Charles Fischer

Bo Nix: "Very Similar to Anthony Brown as a Passer"

Please...not another season like 2021!

Mr. FishDuck

Oh no.   I must admit that other than that one game in 2019, I haven't watched BN play at all.    But again, if TT or others can't beat BN to start, then we really do have a QB problem.

This tidbit from The Oregonian article may be pertinent.  That is a lot of different coaches.

He played for two head coaches (Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin) and three different offensive coordinators (Dillingham, Chad Morris, Mike Bobo) during his time at Auburn.

Couple other items.  His 247 composite rating was slightly higher than Ty Thompson.  Also he has already graduated.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/19/2021 at 6:46 PM, McDuck said:

He played for two head coaches (Gus Malzahn and Bryan Harsin) and three different offensive coordinators (Dillingham, Chad Morris, Mike Bobo) during his time at Auburn.

I was about to point that out as well.  That's a ton of coaching turnover that would disrupt the development of any QB.  Had Dillingham stayed with Auburn, he might have turned into one of the best QBs in the SEC.

Dillingham will get the chance to finish the job he started with BN. 

Sec freshman of the year under DLs tutelage. Nix must like him or I doubt if he would of come to Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good match!   Dillingham and Nix

Consider that Bo played Bama, LSU and A & M , and crossover games in the SEC. The O Line was mediocre at best. So Bo's stats are against multiple players who are now or will be in the NFL ........Not a real comparison to AB's stats 

Oregon has a 2 deep powerhouse line in a weak as hec conference. That line will be learning a new system with multiple set schemes. 

Do you want rookies learning a new system or an experienced multi year QB potentially running the show?

The Duck offense, barring transfers, has alot of skilled position players to compliment that beast of a line. Just needs a skilled leader who must cut down on lazy and careless mistakes .....

Young man has no quit in him. Just ask the Duck players from our 12-2, 2019 team.

Hope Bo is the first of many SEC portal transfers. Coach Lanning and his staff have those connections.

I for one am going to enjoy the first great new player move by our new coaching staff........ 

More than one way to build a CFP team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to Autzen and the DUCKS

• Thumbs Up 1

It will be interesting to see which of our young QBs stick around for another year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2021 at 5:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Please...not another season like 2021!

Well.. I won't entirely be like 2021 if Nix is the starting QB... our defense WILL be better under Lanning ... so at the very least we will probably win by more than one score... but the scoreboard might look something like... 21-3 Oregon.

Though I do feel Nix is completely a safety net for this coaching staff. He has worked with Dillingham and Lanning is familiar with him because Georgia has played Auburn so he has studied Nix's tape for his own DC purposes. Lanning and Dillingham don't actually know the roster terribly well besides who's on it and the depth chart and maybe Dillingham has seen a little bit of practice but in truth it is all a mystery to them. Especially when they are not inheriting a starting QB.

Taggart talked a lot about how there was an open competition at QB when he took over but everyone knew it was going to be Herbert. Then Cirstobal took over and knew Herbert was the starter for the first two years... and then no need to go into the last two years we all know what has happened there more or less.

Nix is going to take far more deep shots down field than AB of course that means more chances for interceptions. As far as those over the middle short screen passes, he had SEC style defenses coming at him. AB had PAC defenses to contend with--way different.

• Like 1

I really don't think it sends a good signal to top tier QB recruits to have a guy transfer in and take their opportunity.

I get the spirit of QB competition but it seems Oregon had its best years with QB's that were recruited and played in the program (Mariota and Herbert). I hope Ty Thompson beats Nix out by a long shot. Lots of one year QB's coming in...just sayin

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/20/2021 at 6:39 AM, BiggDuckfan said:

I really don't think it sends a good signal to top tier QB recruits to have a guy transfer in and take their opportunity.

I get the spirit of QB competition but it seems Oregon had its best years with QB's that were recruited and played in the program (Mariota and Herbert). I hope Ty Thompson beats Nix out by a long shot. Lots of one year QB's coming in...just sayin

Agreed. We've been spoiled that most years of the last decade we had either Marcus or Justin at QB and a solid running game. I was perhaps the last Duck fan loyal to Anthony Brown, but he played Utah like a crash test dummy expecting to be hit at all times. 

If Nix becomes the starter and can help the Ducks build a good lead in games, I hope that Lanning will be happy to let the other QBs get into the game at some point too.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:28 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Consider that Bo played Bama, LSU and A & M , and crossover games in the SEC. The O Line was mediocre at best. So Bo's stats are against multiple players who are now or will be in the NFL ........Not a real comparison to AB's stats 

Oregon has a 2 deep powerhouse line in a weak as hec conference. That line will be learning a new system with multiple set schemes. 

Do you want rookies learning a new system or an experienced multi year QB potentially running the show?

The Duck offense, barring transfers, has alot of skilled position players to compliment that beast of a line. Just needs a skilled leader who must cut down on lazy and careless mistakes .....

Young man has no quit in him. Just ask the Duck players from our 12-2, 2019 team.

Hope Bo is the first of many SEC portal transfers. Coach Lanning and his staff have those connections.

I for one am going to enjoy the first great new player move by our new coaching staff........ 

More than one way to build a CFP team.

AMEN! Comparing the stats Brown put up in the ACC with those Nix put up in the SEC is sour apples vs perfectly ripe oranges.

I sure hope your wrong

On 12/20/2021 at 6:39 AM, BiggDuckfan said:

You joined, you posted and it is always great to add someone new to the community.  Do post your thoughts often and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/20/2021 at 9:39 AM, BiggDuckfan said:

However, and  BDF and your point is well made, welcome to QB recruiting in this day and age of CFB 'free agency.' Many the HS QB coaching guru is complaining about CFB coaches ignoring HS recruits in favor of 'portal guys.' After one miss-fire in 2021, the portal for the QB position worked out just fine for Utah, with Rising, a transfer from TX, taking over for Brewer, a transfer from Baylor. The portal also worked well for Utah at RB just like it worked well for Chip at UCLA. And Chip just signed QB Dillon Gabriel out of the portal and DeBoer at UW signed QB Michael Penix out of the portal.

A coach has seen many the 'portal' QB play against college competition. And the free transfer in CFB is a 1 time deal. You sign a guy out of the portal and he is not, if he plays 4 or more games, leaving your QB room without sitting out a year.

It's a new day in CFB. Guys signed out of the portal are likely to give you more productivity than a guy signed out of HS.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

It's a new day in CFB. Guys signed out of the portal are likely to give you more productivity than a guy signed out of HS.

Pre-Portal, but in 2015 a Grad. Transfer for the Ducks was a lot better than the QB's on the roster. Remember what happened when VA was knocked out the Alamo Bowl against TCU?