On 12/19/2021 at 5:08 PM, Just Ducky said:

For I qtr.

he was also a rookie if you remember

On 12/19/2021 at 5:09 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I do.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:09 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Won SEC freshman of the year and was a 5* recruit. 3 years removed so it doesn't mean much at this point. AU only won 3 conference games

On 12/19/2021 at 5:12 PM, Log Haulin said:

Won SEC freshman of the year and was a 5* recruit. 3 years removed so it doesn't mean much at this point. AU only won 3 conference games

Nothing means much at this point. Its what happens on the field next year that means something.

• Thumbs Up 3

The more I think about it the more I like it and i'm not a fan of Bo Nix or bringing in transfer QB's normally... i do tend to feel a bit of loyalty to the guys putting in their time... that said...

It adds competition to the QB room, his stats might not be much better than AB but he was playing in a tougher conference.  His first 2 years he was playing for Malzahn who is as much of a QB whisper as Mario is.

It shows DL and Dilly have been doing a bit of research and aren't sitting on their laurels.  If the 3 guys we have now weren't better than AB last year why should we assume they'll be better than him next year?  Let's get some insurance we have a tough schedule next year.

The QB might be the most unfair position in football because backups rarely get a chance to shine outside of an injury to the starter.  

Another thing about Nix is that Dillingham coached him in 2019 so he is probably going to be familiar with the offense that Dillingham will want to run. Nix can hit the ground running.

Kenny Dillingham has been in Eugene since Thursday.  He had the opportunity to watch any practices and workouts in preparation for the Alamo Bowl, so he has seen the QB's in practice.  I believe they tape practice so he has hours upon hours of film to evaluate performance.  Finally I'm certain he consulted with Joe Moorhead and no reason to believe JM wasn't honest and open with him regarding the abilities and progress of all the QB's.  It is also reasonable to believe he has met with the QB room.

With that he decided to opt for a transfer, a know quantity.  This doesn't mean the QB room is empty, the reality is you need at least two, preferably three, players at the position.  Injuries happen, positive covid tests happen, girlfriend problems happen.  Just last night Utah State went to the third string QB in their bowl game.  All this says is we probably don't have three solid quarterbacks going into 2022.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2021 at 5:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It feels like we got the Auburn version of Tyler Shough?

Shough didn't defeat both Oregon and Alabama his freshman season as did Bo Nix. As a true frosh Nix went 9-4 in the SEC. Nix has 3 games under his belt vs Georgia. Lanning has plenty of familiarity with Nix and apparently likes what he has seen. We'll see how it works out but Nix has 2 seasons of eligibility left.

Fentress comparing Nix to Brown? Nix faced far better competition in the SEC than Brown did in the ACC and unlike Brown, he has started and won more than 1 game vs a top 25 ranked opponent.

Do not sell this guy and his big game experience short. Nothing he will see on the field in the Pac-12 will come close to the athletes he has played against for 3 seasons in the SEC. Nothing he will hear from the fans at conference away games will come close to the stadiums where he has played in the SEC

He's the only guy on the roster who has played Georgia. Not once but thrice.  IMO, he is a better pick up than Gabriel at UCLA and Penix at UW. 

• Thumbs Up 6

On 12/19/2021 at 8:09 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

A rookie who besides beating Oregon beat Bama in the Iron Bowl and was the SEC rookie of the year.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/19/2021 at 5:00 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I may be way off, but I feel like Robbie Ashford would be the biggest loss if he transferred. Not TT or JB. He’s the best runner, he’s big at 6’4” 225 and he has the best arm. He arguably had the best Spring out of all the other guys earlier this year if you read the reports. Nix may never see the field if Ashford has another good Spring.

I actually agree with that assessment.  TT has the most upside, but he didn't take charge.  All three seemed to have issues sustaining drives- hence Brown won out.

Potential will get you fired.  Read an article about Ole Miss going after Nix.  He's defeated Kiffin twice.  And he did give Bama headaches.  

That said, he's to inconsistent.  I don't want another AB situation ( Nix also has accuracy issues in my opinion).  Thus the freshmen better step their game up if they want to play.

NIL and the transfer portal. Welcome to the taste of the NFL college players.  Your star rating is just a draft pick opinion until you prove yourselves.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Most coaches not named Mario will play a backup QB when the starter is struggling.  Case in point OU (Coach Riley) benched preseason Heisman candidate Rattler.  Coach Harbaugh Michigan #2 CFP uses 2 QB's.

In addition to game experience against top SEC defenses, Bo Nix adds insurance in case of injury if TT, JB, or RA wins the job.

Competition is good!  

We wouldn't have been in this predicament if Mario had played our backup QB's.  Oh I forgot, most of our games against lesser opponents were hardly ever over until the final whistle!

I'm sure happy our Duck football program is getting Coach Upgrades!

I dunno, I think I would rather have an experienced corner or two if we're going the free agent route.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well here we go. 

Three years at Auburn tells us one thing. Bo was a pretty good quarterback on a team that was very average.

He only lost 2 games to unranked teams.

Georgia beat him 3 times, Alabama once, A@m, twice and those teams all have great defenses.

Auburn had very few games that they ran the ball well so I’m sure he was under stress allot and he actually led the team in rushing on a few occasions probably running for his life because of the below average offensive line.

If he does end up the starter next season he won’t be seeing anything as good compared to what he’s seen in the past 3 years.

if the Ducks have a QB that can beat him out for the starting job I would be surprised. Hopefully we do.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

I would guess that Lanning has talked with Moorhead and the result of that talk was to bring in someone game ready. Why he felt it was needed, I do not know, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy to strut into a room and throw down a challenge to the people already there.

Edited by Buzby
more info
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jeez, you step away from the computer for a couple hours and come back to shocking news.  I can't say I'm enthusiastic about yet another transfer QB coming into the program.  That being said, he's probably the best transfer QB to come to Oregon in recent memory.  He's definitely a step up from AB since he's a better (but not great) passer as well as plenty of experience against SEC competition.  

I imagine Lanning and Dillingham are making an educated guess based on the limited exposure to the current QB room and bringing Nix in as an insurance policy.  All the current QBs are still very young and of course, Cristobal's now infamous reputation for under-developing QBs have probably led them to make this play.  I think it's likely at least one QB transfers out...maybe Butterfield or Ashford.

Just like some other posters, I don't like this move. Bo was/is very inconsistent. I guess we'll see if what happens to the QB room in the next couple of months.

On 12/19/2021 at 5:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It feels like we got the Auburn version of Tyler Shough?

Oregon has recruited many QB's who have liked being the Clipboard carrier of the team, rather than compete for the starting job.  The last QB's I recall fighting for the job, Nate Costa/injury, Bryan Bennett/transfer.  I know there have been numerous QB's that have sought the job but did little to earn it.  Maybe for some, it was a job that filled a spot as they sought their degrees.

2009 to 2021 Football Roster per GoDucks.com

Nate Costa (O Grad back up/injuries), Jeremiah Masoli (starter released/conduct), Darron Thomas (O early Grad backup starter),  Chris Harper (?), Dustin Haines (O Grad clipboard), Daryle Hawkins (O Grad clipboard/position change), Bryan Bennett (clipboard backup transfer), Brennan Doty (?), Marcus Mariota (O early Grad clipboard starter),  Jake Rodrigues (injury/clipboard transfer), Jeff Lockie (O Grad Clipboard), Taylor Alie (O Grad Clipboard), Ty Griffin (O Grad clipboard/position change), Morgan Mahalak (clipboard transfer), Vernon Adams Jr (Grad transfer starter), Travis Jonsen (clipboard transfer), Terry Wilson Jr (clipboard transfer), Dakota Prukop (Grad transfer starter/clipboard), Justin Herbert (O Grad back up/starter), Braxton Burmeister (starter transfer), Demetri Burch (?), Mike Irwin (clipboard), Tyler Shough (clipboard starter transfer), Bradley Yaffe (O Grad clipboard), Cale Millen (clipboard transfer), Robby Ashford (baseball clipboard), Jay Butterfield (clipboard), Anthony Brown (Grad transfer clipboard starter), A.J. Abbott (clipboard ?) and Ty Thompson (clipboard backup).

As you might see, too many of the QB's were happy to carry a clipboard.  Transferred out due to the level of hard work required or level of competition for Oregon Duck Starting QB.  Some transferred to find a system fit after spending time on the Clipboard Crew.  Injuries hampered others like Jake Rodrigues and Nate Costa.  While others were content with lesser roles.

I understand why a New Head Coach might want to reach out to the portal to cover his basis.  It allows for evaluation of the talent on hand in Ashford, Butterfield and Thompson.  Now, with Bo Nix in the mix, will we have good competition?  Does Ashford elect to try his hand at baseball full time?  Does Butterfield show he is ready for the job or happy sending in signals from the sideline?  Does the elite talent of Ty Thompson just expose the over rated recruit evaluation system of Rivals and ESPN.  We can only hope they will all compete to do their best with a coach that does his best to develop talent.

Guest KingT

I don't think we have a choice if we want to be competitive. If Ty and Buttes were ready, they would've seen some action. The PAC has experienced or Transfer QBs throughout the league. I think we are seeing the Portal as the standard way to fill in shoulder years while developing young QBs. My hunch is Nix will share time with the others until someone emerges. Looks like Chip got the best Transfer QB though.