Charles Fischer

FishDuck Article: "Will 2021 Reveal a No.1 Receiver for the Ducks?"

Oregon’s program was successful early on in the season thanks to the vast array of new and returning contributors on offense, but this abundance of variety also had points of faltering in recent outings. Not having that “go to” player leaves the offense guessing as much as the defense on what they should run in a make-or-break situation, and potentially could ...

Read the full article here...

Mr. FishDuck

I think what you are talking about requires "chemistry" between the QB and the No.1 Receiver. Also, depending on who the QB is, that No.1 Receiver may be different. 

The Ducks No.1 QB is up in the air right now, so who the No.1 Receiver is, is also unknown. After the Spring game we should know much more about the chemistry of the QB's and Receivers. 

Is it Spring time yet ??

Drama Peek GIF

• Like 1

Thinking about the no.1 receiver takes me back to USC and Marqise Lee, and the connection he had with Matt Barkley. If the Ducks could develop a tandem like that, or what Mac Jones had with DeVonta Smith, the offense reaches a brand new level.

With all the holes the Ducks have been having with it's program over the years it's hard to think of anything other then being consistent and establishing almost anything. 

2019   The mental breakdown and loss to Arizona State
2020   The down slope at QB and subsaquent loss to Oregon State, Cal and of course the bowl. 
2021   The QB hole, the lack of a go-to receiver, starting over with defense. 

But we always have good recruiting classes. 

It was an oddball year, so it's probably wise not to draw too many hard conclusions from limited data; but, a quick look appears to show Oregon's 27.3 pass attempts per game this year was the SECOND LOWEST SINCE 1988. That's 32 years (under 6 HC and numerous OC).

[ 2009 at 26.0 was the only lower ]

With the new guys coming in, WR is a pretty loaded spot. From a recruiting rating/talent standpoint, I can't recall anything close to Oregon possibly going Devon Williams (6 WR), Mycah Pittman (15 WR), and Troy Franklin (3 WR) across. On paper, I'm not sure it has gone a lot better than it's likely backup group of: Dont'e Thornton (6), Crocker (33), Wilhoite (21), Delgato (28), Hutson (41), Brevard (27), possibly Redd (27), Addison (3 ATH), Seven (3 APB), etc., etc.

If this team doesn't find a way to be throwing the ball an average of 32-35 times a game, it's gonna' be a bit of a head scratcher. 

A go-to WR could develop, but 2021 looks like a team with a lot of options, especially when you also add in the RBs and TEs. Dillon Mitchell must have had well over 100 targets in 2018. Would be pretty shocked to see something like that in 2021.

As well, obviously, you need a QB who can ...

Pittman and D Williams have NFL talent.  It would be a shame not to feature them.  TE Webb is also a big time receiving threat and he's been woefully underutilized.  What's the point of recruiting top notch players if you're not going to exploit them?  The offense needs to be much more aggressive in the passing game.  

Edited by ptdduck

I would be interested in what the experts say, but I think we didn't have a qb who could make the throws needed at the college level. A college qb needs to be able to  throw over LB's and into zones. It seemed like Shough didn't have these throws in his repertoire.

A college qb also needs to be able to see these zones and defensive players in game time, game speed. I remember Kellen Clemens and others struggled at this initially so all is not lost.

We do need a qb who can put the ball where it needs to be and can see that in real time. For a go to receiver to make catches he needs a qb who can make those throws. I tend to think Kris Hutson could be the guy, but it is hard to tell when our qb's weren't making the throws to expose defenses and show who the go to receiver might be.

I think this is what was said about Justin Herbert from day one. He made the throws and could read the defenses. So far we haven't seen the next guy who can do that.

6 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

Is it Spring time yet ??

BDF....you are killing-it with the GIFs!  Very funny....love it.

About the article....isn't it funny how we have not had a great receiver since Dillon Mitchell....you know, before Cristobal?

Mr. FishDuck

48 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

About the article....isn't it funny how we have not had a great receiver since Dillon Mitchell....you know, before Cristobal?

Speaking of Dillon Mitchell, "As a junior in 2018, Mitchell set the school record for receiving yards in a season with 1,184 on 75 receptions and 10 touchdowns."  One reason DM had such a great year is because no one else could catch the ball. That was the year of the dropsies. 

Which brings up the whole problem of having one "go-to" guy. Every opponent concentrated on shutting DM down when it became obvious that he was the "guy". It is much better to have 3 guys who are "go-to".  

How many times have we seen USC with two or three great receivers. You can only put your best CB on one of them. Most teams only have one good CB and that guy is usually on the other team's best receiver.

If you only have one "go to guy" things become as predictable as Oregon's running game was in 2019 on fourth and short. Spreading it around and having 3 "go to guys" allows you to have a very unpredictable passing game. Oregon is recruiting well; no need to have only one "guy".

I'm less worried about the receivers than I am about the trigger man.

Receivers Primed to breakout: Williams, Pittman, Hutson, Webb and DJ Johnson.

Williams and Pittman both missed quite a few games this year due but both had some great moments. Hutson is a freshman who was thrown into learning a college system with only the bare minimum supports and practice time to actually learn the system. He had some flashes and saw the field.

Webb didn't see the field this year (at least not to my knowledge) and Johnson overall has some nice hands and runs with some insane power. Webb has a lot more speed than Johnson but Johnson has some decent speed if he gets free and even then he isn't easy to tackle. Granted, I don't see either of these two TEs being a featured receiver.

Super Promising Freshman: Franklin, Thorton, Brevard and McGee

I do expect to see Franklin on the field this upcoming season. Thorton and Brevard may see the field but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up maintaining their redshirts as there are still other receivers on the Oregon roster who may surpass them. However, this freshman crop might just take control and all play significant roles. I am also including McGee on this list because he is really a hybrid type player in the mold of a DAT or Nelson who may be deployed in the the slot or as a runningback depending.

The Vets: Johnny Johnson and Redd

Both have had their moments but neither have really proven to be that breakout star that demands special coverage from an opposing team.

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

Development of receivers has definitely been a concern. Mitchell was a Helfrich recruit.

Mitchell was a good receiver but he was made better because he had a good quarterback throwing him the ball in Justin Herbert.

Great receivers need great quarterbacks. Pittman and Williams have a lot of potential to break out into stars next year but they need someone to throw them the ball and allow them to make plays. Shough had some decent deep balls but from what I saw I don't feel confident that Shough has the arm strength to get receivers the ball over the top of a defense... or on a crossing route across the middle of the field as he missed a LOT of those over the season.

For a receiver to be a star we need a quarterback who can run the offense better and get those receivers the ball. Alabama's Heisman winning receiver wouldn't have won the award if his QB didn't throw him the ball.

58 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

If you only have one "go to guy" things become as predictable as Oregon's running game was in 2019 on fourth and short. Spreading it around and having 3 "go to guys" allows you to have a very unpredictable passing game. Oregon is recruiting well; no need to have only one "guy".

Well said. 

14 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Thinking about the no.1 receiver takes me back to USC and Marqise Lee, and the connection he had with Matt Barkley. If the Ducks could develop a tandem like that, or what Mac Jones had with DeVonta Smith, the offense reaches a brand new level.

Hi 30Duck,

I only ever got the privilege to watch Lee in the pros, but I'm sure it was a sight to see at USC. I really hope the Ducks can emulate Alabama's success in their own, creative way in 2021.

10 hours ago, Jon Sousa said:

Speaking of Dillon Mitchell, "As a junior in 2018, Mitchell set the school record for receiving yards in a season with 1,184 on 75 receptions and 10 touchdowns."  One reason DM had such a great year is because no one else could catch the ball. That was the year of the dropsies. 

Which brings up the whole problem of having one "go-to" guy. Every opponent concentrated on shutting DM down when it became obvious that he was the "guy". It is much better to have 3 guys who are "go-to".  

How many times have we seen USC with two or three great receivers. You can only put your best CB on one of them. Most teams only have one good CB and that guy is usually on the other team's best receiver.

Hi Jon Sousa, 

I felt guilty asking for more than one go-to, but although Christmas has passed already, perhaps another Saint Nick could grant us some of the college football fairy dust and give us a trio of strong contributors in the passing game next season. I'd love to see it as much as anyone.

13 hours ago, AnotherOD said:

It was an oddball year, so it's probably wise not to draw too many hard conclusions from limited data; but, a quick look appears to show Oregon's 27.3 pass attempts per game this year was the SECOND LOWEST SINCE 1988. That's 32 years (under 6 HC and numerous OC).

[ 2009 at 26.0 was the only lower ]

With the new guys coming in, WR is a pretty loaded spot. From a recruiting rating/talent standpoint, I can't recall anything close to Oregon possibly going Devon Williams (6 WR), Mycah Pittman (15 WR), and Troy Franklin (3 WR) across. On paper, I'm not sure it has gone a lot better than it's likely backup group of: Dont'e Thornton (6), Crocker (33), Wilhoite (21), Delgato (28), Hutson (41), Brevard (27), possibly Redd (27), Addison (3 ATH), Seven (3 APB), etc., etc.

If this team doesn't find a way to be throwing the ball an average of 32-35 times a game, it's gonna' be a bit of a head scratcher. 

A go-to WR could develop, but 2021 looks like a team with a lot of options, especially when you also add in the RBs and TEs. Dillon Mitchell must have had well over 100 targets in 2018. Would be pretty shocked to see something like that in 2021.

As well, obviously, you need a QB who can ...

Hi AnotherOD,

Gosh, I really hope these options turn into threats with our new quarterback. You're certainly right in saying "you need a QB who can ...", because that's what I found myself realizing when writing about our receiver situation. Let's pray Ty is the real day, and I don't mean Shough.