Charles Fischer

Trojan Wire: With Adrian Klemm..."Oregon Will Push the Boundaries in Recruiting"

It is interesting to read the Trojan-take on this hire.  They are watching Oregon very closely to see how they will compete...  It would appear that Klemm was fired/suspended at UCLA for recruiting violations and then reinstated?

REPORT: Oregon, Dan Lanning Pursue Former Jim Mora Assistant at UCLA by Matt Zemek of Trojan Wire

UCLA fires offensive line coach, ace recruiter Adrian Klemm – Daily News

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

SC is right in that Lanning needs some X's & O's masters on his staff to accompany the hard pushing recruiters. So far it doesn't look like Lanning will be doing Dillingham's job for him, so that's a positive sign. 

I love how they have SC already penciled in as conference champs even though they haven't done anything yet on the field. I still don't think any of us can quite grasp the potential magnitude of the Lanning hire. While's focusing on putting together a defensive plan to win a national championship he has also been putting together an impressive coaching staff, keeping guys from on the team that were thinking of heading out and communicating with recruits to keep them from signing elsewhere.

In a few weeks, he'll be completely locked in on the Ducks and have a top notch staff assembled as he reals in the fence sitting commits and portal guys while possibly sporting some championship bling. USC should be very worried about what is going on up in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to have some nagging doubts staff being assembled.  It is disappointing Joe Salave'a wasn't retained but that is DL's prerogative.  Toni Tuioti should be fine although it's interesting Big Joe is rated a better recruiter by 247.

The rumors of Tosh Lupoi make me cringe.  While he may not have been sanctioned allegations of shady tactics crop up like dandelions wherever he is employed.  I naively believe Oregon is better than that.

Adrain Klemm has been sanctioned for illegal benefits plus he was named in a lawsuit against UCLA for player abuse.  Not a good look.

Klemm show cause

Klemm lawsuit 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/22/2021 at 9:12 AM, McDuck said:

Adrain Klemm has been sanctioned for illegal benefits plus he was named in a lawsuit against UCLA for player abuse.  Not a good look.

Klemm show cause

Klemm lawsuit 

Horrible hire. Doesn't make me feel any better about the Lanning's judgment, either. 

Guest willville

USC clearly knows what to watch for. If anyone is expert at under the table recruiting it is the toejams!

“WTD”

After reading reports on Klemm makes you wonder about his ethics and regard for the well being of the players. With all of the options out there hard to believe we couldn't come up with a better option.

• Thumbs Up 2

What 'boundaries' are left to be pushed? Via NIL 'deals, you can recruit today by offering pay-for-play?

Seems to me the only boundary left is how much you are willing to pay for a given "student-athlete?"

• Thumbs Up 5

On 12/22/2021 at 11:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

What 'boundaries' are left to be pushed? Via NIL 'deals, you can recruit today by offering pay-for-play?

Seems to me the only boundary left is how much you are willing to pay for a given "student-athlete?"

Those are great questions to ask.  It probably explains why there's less hesitation to reach out to coaches with less than stellar histories with NCAA violations.  I hope this doesn't turn into a "Jail Blazers" era of Oregon football...

Guest KingT

SC folks talking about recruiting violations is quite funny. Show cause stuff is a meaningless slap on the hand in my book. 

It seems that Mr Lanning is building a coaching team that will win in the short term only to be sanctioned to the Stone Age 4 years down the road..

The one thing the Ducks and the toejams have in common this year is both were curb stomped by the Utes. OBDs- twice. 

Guest KingT

For those of us on here who are bringing the moral high ground heat regarding Show Cause, I present to you the last show cause violator at Oregon. Chip Kelly. We needn't get too judgmental here given the wide and generous latitude the NCAA has over recruiting. 

On 12/22/2021 at 1:51 PM, KingT said:

For those of us on here who are bringing the moral high ground heat regarding Show Cause, I present to you the last show cause violator at Oregon. Chip Kelly. We needn't get too judgmental here given the wide and generous latitude the NCAA has over recruiting. 

… and that was great in the short term and the “slap on the wrist” harmed our team until the sanctions were removed.  Next time won’t be a slap on the wrist.

On 12/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, Pocketchange said:

Next time won’t be a slap on the wrist.

Funny how only non-SEC schools care about violations. Didn't one or more of the SEC schools just tell the NCAA that they were not going to abide by the sanctions?

The NCAA only has as much teeth as the schools/league allows. They might as well just have Disney be the governing body of all college sports...E S P N

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, willville said:

USC clearly knows what to watch for. If anyone is expert at under the table recruiting it is the toejams!

“WTD”

My first thought in today's FBS CFB is what "under the table recruiting" violations are there left to violate?

I mean just this side of coaches doing something like directly hiring ladies of the evening for recruits and paying for it with a university check, there almost appears nothing left to violate. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2021 at 1:24 PM, Pocketchange said:

It seems that Mr Lanning is building a coaching team that will win in the short term only to be sanctioned to the Stone Age 4 years 

Under today's FBS CFB, I'm not sure what's left to sanction?

When a team can virtually purchase a recruit, and legally do it in plain view, I'm not sure what's left to sanction. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/22/2021 at 2:51 PM, KingT said:

Exacty. My first thought: "Glass Houses."

Edited by Desert Duck

On 12/22/2021 at 3:24 PM, Pocketchange said:

It seems that Mr Lanning is building a coaching team that will win in the short term only to be sanctioned to the Stone Age 4 years down the road..

What entity will be around to do the sanctioning? P5 and perhaps G5 when it comes to CFB will soon be an entity unto itself.  The issue then will be whether 'someone' can rein in these NIL deals without violating the Supreme Court's decision in Alston? 

On 12/22/2021 at 7:58 AM, OregonRich said:

Horrible hire. Doesn't make me feel any better about the Lanning's judgment, either. 

Agreed…..

Surprising, too. If Lanning knew of his background, why would he even consider him?

This is a head scratcher.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2021 at 8:42 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It would appear that Klemm was fired/suspended at UCLA for recruiting violations and then reinstated?

From what I have heard he was cleared of any wrong doing which is good. Though hard to clean up the reputation damage that it might have caused. 

• Thumbs Up 2

These guys are drinking the Riley kool-aid. "He is the greatest, elite offensive mind, top recruiter". Maybe they should dig a little deeper. Total offense at Okie dropped year to year under Riley.  Recruiting went from 5th in 2018 down to 12th in 2020 and 15th in 2021. Fools gold if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2021 at 2:52 PM, Jon Joseph said:

What entity will be around to do the sanctioning? P5 and perhaps G5 when it comes to CFB will soon be an entity unto itself.  The issue then will be whether 'someone' can rein in these NIL deals without violating the Supreme Court's decision in Alston? 

That’s a good question.  I don’t know but I also don’t want to be the team that the ncaa focuses on when they decide they want to reassert their power

On 12/22/2021 at 3:11 PM, David Marsh said:

From what I have heard he was cleared of any wrong doing which is good. Though hard to clean up the reputation damage that it might have caused. 

It looks like the lawsuit regarding his horrid treatment of player(s) is still alive.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:07 PM, Pocketchange said:

I’m liking Klemm less and less and starting to doubt lanning 

https://footballscoop.com/news/jim-mora-adrian-klemm-accused-mishandling-injuries-multiple-lawsuits

Just wondering--looks as if this is from 2.5 years ago. What was the outcome?

It looks like the lawsuit was dismissed against mora but the negligence case against UCLA is still ongoing.  The more you read the worse it gets.  The whole situation ended up with linemen getting CTE and an attempted suicide  

https://www.theday.com/article/20211201/SPORT01/211209933

As I read I kept thinking, what would have happened to Barner if we treated him like that after his concussion.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, Pocketchange said:

It looks like the lawsuit was dismissed against mora but the negligence case against UCLA is still ongoing.  The more you read the worse it gets.  The whole situation ended up with linemen getting CTE and an attempted suicide  

https://www.theday.com/article/20211201/SPORT01/211209933

That article appears to place most of the blame for abuse on Jim Mora.  Probably natural as Mora was the recent hire at U Conn but it does make me feel slightly better about Adrain Klemm.  Still I wish DL had hired other candidates than Klemm and Lupoi.  For example UCLA just hired former Husky DL and LB coach Ikaika Malloe--no skeletons and a decent coach.

If Klemm has even a hint of abuse he and the Irele Oderinde episode will be coupled together and used to tarnish OBD.

Edited by McDuck

On 12/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, McDuck said:

If Klemm has even a hint of abuse he and the Irele Oderinde episode will be coupled together and used to tarnish OBD.

Sounds pretty damning to me. From the earlier article: 

Screenshot_20211222-190231_Chrome.jpg

I hope Coach Lanning doesn't have blind spot when it comes to players being bullied and abused by coaches. Considering his history with Todd Graham, the latest developments out of Hawaii are more than a little concerning. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/current-former-hawaii-players-allege-mistreatment-and-abuse-under-coach-todd-graham-055929891.html

On 12/22/2021 at 7:18 PM, OregonRich said:

I hope Coach Lanning doesn't have blind spot when it comes to players being bullied and abused by coaches. Considering his history with Todd Graham, the latest developments out of Hawaii are more than a little concerning. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/current-former-hawaii-players-allege-mistreatment-and-abuse-under-coach-todd-graham-055929891.html

I worry more that abuse is a feature of his program not that he ignores it.  He hired Klemm knowing about his actions.

On 12/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, Log Haulin said:

These guys are drinking the Riley kool-aid. "He is the greatest, elite offensive mind, top recruiter". Maybe they should dig a little deeper. Total offense at Okie dropped year to year under Riley.  Recruiting went from 5th in 2018 down to 12th in 2020 and 15th in 2021. Fools gold if you ask me.

Why do you think he left? He’s trying to stay one step ahead of the storm. Willie T did the same thing, but it eventually caught him.

C'mon. The sky isn't falling. I think this is exciting and I think y'all will be happy a year from now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, McDuck said:

That article appears to place most of the blame for abuse on Jim Mora.  Probably natural as Mora was the recent hire at U Conn but it does make me feel slightly better about Adrain Klemm.  Still I wish DL had hired other candidates than Klemm and Lupoi.  For example UCLA just hired former Husky DL and LB coach Ikaika Malloe--no skeletons and a decent coach.

Damn I keep forgetting that this is the new information age that doesn't seem to understand you are innocent until proven guilty not the opposite.

Also there is no redemption.

Because you did something years ago the information age won't allow to grow and change.

We all know we have did some things in the past, we learn from it and never do it again.

I'm a firm believer in 2nd chances and believe we all should as we all would want that for ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

Being die hard Steelers fan ___ Steelers OL is horrible and this guy was being shown the door at season end. The last two (2) years, we can't run (or) keep Big Ben on his feet.

This is a cast off of EPIC proportions and as Steel Curtain die hard.... TY Oregon or whomever takes this guy.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:22 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Damn I keep forgetting that this is the new information age that doesn't seem to understand you are innocent until proven guilty not the opposite.

Also there is no redemption.

Because you did something years ago the information age won't allow to grow and change.

We all know we have did some things in the past, we learn from it and never do it again.

I'm a firm believer in 2nd chances and believe we all should as we all would want that for ourselves.

No there shouldn’t redemption for “designing drills that hit a concussed player in the head while yelling **** him up”.  These actions and the culture he willingly took part in was so far out of bounds that it likely lead to permanent injuries to the players.

The program can’t feign ignorance when this happens the next time because Klemm has done it before.  Innocent until proven guilty is an important concept in criminal court but this isn’t a criminal court.  This is a fan judging the head coach for hiring a guy who designed drills that led to crippling a player.  

Klemm may not deserve jail but he certainly shouldn’t be working in football.

• Thumbs Up 3

I believe in second chances in most instances. I also think that lanning is going to make mistakes along the way. Short leash for Klemm, long leash for lanning kind of thing. With Lanning juggling so much with two programs, I expect some missteps.  Another couple weeks and Oregon will have lanning full attention. Don't think I can expect him to fill his staff quickly to try and salvage recruiting and do it flawlessly. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2021 at 6:23 AM, Log Haulin said:

I believe in second chances in most instances. I also think that lanning is going to make mistakes along the way. Short leash for Klemm, long leash for lanning kind of thing. With Lanning juggling so much with two programs, I expect some missteps.  Another couple weeks and Oregon will have lanning full attention. Don't think I can expect him to fill his staff quickly to try and salvage recruiting and do it flawlessly. 

Agreed LH, let’s give DL a chance to coach.  I like your leash comments.  Let him make mistakes and learn from them.  When he repeats them, it becomes a different story!

On 12/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, KingT said:

LOL at this today when players can have agents. I wonder if any other team at the time was using a 'runner' to help with recruiting? But I don't wonder a whole lot.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, McDuck said:

Mora at UConn is exactly where he belongs.