Jon Joseph

It's Boxing Day, So why not Grant us a Wish Come 2026 and let the SEC go and Restore the Rose Bowl to Where it Belongs?

OK the Pac-12 decided to stand pat. Meanwhile, Bob Bowlsby anted  BYU, Cincy, Houston + UCF in, and made the B12 a P5 conference again. 

Expand The Alliance to include the "new" B 12. and we would have one heck of a playoff. Culminating with the champ game on 1/1 in the Rose Bowl.

A Playoff that allows for the number of involved participants similar to every championship run by the NCAA. 16 of 53 teams would play in meaningful post-season games. The SEC could play with itself.

The field., according to the so-called Playoff Committee final ranking.

16 Houston at 1 Michigan

9 Pitt at 8 Utah

13 Wake Forest at 4 Ohio State

12 Iowa at 5 Baylor

15 Clemson at 2 Cincinnati

10 BYU at 7 Michigan State

14 NC State at 3 Notre Dame

11 Oregon at 6 Oklahoma State

My guess? CBS, FOX, NBC, etc., would line up up to broadcast 'this.'

It might not 'Mean More, ' but $ wise, it would mean far more than 'It Just Means Less.'

And it would be one heck of a Run For The Roses.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would definitely be an improvement. With Larry, we had a Commish who liked lavish offices, and that was about it. GK came in, and just for that we had hope. But so far he isn't breaking new ground either.  It is the Pac-2, with Oregon & USC as far as football goes, and that is where the money is.

Right now, the Pac-2 is a big parking lot, where Oregon and USC are spinning their wheels.  The Alliance needs to win again, Unfortunately Obi Wan Kanobi isn't around. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe a strategy to use to leverage ESecPN?

I doubt they truly believe the SEC is a standalone product.  They're too boring.  

ESPN would certainly block any move to their Monopoly coverage of the bowl games.  

I actually believe you're more correct about the Super League.  

I'll tell you this: the PAC12 is moving closer to the talent level of the MWC every day.  I'm beginning to think the conference Presidents are too arrogant to recognize the peril they are in.  

USC better have a banner 2022, and I sure hope the others (including OBD) start winning their OOC games (including the bowls).  There is no justification for Oregon State losing to Utah State Street beating Utah.  That is more telling than USC falling from grace in my opinion.  

On 12/26/2021 at 6:27 PM, Mike West said:

I doubt they truly believe the SEC is a standalone product.  They're too boring.  

ESPN would certainly block any move to their Monopoly coverage of the bowl games.  

I'll tell you this: the PAC12 is moving closer to the talent level of the MWC every day.  I'm beginning to think the conference Presidents are too arrogant to recognize the peril they are in.  

USC better have a banner 2022, and I sure hope the others (including OBD) start winning their OOC games (including the bowls).  There is no justification for Oregon State losing to Utah State Street beating Utah.  That is more telling than USC falling from grace in my opinion.  

Pac 12 in 2021, 5-6 vs the MW. I think the SEC is the preeminent conference. But there is no reason to play in the SEC's and ESPN's sandbox. And there is no reason why the other 4 conferences, with ESPN owning all of the Playoff media rights,  not to kiss the world wide leader so long and go it alone.

The BCS and this BCS x 2 has done nothing except to diminish the Rose Bowl and elevate the SEC from what once a conference on par or less with the Pac-12.

I agree that the 'leaders' of the Pac-12 continue to be out to lunch; perhaps, better stated as thinking it's all good while blowing lunch?

Agree. The Pac-12 roster-wise keeps on losing to inferior opponents.

• Like 1

I like this idea the best JJ.

Now, can we sell it to the other conferences?

The "playoff" has ruined bowl games. Even players have little interest. This idea could save a bunch of them.

Ultimately when the PAC leaders turned down expansion they may have sealed their own fate.

They had the perfect chance to make it a P4 group. Eliminate a major competitor and pick up a few key contributing schools Stick their nose in Texas, carry three time zones and be a player.

Now when the next moves are made what will the remaining PAC schools do when USC, Oregon and a few more schools leave the conference.

USC and Oregon will not be part of a have nots conference. When the shift comes the big boys will be forced to move where the big money is.

JJ is right. Add the BIG 12 to the alliance. Go at it as a group separate from SEC/ESPN. 

Include a few of the Group of 5 conferences in a true 16 team National Championship tournament.

It's eat or be eaten. Create something that ALL the networks can be a part of and bid on. The money will flow because 3/4ths of the country or more will be interested in. Create something that. ESPN can't survive without......

The PAC had a chance to take the 2nd lethal bite out of the remnants of the landscape. SEC, Texas and Oklahoma took the first bite.

I am afraid, without aggressive moves , the next bite will be taken out of the PAC.

On 12/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, 30Duck said:

But so far he isn't breaking new ground either. 

In his first year as commissioner I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. We have no idea how much work is being done behind the scenes because most of it is frankly boring to fans. I am sure Larry left behind one amazing mess for George to clean up. There have been some smaller public steps made but nothing earth shattering at this time. I am expecting to see more out of George in his second year.

Not so sacred to the dawgs, but the huskies can't seem to get out of the box they're in.

husky-in-box.jpg

On 12/26/2021 at 6:27 PM, Mike West said:

ESPN certainly has 'power' over the ACC. It owns the ACC's media rights through 2036 and of course, owns the ACC Network.

SC in 2022? To have a big time 2022, the Trojans will have to pull a Michigan State portal job. MI ST brought in 40 mew players from the portal in 2021! Riley is recruiting lights out to date with the 2023 class. At least, at the skill positions.

Maybe QB Williams and more Sooners will portal to SC after the Alamo Bowl? The boosters who anted up with Riley's salary now have to come with big LA/Hollywood based, NIL deals.