deschutesduck

Yep, Our QB Room is Questionable... Bo Nix has Committed to Oregon

Edited by deschutesduck
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Our new coach is really getting with it.  Don't know what will happen with the three we have, but I trust our new coach is doing everything he can to make a winning program.  This is obviously a quarterback he knows well.

I get that new coaches want to bring in players they know.  

Will the three QBs on the roster see this as a sign to join the portal?

• Thanks 1

I was worried about this happening. I guess it's all part of being a player on the cusp. You wait for you chance than it's snatched away by an

incoming transfer. I would bet Dilly dilly will start Nix over TT or Butterfield. Who transfers? Then what happens in 2023? Maybe I'm over

thinking it. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Thumbs Up 1

That is no way to start. Bring in a guy that will be perceived as favored. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What choice does a new coach have when he has almost zero tape on three highly rated but unproven QBs. Hope they stay but couldn't blame them if they leave. At least we'll have a QB that's familiar with the offense with game experience.

Saw this coming already. If MC and his coaching staff can't coach up players it is just another reason to thank the U. Gotta trust the new staff. Bo Nix can play and has played his best football under Dillingham.  Nix also knows the system.  Hopefully the younger guys will be developed starting Jan 12.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not overly surprising since Dillingham was his OC at Auburn in 2019.  I just hope the other QB's on the roster wait till spring practice is over before making any transfer decisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with everyone here about the concern for the 3 youngsters we already have, specially Butterfield and Ashford.  Well, at least Nix seems to be more capable than AB...

• Like 1

On the plus side we won't be staring an unproven QB in next years opener. Assuming Nix is the starter.

• Thumbs Up 1

He’s the college version of Dak Prescott. Some days he can’t miss. Other days it seems his only purpose in life is to give the ball to the other team.

Guest KingT

This tells us all we need to know about the development of Ty and Butters. End of story.

I wonder what type of conversations happen between Coach and existing players on the team when a player is picked up from the portal. Nobody should just inherit a starting position as important as QB by default, but communication with existing players seems required. 

Not a fan of this. I have no interest in seeing this guy in a Ducks uniform

If this causes a chain reaction of QB transfer(s) it’s a bad transaction for the Ducks.   

Every one of our young QB have 4 years of eligibility? If so, at least one will transfer.  The other two will finally get coached up. Bo has seen a lot of football and he is better than AB. This is going to be an old QB room. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. I hope TT sticks around but if not, Nix gives a young incoming coaching staff time to assess the QB situation. They are all familiar with BN and worst case they recruit and develop. Something the last coach apparently failed to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Very similar career stats to Anthony Brown. Can't hurt to have additional competition and maybe Nix will find easier pickings in the PAC 12. I guess it does send a positive message that he wants to reconnect with Dillingham. 

Nothing will be given to BN. Any coach worth a grain of salt will expect him to earn it. What ever the outcome it helps us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Title should have read:

Yep, Our QB Room is Questioning... Bo Nix has Committed to Oregon

If I was in our qb room I would be questioning this decision. They watched one qb get yanked, for the head coaches qb, and now we have Bo Nix? I imagine the guys who are going to stay are saying game on, but they have to be looking like this now.

5yhi0n.jpg

Just heard it on the radio wow -The other guys are not happy

Not so sure my friend. The other QBs know FB. If they are better they will play. Competition is what you want. It makes u better.

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, deschutesduck said:

It's not overly surprising since Dillingham was his OC at Auburn in 2019.  I just hope the other QB's on the roster wait till spring practice is over before making any transfer decisions.

Any QB who transfers because they want to avoid a competition or because they believe they’re the rightful heir to the position doesn’t belong on this team. I’m not excited about Nix, but I want a guy who embraces the competition.

• Thumbs Up 7

We know one thing --he can beat our defense

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It mystifies me that people think he has valid views on our QBs not having worked with them at all. 

The thing about going to the portal for QB's is that it tells recruits that they could sit for two years before they get their shot....pretty sure five star and most four stars want to think they're in the mix early on....this says other wise....like I said before, never go to the portal for a QB not named Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow or Justin Fields.

Look for all three young QB's to transfer and if Nix is perceived as a run first mediocre thrower don't be surprised to see the young high end receivers follow. This is the type of thing that shows zero confidence in the young guys....gut reaction: I hate it.....and maybe I'll be wrong.

Would love to see one of our current QBs win the job 

The GLOVES are OFF!  The Challenge has been made!  Do we have a leader in the three young QB's that can step up?  Just because you elected to come to Oregon does not make you a leader of the Offense.  You got to EARN that spot.  Keep that spot.  Show you can make the decisions to be the Leader day in and day out.  Nothing in life is ever given to you.  Leaders earn it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nix was having a very good season at Auburn under Harsin before he was hurt. He was having his best season and his completion numbers were way up.

He has played big time ball against the best schools in the SEC. UGA is on Auburn's schedule every season. 

He is far more athletic than Brown. I'm happy to see this. Not one of the younger QBs could beat out journeyman Brown.

Dillingham knows him. Dillingham Has watched film, I'm certain, of the 3 young QBs in the room. If nothing else, if a youngster steps up this is great insurance and having used the one free transfer Nix will not be moving on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bo knows something.  

He is coming off season ending ankle surgery, and may not have seen a better chance to play on a top team.  Was he told that Oregon QBs are the least game seasoned among top 15 programs?  

Or maybe the UO football program is where scratched and dented players go for rehab?

Edited by Duck1984

It's on like donkey Kong........

Get ready. This may be the beginning of some high profile talent transferring to Oregon.

We don't know Coach Lannings plan in any way shape or form. But he has told us all that Oregon is a top coaching job and a top destination stop.

Very confident that he wants talent that feels the same, too. He will make the best effort to bring the best players to the Duck program. Don't discount that this sends a message to other potential transfer. Now Oregon is in the news for the right reason........

3 thoughts.......

That is exciting to think about. We'll done Coach and staff.

If Cyrus Moss can't get excited about playing in Coach Lannings system, we'll he hasn't watched Georgia's defense play the last few seasons.

Bo Nix will have to earn it. During that process our 3 young QB's will only get better.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:34 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

I was worried about this happening. I guess it's all part of being a player on the cusp. You wait for you chance than it's snatched away by an

incoming transfer. I would bet Dilly dilly will start Nix over TT or Butterfield. Who transfers? Then what happens in 2023? Maybe I'm over

thinking it. 

Nix has 2 years of eligibility left. He could start in 2022 and 2023. Recall the 2020 season did not count against any player's eligibility. In 2020 Nix started 10 games, all against SEC competition. At that time he was playing for Gus Malzahn. Nix held onto the job in 2021 competing against a highly ranked frosh QB. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 12/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, TheRunningDuck said:

It mystifies me that people think he has valid views on our QBs not having worked with them at all. 

I would say that is his back up plan, if it is true, that the three back ups are not making efforts to push for the position.  How many are just comfortable putting in face time to get an education.  Some not comfortable putting themselves in harms way.  Not every player, has the goal of taking it any further.  If they leave, I would say that there was reason to have AB as the QB for this season.  Let the CREAM rise to the TOP! 

I will also say this needs to be managed by the coaches on staff now. The qb's and receivers should be in the know, first hand, not reading headlines.   Whether it was just a talk about how each of them will be on the same footing as any recruits or transfer, or a call before it happened.

These are still kids and we saw how Aaron Rogers reacted to the Jordon Love draft pick. Things need to be managed in a proactive way to keep all parties involved content. 

Respect is earned and these guys on our bench deserve some respect from the new coaches. Let them know they will have a fair shot, and the receivers have a renewed chance to get to 1,000 yds receiving. It will be interesting to see how the roster reacts. I view this as the first big move by the new staff. What is going to happen with how they did it?

All season guys complained about us not having a QB with experience against UGA because we weren't playing our backups.

Now it seems we're complaining about having such a QB on our team.

I

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To me it seems as we are loading up to actually have a chance against Ga.

Dillingham obviously has no problem playing freshmen as Nix was a freshman when he played for Dillingham.....this tells me Dillingham/Lanning have decided that a five star in his second year and a four star in his third year won't be good enough.....so they've watched extensive tape?....I've watched tape and I'm pretty sure Ty and JB are every bit the throwers Nix is.....so we're back to the QB has to run offense?.....wonder what the receivers think?......am I the only one who thinks this could explode?....all for Nix?

On 12/19/2021 at 4:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Nix has 2 years of eligibility left. He could start in 2022 and 2023. Recall the 2020 season did not count against any player's eligibility. In 2020 Nix started 10 games, all against SEC competition. At that time he was playing for Gus Malzahn. Nix held onto the job in 2021 competing against a highly ranked frosh QB. 

Oh okay yeah I didn't check his eligibility length. Hmmm I guess it's good for the team but maybe tough for some young QB's.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:43 PM, Haywarduck said:

I will also say this needs to be managed by the coaches on staff now. The qb's and receivers should be in the know, first hand, not reading headlines.   Whether it was just a talk about how each of them will be on the same footing as any recruits or transfer, or a call before it happened.

These are still kids and we saw how Aaron Rogers reacted to the Jordon Love draft pick. Things need to be managed in a proactive way to keep all parties involved content. 

Respect is earned and these guys on our bench deserve some respect from the new coaches. Let them know they will have a fair shot, and the receivers have a renewed chance to get to 1,000 yds receiving. It will be interesting to see how the roster reacts. I view this as the first big move by the new staff. What is going to happen with how they did it?

Hayward,

I might be wrong, it could be that Lanning is sending a message right now.  Effort, work and commitment is being questioned of our QB room.  Two seasons ago, a veteran needed to be brought in due to the youth on the roster.  Shough, the incumbent, needed to adjust to the new scheme, yet transferred out prior to the start of the 2021 season.  It left two players entering their 2nd season with the Ducks, Ty Thompson the true freshman and AB a fifth year senior as the emergency veteran leader.  QB's waiting in the wings, Effort?

The issue seems to be that the three freshman, made no notable efforts to distinguish themselves above the talents of an average 5th year senior.  That does not look at all good.  So why would a new coach bet his reputation on that, he would opt for some experience.  In Bo Nix, Lanning has a QB with starting experience, mentoring qualities and should the Three Qb's not elevate their skills or get injured, a journeyman to step in.  That is taking care of business by the Head Coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

I may be way off, but I feel like Robbie Ashford would be the biggest loss if he transferred. Not TT or JB. He’s the best runner, he’s big at 6’4” 225 and he has the best arm. He arguably had the best Spring out of all the other guys earlier this year if you read the reports. Nix may never see the field if Ashford has another good Spring.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I wonder how much MC's stubbornness played a role in Ty not playing? Even if the effort was there it could've been passed over so MC could take the safe route. No one seems to know why Ty didn't start. Bases covered with Nix.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Only because the Cristobal offense loves to give the ball over to the other team at the end of the game and put it on the defense to win it with a final stop.

To me Ty Thompson doesnt look like he has a lot of upper body strength.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:03 PM, David Marsh said:

Only because the Cristobal offense loves to give the ball over to the other team at the end of the game and put it on the defense to win it with a final stop.

WE can blame a bunch on MC thats for sure but Ive seen major failures from the players as well.--This seems to be rampant in the PAC

• Thumbs Up 1

It feels like we got the Auburn version of Tyler Shough?

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

As I see it, Lanning and Dillingham had two options, Stick with the QB's who haven't had any meaningful playing time and go with that. Or, bring in an experienced QB. If Nix beats out the 3 QB's already here, good. If one of the 3 emerge and shows he's ready to start, good again. If any of the QB's transfer, they'll end up in a situation like they just left. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2021 at 5:05 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

WE can blame a bunch on MC thats for sure but Ive seen major failures from the players as well.--This seems to be rampant in the PAC

Oh yeah, absolutely agree as well.

This last season we had way too many games that ended with the defense needing to hold off one final drive to win the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2021 at 4:22 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

For I qtr.