deschutesduck

Nebraska Defensive Line Coach Tony Tuioti to Oregon

"Veteran defensive line coach Tony Tuioti will join Dan Lanning's staff in Eugene, a source told DuckTerritory.com. Per the source, the hiring is "a done deal", confirming a FootballScoop.com report on Tuesday evening which stated that he was Lanning's target to become the new defensive line coach."

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess that means Joe Salavea isn't being retained.. 

I don't know much about Tuioti. Going to have to trust Lanning on this guy. My first thought was that Lanning intends on recruiting the Polynesian community hard on the Defensive front. Other than that, I got nothing. 

That was my first thought.

He is putting his team together so he can have the best cooperative group reaching a jointly agreed upon goal. Without his guys a finely tuned team of coaches isn't going to happen. 

My take is Cristobal had a finely tuned recruiting team of coaches. From the penalties, lack of execution, to the erratic play, I don't think he had the team of coaches on the same page come game day.

Lanning is putting together a cadre of coaches who will adhere to his goals and the culture he wants. As a young guy it is critical he has his guys, and no lone wolves amongst the staff. It is an interesting time to see the staff put together, lots of moving parts.

I always loved Big Joe, but this is big business and how the coaching world works. I can imagine Joe will land firmly on the ground in his next position. Thank you Big Joe and all the best!

5yrrm9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Tony T. is 52.  At first glance, I'm not impressed with his previous jobs.  Hopefully, he turns out to be good.

On 12/22/2021 at 6:31 AM, Log Haulin said:

I don't know much about Tuioti. Going to have to trust Lanning on this guy. My first thought was that Lanning intends on recruiting the Polynesian community hard on the Defensive front. Other than that, I got nothing. 

I do know that Nebraska set a dubious record in 2021 by losing 9 games by 1 score! Mario had all the 1 score game good fortune in 2021.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I do know that Nebraska set a dubious record in 2021 by losing 9 games by 1 score! Mario had all the 1 score game good fortune in 2021.

Didn't know that, wow! Feel bad for Husker fan.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

My take is Cristobal had a finely tuned recruiting team of coaches. From the penalties, lack of execution, to the erratic play, I don't think he had the team of coaches on the same page come game day.

Maybe so much time recruiting takes away from coaching prep???

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Husker Online many quoting _ would you not be wanting out on 3-9 team and four years of losing? Scott Frost next year winning season and bowl game expected (or) out. This guy looking for new start and security.

Two names surfacing in Big Red Country next year | Frost fails and Trev Alberts AD has to pull the plug!___ Dan Mullen and Urban Meyer.

As for this coach coming to Eugen many reports he cannot recruit and in addition, Scott Frost was recruiting his son DL. The last three Lanning hires not real pretty and many stops along the way.

On 12/22/2021 at 4:35 PM, Log Haulin said:

Didn't know that, wow! Feel bad for Husker fan.

Yep. They had the Sooners to the wire. Michigan to the wire. Play very well against the Suckeyes. This team was the best team with a garbage record this year. 

As a school administrator I know one of the best levers that I can pull to increase opportunity for all students is to make excellent hires. I don't know why, but I just have a daunting feeling about some of the hires that coach is making here. I hope I'm wrong as I make this statement from a lack of knowledge about these individuals; however, I've just seen some flags about some of these guys on other sites regarding recruiting violations or poor treatment of players or inability to coach them up. I sure hope coach is pulling the right levers here.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even though there could be some past baggage with a new hire, it appears they have taken advantage of a 2nd chance opportunity, and made the best of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

My trust is in Lanning, who has a plan. He has stated he has a little notebook where he has been making notes on how he wants to put this team of coaches together. We are seeing this in action now.

It isn't just a reaction, where someone is caught off guard, and now has to create a vision of what they want. Lanning has been planning this all along.

My bet is he also has a list of potential transfers he wants, and recruits he wants too.

All we can do now is wait and watch. We can wonder too, but until there is smoke, from a festering fire at the Oregon Football Program I will hold back my criticism. I just have optimism about the potential of the future, and each coach and athlete is part of that expectation, until proven otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/23/2021 at 8:29 AM, Haywarduck said:

My trust is in Lanning, who has a plan. He has stated he has a little notebook where he has been making notes on how he wants to put this team of coaches together. We are seeing this in action now.

It isn't just a reaction, where someone is caught off guard, and now has to create a vision of what they want. Lanning has been planning this all along.

My bet is he also has a list of potential transfers he wants, and recruits he wants too.

All we can do now is wait and watch. We can wonder too, but until there is smoke, from a festering fire at the Oregon Football Program I will hold back my criticism. I just have optimism about the potential of the future, and each coach and athlete is part of that expectation, until proven otherwise.

If Lanning had Klemm in his little black book, fully knowing his background, that bothers me more than a panic hire. That the hire was part of Lannings vision all along.  That is a red flag.

• Thumbs Up 1