Charles Fischer

BIG for Oregon Recruiting: Tosh Lupoi Will Join Oregon SOON!

This is incredibly important for the February Recruiting LOI day, and this means he could be joining the Ducks next week.

REPORT: Jaguars DL Coach Tosh Lupoi Added to Oregon Staff by Jared Mack of Duck Territory 247

Report: Oregon Ducks to hire Jaguars DL coach Tosh Lupoi as co-defensive  coordinator

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

If nothing else, the earlier than expected release from the Jaguars contract shows that Lanning and his staff know that this is an important time for recruiting. I will be interested to see if they can pull some unexpected signings to bolster this years efforts. 

MC leaving right after the PAC 12 championship put the Ducks in a bind. Lanning seems to be getting the program stabilized as far as his staff and communicating with current team members. 

Lanning will have a good team next year. His staff appears knowledgeable, and as long as they aren’t slapping around players on the sidelines, nobody will be longing for a return of the MC era at Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting contrast to the article on the dawgs attempts to hire from the NFL. When Oregon calls the phone gets answered, and they take the job.

Not just talented NFL coaches, but coaches with west coast connections, who can recruit, well done!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

No one with that history should be a Duck coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

Time to make sure the compliance department is fully staffed. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Does anybody else feel that Oregon has now fully gone to the dark side in the quest for college football dominance?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What are his problems that u are so traumatized by?  And what makes it so pertinent to now, not years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

The article only said that CP wouldn’t retain him. No details as to why. Anyone know why?

On 12/27/2021 at 1:51 PM, Drake said:

Lanning will have a good team next year. His staff appears knowledgeable, and as long as they aren’t slapping around players on the sidelines, nobody will be longing for a return of the MC era at Oregon. 

Yes, I don't ever want to see an Oregon coach viciously berate a freshman player on the sidelines live on national TV ever again.

When it comes to recruiting with NIL it seems the old days of NCAA "oversight" and "amateur status" have gone the way of the Dodo......so, why not embrace the dark ways of the before times.   Maybe Slick Rick was just ahead of his time?

Edited by idontrollonshobbas

On 12/27/2021 at 7:02 PM, toketeeman said:

Yes, I don't ever want to see an Oregon coach viciously berate a freshman player on the sidelines live on national TV ever again.

If you’re talking about the Kris Hudson episode against Arizona then I will wholeheartedly disagree with you. That young man earned every bit of the butt chewing he received and it was apparent that he respected MC by his response. He took it, responded with “yes sir”, and played hard when he got his second chance. 

Kids need to be coached hard and disciplined appropriately. Coaches don’t need to lay hands on them, but I don’t have a problem with grabbing face masks or jersey’s to get their attention. This is my opinion and I cannot be convinced otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 4:20 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

If you’re talking about the Kris Hudson episode against Arizona then I will wholeheartedly disagree with you.

I agree. I thought this was Mario's best on field coaching moment. Putting showboating before the team should always be met with a coaches wrath. I also the he handled it well and went on to become one of the few bright spots on offense the rest of the season.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:03 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Maybe Slick Rick was just ahead of his time?

Slick Rick was a good cheater, but Barry Switzer and the entire SMU staff during the 80’s were the kings.

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2021 at 3:47 PM, Washington Waddler said:

The article only said that CP wouldn’t retain him. No details as to why. Anyone know why?

There were more stories about unethical behavior, but this one touches on alleged recruiting violations.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 3:22 PM, Duck 1972 said:

What are his problems that u are so traumatized by?  And what makes it so pertinent to now, not years ago.

Setting aside the negative tone of your question, Lupoi had a reputation for recruiting violations and coaching players to fake injuries to slow the Duck blur offense in the glory years.

What makes it relevant is that greatness and weakness reveals itself early.  In this case, ethics and character may be concerns.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why Tosh Lupoi leaving Alabama was long expected

After some early struggles during the season, Saban stripped Lupoi of defensive play-calling responsibilities and handed them over to co-defensive coordinator Pete Golding, according to sources. Saban had poached Golding from UT-San Antonio in the offseason in part to alleviate concerns about Lupoi’s inexperience with the secondary and as a play-caller. Still, word is Lupoi seemed overwhelmed during practices and didn’t totally grasp situational play-calling.

While he was still heavily involved in the defensive game-planning, there was no question Golding taking over play-calling represented a demotion of sorts for Lupoi barely into the start of his defensive coordinator stint. Additionally, it was clear within the program how much Saban valued Golding, especially given he fended off other schools including Ole Miss in order to keep Golding at Alabama. It gave Lupoi reason enough to look for a soft landing place once Alabama’s season ended.

Lets just hope that he has learned some lessons.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lupoi will be a D coordinator under Lanning much like Helfrich was an O coordinator under Kelly. I think the defense will be just fine.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:02 PM, toketeeman said:

Don't get a 15 yard PF for showboating

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw the name Barry Switzer mentioned above and was reminded of a story. A peer of mine was recruited by Barry back in the day. A big part of his pitch was that he would get free tickets to the games that he could sell to make some extra money on the side among other "perks." According to my friend Coach Switzer never once talked about an education and his mother felt like it was because they were black. She said to her son "that man will never set foot in this house again." Her son went on to play for USC got an education and has had a very successful business career.

Edited by LADuck

"I agree. I thought this was Mario's best on field coaching moment. Putting showboating before the team should always be met with a coaches wrath. I also the he handled it well and went on to become one of the few bright spots on offense the rest of the season."

Can't entirely agree with this assessment of MC's meltdown. Watch the video again. It's one thing to seize the moment and correct a player, its quite another to throw a temper tantrum (throwing head set to the ground, almost spitting in a young man's face, etc.) It looked like public humiliation and intimidation to me, rather than a teaching moment. 

If that is an example of MC's best on field coaching moment, what do the bad ones look like?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:37 PM, John Charles said:

If that is an example of MC's best on field coaching moment, what do the bad ones look like?

Utah

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 8:40 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Utah

x 2...

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2021 at 5:10 PM, Duck1984 said:

There were more stories about unethical behavior, but this one touches on alleged recruiting violations.

Thank you for this info and I'm sure now Tosh will never have to resort to any tactics because first off the NCAA is now starting to look like a forgone conclusion. They are paying players to play for you now so I would think getting paid by the richest booster or one of that Lupoi shouldn't have to worry about anything but recruiting straight up. About the coach's bringing in or trying to get players to come with them well that just is the way they all do it now just look at the guy who sports a 61-60 record did it to. No worries sometimes you gotta side with the enemy.

Its already been told that Mario tried to get him to Miami and he said no thanks I'm going where the grass is greener. LOL.

Sorry if my post came across as negative. That was not my intention. It was a fact finding question. thanks for responding.

I hope your concerns have been vetted by the powers that be. I can't see how they couldn't have been, especially after hearing we turned down the idea of Kiffen as our coach because PK didn't like his name attached to Nike.

Oregon will be fine, as MC hate him or not, left the program with players. Lanning first 2 years are with MC roster. Question ___ Can this group develop talent? Todays players are not about what a degree from institution can do (or) set you up for life. Except USC, UCLA, Stanford, UW and CAL __ their alumni networking in major (corporations/business) open many doors outside of football. Plus these kids today careless about bowl games unless it's CFP. It's about the league and majority of these 4-5 stars have been hearing from middle school, you be in the league taking care of ALL the hangers on. In closing, CFP will be four (4) teams through 2024 and odds PAC12 gets nothing (or) even sniff. SEC and ESPN driving the not too expand.

My only concern __ like ASU we have ALL NFL coaches, who were castoffs and honestly the Steelers and Jags additions, these two (2) in the end Lanning will regret and truthfully were on the streets in the next two (2) weeks. STEELERS fan as I am, this guy killed us for two years and developed and improved nothing. Najee Harris wishes he has Alabama line in the Steel City.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:48 AM, Sun Devil Herb said:

My only concern __ like ASU we have ALL NFL coaches, who were castoffs and honestly the Steelers and Jags additions, these two (2) in the end Lanning will regret and truthfully were on the streets in the next two (2) weeks. STEELERS fan as I am, this guy killed us for two years and developed and improved nothing. Najee Harris wishes he has Alabama line in the Steel City.

Oregon’s new NFL castoffs were college coaches for a long time before their time in the pro’s.

As for the Steelers OL, you can blame that on Matt Canada. His schemes are about as exciting as Mario’s. Orgeron fired him and so did Locksley. I suspect he’ll be fired after this season. Klemm was just a cog in that wheel.

Tomlin should also be fired but the Rooney’s are too loyal. His latest coaching turnover backfired on him.

While I have plenty of issues with both Klemm and Lupoi none are related to poor performance at the NFL level.  Dealing with a 25 year old man with a contract two or three times larger than yours is far different than working with a twenty year old on a scholarship.  Ask Nick Saban or Urban Meyer.  Pete Carroll was fired from his NFL position prior to landing at USC.