Jon Joseph

SEC, SEC, SEC!

The MIZZOU Show Me Tigers should never go balling against our nation's service academies. Last time out, lost to Navy. This time out lost to Army.

And why wouldn't the Gators want to match up vs UCF? A decisive loss by the Gator's tonight is why.

Hats off to Bob Bowlsby for taking the poached B12 and adding Cincinnati, Houston, BYU and UCF. THIS when the Pac-12 was asleep on the expansion switch. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/24/2021 at 2:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Hats off to Bob Bowlsby for taking the poached B12 and adding Cincinnati, Houston, BYU and UCF. THIS when the Pac-12 was asleep on the expansion switch. 

Expanding the PAC 12 would really do nothing for the conference. They already own every major television market west of the Rockies. That’s why they wanted Utah and CU.

I, like many others, continue to be frustrated by what seems a lack of outside the box thinking by the PAC 12.

it seems one way to delay, maybe even defeat, the march towards an SEC dominated Super League may be to beat it to the punch.

Nationally it may be impossible to wrestle the tv payouts and viewership from the southeast markets.

However, the Midwest and Pacific regions need not be forced to concede their autonomy and allow themselves to be picked apart - the USC, Oregon, Washington’s and other national brands can look to

fellow western programs.

Pretending the the academic standards of the Pac12 would somehow suffer if the San Diego States of our region joined the conference is elitism run amuck.

The Mountain West has been eating the  Pac 12’s lunch. Independent BYU was plucked away like candy from a baby ( 5 and 0 vs the Pac12).

Our new conference commissioner’s honeymoon is over. It’s time to step up and try something different, before the Pac12 finds itself relegated to the status of a lesser conference, a title it has arrogantly sought to bestow on neighboring conferences in the past.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:29 AM, Logger29 said:

Pretending the the academic standards of the Pac12 would somehow suffer if the San Diego States of our region joined the conference is elitism run amuck.

Well, clearly SDSU cannot POSSIBLY be in the same paragon, the Creme De La Creme of academic aristocracy that IS University of Washington....oh wait....where is Jimmy Lake now??

😁

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Haha 1

10 years ago, the expansion machine was humming. It was exciting to see which teams joined which conferences. But now what you have is the SEC and everyone else.

The BIG12 just about disappeared a few months ago. But does anyone think that the BIG10,11,12,13 is going anywhere? Do they really need to expand? The ACC? Really?

That leaves the PAC. More schools won't solve any problems but it might create some. In fact I'm going to argue that SEC expansion is going to water down the SEC. Sure they will get their fair share, and then some, of the best players.

However, OU and UT will always get theirs. But, now you play that much more top players inside your conference and expose yourself to more losses. I'm actually in favor of it.

The SEC has been playing patsy schedules for decades. It's allowed an abnormal amount of wins to be racked up thereby cresting magnetism to that conference. 8 conference games instead of 9 doesn't hurt eh? Nobody is scared of Ole' miss, Vanderbilt, Miss. ST, and the likes.

That's a 7 game win per year built in. Do we really wonder why the SEC puts nearly every school in a bowl game each year? Now I'm hoping they cannibalize each other enough to allow other conferences into the playoffs. It will help make the Bowl season relevant again. 

The PAC, IMO, needs to stay the way they are. They own the Pacific and Mountain time Zone. 

To be the consummate devil’s advocate let me ask, is it truly better to “rule in hell than serve in heaven.”

Overly dramatic but not far from the truth in regard to the to PAC 12’s current state.

Standing pat and hoping for the best will be the downfall of the conference.

Candidly, I personally would favor addition by subtraction. WSU, Cal, OSU, Colorado, and AZ all struggle to fund their football programs.

Those schools fan bases, excepting WSU and OSU, are fickle and their school’s administration’s reluctant to pony up.

They need to step up or step aside and allow new members with loftier goals and deeper pockets to take their place.

I grew up with the PAC 8. I would miss the old rivals and perhaps out of conference scheduling would keep some traditional games going.

So, I agree expansion itself is not the answer. But an upgrade in membership could be what prevents the current PAC 12 powers from bolting the conference all together.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

THIS when the Pac-12 was asleep on the expansion switch. 

I can agree asleep, but just seems to be on the snooze button. Can't wait to see George get up and do something to help the Pac-12. 

I get it he wants to get a feel for the conferences needs, but it is time to make something happen. 

The low hanging fruit is the 8 game conference schedule, get it done George! The 8 game switch is just waiting to be flipped. 

5yzr6k.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I could not agree with you more Hayward.

Not to sound like you know who but …….

DO SOMETHING!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/24/2021 at 8:14 AM, Logger29 said:

DO SOMETHING!

I know, I hated using those terms, but they seemed to be warranted with what we are seeing with George. I suppose, 'Just Do It,' is more warranted on this move.

On 12/24/2021 at 8:14 AM, Logger29 said:

DO SOMETHING!

But... ONLY if you feel like it!

On 12/24/2021 at 7:52 AM, Haywarduck said:

I can agree asleep, but just seems to be on the snooze button. Can't wait to see George get up and do something to help the Pac-12. 

I get it he wants to get a feel for the conferences needs, but it is time to make something happen. 

The low hanging fruit is the 8 game conference schedule, get it done George! The 8 game switch is just waiting to be flipped. 

5yzr6k.jpg

But only if the old rivalries were contracted and maintained ad infinitum. For example, Oregon would always play Oregon State and the Fuskies. UCLA would always play U$C, etc.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:22 AM, 1Funduck said:

10 years ago, the expansion machine was humming. It was exciting to see which teams joined which conferences. But now what you have is the SEC and everyone else.

The BIG12 just about disappeared a few months ago. But does anyone think that the BIG10,11,12,13 is going anywhere? Do they really need to expand? The ACC? Really?

That leaves the PAC. More schools won't solve any problems but it might create some. In fact I'm going to argue that SEC expansion is going to water down the SEC. Sure they will get their fair share, and then some, of the best players.

However, OU and UT will always get theirs. But, now you play that much more top players inside your conference and expose yourself to more losses. I'm actually in favor of it.

The SEC has been playing patsy schedules for decades. It's allowed an abnormal amount of wins to be racked up thereby cresting magnetism to that conference. 8 conference games instead of 9 doesn't hurt eh? Nobody is scared of Ole' miss, Vanderbilt, Miss. ST, and the likes.

That's a 7 game win per year built in. Do we really wonder why the SEC puts nearly every school in a bowl game each year? Now I'm hoping they cannibalize each other enough to allow other conferences into the playoffs. It will help make the Bowl season relevant again. 

The PAC, IMO, needs to stay the way they are. They own the Pacific and Mountain time Zone. 

Does not = owning Boardwalk and Park Place.