to the local economy depends largely on fan turnout.  I'm guessing that's going to be dismal this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

The bowl product is turning into garbage. I can remember when these games were the most important games of the year.

Great points about Mullens, not a fan of, by the way, should have qualified who was going to Miami with Mario. Mario is an elite recruiter, and relationship guy. Those relationship needed to be cut off asap. It is like a cancer in the program

There were two assistant head coaches on the team and one of them is all Oregon. Reward Big Joe with the title, and let the other assistant head coach and the other Mario followers go. 'Give me your keys and leave now.'

Moorhead left and was willing to come back, let him run the offense. 

Agree with others, the team gratefully doesn't have it's head coach. We should be able to do just fine without Mario and Feld running up and down the sideline. Feld is another guy I don't want to see on the sideline, what is he going to do, help with game clock management? We have 4 assistant strength coaches they can take care of the players. 

Basically I think Mullens is playing the nice guy while being played. He is a great accountant, not a manager of people. A program has a new head coach, let the relationships build with Lanning, and cut off any relationship connection they have with Cristobal, via Oregon. Mario isn't Oregon anymore!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mario stopped being a Duck a few weeks before the first Utah embarrassment. 

At some point this year, Mario's former Hurricane team mates went from

Mario, you should come home and coach someday...

To.........

Mario, it's all set for you to come now.

That's when MC stopped being a Duck.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2021 at 9:56 AM, Haywarduck said:

Great points about Mullens, not a fan of, by the way, should have qualified who was going to Miami with Mario. Mario is an elite recruiter, and relationship guy. Those relationship needed to be cut off asap. It is like a cancer in the program

There were two assistant head coaches on the team and one of them is all Oregon. Reward Big Joe with the title, and let the other assistant head coach and the other Mario followers go. 'Give me your keys and leave now.'

Moorhead left and was willing to come back, let him run the offense. 

Agree with others, the team gratefully doesn't have it's head coach. We should be able to do just fine without Mario and Feld running up and down the sideline. Feld is another guy I don't want to see on the sideline, what is he going to do, help with game clock management? We have 4 assistant strength coaches they can take care of the players. 

Basically I think Mullens is playing the nice guy while being played. He is a great accountant, not a manager of people. A program has a new head coach, let the relationships build with Lanning, and cut off any relationship connection they have with Cristobal, via Oregon. Mario isn't Oregon anymore!

SPOT ON! Is Mullens really THIS clueless? Does either team want to play this game? The Playoff has created a system where 3 postseason games matter. 

BTW, Burmeister is in the portal. He wanted to play in the bowl game and Va Tech said: 'NO!'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, deschutesduck said:

That's gross dollars correct? Not what Oregon after expenses will net, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2021 at 1:00 AM, geoquack said:

I imagine the amount of benefit to the local economy depends largely on fan turnout.  I'm guessing that's going to be dismal this year.

With the way Omicron is spreading one wonders if bowls will be canceled or played with no fans in the stands? 

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 7:12 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Mario, you should come home and coach someday...

Anyone else getting just a wee bit tired of this Dixieland carousel ride circulating promising coaches through their triple a farm club in the northwest and then back home again?

On 12/19/2021 at 8:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

That's gross dollars correct? Not what Oregon after expenses will net, right?

I'm not entirely sure, i've heard a travel budget is also included in addition to that but can't remember where I saw that

On 12/18/2021 at 10:00 PM, geoquack said:

good point, especially since that number was from 2019 in the before times

This bowl game will tell Dan allot about what he has left in the Barn. The kids that are real football players will be out there playing their ass off to show the new staff what they can do. These will be the players that will make the Ducks a team of the future. The quitters, wether it be coaches or players, are being exposed by turmoil created by MC. We don’t want those kinds of people in the organization because they seem to rub off on the quality guys that you still have. 

Good riddance to the lot of you I wish you good luck. NOT.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thanks 1