Charles Fischer

Oh No! Oregon is Losing Nate Costa

I understand...he's gotta move up, but I was hoping it would be in the Oregon organization.

Oregon's Nate Costa Set to Become New QB Coach with Nevada Wolfpack by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

USATSI_4885902.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

Guest willville

The horse is out of the barn. The Ducks are going to be re-invented if they have not already. After what I believe a very successful time at Oregon Lanning will go onto bigger things just like Riley will at USC. 

Ex-Ducks will play a lessor role at Oregon for the time being.  

We had/have two models at play,  a stay at home in Wilcox or a climb the ladder type in Lanning, which is the new version. 

I am good with either so long as it works. 

Another note, at UCLA Adrian Klemm was a better recruiter than coach. Hopefully he learned from Mike Tomlin who is one of the best and is a better coach than at UCLA. 
Klemm can recruit!

“WTD”

I clearly remember Nate as a player. IMO, Nate was the best BACKUP quarterback the Ducks have ever had. He had nerves of steel and performed in the clutch on a moment's notice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good luck to Nate.  Hopefully he makes a name for himself at Nevada.  

He was a good example of working through injuries at Oregon, but I don’t think anything else stands out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nate played the back up role, better than most.  Problem was legs where wasted, if I recall correctly, he had knee issues and just recovered when he took over for DT at the WSU game and tried to run a QB sweep left when his knee blew out just as he was going for the TD.  Brian Bennett finished the game for him I believe.  Brian was a better version of AB but had less patience waiting for plays to develop.  He was IMHO a better QB version of Masoli missing Jeremiah's Truck You size though.

Nate picked up a badly hiked ball, spun it to laces out, kick good! Ducks regular season 12-0.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Nate picked up a badly hiked ball, spun it to laces out, kick good! Ducks regular season 12-0.

Thanks for remembering that!. A small move in itself, but huge in what it meant. 

Nate, at one point, was the heir apparent to the starting position prior to a pre-season knee injury.

He had a history of knee surgery before initially joining the Ducks.

The poor guy was cursed... The injuries eventually forced him to give up his dream of being a police officer.

The football gods finally seem to be smiling on him.

• Like 1

Yep, a shame we never got to see “whole” Nate run the spread, his style of play reminded me a little of Reggie Ogburn- name dropping for us real ol’ coots!

Plenty of talk about “roots” of Oregon’s football program. Another way to look at this “new day” is lots of Oregon’s football program seeds are being cast about. Who knows the future harvest?😀

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, 30Duck said:

Thanks for remembering that!. A small move in itself, but huge in what it meant. 

Oregon doesn’t win the Pac 10 and go to the Rose Bowl in 2009 without Nate’s save against Arizona.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 7:10 PM, toketeeman said:

I clearly remember Nate as a player. IMO, Nate was the best BACKUP quarterback the Ducks have ever had. He had nerves of steel and performed in the clutch on a moment's notice.

I think Graziani and Feeley were pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe both turned out to be starters for a season and in the pros NC never got the chance to shine because of the injury bug.

• Thumbs Up 1

FB is like every other career choice. You have to move around to move up

On 12/23/2021 at 8:23 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe both turned out to be starters for a season and in the pros NC never got the chance to shine because of the injury bug.

Back when we recruited based on potential, and the 'it' factor, not just the star factor. Time to, again, see potential arrive and develop, something sorely lacking, but I have hope again!

My trust was damaged, but I am beginning again, hopefully the talent onboard is too!