Haywarduck

Herbstreit Asked Mario About The Miami Job In October!

Interesting article and statement about Mario's wandering eye.

Details of Herbstreit asking Cristobal about UM job in October: ‘Is That a Possibility?’ by Susan Miller Degnan of the Miami Herald

1446503a69c96321ead93b7071692d3d

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Interesting. It's natural MC would consider and then accept the Miami job, given that he played there, is from there, etc., but I do have to wonder now how distracted MC might have been during much the season.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:39 PM, Haywarduck said:

Interesting article and statement about Mario's wandering eye.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/details-herbstreit-asking-cristobal-um-203152139.html

Remember Herbie calling out Miami during the opening game beat down at the hands of Bama. This criticism and the year end results under Diaz, got the Canes powers-that-be moving.

IMO, Manny had the team playing hard in every game. He did have a young team that lost its starting QB and found a replacement very good young QB on the roster playing in the Sun Bowl.  I was happy to see Manny land as the DC at Penn St; the Penn St DC took the VA TECH job.

The Canes may have hired a better recruiter but I doubt that they hired a better coach.

• Thumbs Up 7

Cristobal's answer....was terrible.  Wow...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Herbie! If not for you, we may have had an avalanche of exodus after the Utah drubbings. Our offensive coordinator had two feet out the door and for good reason. Who would have even wanted the job next year. A Georgia beat down to start the year was all but garunteed and BYU would have been Utah 3.0. Throw in a few stepped on garden rake games like Stanford and a final Helfrich like season may have been inevitable. I honestly don't know if I could have watched another year of Mario ball and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Lanning has done more for the UO's hope for the future in his spare time the last couple weeks than Mario had in the last year. You can see this just by the way guys have returned from the portal and early draft considerations. The team itself seems to have found hope. Once again. thanks Herbie.

• Thumbs Up 3

Interesting that the illness Mario's mother had, which seemed to be serious, and he had to fly back to Miami has never been discussed since. I never liked the look of it, and it is starting to smell bad too.

• Thumbs Up 8

So glad he is gone!  Liars and snakes are a plenty in the swamp.

62 - 60. Nuff said.

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2021 at 3:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

62 - 60. Nuff said.

It was enough for Miami to think that Mario is Nick Saban/Jimmy Johnson combined. Hears to, ya, the "U"

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 1:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Cristobal's answer....was terrible.  Wow...

Was it honest?

There is no doubt MC started talking to Miami after the Ohio State game perhaps even before. Of course the talking was all orchestrated by Jimmy Sexton so Mario could deny involvement but the product he put on the field this year was not the product of his undivided attention.

• Thumbs Up 2

As the world turns..........

MC and how he handled this left me disappointed. We all knew his love for his Alma mater. No surprise that he took that job. He loves the school, the city and the memories..

Wish him well. Really do.......

IMHO, Miami was and is not a step up or even a lateral move from Oregon. However a 12-1 MIAMI may be an easier ticket to the CFP. The Canes have street and media credibility 

Thank goodness we lost to Stanford and wet the bed against Utah. If not MC would have delayed his announcement thru the CFP.

What a mess for recruiting, coaching hires and holding on to current players. Imagine starting the hiring process mid January?

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 1:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Cristobal's answer....was terrible.  Wow

Must be a southern thing. Reminiscent of Scarlet O’Hara when she was trying to figure how to keep both Rhett Butler and her pride by saying, “I can’t think about it now, I’ll think about it tomorrow.” 

Just like Scarlet, it’s hard Mario to have what you want and keep your integrity.

Not sure why any of this matters now, the media sell stories and Harbaugh/Michigan, Frost/Nebraska and now Cristobal/Miami are good stories to sell. Let's not pretend Herbie is doing his schtick entirely for the love of the game. 

As for MC, never underestimate the draw of home, not to mention the ridiculously lucrative contract he was offered.  This is the current state of college football or any big business for that matter. Sure the timing sucked for us, but we may have gotten a big upgrade in the process so who cares about what MC might have been thinking in October, with all due respect to the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, 30Duck said:

It was enough for Miami to think that Mario is Nick Saban/Jimmy Johnson combined. Hears to, ya, the "U"

Don't forget his coach for 3 seasons, Dennis Ericson.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 4:53 PM, Jon Joseph said:

IMO, Manny had the team playing hard in every game. 

you’ve make this assertion again - remember Manny’s defense gave up 760 yards in a critical loss to the Conference rival UNC losing 62-26. One UNC RB rushed for 308 yds, the other RB rushed for 236 yds. Diaz also lost to the perennial football power Florida International University. UM lost to FSU this year in the last minute on the worst time management I’ve seen at Miami. The team repeatedly did NOT play hard for Diaz.

Diaz never played one down of HS or College Ball. His claim to fame was introducing the “Turn-over Chain” and his political connection of his father being the Mayor. UM was Manny’s 1st HC job and he was overwhelmed  and confused making critical game and personnel mistakes. And if you think Manny was treated poorly treated during this coaching change ………remember that  3 years ago Manny  signed a contract as the HC for Temple and after 17 days …………broke his contract and returned to UM.

Would you have swapped Mario for Manny?   That’s a deal we would have enthusiastically made! 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, Captaincane said:

UM lost to FSU this year in the last minute on the worst time management I’ve seen at Miami.

In the words of Bachman Turner Overdrive "you ain't seen nothing yet".

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 6:03 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Don't forget his coach for 3 seasons, Dennis Erickson.

What do you say to superbly dressed Oregon State football players, who play for Coach Erickson and are in suits and ties?

"Will the defendants please rise?"

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/27/2021 at 9:20 PM, Captaincane said:

you’ve make this assertion again - remember Manny’s defense gave up 760 yards in a critical loss to the Conference rival UNC losing 62-26. One UNC RB rushed for 308 yds, the other RB rushed for 236 yds. Diaz also lost to the perennial football power Florida International University. UM lost to FSU this year in the last minute on the worst time management I’ve seen at Miami. The team repeatedly did NOT play hard for Diaz.

Diaz never played one down of HS or College Ball. His claim to fame was introducing the “Turn-over Chain” and his political connection of his father being the Mayor. UM was Manny’s 1st HC job and he was overwhelmed  and confused making critical game and personnel mistakes. And if you think Manny was treated poorly treated during this coaching change ………remember that  3 years ago Manny  signed a contract as the HC for Temple and after 17 days …………broke his contract and returned to UM.

Would you have swapped Mario for Manny?   That’s a deal we would have enthusiastically made! 

Great reply my friend. As the Zen Master said: We'll see? Mario as a head coach is 62-60. Your record is what you are. Considering his hot shot QB was injured last season and did not play as expected this season, I believe Manny did OK. Not great, but OK.

Oregon went 10-3. 2 blow out Ls vs Utah and an inexcusable loss at Stanford. 1 score Ws vs teams that talent-wise should not have been on the same field.

How about we compare Mario to Manny after 2 seasons? My guess? You are going to see a lot of top drawer talent wasted.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Mario as a head coach is 62-60

I’ve seen 62-60 quoted repeatedly in an effort to make MC look bad. Did Mario hide his record at FIU ………before he was hired? Shame on him!

Mario’s Oregon record is 35-13. His FIU record was irrelevant when he was winning PAC Coach of the Year; his FIU record was irrelevant when he was winning the Rose Bowl. It’s only revenant now to smear him.

I like reading your excellent forum because I learn. I know little about Football in the state of Oregon, but I respectful tell you …you know little about South FL football when you focus on MARIO ‘s FIU record. Butch Davis was arguably the best coach to wear the Orange-Green. He took over at Miami when they were penalized 33 scholarships. 33 scholies down and in 6 years he put together probably the most talented CFB team ever assembled. He left Miami for the NFL. 2000 Butch went 11-1; 2001 his talent won the National Championship; 2002 Butch’s talent went 12-1 losing the NC on a late questionable call. Butch Davis collected enough talent that Miami had SIX 1st round draft picks.

What does my rambling about Butch have  to do with Mario? Butch was fired this year but as FIU coach His record 24-32, in 2020 he was 0-5; in 2021 Butch’s  record 1-11. So Ducks can continue to use Mario’s FIU record to demean him, but objectively it’s irrelevant, and seems mean spirited.. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/27/2021 at 1:50 PM, Annie said:

Interesting. It's natural MC would consider and then accept the Miami job, given that he played there, is from there, etc., but I do have to wonder now how distracted MC might have been during much the season.

Personally, I believe MC that he was all in while he was here. I'm happy for him and his family. I'm Also happy the new coach understands the importance of recruiting. 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:45 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

IMHO, Miami was and is not a step up or even a lateral move from Oregon

I’m interested in hearing your reasoning? Thanks

Reasons Miami is not a step up or even a lateral move from Oregon:

1. Obvious downgrade in facilities

2. NIL/Nike opportunities for athletes

3. Recent history of success: Oregon 2 National Championship Games, Multiple Rose Bowl victories, multiple Pac-12 Championships (Miami during same time span?)

4. 2104 Heisman Trophy Winner (Marcus Mariota)

5. 2019 Outland Trophy Winner  (Penai Sewell)

Those would be a few reasons that come to mind.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, Captaincane said:

5za203.jpg

On 12/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, Captaincane said:

Hello Captaincane

I think John Charles presented a good list. But keep in mind it's all about who's cooking dinner and what ingredients we throw in the pot.  Nothing like home cooking. So my statement was homerized......

A couple of my ingredients to add are:

Since 2000

10 win seasons

Ducks 12. - Canes  5

Wins

Ducks  202.  Canes 182

That's 1 more win per season

Rabid fan base and some high powered donors who do not need to be asked for money. They bring it in an armored truck.

Miami fans talk about the glory days and have done very little to get back there, until now. Oregon is committed to creating some glory days of their own. IMHO, Oregon has better trajectory and momentum, at this point......

The investment from Miami boosters is so far just a promise of things to come  At Oregon the investment has been made and will continue 

Both schools started the 21st century on fire. Then  a slight fall off for both schools. Then the Ducks reloaded and had a 6 year amazing run . ....

The Canes did not. The Ducks had another 2 year drop, then Mario moved the Ducks to the top of the conference and 2 Championships. 

The Canes did not. Top dog is Clemson in ACC. 

Miami used to be a brand. Oregon is a brand...............

Now as many on this forum can attest, I am not controversial. So let me say 3 final items:

First, in 1985 Oregon was just learning how to win and go to bowl games. Miami under Howard S. was building a powerhouse.  I rooted for the Canes to beat FSU, Notre Dame and Nebraska. The Canes made amazing Coaching hires and put the trophies in the case ......Scoreboard !

But they did not sustain it......

Second, records do matter. Mario as a head coach is 62-60. There is no mincing or waltzing around that. It's okay and IMHO nobody is smearing Mario. He has earned the respect of many on this forum. But the wins at Oregon belie the empty promises. The sting is still strong. If Charles didn't monitor this site you would really see how many feel about Mario  

You and Cane nation are going to find out, soon enough what that means. First hand.........

Third, on this forum you probably won't get much love touting that Miami Natty in 200whatever... Why? Because the Canes did not play the 2nd best team in the country. You know the Oregon Ducks.......

Nebraska playing Miami meant hire ratings. That's why they called it the BS National Championship game .. 

Sorry for the long response. And truly thank you for being on this great forum. Your participation makes it even better 

Call me out any time and PS. It's difficult to get Jon to move off his position. Just another voice that makes this forum so strong.

Glad it's late. Nobody will read this post and it will probably get banned.

On 12/27/2021 at 8:27 PM, John Charles said:

Reasons Miami is not a step up or even a lateral move from Oregon:

1. Obvious downgrade in facilities

2. NIL/Nike opportunities for athletes

3. Recent history of success: Oregon 2 National Championship Games, Multiple Rose Bowl victories, multiple Pac-12 Championships (Miami during same time span?)

4. 2104 Heisman Trophy Winner (Marcus Mariota)

5. 2019 Outland Trophy Winner  (Penai Sewell)

Those would be a few reasons that come to mind.

1. OK granted Oregon may have better facilities but Miami has recently spent millions updating their facilities. They opened the new “indoor” facilities 2 years ago. The Canes facilities are only exceeded by a few programs and when UM was winning 57 straight home games ………facilities were not an issue.

2. Why would you think NIL opportunity is better in Eugene?  The population (businesses) of Miami-Dade County and Broward (Ft Lauderdale) is greater than the entire state of Oregon. 

3. Seriously? Miami has played in NINE National Championships and WON FIVE titles. UM still hold numerous winning streaks. In one year Miami had five players taken in the first round. Alabama just tied that record.

4. Heisman Winners - QB Vinny Testaverde & Gino Torreta. And 4-5 runner ups. 
5. Outland Winners: Russel Maryland; Bryant McKinnie

6. Talent - South Florida has got more HS talent than any area in the USA. IMG, Central HS, Northwester HS, etc. Half a dozen high schools individually each one has more talent than the entire state of Oregon.

‘The “Muck”:  never heard that term have you? Two poor small towns on the East side of Lake Okeechobee known for growing Sugar Cane has produced 60 NFL players.

* Mario can leave his house after breakfast and visit 4-6 talent rich high schools and drive back home by dinner. At Oregon it would be a week recruiting trip to California. 
** Dwane Johnson

For the life of me Captaincane...I have no idea why you keep coming back to pick a fight.  As I said before...you are happy you got Mario, and we are happy you got Mario, so everyone is happy...what is there to argue?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/27/2021 at 9:42 PM, Captaincane said:

1. OK granted Oregon may have better facilities but Miami has recently spent millions updating their facilities. They opened the new “indoor” facilities 2 years ago. The Canes facilities are only exceeded by a few programs and when UM was winning 57 straight home games ………facilities were not an issue.

2. Why would you think NIL opportunity is better in Eugene?  The population (businesses) of Miami-Dade County and Broward (Ft Lauderdale) is greater than the entire state of Oregon. 

3. Seriously? Miami has played in NINE National Championships and WON FIVE titles. UM still hold numerous winning streaks. In one year Miami had five players taken in the first round. Alabama just tied that record.

6. Talent - South Florida has got more HS talent than any area in the USA. IMG, Central HS, Northwester HS, etc. Half a dozen high schools individually each one has more talent than the entire state of Oregon.

‘The “Muck”:  never heard that term have you? Two poor small towns on the East side of Lake Okeechobee known for growing Sugar Cane has produced 60 NFL players.

* Mario can leave his house after breakfast and visit 4-6 talent rich high schools and drive back home by dinner. At Oregon it would be a week recruiting trip to California. 
** Dwane Johnson

Some of those are valid points. But the Cane glory, you speak of is in the past. The past......

We are speaking of the current landscape.........

For sure the talent pool is greater in Florida over Oregon.  Population in Florida is greater, by far. A few Florida players came west to Oregon.

But Oregons foot print is currently National. The Ducks recruit California, Texas and Florida.. The private jet has plenty of fuel and only needs to make 20-25 stops each year.

But here is where the rubber meets the road. It's about coaching...... .

If the talent is so good within 4 to 6 hours of the campus, how come the Canes aren't dominating the ACC and the CFP. I agree that the talent is there. I support your post. But where are your Championships the last 20 seasons? 

IMHO, lack of coaching and some recruiting losses have been the theme since Butch left. The Canes have had no 4 or 5 year runs of 10 plus wins per season. Ducks have 

Now you have Mario. He is one of if not thee best recruiter. But Miami has not been short on 4/5 star players the last 20 years. The Canes will have annual top 10 recruiting classes under Mario. He's amazing....

But, just as in the last 20 years or right now, these talented players need coaching and player development.......

We at Oregon were blessed to see 2 and 3 star athletes developed into NFL ready talent. But more importantly developed as a team.

We were blessed to have 4/5 star talent enroll at Oregon. Especially under Mario. Somehow though, the player development and team unity just didn't happen.

As Charles said Miami got the coach they wanted. Careful what you wish for.........

I just don't think combative posts will change many forums members minds about some of Mario's coaching decisions or player development.  Even if Mario was posting to defend himself, he wouldn't change many minds.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just a few random thoughts in response to various posts...

I'm sure fans of most schools think they are a better brand, opportunity, etc. than they really are, including USC, Oregon, Miami, Oklahoma, etc.  So no surprise that a Miami fan thinks his school is a better brand than Oregon, or that most on this board would disagree.  And both sides can make valid points to back up their assertion.  Not an argument either is going to win, and I don't really see it as "picking a fight."

A coach's record is important, but mitigating circumstances have to be taken into account.  No number by itself explains everything.  Is a 3-loss season a great season?  Not in Alabama, but certainly in Corvallis or Berkeley.  MC took over a moribund program and turned it respectable, even if he didn't leave with a winning record.

And I've yet to hear any coach say, "Sure, I would leave Oklahoma if I got $10 million more from USC" or "Yeah, I don't really like living in Eugene and want to go back home" or whatever.  Any more than any one of us here, if asked by his boss, would say, "Yeah, I've been mailing out resumes - if I get an offer from Microsoft, I'm gone." 

Most of us who get upset when a key player decommits or transfers, or a coach leaves, would jump at any job offer that's better for us (more money, better position, better area to live in, whatever).  So I just can't agree with comments about snakes or backstabbing or disloyalty or whatever.  He felt the move was what he wanted to do, just like Lanning felt leaving UGA and all the players and incoming freshmen he recruited was what he wanted to do.  Every single new coach coming to Eugene is leaving a school, players, and recruits to take a job with the Ducks.  It's just the way things work.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the Herbie story is true, MC played this just as did Slick Willie.

Read the grocery list and as always facilities/Nike-NIL blah, blah. Coaches not the be ALL. These programs are ALL building and upgrading, and you don't think the global leader in sports gear because of soccer ADIDAS will put the three stripe pancake on PK? Plus some of you folks with blinders on, reports have MC wife has uncle the richest Cuban imigrant in Florida, is behind the $$$ for the new stadium

People it is Eugene vs. South Beach. He is going home to recruit the best HS players and that is SE U.S. and Florida and can be home more a major plus. Another side note ___ Do you know on the West Coast there are NO OL/DL to speak of in Top 300 for 2022/2023. I did some research and the two pick ups by Lanning from Jags and Steelers were going to be castoffs at seasons end. Steelers guy Tomlin cut him loose, as OL for three years is the worst maybe since before Bradshaw. Could not develop after career ending injuries to Pouncy and DeCastro.

MC is hot check him on the web MiamiFlo ___ Behind his desk overlooking practice field and the gulf. Epic.

Bring players to Miami campus and ALL the beauty vs. tie-die and hippie type talent in terms of atmosphere off the field.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:03 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Don't forget his coach for 3 seasons, Dennis Ericson.

Yeah I forgot about that Jon!

On 12/28/2021 at 3:11 AM, Sun Devil Herb said:

If the Herbie story is true, MC played this just as did Slick Willie.

Read the grocery list and as always facilities/Nike-NIL blah, blah. Coaches not the be ALL. These programs are ALL building and upgrading, and you don't think the global leader in sports gear because of soccer ADIDAS will put the three stripe pancake on PK? Plus some of you folks with blinders on, reports have MC wife has uncle the richest Cuban imigrant in Florida, is behind the $$$ for the new stadium

People it is Eugene vs. South Beach. He is going home to recruit the best HS players and that is SE U.S. and Florida and can be home more a major plus. Another side note ___ Do you know on the West Coast there are NO OL/DL to speak of in Top 300 for 2022/2023. I did some research and the two pick ups by Lanning from Jags and Steelers were going to be castoffs at seasons end. Steelers guy Tomlin cut him loose, as OL for three years is the worst maybe since before Bradshaw. Could not develop after career ending injuries to Pouncy and DeCastro.

MC is hot check him on the web MiamiFlo ___ Behind his desk overlooking practice field and the gulf. Epic.

Bring players to Miami campus and ALL the beauty vs. tie-die and hippie type talent in terms of atmosphere off the field.

Yeah he may yes be doing that because it's home. Tropical over beautiful Mountains and yes ground you can build on and not have to worry in the middle of the night your house sinking into the ground. No thanks and Miami is a cesspool compared to Eugene. Besides I think this worked out for the best anyways as Lanning seems as if he really does have a respectable integrity factor by his way of staying on at Georgia which at first I wasn't happy about and now I could care less because he's gonna be the guy that delivers.

The staff he's putting together more than likely goes to TOP 5 in coming years and why not because Mario showed it could be done and now Lanning is already proving his chops big time. We all have to admit this is a different era now and I know a lot of do not like it because the greed is so bad and it's like what in the world are they gonna do to stop what I perceive to be their eventual downfall. I mean how can this go on like this as the money changing hands has gotten way out of craziness.

I mean can Oregon compete with their HCs leaving after a few years? Its simply not a recipe for success even with the richest booster. We all know Oregon wasn't really going to win it all with not being able to bring in 4 and 5 star D Lineman. I'm talking about future 1st round inside pass rush run stuffing nightmares that Bama, Clemson, Georgia and even terribly coached SC. So bringing in the Lupoi and plus all the other top recruiters should change this dramatic like and Lanning's youthfulness to me will really hold true in living rooms.

I mean also one last thing does anybody think that Mario regardless of who his staff recruits to south beach will ever be a Xs and Os great HC. I just don't see it after the results from not know what they had in Hebert to many other instances and the offenses he had brought in were border line horrible and not a recipe for success in the long run so he went home and the way he did it did not go the way he portrayed himself to be. Come on man he's not gonna be any better at this than Jerry Jones is as the Owner of Da Cowboy's.

On 12/27/2021 at 9:42 PM, Captaincane said:

** Dwane Johnson

Yes I'm glad he came back home but believe me your not going to sniff a Championship with Cristabal as your lead man. Its not going to happen. Oh yeah I'm quite sure you do not come close to any booster that has the money Phil Knight has unless of coarse it's something to do with money from drug laundering. That's hilarious there are so many tropical destinations to go the are far great than Miami any day of the week. You couldn't pay me to spend a week let alone one night there. Whatever and yes you have the history but that's it and never gonna be relived.

Your just like SC to some extent and still didn't get the coaching position right. You just hired an O Line HC as do you not get it? As in 4 years in tiny little Eugene he couldn't figure out a great OC hire and he'll do the same there. Just because he coached under Saban doesn't make him Saban. LOL you'll figure it out soon enough. Its gonna happen just like it did when FSU bought Slick Willie and we all new he'd be gone soon and it will take less than 4 seasons for Mario not to take a better job but get fired form his dream job and then you may come back on and you wont.

• Thumbs Up 1

Captaincane, basically it comes down to showing your hand, not just talking about what you have in your hand. Mario is the ultimate talker, you would think he has a royal flush on every hand.

As stated at the start of this thread, Mario's hand wasn't a royal flush. He was hiding cards to make it look like he had the nice hand, maybe that is the way it is played in Miami and he will thrive.

Miami has promised a stadium, never going to happen. Oregon is building an even better indoor practice facility, you can count on it happening.

Mario said he and his family were in love with Eugene, just hot air. He is saying all the right things in Miami, sounds like the same hot air act.

Your program has bought into this card trick act. We want nothing to do with card tricks anymore, best of luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/28/2021 at 6:11 AM, Sun Devil Herb said:

Steelers guy Tomlin cut him loose, as OL for three years is the worst maybe since before Bradshaw. Could not develop after career ending injuries to Pouncy and DeCastro.

Very weak argument. This was Klemm’s first year as OL coach in Pittsburgh. Were  you really expecting great things after losing Villanueva, Pouncy and Decastro while running Matt Canada’s scheme? It sounds to me like Klemm is jumping off of a sinking ship. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

I’m seeing a lot of arguments about Miami’s greatness from 20+ years ago. However, that’s why they poached Mario. They want to get back to that. Miami was an attractive job, but once the boosters broke out the $$$ it became an irresistible job. Had they not landed Mario they could’ve had Kiffin, Kelly, etc.

He will win more games than Diaz. That’s not hard to do, but he will be under an immense amount of pressure to win championships. Miami’s boosters are not paying $8M/year for ACC Coastal division championships. He gets 3 years to win the ACC and prove he’s not another Randy Shannon.

Miami is a lot like USC in many ways:

1) They have a championship tradition that hasn’t been lived up to in many years.

2) They broke the bank for their new coaches.

3) Their fan bases only show up when they’re winning.

4) Their is way more things to do in Miami and LA than watch average to above average football.

5) Their AD’s will not tolerate 8-4 or 9-3.

On 12/28/2021 at 6:11 AM, Sun Devil Herb said:

Plus some of you folks with blinders on, reports have MC wife has uncle the richest Cuban imigrant in Florida, is behind the $$$ for the new stadium

This still has to get through the Coral Gables city council. Here is a quote from the Miami Herald.

“The city of Coral Gables said it is “NOT in favor of a stadium project” and that the “speculative” proposal would not be compatible with surrounding neighborhoods, a spokesman told the Herald.”

The story of a new stadium is just that. A story. It’s something to sell to recruits. Mario most likely will not be around once it does get approved and then built.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I’m seeing a lot of arguments about Miami’s greatness from 20+ years ago. However, that’s why they poached Mario. They want to get back to that. Miami was an attractive job, but once the boosters broke out the $$$ it became an irresistible job. Had they not landed Mario they could’ve had Kiffin, Kelly, etc.

He will win more games than Diaz. That’s not hard to do, but he will be under an immense amount of pressure to win championships. Miami’s boosters are not paying $8M/year for ACC Coastal division championships. He gets 3 years to win the ACC and prove he’s not another Randy Shannon.

Not much here I disagree with. Canes football has been a shell of its once greatnesses. But remember the Canes were once great ………at the top of the mountain. Absolutely Mario was hired to revive the program and he will be expected to at least win the ACC Coastal Division within 3 years, but because he’s a favorite son he will receive more time and patience than did Manny. I’m impressed that you referenced Randy Shannon, but don’t forget Larry Coker, and Al Golden ………all underperformers. . 

I've seen enough...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck