DrJacksPlaidPants

Moorhead Took a Massive Pay Cut to Leave Oregon.

This article details his surgery, but the details of his new job are at the end. He is taking a $600K/year pay cut to coach the Zips. I wonder if his desire to get back home is the only reason. 

4OP5CDW3FFHITJE5ESZHQCSODA.png
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Moorhead had a ruptured diverticulitis on the morning of the Stanford game earlier this season, which led to emergency...

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad JM has recovered from surgery.

Glad JM gets to go back home. 

Best wishes for he and his family at Akron.

Hope he calls a great game in the Alamo......

Go Ducks.........

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As I said before....Akron is not a coaching destination, it is an escape.

I will have more about the reasons in an upcoming article.

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

I agree, JM wanted out.  I don't know how much control MC has of firing a guy during the season, but I guess JM didn't want to find out.  I feel JM had near complete control of the play calling for the tOSU game and the UCLA game.  Those two games stood out to me as a pretty large separation of how the other games were called.  tOSU still had a high percentage of run plays, but they weren't the typical run plays Oregon ran during the season.  UCLA we went to the air the most all season.

• Like 1

Joe Moorhead looks a lot older than 48, He looks as old maybe older than me and Im 63. There def has been a bunch of stress in his life. I wish him the best but man Akron? wowza.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was watching the Ohio State game on TV, when Mario called a TO and the TV crew zoomed in on Mario and Joe, who was pretty animated, looked as if they were arguing.  It stood out to me and the next week Joe had his physical issue and did not participate in the Stanford game.  Sad really.  But it showed how Mario does not get control of stuff, until it is too late, the end of the Stanford game was coached terribly.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I had to choose between Mario and my wife, who knows nothing about football, to help call a game, I would choose my wife. 

With Joe it was choosing a job where he was going to make less than half what he was making or working with Mario, and he chose the pay cut. 

Miami had the choice of Mario at twice what he was getting paid or continue with a guy with integrity and talent, they chose Mario. 

I feel fortunate, Joe feels fortunate, Miami feels fortunate, all is good, but watch out!

5ysxh3.jpg

• Haha 4

On 12/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Joe Moorhead looks a lot older than 48, He looks as old maybe older than me and Im 63. There def has been a bunch of stress in his life. 

Yeah. Joe Moorhead is definitely older than 48. I believe I read in a previous article that he is in his mid to late 50s. I also agree with Mr. FishDuck that his move to Akron was an escape. I think he would have taken that job regardless of what Mario decided to do regarding Miami. The only reason he would stay is if he could have gotten the HC job at Oregon, and I think he realized that wasn't going to happen.

On 12/22/2021 at 2:49 PM, latracey said:

Yeah. Joe Moorhead is definitely older than 48. I believe I read in a previous article that he is in his mid to late 50s. I also agree with Mr. FishDuck that his move to Akron was an escape. I think he would have taken that job regardless of what Mario decided to do regarding Miami. The only reason he would stay is if he could have gotten the HC job at Oregon, and I think he realized that wasn't going to happen.

He’s actually 48. He graduated from Central Catholic (Dan Marino’s HS) in Pittsburgh in 1991.

• Thanks 1

I think there were a few major factors at play beyond just whatever was going on within the Oregon football program in terms of relationships with the other coaches. 

1. Surgery was serious enough that it seems to have shaken him. Oregon is a pressure cooker with expectations and recruiting and JoMo could see this has something negative to his health going forward. 

2. With health being a concern bring closer to home and family would be a plus. He is also on the older side and has made enough money to retire whenever he wants to. 

3. He wants to be a head coach again but due to his health he doesn't want to have the pressures of a power five program. Akron will be thrilled with him if he just shows progress, this is not a pressure cooker job. If he gets to bowl games and wins them then he is set at Akron.

4. Family... He has a family and I am sure he wants to spend time with them. A power five school really doesn't allow a head coach or an OC to really have that much down time. At Akron he will not be recruiting nationally, he won't have the resources to do so for starters, so he will have more time at home. 

I do think everything is linked with this health and his family, in response to his health. Akron at this point in his career looks more like a job to take to retire from rather than a stepping stone job. 

I wish him the best, he made Oregon a far more watchable team this year than the previous few years and I thank him for that. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Agree 100% with your analysis.

Many people have posted that everyone on the team knew MC was leaving and JM would have 1st shot at the job.

He didn't want it and chose to go home. I wish him the best.

Interesting move.

Akron: Sources tell FootballScoop Tim Tibesar is expected to be named defensive coordinator at Akron. Tibesar served as defensive coordinator at Oregon State the past four seasons. Pete Thamel has reported the same. 

But now distant from MMMS (Mario Micro-Managing Syndrome,) think about how much he is saving in Doctor bills?

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Joe Moorhead looks a lot older than 48, He looks as old maybe older than me and Im 63. There def has been a bunch of stress in his life. I wish him the best but man Akron? wowza.

Yes, same here - and I'm older than you! I noted that in a post last year. I was stunned back then when I discovered his real age. And wearing a white beard in front of 18-22-year-olds makes the visual effect even worse. But it's HIS life, HIS choices.

• Like 1