deschutesduck

New Duck DB Coach - Demetrice Martin

certainly seems like he's familiar with the PAC-12

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning has been busy, grabbed a couple seasoned coaches with time and experience. I see he did great at UCLA leading them to top the Pac in pass defense. Great recruiter. Coming together for sure.

deschutesduck...you are killing-it with posting articles, and I can speak for the community when I say THANK YOU!  

With all I'm doing, I cannot always keep up yet I'd really like everyone to stay informed.  I've had a TON of feedback that people are using this forum for getting their news, so I really appreciate everyone posting articles and helping all the good people that are members in this unique community.

We all just want to dive into 

all the Duck news!

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Looks like he's cleaning house. Just saw 2 advisor and 1 grad assistant leaving with K Wilson LB Coach and now head coach at Nevada

Tasty!!!

He’s a recruiter with west coast ties. Hmmm. Things are looking more interesting. I’m starting to be a “Believer”. Starting to catch the vision. One more quality puzzle piece. All good moves. So far so good. 

On 12/23/2021 at 2:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I've had a TON of feedback that people are using this forum for getting their news, so I really appreciate everyone posting articles and helping all the good people that are members in this unique community.

We all just want to dive into 

all the Duck news!

giphy.gif

I'm one of them...

On 12/22/2021 at 7:44 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Looks like he's cleaning house. Just saw 2 advisor and 1 grad assistant leaving with K Wilson LB Coach and now head coach at Nevada

I wouldn't say that is cleaning house as much as those guys are getting promotions. Kwame who was an Analyst is becoming the SAF/Co-DC at Nevada, and Jalen was another Analyst becoming a CB coach.

Nate Costa was another Analyst who is Nevada's QB coach.

All in all i would portray this as Wilson raiding the oregon analyst cabinet for his coaches rather than a cleaning of house.

I agree with you but DL could have promoted them also. There's not going to be one position coach retained on the new staff.

What I don't know is if any were asked to stay but chose not to or never even asked.

On 12/23/2021 at 8:13 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I agree with you but DL could have promoted them also. There's not going to be one position coach retained on the new staff.

What I don't know is if any were asked to stay but chose not to or never even asked.

Sure Lanning could have promoted them but why would oregon promote an analyst to be position coach. especially an analyst that has never had on field college experience before. These aren't the same level of analyst that Bama gets(washed up coaches that need the school of Saban) these are young guys who need experience and I would be concerned if Lanning was retaining these guys in a manner to promote them.

Many people misunderstand the role of an analyst. They are not allowed to coach the players one bit they are only allowed to give players words of encouragement. Most of their work is relegated to assisting the coordinators in film review and game planning. I'd assume Costa was probably focused on finding the patterns in opposing Defenses to help moorhead scheme for the game.

All in all I think it is a big risk for a power 5 top 20 team to promote an analyst, who has never coached in college, to an on the field role. So while I don't know if Lanning offered them their jobs back I would expect them to take promotions at Nevada. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/23/2021 at 9:29 AM, UtahDuck said:

All in all I think it is a big risk for a power 5 top 20 team to promote an analyst, who has never coached in college, to an on the field role. So while I don't know if Lanning offered them their jobs back I would expect them to take promotions at Nevada. 

+1 An FCS or mid-major FBS team like Nevada is the perfect place for an analyst to prove themselves on the field.

Let's be honest with the Old Staff, everyone and their sister was a Co- Asst- or something, to many bosses and not enough employees!  Mario to get some of the people he got had to find creative ways to get them more pay or it sure seemed that way.  Maybe that system did not work, too many hands in the cookie jar.  Could explain why the teams Mario coached seemed so inconsistent.  No Direction, No Leader, it really is kind of crazy how the talent and coaches could not mesh.  No road graders but some talented athletes with ambition and drive.  If Miami, looks like Oregon of the last four years, you will know what the problem was, I bet.