Handy Duck

Even a Bad Bo is a Good Sign For our Ducks!

I know, I know: we've been spoiled as Ducks by having either Marcus or Justin as Marble Statue QBs for our Ducks for most of the last decade, and the last thing we ever had to 

worry about was our Offense. So having this year's Broken Toy offense has been very unfamiliar and painful: I took to recording Duck games and only watching them when I knew the 

outcome--skulking through them like an abuse victim trying to avoid further anguish. 

BUT, I take great pleasure in seeing Bo Nix jump to Oregon recently EVEN if he never plays a snap in a game: because Bo just put Oregon on the map for a lot of kids in the SEC who 

couldn't  find us on a map otherwise---and that's gonna pay dividends in recruiting for years to come. That's probably my favorite thing about college ball--the regional loyalty of it: that 

kids in Alabama and Louisiana who've been watching Bo Nix for the fifteen years he seems to've been at Auburn will now be loyal to him in a Duck uniform and consider us just like Bo did. 

Do I wish Bo would flame out early so we can finally start Ty Thompson or one of our Bonus Baby Ducks? Of course! I like having a consistent QB yearly. Do I suspect that our new OC will 

be hard pressed to bench Bo, having coached him as a frosh at Auburn? Of course. And will my heart break a little watching our stable of thoroughbred QBs jump ship? Yep. 

But one thing we know for sure: Oregon is truly an elite school now. Elite enough to lure Kirby Smart's DC away, and along with him, a string of SEC stalwarts who wouldn't've considered us 

five years ago. And that's very very good news for Our Beloved Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

And remember Bo's numbers although similar to AB's, I think one of them faced a lot better defenses than the other.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Bo creates a good base line for the Ducks. They now know that they have a competent QB that's familiar with the offense. If none of the young QBs can beat him out of the starting spot then we have made an upgrade at a critical position. If Someone does beat him out, then we have an even better starter with a solid back up. If someone transfers because they lack the confidence to beat him out what have we really lost. It all seems good to me.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

. It all seems good to me.

It all adds up positive to me as well. 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:39 AM, Handy Duck said:

I know, I know: we've been spoiled as Ducks by having either Marcus or Justin as Marble Statue QBs for our Ducks for most of the last decade, and the last thing we ever had to 

worry about was our Offense. So having this year's Broken Toy offense has been very unfamiliar and painful: I took to recording Duck games and only watching them when I knew the 

outcome--skulking through them like an abuse victim trying to avoid further anguish. 

BUT, I take great pleasure in seeing Bo Nix jump to Oregon recently EVEN if he never plays a snap in a game: because Bo just put Oregon on the map for a lot of kids in the SEC who 

couldn't  find us on a map otherwise---and that's gonna pay dividends in recruiting for years to come. That's probably my favorite thing about college ball--the regional loyalty of it: that 

kids in Alabama and Louisiana who've been watching Bo Nix for the fifteen years he seems to've been at Auburn will now be loyal to him in a Duck uniform and consider us just like Bo did. 

Do I wish Bo would flame out early so we can finally start Ty Thompson or one of our Bonus Baby Ducks? Of course! I like having a consistent QB yearly. Do I suspect that our new OC will 

be hard pressed to bench Bo, having coached him as a frosh at Auburn? Of course. And will my heart break a little watching our stable of thoroughbred QBs jump ship? Yep. 

But one thing we know for sure: Oregon is truly an elite school now. Elite enough to lure Kirby Smart's DC away, and along with him, a string of SEC stalwarts who wouldn't've considered us 

five years ago. And that's very very good news for Our Beloved Ducks. 

Great post.

Bo has 2 years of eligibility remaining. Ty Thompson or any of the young QBs can transfer if they like and regardless, after 2 years if they are good enough they can go pro. And I dislike saying it but if Ty or any other young QB was 'a thoroughbred' good one of them certainly should have been able to beat out Brown. In his freshman season Nix went 9-4 and defeated Oregon and Alabama among others.

BTW, when I see Nix' career stats compared to Brown's I have to LOL. Compare the competition Nix played against in the SEC with that Brown played against in the ACC? Nix was constantly playing against better guys on D than was Brown.  Unlike Brown, Nix has started and won more than a single game vs a top 25 team. 

Get used to the idea that QB recruiting today is going to be focused as much as or more so on the portal than on HS players. In the portal, you have seen a guy play in college and once he transfers to your program he cannot transfer again without sitting out a year.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/20/2021 at 8:39 AM, Handy Duck said:

And that's very very good news for Our Beloved Ducks. 

You signed up today, posted immediately and it is a dandy. Great to see you join the conversation, do post often and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

First post for me here. I've been a Eugene resident and Duck fan since 1987. Also paid the UO lots of coin to educate two kids. I appreciate the Fishduck forum and the articles that have been published over the years. 

Two things strike me about the Bo Nix transfer.  His relationship with the new OC and experience may not quite rank up there with Joe Burrow to LSU, and his metrics may look only so-so on the surface, but he has won some big games and the potential is certainly there. Second, the last two times Oregon had freshman/redshirt freshman QBs waiting in the wings that were elevated to the starting job, they were identified early. The first precipitated the exit of a QB that took the Ducks to the National Championship game and the first Rose Bowl victory in decades, then went on to another Championship final, a Heisman trophy and a top 2 NFL draft pick. The second got thrown to the lions and took over a rebuilding team, ultimately won a Rose Bowl, got drafted high in the first round and became the NFL offensive ROTY. My impression is that the young 4/5☆ QBs aren't of the same caliber and the new coaching staff knows that. Maybe they hope the competition will drive one to emerge as the next great Oregon QB. Overall I see it as a smart move.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's very rare for a freshman to start and play extremely well. That being said said our QBs are not true Fr. 

If they are better they will play if not we have a proven 1 now that will help us next season.

I believe it's a win/win for the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta say it's a bit rich reading how Oregon's young QB's need to suck it up step up and compete for the starting job if they really want it......why do you guys think most players go to the portal to start with?....answer: if they stay where they are they'll sit - they'll get beat out.....are they not doing that for which you criticize Oregon players?

It seems to me that we just don't have enough evidence to determine the potential of any of the youg QB's. A Spring game, very limited access to the practice field, and how many live game snaps? 

People say there must be a reason that they played AB over them, implying the young QB's were either not ready or not talented. I find that a very thin argument. 

While the Ducks were a 10 win team (yay!) the way they won games rarely allowed the opportunity for the young QB's to get live game snaps. Nor did it give us the opportunity to make a judgement on the coaching staffs ability or inability to develop the potential talent. 

It has been asserted that incoming OC Dillingham is a good QB evaluator and developer. That is encouraging. But it also makes sense for the incoming staff to take some wins where they can. For many reasons, Nix makes sense. Although I admit I did not see it coming. 

Being the optimist I am, I look forward to seeing what happens at the QB position. As fans, we like stories of hope and the promise of better times. This is a fun story. Let's hope it has a great ending. On a personal note, I would love to see Nix do well enough to put some games away in the first half, and the coaching staff bold enough to give the developing QB's more live game snaps. Not just hand offs at the end of a game, but the opportunity to run the offense with a full arsenal of plays at their disposal.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

Not welcoming Bo would be like walking by a $20 on the sidewalk and not stoping to pick it up because it would upset the other bills in your wallet.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3