FishDuck Article

Why Bo Nix Should NOT Start at Oregon

The transfer portal has given Oregon another quarterback who has had struggles in the past and is pushing for a chance at playing in the NFL. Bo Nix I feel is more complete as a quarterback than Anthony Brown is (or was at this respective stage of his transfer), there’s just one major issue I have with Our Beloved Ducks’ ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I can understand going for the grad transfer if the QB room is bare...there's only one great recruit and he's not ready...injuries have some guys in doubt...etc.  But we have two guys who were high-level four-star recruits and a third who was borderline four/five stars (depending on the recruiting service).  It's hard to believe all three are disappointments.

High-level programs like Bama, Oklahoma, and Clemson have star QBs starting and 2 - 3 more waiting in the wings to take over when the star goes to the NFL - lather, rinse, repeat.  Sometimes that doesn't work out so well, like this season with DJ UganowayIcanspellthis who wasn't able to step up and be the next star.  Sometimes the next guy up is SO good that the star even gets pushed out, like Jalen Hurts at Bama.  But it's hard to believe that all three backups for the Dux were so bad that Brown was the best option every single game, all game, and that Brown II is the best option for next year.

If we have Nix starting, that tells me one of two things:  1) there was so little QB development that three different high-level recruits all are not ready to go, which speaks volumes about the former staff, or 2) Lanning is afraid to turn things over to a lesser-known/less-experienced guy, which would not be a good start to the new regime.

• Thumbs Up 3

Alex thank you for taking the time to write the article. Whats been going on in the QB room at Oregon is truly one of 2 - 64,000 dollar questions.

While there can be outside or inside situations that influence actual playing time during a game, it really boils down to a few things..... 

In the frenzy of recruiting have Oregon coaches been good at judging the potential talent of the QB position?

Thru the numerous practices from spring ball thru the usual bowl game have the coaches developed that potential talent in QB room?

I have no answers.........

Since Marcus arrived on campus to this very moment theirs been very little back up QB success. A very talented, successful starter left the program because Marcus arrived. There wasn't even a chance for that QB competition to take place.

After Marcus goes to the NFL Incomes Vernon, he gets hurt and we all know the painful outcome when his back up took the field in the bowl game.

Incomes Dakota and as an experienced transfer he was in over his head. So the coach throws Herbert into the mix. Justin struggles a little with his chance but he grows with his in game experiences. You can see and feel his potential. 

Justin succeeds in spite of the coaches around him. Next season gets off to a good start then Justin gets hurt. Braxton plays his heart out but he was not ready. He was not prepared.  The coaches had done little to help Braxton get ready.

Fortunately,  for MC and Oregon, Justin stays another season. In spite of coaching, Justin leads the team to a 12-2 season. I don't remember seeing a great deal of Tyler during that season, do you?

But the coaches did......so they brought in Anthony. Another transfer.

In fairness Tyler got his chance. He showed undeveloped promise and then the wheels came off. Whatever happened, Tyler lost his confidence and transferred out. 

Another transfer took the reigns. There were games that AB really struggled in and the back up should have been brought in. Not our coaching staff. No risk taking here. Or perhaps the back ups were not prepared by the coaches?

Riley didn't hesitate to bench Rattler and take a chance on a freshmen. Do the coaches at Oklahoma prepare their back ups better than Oregon does? Don't know because coaches didn't take a chance.

So here we go again, another transfer. Granted Bo and our new OC have a relationship. Bo should have an understanding of the schemes.

But I hope that there is competition in the QB room right up to the Georgia game. The new coaching staff should develop at least 3 players as starters. Develop that unrealized potential.......

Then one or 2 of our QB's will enter the portal. All that unrealized potential will play somewhere else.

Such is the state of the QB rooms in college football. But one thing is certain, if Coach Lanning and his staff don't develop the QB's,

we will be looking to the portal again........

• Thumbs Up 1

With all due respect, I Could not disagree more. 🤷‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

AB wasn’t great nor was he awful. He limited most big mistakes, but proved he couldn’t win games with his passing. But he also BEAT out Tyler Shough and the others. 

I can't get behind 4-8 just to HOPE a backup gets some good enough experience for the next season? 

That might empty the stands, turn off TVs and does not do anything positive for the program. 

If you can’t force your way on the field you aren’t good enough yet. Compete and get better. MERITOCRACY. 

We’ve had bad offensive coaching since Mario cri$tob$ took over.

He quite simply cannot coach offense at all.

Offensively, Scoring wise, The Ducks got worse under his failed coaching and incredibly poor game management and lack of situational awareness. 

Anointing Nix is no more the answer than forcibly putting a QB out there who isn’t ready.

The Ducks still won 10 games with a bad offensive head coach who meddled with and stifled the offense.

The offense got exposed regularly. ABs maturity and mostly good decision making won a lot of games.  

Competition is the only way forward. If Nix wins the job let it be based on competition. 

I too like the idea of Ty another young QB having the job and want to see them play. BUT, they have to WIN THE JOB. We’ve all seen what can happen to a QB put out there too soon. 

4-8?? No thank you. I’ll take 10-3 with a chance at 11. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Quarterback is a position where a successful team needs quality depth. I can remember years where Oregon ended up starting the third string quarterback because of injury. One year Brooks had to start a wide receiver at the position because    all the quarterbacks were hurt. That was ugly. Since we don’t have any freshmen coming in adding a player like Nix through the transfer portal only makes sense. Competition brings out the best in everyone. The cream will rise to the top.,

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2021 at 2:57 PM, jimmer said:

The cream will rise to the top.

...if allowed to, and if the cream is developed to the point it CAN rise.  My concern with not playing any of the younger QBs this year was that Brown had a clear ceiling, both through his talent/performance and because of the fact he was a one-year rental.  Is it better to play a decent-but-not-great QB, or a QB who is inexperienced and right now might not be as good, but given a few games has strong potential to be better, and will be around at least another year or two?

When the Dux beat tOSU, I was all for staying with Brown because I felt his experience and lack of big mistakes could help the team reach the playoffs.  As the year went on, we lost to Stanford and almost lost to other teams, it became clear to me that this team was not CFP-bound.  At that point, I wanted to see what Ashford, Thompson, and/or Butterfield had, at least for some short stretches of games.  

To me, high level programs should be doing one of two things each year:  either 1) seriously competing for the national title, or 2) preparing to compete next year for the national title.  By not playing any of the younger guys even for short stretches, we failed to accomplish either one.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pure speculation as to who starts at QB next year. Odds are Nix starts but I'm in the camp that thinks Lanning's going all CYA

here and giving himself a safety net in Nix. Nix gives him the best chance for immediate success. It's hard to say whether the

young QB's in waiting are going to be up to speed with Dillys offensive plan. Nix gives the Ducks a head start on the season next

year and if TY and Co are all that close then it's entirely possible that one of them passes Nix during the season. Yeah we said

the same thing this year but the young QB's have another year of practice to help.

The big question is who stays if Nix starts?

Edited by GODUCKS15

How is a transfer quarterback any different from any other position?  Devon Williams, DJ Johnson and Bennet Williams were all transfers who won games for us.  Should they have been told no, don't come, we need to let others play that have been here longer?  What about recruiting a JC athlete?  Don't recruit Akili Smith or Jeremiah Masoli because they play quarterback?

Just because an athlete has a lot of stars next to their name doesn't mean much.  Below are 247's top 5 dual threat and pro style QB's in 2017.  How many are stars today?

Dual  Tua Tagovailoa, Tate Martell, Keytaon Thompson, Sam Ehlinger, Hendon Hooker

Pro   Davis Mills, Jake Fromm, Hunter Johnson, Myles Brennan, Jack Sears     

On 12/23/2021 at 3:53 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

DJ UganowayIcanspellthis

RLMAO 

I had to look at his name twelve times to spell it in a comment I posted yesterday.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Always start/play your best players available on game day. 

I can't imagine a coach doing anything differently unless the game is meaningless or as a result of a blowout score or the threat of injury warrants not playing the best.

Players need to earn their right to play. 

Another question could be asked. What kind of message would be sent if the best player isn't allowed to play?

On 12/23/2021 at 4:59 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Alex thank you for taking the time to write the article. Whats been going on in the QB room at Oregon is truly one of 2 - 64,000 dollar questions.

While there can be outside or inside situations that influence actual playing time during a game, it really boils down to a few things..... 

In the frenzy of recruiting have Oregon coaches been good at judging the potential talent of the QB position?

Thru the numerous practices from spring ball thru the usual bowl game have the coaches developed that potential talent in QB room?

I have no answers.........

Since Marcus arrived on campus to this very moment theirs been very little back up QB success. A very talented, successful starter left the program because Marcus arrived. There wasn't even a chance for that QB competition to take place.

After Marcus goes to the NFL Incomes Vernon, he gets hurt and we all know the painful outcome when his back up took the field in the bowl game.

Incomes Dakota and as an experienced transfer he was in over his head. So the coach throws Herbert into the mix. Justin struggles a little with his chance but he grows with his in game experiences. You can see and feel his potential. 

Justin succeeds in spite of the coaches around him. Next season gets off to a good start then Justin gets hurt. Braxton plays his heart out but he was not ready. He was not prepared.  The coaches had done little to help Braxton get ready.

Fortunately,  for MC and Oregon, Justin stays another season. In spite of coaching, Justin leads the team to a 12-2 season. I don't remember seeing a great deal of Tyler during that season, do you?

But the coaches did......so they brought in Anthony. Another transfer.

In fairness Tyler got his chance. He showed undeveloped promise and then the wheels came off. Whatever happened, Tyler lost his confidence and transferred out. 

Another transfer took the reigns. There were games that AB really struggled in and the back up should have been brought in. Not our coaching staff. No risk taking here. Or perhaps the back ups were not prepared by the coaches?

Riley didn't hesitate to bench Rattler and take a chance on a freshmen. Do the coaches at Oklahoma prepare their back ups better than Oregon does? Don't know because coaches didn't take a chance.

So here we go again, another transfer. Granted Bo and our new OC have a relationship. Bo should have an understanding of the schemes.

But I hope that there is competition in the QB room right up to the Georgia game. The new coaching staff should develop at least 3 players as starters. Develop that unrealized potential.......

Then one or 2 of our QB's will enter the portal. All that unrealized potential will play somewhere else.

Such is the state of the QB rooms in college football. But one thing is certain, if Coach Lanning and his staff don't develop the QB's,

we will be looking to the portal again........

Good read, instead of taking the quick and easy solution of the retreads, lets build from the ground up as you suggest with some coaches who can recognize talent and develop it.  California has 3,892 high schools and Texas is second with 3,240...lot of kids out there.

• Thanks 1

Like many others I was frustrated by Chri$tobal's boring and conservative offense.  I advocated for playing smarter and physical.

Chri$to-ball kept a lid on offense.  His offense, played inside a phone booth, resulted in close games.  Most not decided until time ran out.

The tOSU game was the only game Moorhead was given control of our offense.  The rest of the season the clamps were tightened and we didn't see that kind of offense again.

Because of this our young QB's were not allowed to gain experience.  Even with a lead our backup QB was only given one chance to enter a game.

I'm looking forward to a new Head Coach and a new Offensive Coordinator.  This promises to provide more offense and more scoring!  With Oregon talent and the level of play in the Pac-12 opportunity for early leads should occur.

I see whoever wins the starting role to give way after providing a lead so the backup can gain experience.  If the starter struggles on an off day, the backup has a chance to shine.  Coach Dillingham, given more freedom than Moorhead had, will give us a more entertaining offense.

With a stronger defense and better coaching player development will happen.  Opportunities are coming!

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon Joseph’s article describing the on coming transition of college football as most of us knew it to the Super League model, is at the core of this debate.

Pre 1971 ( I may be off by a year or two ) freshmen could not compete on varsity teams. The expectation was playing time was earned in practice. Earning a starting role as a sophomore indicated exceptional ability.  Being a three year starter was a big deal. Blue Chip was the only rating given to highly thought of recruits.

Now 4 and 5 star recruits expect some playing time as freshmen and as of late enter the transfer portal if not starting by their sophomore year.

I’m actually surprised none of our young QBs have not transferred already.

As to developing talent by limited playing time. It’s great during a blowout, but when did the Ducks blow anybody out recently?

So I’m with the Van Down by the River; start Nix or whoever looks to be capable of producing wins. 4 and 8 may be a magical season in Corvallis. It won’t get OBD to the playoffs and certainly won’t get Oregon an invite to the Super League which appears to be the end game.

• Thumbs Up 1

The QB at Oklahoma was the top player in the country coming in. It's rare for that to happen. And he was benched for the guy he replaced later in the season. That's not a good idea. Win it on the field of play. Meritocracy is the best policy.

What Cristobal built was an amazing group of players and potential, much like a colt waiting to run. What he produced was an amazing group of players with little production, or really development, much like a castrated, throttled stallion.

The production is exactly what Mario wanted and what Miami will see. Mario wants to hit a team in the mouth and see how they react. What we saw was our team didn't always want to hit the other team and when it did the other team wasn't intimidated. Especially with our offensive output, and with the injuries to our defense. 

We also saw qb play where he too often led the team in running plays. Mario's latest qb recruit at Miami is a perfect match for AB. Marios loves the predictable power game. He really wants all the players to be more like an offensive lineman, or basic packhorse.

Fortunately we have stallions in the barn waiting to run, one even took off because it couldn't wait any longer. We have qb's who can pass and run when needed. We have receivers who can catch and run. We also have a RB who might turn out to be one of our best. Their skills weren't a priority to use under Cristobal, he just wanted them to become what he wanted, not what they were able to become.

Mario didn't just sell us on a high scoring offense and then turn to a power game. He brought in high skill guys and then had them sit, and under use their skills. This new coaching staff is extremely fortunate to arrive with the cupboard full, the barn full of stallions just waiting to be used, find out their potential. 

I think the transfer is great, more competition, and a player who can nurture the talent to a new system. One problem with new coaches is transferring knowledge to the players. When you have a player who already knows what to do, what is expected, getting others onboard is easier. Nix is the perfect conduit to ready our talent to the new offense. 

The problem in the past has been too little talent at RB, WR and a lack of creativity to use the talent we had. We have the talent at RB, WR and at QB and I hope we now have a staff which knows and wants to use it properly.

While I think the transfer portal is going to be a very useful tool going forward the most critical change will be the scheme all the players at Oregon will see used. We no longer will have a predictable, power game. We are very fortunate we no longer have a coach who wants to castrate, and then stifle our stallions. 

It is time to train the stallions to run to their potential, each different potential. Let Mario lead his team of geldings, while Oregon, again, turns their colts into workhorses they were all meant to be without altering their abilities, for fear of where that potential may lead.

I really do think Mario was full of fear, and nervousness when faced with what an unleashed innovative squad could do.  Lanning is full of boldness and has the audacity to lead this program to where it was headed and will again! We have the steeds just waiting to be lead, the time is now, Go Ducks!

5yw86y.gif

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Great article, Alex, reading it, and all the responses, had me thinking all sorts of ways. I finally find myself applying Occam's Razor, and come the opening game against Georgia, start the best quarterback. It might be Nix.

It does seem strange that none of the other QB's could grasp the offense last season, except that they wanted to go beyond Cristobal's constrictions, and it suited Brown better, so he stayed. Nix will have a familiarity with schemes at the start. But I'm hoping that all the QB's will get time and be evaluated before the starter is decided. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a great site for those of us that follow the Ducks as a hobby or maybe closer to an obsession...lol. It is fun to discuss and analyze the different scenarios and make projections as to how our favorite team is going to develop. Plus, it is a great distraction when I am on a boring virtual meeting and supposed to be paying attention during a 60 minute meeting that could be covered in 10 minutes.

However, on this one it is pretty basic. Hopefully we have hired a good coach that believes in fairness and giving each kid an equal opportunity. We don't need any of the "favorites" getting the job out of friendship or loyalty. This isn't the Little League All Star Team where the son of the coach is automatically the starting shortstop. Whoever gives the team the best chance of winning should be on the field. If the player that initially gets the nod doesn't perform then option two is the next move.

I have a feeling we are going to see a reenergized Duck team on the field next year and good things are ahead.

Happy Holidays to my fellow Duck fans and alum.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, LADuck said:

This is a great site for those of us that follow the Ducks as a hobby or maybe closer to an obsession...lol. It is fun to discuss and analyze the different scenarios and make projections as to how our favorite team is going to develop

Thanks for this LADuck. I don't need to tell you or anybody else here how a topic like this one would go at other sites, where listening to a droning presentation would be a pleasant alternative. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In my humble but non fact checked opinion was I don't think the former staff was developing the talent and using them correctly. I think the new staff, with a different outlook, won't just take a transfer player and anoint them as starter. I hope they look at the talent, build game plans and plays around that talent and utilize it and then coach, really coach them and develop that talent. 

The reality is, no opponent feared the Oregon offense. After Stonybrook hanging around, it really showed Oregon was not to be feared on offense, and if you just modified defense just a bit, they could not beat you over the top, or mid routes. Yeah one or two would get through but by then the defense was tired and the opposing teams could march up and down without a problem. 

We will see what happens in the future. I don't think Nix wins the job, I am not sure the type of offense of Dillingham runs, but I would not mind seeing Ashford or Thompson win that job. I would not be surprised if we don't see Butterfield transfer after the Spring game. I could also see Thompson transferring if he does not get the job and if Nix does win it, I think there will be a lot of grumbling by fans and players. Oregon has talent, it needs to be developed. I hope Lanning and his staff focuses on developing the young players, not just hand over keys to transfers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

IF Nix is the best QB he def should start. 

• Thumbs Up 2

If he is the best QB in the QB room he definitely should start. If he wants to play 2 years he has 2 years of eligibility left. Nix played his best ball at Auburn this season and also played well his frosh season under Coach Dillingham, Oregon's new OC. 

How many QBs in the QB room have a win over Alabama? 1. Bo Nix. Brown started against and defeated 1 top 25 team. Nix has numerous wins over top 25 teams, including a win over the Ducks. And comparing Nix stats-wise to Brown? Brown faced a much lower level of competition in the ACC than Nix saw in the SEC.

I believe QB recruiting from the portal will be a norm and not an exception. The Pac-12 has QBs coming in off the portal from Indiana, Purdue, UCF and Auburn. Spencer Rattler will definitely start for South Carolina next season. Slovis will be the starting QB at Pitt. The portal has put an entirely different spin on QB recruiting. So much so that to bring in a guy like Nix and not start him could ding future QB recruiting from the portal.

The guys in the QB room in 2021 could not beat out Brown. Perhaps this is due to the HC being totally risk adverse but I don't know why any HC and OC would not start the best player. Hot shot QBs come out of HS all the time and do nothing in CFB. Perhaps the guys in the room in 2021 were overrated?

But only 1 thing matters. The best guy has to start at every position on the field.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2021 at 12:24 PM, Arctuniol said:

In my humble but non fact checked opinion was I don't think the former staff was developing the talent and using them correctly. I think the new staff, with a different outlook, won't just take a transfer player and anoint them as starter. I hope they look at the talent, build game plans and plays around that talent and utilize it and then coach, really coach them and develop that talent. 

The reality is, no opponent feared the Oregon offense. After Stonybrook hanging around, it really showed Oregon was not to be feared on offense, and if you just modified defense just a bit, they could not beat you over the top, or mid routes. Yeah one or two would get through but by then the defense was tired and the opposing teams could march up and down without a problem. 

We will see what happens in the future. I don't think Nix wins the job, I am not sure the type of offense of Dillingham runs, but I would not mind seeing Ashford or Thompson win that job. I would not be surprised if we don't see Butterfield transfer after the Spring game. I could also see Thompson transferring if he does not get the job and if Nix does win it, I think there will be a lot of grumbling by fans and players. Oregon has talent, it needs to be developed. I hope Lanning and his staff focuses on developing the young players, not just hand over keys to transfers. 

Nix ran Dillingham's O at Auburn. Bo knows Dillingham's O.

Beating Bama is pretty impressive. He should run all over the likes of the Fuskies, Beavis, Goldylox Bears, Buffaloed, Wild Kittens, etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Nix is the likely starter in the opener against Georgia. In fact, I think that was the main reason the Ducks showed interest.

He’s played Georgia before, and won’t be intimidated. Can’t say the same about Thompson, Butterfield or Ashford, none of whom played enough this year to develop the confidence needed to compete against Georgia…….on the road, no less.

But Nix has his limitations and I wouldn’t be surprised that if he begins to struggle Lanning will look to the young guys -- those who are still around and haven’t entered the portal — to step up.

Don't know of any coaches at this level that play favorites.

Now their criteria for the who's the best is another matter.

That's why they get paid the big bucks. It's their necks that are on the line not us fans.

We have to put things in perspective.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2021 at 1:16 PM, DUCKED said:

I think Nix is the likely starter in the opener against Georgia. In fact, I think that was the main reason the Ducks showed interest.

He’s played Georgia before, and won’t be intimidated. Can’t say the same about Thompson, Butterfield or Ashford, none of whom played enough this year to develop the confidence needed to compete against Georgia…….on the road, no less.

But Nix has his limitations and I wouldn’t be surprised that if he begins to struggle Lanning will look to the young guys -- those who are still around and haven’t entered the portal — to step up.

Great comment. He has started vs UGA thrice; no wins. But he has seen the kind of athletes UGA puts on the field and has played in hostile arenas in SEC territory. Oregon playing UGA in the ATL is equivalent to Georgia playing Oregon in Portland. Oregon, not Maine.

• Thumbs Up 1

The idea that two four star and one five star QB's sat behind AB because they couldn't beat him out isn't necessarily true....I recall a former NFL coach saying publicly that Justin Herbert was "a backup for a reason"....of course once Herbert hit the field for 15 minutes the only person on the planet thinking Herbert was a backup was the coach.

Here's my not so theoretical conspiracy theory: Mario knew AB wasn't a thrower and wanted it that way....if your QB can't throw there's only one option....watch TT or Jay's high school tapes - both throw the ball all over the field. Granted this ain't high school but both showed promise and having either on the field and not throwing would make no sense and maybe raise some eyebrows.

I liked MC and think he left the program better than he found it but Nix strikes me as AB part two....if high school QB's don't see QB development they'll go somewhere else.... Mycah Pittman said it - these guys goal is the NFL.....that requires development.....sitting behind portal transfers isn't developing. And by the way, why is Nix transferring? I always suspected AB left because he couldn't win the job at BC.....same for Nix?

Starting qb wont be determined to fall camp. If the others are as good as advertised they have a good chance of winning the starting job. 

Bennett left because he was beat out by Marcus and Bennett was the vet.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:37 PM, RkyMtnGuy said:

- these guys goal is the NFL.....that requires development...

Justin Herbert would be the exception. I couldn't resist the Herbert reference. I agree with your thinking regarding Cristobal & AB, I've said before I felt like Cristobal believed that AB fit his idea of a QB better than the freshmen did, that's why he stuck with him.

I don't think though that AB & Nix compare. AB was a scrapper at BCU and at Oregon. Nix played in the SEC and to have comparable stats against the defenses he faced and the environment of the SEC vs, what AB had at BC and Oregon, puts Nix ahead for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Don't know of any coaches at this level that play favorites.

Now their criteria for the who's the best is another matter.

Bingo, some coaches don't start the GOAT because they can't see the greatness. Other's don't recruit the best talent, because they rely on recruiting services, false pretenses or just don't want that dynamic.

It will be interesting to see what Lanning is able to see, develop and then who he picks. The previous leader had a different view than what was communicated, and then put on the field. I could definitely see an extremely talented qb languishing behind Cristobal's criteria. I hope the men on the bench continue to have patience, the future looks bright!

• Thanks 1

I say acquire talent, then let the chips fall where they may... no need to overthink it. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let us not forget the coaching aspect and player development. Mario was neither an offensive nor defensive “mind” in the sense that he has zero proven offensive ability beyond his playing days at Miami. 

The Ducks had a head coach that only called reactionary timeouts. Called timeouts on first downs coming out of a half and didn’t have the sense to run out the click in the first half at Utah. 

As a result the talent he brought in stagnated. As others have pointed out the point totals dropped during his tenure. He put snow chains on the Ferrari and tried to pull a trailer of bull$ through the mud. 

Bo nix presents a different type of QB. The stat comparisons belie the limited offensive schemes and Oregon’s unwillingness and inability to throw down field.

Bo nix looks far stronger as a downfield passer and the offense should open up considerably. 

Considering the talent at TE, Oregon should have been throwing over the middle often. More crossing routes, more slants to slot receivers. AB had a difficult time hitting guys in stride. Nix looks better at that. 

I think it’s hard to evaluate Bo nix and compare him to the present QBs on the roster until we see them all compete in an actual offense that isn’t predictable limited low scoring and boring. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The quarterback room will certainly be effected with some transfers most likely coming . We need to remember this level of talent comes with stiff egos that say, “I’m good enough, this job is mine!” The other urgent point is unfortunate but true: Sometimes you can keep a competitive advantage by keeping “the other guys” from signing a talented player by grabbing what you can, knowing at the least, you have improved depth at the same time. Just sayin’.