Darren Perkins

Time to Ditch the Ugly Basketball Court

Belly Acher Alert!!! 😃

I know Oregon takes pride in being unique, innovative, and different.... but the basketball floor just screams of "trying too hard."

And the color scheme is more Sun Devils than Ducks. Just set the trees on fire and add flames! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Eyes of beholder lol..    I love the court!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd probably be ok with it if the color was an Oregon color. (wasn't that how it was before?) But now it is this brownish-red/burgundy,/Arizona State-ish color. 

And the yellow is more of an ASU yellow than Oregon yellow. 

Edited by Darren Perkins

Wait, is this gone? 

EhktQ3jU4AAhAxx.jpeg

On 12/18/2021 at 7:42 PM, Darren Perkins said:

But now it is this brownish-red/burgundy,/Arizona State-ish color. 

I'm glad you brought that up.  It was green before!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, Krsmqn said:

Wait, is this gone? 

EhktQ3jU4AAhAxx.jpeg

No it's there. I just finally got around to complaining 😀

• Haha 1

Eyes of beholder lol..    I love the court!

On 12/18/2021 at 7:55 PM, 30Duck said:

I'm glad you brought that up.  It was green before!

Yeah, I was ok with it before, it was green. 

Better talk to Phil Knight, Tinker Hatfield, and Pat Kilkenny. 

University of Oregon Athletics Department unveiled another key element for Matthew Knight Arena designed to set the facility apart from any other arena in the country. Installation of a unique arena floor is currently underway and features symbolic references to the Pacific Northwest, as well as the two individuals most responsible for the arena becoming a reality, Phil Knight and Pat Kilkenny. 

“We wanted to design the most iconic television presence possible for the University of Oregon by conjuring up a highly unique and visible basketball floor design,” according to Tinker Hatfield, vice president for design and special projects for Nike. “Its inspired by our beautiful tree-covered region and the UO 1939 NCAA Championship basketball team nicknamed the 'Tall Firs.'” 

The court is framed by a representation of a view from beneath a forest of fir trees. Also present on the floor is the new arena logo, designed for the namesake of the building, Matthew Knight. 

The floor has been named for Kilkenny, a long-time supporter of the University of Oregon who recently served as the school's director of athletics (2007-09), and whose contributions were paramount in the arena's construction. The “Kilkenny Floor” text listed above the Matt Arena logo, is accompanied by three additional graphics. 

“We wanted to pay respect to Pat Kilkenny, and the Kilkenny family, by telling their story in a classy and subdued series of three symbolic graphics,” Hatfield said. 

Graphic 1 (left side) depicts Morrow County and Heppner, Ore., where Pat Kilkenny grew up. Graphic 2, which symbolizes his education at UO, is the 1970's interlocking UO logo adorned with three shamrocks representative of his very green and very Irish heritage. Graphic 3 symbolizes the beach and sunset of San Diego, where he became a highly successful entrepreneur and still resides today. 

As a finishing touch, the phrase “Deep in the Woods” is located below the Matt Arena logo. These words embody the intimidation the venue will pose for visiting teams, and add soul of the building.

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, Drake said:

University of Oregon Athletics Department unveiled another key element for Matthew Knight Arena designed to set the facility apart from any other arena in the country. Installation of a unique arena floor is currently underway and features symbolic references to the Pacific Northwest, as well as the two individuals most responsible for the arena becoming a reality, Phil Knight and Pat Kilkenny. 

“We wanted to design the most iconic television presence possible for the University of Oregon by conjuring up a highly unique and visible basketball floor design,” according to Tinker Hatfield, vice president for design and special projects for Nike. “Its inspired by our beautiful tree-covered region and the UO 1939 NCAA Championship basketball team nicknamed the 'Tall Firs.'” 

The court is framed by a representation of a view from beneath a forest of fir trees. Also present on the floor is the new arena logo, designed for the namesake of the building, Matthew Knight. 

The floor has been named for Kilkenny, a long-time supporter of the University of Oregon who recently served as the school's director of athletics (2007-09), and whose contributions were paramount in the arena's construction. The “Kilkenny Floor” text listed above the Matt Arena logo, is accompanied by three additional graphics. 

“We wanted to pay respect to Pat Kilkenny, and the Kilkenny family, by telling their story in a classy and subdued series of three symbolic graphics,” Hatfield said. 

Graphic 1 (left side) depicts Morrow County and Heppner, Ore., where Pat Kilkenny grew up. Graphic 2, which symbolizes his education at UO, is the 1970's interlocking UO logo adorned with three shamrocks representative of his very green and very Irish heritage. Graphic 3 symbolizes the beach and sunset of San Diego, where he became a highly successful entrepreneur and still resides today. 

As a finishing touch, the phrase “Deep in the Woods” is located below the Matt Arena logo. These words embody the intimidation the venue will pose for visiting teams, and add soul of the building.

image.jpeg

All well and good, but it’s super distracting on television……not nearly as bad in person.

• Thumbs Up 2

A fir tree is a beautiful green color. The Tamarack tree, is beautiful too, in the fall, and this is what some of the trees look like. 

The other brown trees just need some smoke coming off them, along with some flames and they would pay tribute to the forrest fire problem we have in the region. 

I love the idea and tribute to a great team, but the execution of that idea is terrible. Time to bring the trees back to life.

Maybe a bring the trees back to life campaign can begin? The idea and tribute are wonderful, but leave fans wondering where's the fir? Get the colors right, now!

5yg519.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always thought the new court was too busy with all those trees, and I don't like the color either. Hardwood can be so beautiful--just keep the paint to a minimum and let it shine.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, Drake said:

image.jpeg

Yeah, I know it was created as a tribute. It does seem to "mellowed" in person as this picture shows. But, on tv it seems busy, I just can't get ASU out of my head. 😀

On 12/18/2021 at 8:20 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Belly Acher Alert!!! 😃

I know Oregon takes pride in being unique, innovative, and different.... but the basketball floor just screams of "trying too hard."

And the color scheme is more Sun Devils than Ducks. Just set the trees on fire and add flames! 

"I'm glad you brought that up.  It was green before!"

The brown trees reminded me of the tree on the primary Oregon license plate when the state first came out with that plate design... that tree was also brown. The public rightfully objected and they changed it. No idea why anyone would have thought that representing Oregon with a burned out looking tree on our primary license plate could have ever seemed like a good idea. At the time, I thought that maybe next license plate option they might come out with would be the "Stump Plate" -- jk 😉.

Anyway, the first time I saw the floor was on TV, and I couldn't stand it. Then, after seeing it in person, I liked it -- a lot. Unfortunately, about 98% of people who have watched Duck basketball, only see it on TV. And I don't think a design should have to "grow" on people. And, IMHO, at a minimum, the brown burned out looking trees have got to go.

With all of this being said, I 100% love, appreciate, and respect the history and creative tribute behind the concept. Frankly, I think there's some impressive creative genius at work in there. 

Edited by Desert Duck

I dont like the color of the "opening" 

I’ve never liked the brown trees, it looks like a scene from a forest fire! Drake, when do you think the new design will come to fruition? Tomorrow is not soon enough! GoDucks!

Edited by Dukduponquak

Looking out my upstairs window, as I gaze east at the foothills of the Cascades, thru the rain, all I see is green.

As the wife and I drove from Sweet Home to Albany and back, well everything that wasn't flooding was green.

That floor makes me uncomfortable watching a game. Some fans love it. That's okay..

Other than the MC offense it ranks 2nd on Duck things I don't like.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like it either. As far as the tribute to the Kilkenny's; it reminds me of a scene in Brian's Song when Brian Picolo says to Gale Sayers, "You dedicated the game to you me. Would have been nice if you'd have won."

Oregon should go green, recycle the trees and come up with a new design. Maybe with green and yellow?

On 12/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Other than the MC offense it ranks 2nd on Duck things I don't like.

At the end of the day, for me the important question is, "Do the kids & recruits like it?"

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 1:59 PM, Desert Duck said:

At the end of the day, for me the important question is, "Do the kids & recruits like it?"

Desert Duck

Great question...... Never thought about it from their perspective.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:49 AM, Desert Duck said:

"I'm glad you brought that up.  It was green before!"

The brown trees reminded me of the tree on the primary Oregon license plate when the state first came out with that plate design... that tree was also brown. The public rightfully objected and they changed it. No idea why anyone would have thought that representing Oregon with a burned out looking tree on our primary license plate could have ever seemed like a good idea. At the time, I thought that maybe next license plate option they might come out with would be the "Stump Plate" -- jk 😉.

Anyway, the first time I saw the floor was on TV, and I couldn't stand it. Then, after seeing it in person, I liked it -- a lot. Unfortunately, about 98% of people who have watched Duck basketball, only see it on TV. And I don't think a design should have to "grow" on people. And, IMHO, at a minimum, the brown burned out looking trees have got to go.

With all of this being said, I 100% love, appreciate, and respect the history and creative tribute behind the concept. Frankly, I think there's some impressive creative genius at work in there. 

Tinker Hatfield and Phil Knight were a great team. Nike became the largest shoe company in the world and Oregon has reaped the rewards.  Nice tribute to a son that passed away in a tragic accident, and to a key individual that helped build the place. 

I have always thought it looks like someone threw up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just like the FB uniform we wore in our last blowout loss and against UCLA.  I personally hate it coz it looks dirty from the get-go.  Same with this ugly floor.  But am not surprised some people like it, especially Nike...

It looks great in person, and bad on television. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think less trees would be better.  It is so packed, most of it doesn't look like trees.

Oregon is more than a forest. On TV it obstructs the game in the paint.

How many Mallard Ducks do you see in a forest?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, TexasDuck said:

It looks great in person, and bad on television. 

I've seen it in person and am still not a fan. We all have different tastes, I guess. 🙂

I like it because it is unique... though it did take me a little while to realize it was trees.

Quite frankly, I don't think that we should be talking about any dissatisfaction with it as long as the guy who paid for it is still alive and wants to keep donating. If Phil likes it, I like it.

Another consideration: our athletes play on it all the time get used to it. The end line and the side lines are sometimes hard to see, which gives us an advantaged over visiting teams. The refs don't seem to have a problem knowing where the line is.

Final consideration is... what do the students think of it? We have had this same conversation about various uniform combinations, and to me, the bottom line is what do the athletes who play in them think??? If they start complaining, things will change.