FishDuck Article

Ducks: Growing Pains, Youth Movement and Recruiting

There has been a whirlwind of activity around the Oregon football program over the past couple of weeks — so many topics and issues that it is hard to keep up. But darn it, I try my best. Here are my three thoughts of the day. 1. Nepotism To touch on Mr. FishDuck’s article from yesterday on the unfair influence ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Guest KingT

Well said. Recruiting is a big bonus but it's not the only way to win. If that were the case USC would've won every year, Utah would not. Let's face it, you need to get big athletic kids and THEN coach them up. As we've seen in the Cristobal era, it's not enough to have just 4/5*s without proper development. 

Darren solid article and right to the point. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

The Oregon family of coaches and players grew the brand to a better level of football. Each member of the family brought something to the table to move the program forward.

Phil and Penny invested in the future of Oregon sports. First class state of the art facilities. Designed to and for future Duck athletes. Flashy and innovative uniforms chosen by current players but designed to catch the eye of future players.

But Chips forward thinking and creative offense moved the brand to the next level. Coupled with those gifted, high flying players you mentioned Oregon became a National Brand.

Coaches, players and boosters moving forward to a better future. And fan support exploded.

Recently, at a 50 year plus high school reunion, I spent a weekend of looking back. Wonderful and warm memories. As the first evening was drawing to a close a familiar face approached me. I had sat next to her for 3 years in homeroom. Just a wonderful girl who had become a doctor.  She sat down and let out a long sigh. I asked her what's wrong?

I was very surprised at her answer. I am a little tired of hearing about the past, doesn't anyone have plans for the future? I want to travel and try new things. Any suggestions? For the next few hours I shared with her great places and events that I have experienced in my travels.

As she listened and asked questions I could sense her excitement for her future travel plans. 

Look forward, learn from others and make every day an adventure.... 

I hope Coach Lanning and his staff,  with all their youth, bring the Oregon Brand a Natty.

Recruit the 4/5 stars. But learn from the last 6 seasons at Oregon. These gifted and talented players need to be properly coached. 

Potential is nothing more than future possibilities............

What will you do with all that potential?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

So right about the problems at USC. I was surprised to find out Rich Brooks was 35 when hired. He always seemed old and dour.

Thanks for the article Darren!  You said:

"Sometimes you just have to take guys who fly under the radar and coach them up. So, take solace in knowing that no matter what, Lanning cannot do worse than Cristobal when it comes to getting the most out of his players. And, I’m willing to bet he will do one hell of a job."

I'm also confident that Coach Lanning and staff will coach up the players.  It will be great to see the players develop during their career at Oregon!

I would add the Ducks recruiting needs a few more things to really make it special, again. We need speed, blindness to the star factor and the it factor.

Number 1 we need to get back to having speed on the team. Tyreek Hill wasn't even recruited as a football player out of high school, although he was high school track athlete of the year. Speed kills and not just on the highways and freeways. It kills on the football field and it is time to scare the football world, again with Oregon Speed. We need to leverage our Track and Field roots. This can also help on the line and defense, but we need to bring in elite speed, now!

I say blindness to the star factor because our previous coach said he wanted players who couldn't live without football, but he didn't recruit the kids who hadn't reached all they could out of football. Potential in a player is sometimes more valuable than a player who has been to all the camps, coached up to his potential and everybody wants. We need to get back to having more student athletes who have a chip on their shoulders, not just bruises on their backs from everybody patting them day in and day out. We can still recruit the high star kids, just not kids chasing the star rating all the time.

The it factor goes back to being blind to the star ratings, but it does deeper. We need to find more kids who play with passion and flair. I go back to the recruitment of Shough over Brock Purdy at Iowa State. Shough had a higher star rating, but when I watched Purdy against our Ducks I just saw, what we use to have in stark contrast to what we had become. We went after the stats, size, height, arm strength, instead of the kid who beat Shough every time they played in high school and college. Purdy knew how to compete, and lead, Shough looked good on the shelf. No more shelf shopping!

We need to get back to recruiting more kids we want and less kids everyone else wants. These are the kids who will want to win it all for the Oregon Ducks Football Program.

I know this speaks to going backwards, something which was frowned on yesterday and today, but I think it speaks to a problem with any program can develop. We have to go after our guys, guys who fit Oregon's blueprint and that isn't blue bloods!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Oregons foot print has changed so much that it can be hard to recognize.

The landscape is different. I personally would like a team full of 4/5 stars. Why?

Because inspite of a coaching staff that under performed in player development the talent on the field won 37 games.

We could see the results of poor coaching during the games.

Here's hoping that Coach Lanning and his staff can recruit at high level and coach them into a juggernaut. 

I won't settle for less.......

Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State recruit 4/5 stars and coach them up. The Natty runs thru those schools.

Are we really hungry for the good Ole days?

• Thumbs Up 2

This recruiting class won't have Oregon in the Top 10, and with the schedule and the new coach, new QB, new OC, new DC, and the complete overhaul those changes will bring, Oregon might not win the North. I'm fine with that.

Time for something new. Even if the record plays fine after 4 years, listening to the same old songs gets old, Time to put the vinyl back in the rack and download the new hits. DL and his band will have some new hits, hopefully bouncier, faster tempo, and it will be great to not know exactly what we'll hear next!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

A quick story about the underdog creating the superstar, I think is warranted. 

A friend of mine was in foster care and was living a very rough life. A family with an elite athlete, who had little motivation decided to adopt him. The two boys became the perfect match. The son went on to an NFL career, a career he undoubtedly never would have reached. My friend only ended up reaching an NFL practice squad. He is a successful business man now, still with some issues.

Both of these young men were headed for much less. My friend probably would have ended up in jail or dead. The NFL player, most likely would have just been a very good player. The edge he got was from seeing, living the passion, energy the kid who had nothing brought into the family. The dad, mom couldn't create that passion, drive, they knew it.

I think a football program is the same. A program needs the underdog, the driving force to succeed, not just the athletes who everyone knows has the tools to do it all. 

I hope, and believe Lanning gets that. Georgia's roster is full of the elite talent, but the back end is the 3* kids. We can't forget the passion and potential these kid bring a program, ever.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/21/2021 at 7:39 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would add the Ducks recruiting needs a few more things to really make it special, again. We need speed, blindness to the star factor and the it factor.

Number 1 we need to get back to having speed on the team. Tyreek Hill wasn't even recruited as a football player out of high school, although he was high school track athlete of the year. Speed kills and not just on the highways and freeways. It kills on the football field and it is time to scare the football world, again with Oregon Speed. We need to leverage our Track and Field roots. This can also help on the line and defense, but we need to bring in elite speed, now!

I say blindness to the star factor because our previous coach said he wanted players who couldn't live without football, but he didn't recruit the kids who hadn't reached all they could out of football. Potential in a player is sometimes more valuable than a player who has been to all the camps, coached up to his potential and everybody wants. We need to get back to having more student athletes who have a chip on their shoulders, not just bruises on their backs from everybody patting them day in and day out. We can still recruit the high star kids, just not kids chasing the star rating all the time.

The it factor goes back to being blind to the star ratings, but it does deeper. We need to find more kids who play with passion and flair. I go back to the recruitment of Shough over Brock Purdy at Iowa State. Shough had a higher star rating, but when I watched Purdy against our Ducks I just saw, what we use to have in stark contrast to what we had become. We went after the stats, size, height, arm strength, instead of the kid who beat Shough every time they played in high school and college. Purdy knew how to compete, and lead, Shough looked good on the shelf. No more shelf shopping!

We need to get back to recruiting more kids we want and less kids everyone else wants. These are the kids who will want to win it all for the Oregon Ducks Football Program.

I know this speaks to going backwards, something which was frowned on yesterday and today, but I think it speaks to a problem with any program can develop. We have to go after our guys, guys who fit Oregon's blueprint and that isn't blue bloods!

You should write more articles for the fans of Oregon Duck football!  You have tremendous power in what you write!

Speed kills on the football field!  Speed has been sacrificed the last 4 years for size and physicality. We need fast and athletic at all positions.  Great points to ponder!

Thanks Haywarduck!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, Smith72 said:

You should write more articles for the fans of Oregon Duck football!  You have tremendous power in what you write!

Speed kills on the football field!  Speed has been sacrificed the last 4 years for size and physicality. We need fast and athletic at all positions.  Great points to ponder!

Thanks Haywarduck!

Thank you, my wife says I bring passion and stories, sometimes too much of both. It is nice to have an outlet where these attributes aren't seen as too over the top, which I have to be careful about, otherwise.

Talking to Charles, our wife's, friends often echo what we hear about our writing on FishDuck. Some of us have to shift a little our over the top passion, or just way of expressing ourselves to fit in within the rules. Something we should all be aware of when reflecting on what we write.

I know my passion can be too cutting, at times. I have to watch how hard I come across, a good exercise to better myself. I really wanted to write Cristobal is a lying ass, but I knew that is too over the top.

5yo9e9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Bullet-point 3 (Recruiting Rankings) was a nice “off-the-ledge” take that is something I personally need to keep in mind. 

Following the Havana Huckster’s dangling of the Peter Dinklage honorary Hurricane jersey at his introductory press conference, I was pretty bummed.  The next kick to the groin was losing a top-tier recruit (TMc) in Jerry McGuire “night before the draft” fashion after having this kid in our back pocket for months.  To add insult to injury we lost him to…Arizona!  Really? 

Of course this prompted an immediate check of 247 Sports to confirm my suspicions of a precipitous drop in rankings.  I had to keep scrolling and scrolling and SCROLLING until I final saw the green “O” sandwiched between UCLA (45) and Northwestern (47) at number 46.  Now I’m into the Christmas cookies, frequent Google ganders for hopeful Duck news, and checking OBD religiously every 30 minutes for a glimmer of hope from you guys.

I practically accosted my 65 year old neighbor railing on-and-on about how “it’s all over” and “why would I even want watch football this year?”  BTW –my neighbor wouldn’t know the difference between a football and a kookaburra ball.  I would pinch myself but I’m old enough to know that the past few weeks happened and what’s transpiring with the program is REAL.  So what’s next?

What’s next is digesting information such as select material being posted on the ODB board.  Those of you who look forward to the future of this team with the understanding that the new regime may actually put our talented cast in the best positions to succeed (for example: NOT dropping KT into coverage on 3rd and long) are spot on. 

Admittedly, my expectations will be somewhat tempered the next year or two given the transition of the coaching staff, expected shift in X’s & O’s philosophies, and the introduction of our young players.  I believe we’re still going to be privileged to watching winning football and perhaps a return to a more exciting style of football that was previously synonymous with the Oregon brand.  So, I thank all of you who have been diligent in raising the spirits of doubting Thomas’ such as myself.  My feet are once again solidly planted on the ground. 

Final note – I’ve never been to Autzen Stadium. I think the upcoming season may be the appropriate time to put a check in that box.  This group of players deserve appreciation and thanks for hanging in there through what’s transpired recently.  The least I can do is show up, have a few cold ones, and stretch my vocal cords with 50,000 plus new friends.

Take Care.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Very good take Darren, thank you. BTW, I resemble those old guys chugging them down on the 19th hole.

Looks like Portal QBs are trending up in the Pac-12? Slovis is out. Will Caleb Williams follow Riley to USC? I hope not.

UW - QB Michael Penix coming from Indiana to play for DeBoer. DeBoer was Indiana's OC and Penix' position coach when he had his best season. Pittman should be a big upgrade at QB for UW? 

QB Dillon Gabriel to UCLA - This says to me that DTR is not coming back for another season? If Chip brings in other guys from the portal to replace a lot of departing starters the 2021 schedule sets up well for the Bruins to have another good season. Only 4 conference road games and UCLA gets Utah in LA.

QB Jack Plummer from Purdue to CAL. A spotty career at Purdue. Some great games. Some terrible games.

QB Bo NIx from Auburn to Oregon - well discussed on this board. Nix is an example of how recruiting rankings do not tell the entire story in the day and age of the portal. Nix was a 5* recruit and on occasion, played like it at Auburn. Will not count as any kind of * on the Oregon roster. So, experienced players don't count but kids straight out of HS do count? 

Oregon as mentioned by others above, is likely to have growing pains next season in the face of an extremely difficult schedule. Playing UGA in Atlanta (possibly the defending national champ?) and BYU, 5-0 vs the conference in 2021, OOC is far from strategic playoff scheduling. Then, Oregon has 5 conference road games. Look at the ACC and SEC schedules. 8 conference games and almost all member schools play at least 7 and often 8, home games. And if WAZZU can get a H+H with Wisconsin, Utah with Florida, Arizona with Miss St and Alabama, CAL with Auburn, what in the heck is the Ducks doing playing a one off game in Atlanta vs Georgia. BTW, this game was scheduled by Rob Mullens in 2019. Mullens? SMH.

The 1 Pac-12 team favored in its bowl game, Oregon State, lost to a MW team and looked BAD in the process. The conference is 5-6 vs the MW in 2021. Any conference bowl win from here on out will be an upset.

Thanks again Darren. Always enjoy your takes. Hopefully the new, young Oregon coaching staff will be up for the job.

On 12/21/2021 at 4:25 AM, KingT said:

Well said. Recruiting is a big bonus but it's not the only way to win. If that were the case USC would've won every year, Utah would not. Let's face it, you need to get big athletic kids and THEN coach them up. As we've seen in the Cristobal era, it's not enough to have just 4/5*s without proper development. 

Yep, and that's why we are happy to have a coach can recruit AND will allmost assuredly coach them up better than MC.

On 12/21/2021 at 6:55 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Darren solid article and right to the point. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

The Oregon family of coaches and players grew the brand to a better level of football. Each member of the family brought something to the table to move the program forward.

Phil and Penny invested in the future of Oregon sports. First class state of the art facilities. Designed to and for future Duck athletes. Flashy and innovative uniforms chosen by current players but designed to catch the eye of future players.

But Chips forward thinking and creative offense moved the brand to the next level. Coupled with those gifted, high flying players you mentioned Oregon became a National Brand.

Coaches, players and boosters moving forward to a better future. And fan support exploded.

Recently, at a 50 year plus high school reunion, I spent a weekend of looking back. Wonderful and warm memories. As the first evening was drawing to a close a familiar face approached me. I had sat next to her for 3 years in homeroom. Just a wonderful girl who had become a doctor.  She sat down and let out a long sigh. I asked her what's wrong?

I was very surprised at her answer. I am a little tired of hearing about the past, doesn't anyone have plans for the future? I want to travel and try new things. Any suggestions? For the next few hours I shared with her great places and events that I have experienced in my travels.

As she listened and asked questions I could sense her excitement for her future travel plans. 

Look forward, learn from others and make every day an adventure.... 

I hope Coach Lanning and his staff,  with all their youth, bring the Oregon Brand a Natty.

Recruit the 4/5 stars. But learn from the last 6 seasons at Oregon. These gifted and talented players need to be properly coached. 

Potential is nothing more than future possibilities............

What will you do with all that potential?

Thanks for sharing, that is a great story, and inspriring. Actually a topic I tend to think about as I get older. Hopefully I will continue to look to the future as well. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:28 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

So right about the problems at USC. I was surprised to find out Rich Brooks was 35 when hired. He always seemed old and dour.

Yep, Brooks was a young, old-school type of leader for sure. 

I agree with you that it's too harsh. I don't believe that. MC was who he was. He was a lineman and coached as such

He produced things I never thought I would see in Eugene. Top 10 classes of recruiting. Even with the success of the CK years we had trouble with that as he himself noted.

CK was winning by out scheming our opponents. He changed CFB. But he moved on. Everybody copied him to the point it's no longer an advantage.

The blue bloods are doing similar things to what CK did. The difference is they get most of the 4/5 stars like Thibs, Sewell, Flowe, etc. Jon Joseph has pointed out the Natty winners are over 50% BLUE Chips (4/5 stars) numerous times.

If we want to be in the hunt we are going to have to keep recruiting like MC.

Does that mean lesser stars are irrelevant? No Not even Alabama has all 4 and 5's. A great coach identifies the lower players that will grind, coach them up and help the team win.

This can be the only recipe to playing for a Natty. Except for the Senior dominated teams which can level the playing field between talent and experience. But that's only once every couple of years. With the way players are opting out for the Draft it's only getting rarer.

Hopefully we will still be in the position where we can get elite talent, coach up the others and be winning. Only time will tell.

On 12/21/2021 at 7:35 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks for the article Darren!  You said:

"Sometimes you just have to take guys who fly under the radar and coach them up. So, take solace in knowing that no matter what, Lanning cannot do worse than Cristobal when it comes to getting the most out of his players. And, I’m willing to bet he will do one hell of a job."

I'm also confident that Coach Lanning and staff will coach up the players.  It will be great to see the players develop during their career at Oregon!

Yes, and competence on offense, no more Pistol Plunge!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/21/2021 at 7:39 AM, Haywarduck said:

Totally correct. I live up here in Wazzu country, and we all still root hard for Gardiner Minshew! (he should be starting tonight) The epitome of what you are talking about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:51 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Oregons foot print has changed so much that it can be hard to recognize.

The landscape is different. I personally would like a team full of 4/5 stars. Why?

Because inspite of a coaching staff that under performed in player development the talent on the field won 37 games.

We could see the results of poor coaching during the games.

Here's hoping that Coach Lanning and his staff can recruit at high level and coach them into a juggernaut. 

I won't settle for less.......

Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State recruit 4/5 stars and coach them up. The Natty runs thru those schools.

Are we really hungry for the good Ole days?

Agree. And that's why in spite of his inability to coach guys up, MC is so important in the history of Oregon football. He proved you can recruit big to Eugene, when it was always thought that you couldn't. Now combine the great recruiting with great coaching, and watch out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, 30Duck said:

This recruiting class won't have Oregon in the Top 10, and with the schedule and the new coach, new QB, new OC, new DC, and the complete overhaul those changes will bring, Oregon might not win the North. I'm fine with that.

Time for something new. Even if the record plays fine after 4 years, listening to the same old songs gets old, Time to put the vinyl back in the rack and download the new hits. DL and his band will have some new hits, hopefully bouncier, faster tempo, and it will be great to not know exactly what we'll hear next!

Totally, MC leaving will prove to be beneficial to the Ducks. 

On 12/21/2021 at 8:20 AM, Haywarduck said:

A quick story about the underdog creating the superstar, I think is warranted. 

A friend of mine was in foster care and was living a very rough life. A family with an elite athlete, who had little motivation decided to adopt him. The two boys became the perfect match. The son went on to an NFL career, a career he undoubtedly never would have reached. My friend only ended up reaching an NFL practice squad. He is a successful business man now, still with some issues.

Both of these young men were headed for much less. My friend probably would have ended up in jail or dead. The NFL player, most likely would have just been a very good player. The edge he got was from seeing, living the passion, energy the kid who had nothing brought into the family. The dad, mom couldn't create that passion, drive, they knew it.

I think a football program is the same. A program needs the underdog, the driving force to succeed, not just the athletes who everyone knows has the tools to do it all. 

I hope, and believe Lanning gets that. Georgia's roster is full of the elite talent, but the back end is the 3* kids. We can't forget the passion and potential these kid bring a program, ever.

Thanks for sharing.... Gotta have The Eye of the Tiger, baby, Eye of the Tiger!!!

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 9:22 AM, Jester said:

Bullet-point 3 (Recruiting Rankings) was a nice “off-the-ledge” take that is something I personally need to keep in mind. 

Following the Havana Huckster’s dangling of the Peter Dinklage honorary Hurricane jersey at his introductory press conference, I was pretty bummed.  The next kick to the groin was losing a top-tier recruit (TMc) in Jerry McGuire “night before the draft” fashion after having this kid in our back pocket for months.  To add insult to injury we lost him to…Arizona!  Really? 

Of course this prompted an immediate check of 247 Sports to confirm my suspicions of a precipitous drop in rankings.  I had to keep scrolling and scrolling and SCROLLING until I final saw the green “O” sandwiched between UCLA (45) and Northwestern (47) at number 46.  Now I’m into the Christmas cookies, frequent Google ganders for hopeful Duck news, and checking OBD religiously every 30 minutes for a glimmer of hope from you guys.

I practically accosted my 65 year old neighbor railing on-and-on about how “it’s all over” and “why would I even want watch football this year?”  BTW –my neighbor wouldn’t know the difference between a football and a kookaburra ball.  I would pinch myself but I’m old enough to know that the past few weeks happened and what’s transpiring with the program is REAL.  So what’s next?

What’s next is digesting information such as select material being posted on the ODB board.  Those of you who look forward to the future of this team with the understanding that the new regime may actually put our talented cast in the best positions to succeed (for example: NOT dropping KT into coverage on 3rd and long) are spot on. 

Admittedly, my expectations will be somewhat tempered the next year or two given the transition of the coaching staff, expected shift in X’s & O’s philosophies, and the introduction of our young players.  I believe we’re still going to be privileged to watching winning football and perhaps a return to a more exciting style of football that was previously synonymous with the Oregon brand.  So, I thank all of you who have been diligent in raising the spirits of doubting Thomas’ such as myself.  My feet are once again solidly planted on the ground. 

Final note – I’ve never been to Autzen Stadium. I think the upcoming season may be the appropriate time to put a check in that box.  This group of players deserve appreciation and thanks for hanging in there through what’s transpired recently.  The least I can do is show up, have a few cold ones, and stretch my vocal cords with 50,000 plus new friends.

Take Care.

"The Havana Huckster"... love it!  We lost some players due to MC bolting, but a new coach often brings in some different guys, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Plus, the recruiting sites , in my opinion, put to much emphasis on the size of the class, USC it ranked way down because they currently have a small class, but the average star-rating per player is top-ten. 

On 12/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I agree with you that it's to harsh. I don't believe that. MC was who he was. He was a lineman and coached as such

He produced things I never thought I would see in Eugene. Top 10 classes of recruiting. Even with the success of the CK years we had trouble with that as he himself noted.

CK was winning by out scheming our opponents. He changed CFB. But he moved on. Everybody copied him to the point it's no longer an advantage.

The blue bloods hare doing similar things to what CK did. The difference is they get most of the 4/5 stars like Thibs, Sewell, Flowe, etc. Jon Joseph has pointed out the Natty winners are over 50% BLUE Chips (4/5 stars) numerous times.

Does that mean lesser stars are irrelevant? No Not even Alabama has all 4 and 5's. A great coach identifies the lower players that will grind, coach them up and help the team win.

This can be the only recipe to playing for a Natty. Except for the Senior dominated teams which can level the playing field between talent and experience. But that's only once every couple of years. With the way players are opting out for the Draft it's only getting rarer.

Hopefully we will still be in the position where we can get elite talent, coach up the others and be winning. Only time will tell.

62-60 is Mario Cristobal. 

On 12/21/2021 at 9:50 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Very good take Darren, thank you. BTW, I resemble those old guys chugging them down on the 19th hole.

Looks like Portal QBs are trending up in the Pac-12? Slovis is out. Will Caleb Williams follow Riley to USC? I hope not.

UW - QB Michael Penix coming from Indiana to play for DeBoer. DeBoer was Indiana's OC and Penix' position coach when he had his best season. Pittman should be a big upgrade at QB for UW? 

QB Dillon Gabriel to UCLA - This says to me that DTR is not coming back for another season? If Chip brings in other guys from the portal to replace a lot of departing starters the 2021 schedule sets up well for the Bruins to have another good season. Only 4 conference road games and UCLA gets Utah in LA.

QB Jack Plummer from Purdue to CAL. A spotty career at Purdue. Some great games. Some terrible games.

QB Bo NIx from Auburn to Oregon - well discussed on this board. Nix is an example of how recruiting rankings do not tell the entire story in the day and age of the portal. Nix was a 5* recruit and on occasion, played like it at Auburn. Will not count as any kind of * on the Oregon roster. So, experienced players don't count but kids straight out of HS do count? 

Oregon as mentioned by others above, is likely to have growing pains next season in the face of an extremely difficult schedule. Playing UGA in Atlanta (possibly the defending national champ?) and BYU, 5-0 vs the conference in 2021, OOC is far from strategic playoff scheduling. Then, Oregon has 5 conference road games. Look at the ACC and SEC schedules. 8 conference games and almost all member schools play at least 7 and often 8, home games. And if WAZZU can get a H+H with Wisconsin, Utah with Florida, Arizona with Miss St and Alabama, CAL with Auburn, what in the heck is the Ducks doing playing a one off game in Atlanta vs Georgia. BTW, this game was scheduled by Rob Mullens in 2019. Mullens? SMH.

The 1 Pac-12 team favored in its bowl game, Oregon State, lost to a MW team and looked BAD in the process. The conference is 5-6 vs the MW in 2021. Any conference bowl win from here on out will be an upset.

Thanks again Darren. Always enjoy your takes. Hopefully the new, young Oregon coaching staff will be up for the job.

Thanks, Jon.  Off the top of my head, the Georgia scheduling was because Oregon (and Georgia) had a scheduling hole to fill, I could be wrong, but it was only scheduled a couple years ago, so something must have come up "last minute." Obviously, Oregon has had no problems over the past 20 years scheduling big-time home and home games, so it was something unique. 

So, that brings up location, these big-time one-offs seem to always get scheduled at "sexy" southern NFL stadium, partly because, outside of Phoenix, the West coast hasn't had any sexy new stadiums. But now, with LA and LV filling that void, I suspect some of these big-time one-offs will move west. Especially Las Vegas. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/21/2021 at 10:03 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I think maybe slightly lower recruiting rankings mixed with much higher development of the recruits once they're playing is the ticket to the Natty. Cristobal showed what it takes to recruit to Oregon and Lanning looks to have the energy and desire to get it done too. 

Nice article Darren, as usual. I’m old and conflicted regarding OBD.

Growing up in Eugene the Ducks were the only game in town. With the eyes of a child I believed them to be the best, when in reality they we’re consistently mediocre eventually in my young adulthood, with the exception of my undergraduate years when Jerry Frie coached Fouts and company to a string of winning seasons, the Ducks only national notice͓̽ was an occasional Bottom Ten mention.

You know the story from those days of obscurity to the almost National Championships. What a ride!

Now what to think? Jon and Hayward you are truth tellers; without majority of 4/5s on the team the current playoff is realistically unattainable.

Yet my fondest memories are not of Chip’s Blur blowouts or the near misses for the National Championship. Defeating the Dogs on Wheaton’s miracle, the Fiesta Bowl win over Colorado, beating Michigan in the Big House resonate more with me.

Hopelessly stuck in the past but hopeful for continued success. I’m eyeing the new coach and staff optimistically. 

Jon, next year’s schedule sucks and makes even another Alamo Bowl seem iffy. Hayward, speed, where did it go, or does our offense fail to utilize it?

So many questions to ponder. Charles thanks for a forum to consider all things Oregon. Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:28 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

The biggest thing I remember about Brooks is FIRE... He brought a level of grit and intensity to the locker room that few Oregon coaches, if any, have shown since.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mario was a charmer in the homes of the recruits. I mean his persona was very magnetic in that parents knew their kids would be in good hands with a guy that seemed so in charge, organized and respectful. He made the recruit feel great because he went over well with mom & pop.

Our knew young coaches will do well on the recruiting trail but they will need to come across composed, disciplined, and emit the kind of assurance that Mario was able too. 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:40 AM, Logger29 said:

Nice article Darren, as usual. I’m old and conflicted regarding OBD.

Growing up in Eugene the Ducks were the only game in town. With the eyes of a child I believed them to be the best, when in reality they we’re consistently mediocre eventually in my young adulthood, with the exception of my undergraduate years when Jerry Frie coached Fouts and company to a string of winning seasons, the Ducks only national notice͓̽ was an occasional Bottom Ten mention.

You know the story from those days of obscurity to the almost National Championships. What a ride!

Now what to think? Jon and Hayward you are truth tellers; without majority of 4/5s on the team the current playoff is realistically unattainable.

Yet my fondest memories are not of Chip’s Blur blowouts or the near misses for the National Championship. Defeating the Dogs on Wheaton’s miracle, the Fiesta Bowl win over Colorado, beating Michigan in the Big House resonate more with me.

Hopelessly stuck in the past but hopeful for continued success. I’m eyeing the new coach and staff optimistically. 

Jon, next year’s schedule sucks and makes even another Alamo Bowl seem iffy. Hayward, speed, where did it go, or does our offense fail to utilize it?

So many questions to ponder. Charles thanks for a forum to consider all things Oregon. Go Ducks!

I guess a possible analogy, is one watching their kids grow up. Often the fondest memories were when they were little kids, but now as they tranisition into adulthood they need guidance in making adult decision. They're not the cute innocent little kids anymore. 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:53 AM, Duckhart said:

Mario was a charmer in the homes of the recruits. I mean his persona was very magnetic in that parents knew their kids would be in good hands with a guy that seemed so in charge, organized and respectful. He made the recruit feel great because he went over well with mom & pop.

Our knew young coaches will do well on the recruiting trail but they will need to come across composed, disciplined, and emit the kind of assurance that Mario was able too. 

Yeah, it will be a little different for sure. They'll need to sell themselves as the responsible older brother or uncle type figure, not the DAD. lol. 

Even with MC we still missed out on most top 5* recruits. We did ok with 4*. 

So I believe we are even going to somehow do better than MC and his staff.

That's why the Malchow signing could turn out to be the most significant hire even if he will not be a coach.

He just helped Texas A&M to the top class.  Also with a dynamic coaching staff it could be a winning ticket. 

Now they have to prove they can win, dominate the PAC and keep playing and beating the big boys.

So far thumbs up but again only time will tell. I'm hopeful but skeptical. There's a lot of potential pot holes in the road ahead.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:09 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Yeah, it will be a little different for sure. They'll need to sell themselves as the responsible older brother or uncle type figure, not the DAD. lol. 

The uncle you hope your kid listens too, not just the one the kid is pulled toward. We have all had those type of uncle figures!  

Unknown-3.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:15 AM, Haywarduck said:

The uncle you hope your kid listens too, not just the one the kid is pulled toward. We have all had those type of uncle figures!  

Unknown-3.jpeg

Uncle Rico, a true leader by example!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, Darren Perkins said:

So, that brings up location, these big-time one-offs seem to always get scheduled at "sexy" southern NFL stadium, partly because, outside of Phoenix, the West coast hasn't had any sexy new stadiums. But now, with LA and LV filling that void, I suspect some of these big-time one-offs will move west. Especially Las Vegas. 

Yes! This! 

Two big time stadiums in Vegas and LA.

There should ALWAYS have been a big west coast early season game out here. 

The bogus "neutral site" games at Jerry World and Atlanta have gotten old. 

Bring on the "Western Classic" 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/21/2021 at 2:18 PM, shawnski said:

Yes! This! 

Two big time stadiums in Vegas and LA.

There should ALWAYS have been a big west coast early season game out here. 

The bogus "neutral site" games at Jerry World and Atlanta have gotten old. 

It will be interesting to see how many ASU and Wisconsin fans will show up for the Las Vegas Bowl. Phoenix to LV is a pretty easy drive but do ASU fans care enough to show up? With the 'Vegas Package' being pitched to Wisky fans and the game being played the evening before New Year's Eve, I think many Badgers fans will attend this game?

Las Vegas and not San Antonio is where the Pac-12 should be sending its 2nd best team.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Las Vegas and not San Antonio is where the Pac-12 should be sending its 2nd best team.

Jon, as you just indicated. It isn't hard to spotlight where Larry and now GK, have dropped the ball as far as putting the Pac-12 in the best light possible. It's bad enough that Pac-12 After Dark is a joke.

SOFI Stadium in Inglewood is the showcase of football Stadiums. GK needs to do whatever it takes to make it the Prime location for a Pac-12 team to play for regular season OOC games, and by now, let the CFP have the Rose Bowl. If the Pac-12 Champ isn't in the Final Four, it should play in the SOFI Bowl. 

On 12/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, shawnski said:

Sounds like a hamburger lol

• Haha 1

Mario was exposed this year. Yea, injury didn't help but these kids were starting to catch on to MC's abilities. Rumors of grumbling in the locker room and Pittman leaving mid season says a lot. Miami put a bandaid on reality but Oregon should be grateful the Canes stepped up. $9 mil, Pfft. 

Lanning will not only out perform MC on the trail, he will also out perform MC on Saturdays. We are all a little nervous about this class and losing existing talent. Remember that Lanning is preoccupied with coaching the bulldogs to a championship run. After Jan 11 I fully expect the tide will turn for the Ducks on the trail and portal

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2021 at 9:50 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Looks like Portal QBs are trending up in the Pac-12? Slovis is out

On 12/21/2021 at 3:23 PM, 30Duck said:

Jon, as you just indicated. It isn't hard to spotlight where Larry and now GK, have dropped the ball as far as putting the Pac-12 in the best light possible. It's bad enough that Pac-12 After Dark is a joke.

SOFI Stadium in Inglewood is the showcase of football Stadiums. GK needs to do whatever it takes to make it the Prime location for a Pac-12 team to play for regular season OOC games, and by now, let the CFP have the Rose Bowl. If the Pac-12 Champ isn't in the Final Four, it should play in the SOFI Bowl. 

I have no doubt that it is the goal to have the Pac-12 #2 team in Las Vegas, but it can't just happen, I'm guessing there are contracts that need to expire first. 

Honestly, the Holiday Bowl should swallow their pride and move to Sofi. With the Rose Bowl happening close by, I don't think we'll ever see So-fi in the mix to host the CFP, but who knows, times are a changin. 

The whole lack of good stadiums out west was/is such the fault of California. This is why our #2 team goes to San Antonio.  Took the beloved 49ers forever, Raiders couldn't get on there, Chargers couldn't get one there. It's pretty sad how that all went down. If San Diego had a nice new stadium that woulda improved the Holiday Bowl, but nah.  

Edited by Darren Perkins

On 12/21/2021 at 4:19 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Honestly, the Holiday Bowl should swallow their pride and move to Sofi. With the Rose Bowl happening close by, I don't think we'll ever see So-fi in the mix to host the CFP, but who knows

With the inertia of the Pac-12. I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC gets SoFi locked up for their benefit. 

• Thumbs Up 1