Steven A

Would You Let Opt-Out Players on the Sidelines for a Bowl Game

I'm going to say "yes".

1)  They "stayed" with the program until the end of their college careers.  The fact that they have a chance to make the NFL, then they shouldn't jeopardize their future for a somewhat meaningless game.  So far, we haven't seen any player opt-out of a playoff game (yet).

2)  We want to foster a good relationship with alums.  Well, these alums are our highest profile alums and they shouldn't be shunned.  It is not a good look to recruits to see a school turn their back on players who are doing what is best for their post college livelihood.

3)  They will be seen on the sidelines during the game and it will be a positive to have the announcers talking about these NFL bound players on OUR sideline.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

The only argument i have ever seen for not allowing opt outs is that they want players to remain focused. Frankly I don't think that is a great point. I mean when you consider the fact that coaches are recruiting during the beginning of bowl season until just before christmas add in coaching changes and I'd argue the coaches are less focused than the players. Let them get a chance to stand with their friends and teammates for a final game. and let them be position coaches too. I mean even if Thibodaux isn't playing he is watching and maybe he can give in game advice to the backups that are now starting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice take Steven A. 

I totally agree.

Will Thibs, Wright and Williams be on the sideline? And will they fly on the Ducks’ charter?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 2:13 PM, UtahDuck said:

Let them get a chance to stand with their friends and teammates for a final game.

And coach them up.  Having a Thibs in your ear is a good thing.

i dunno… as a former athlete, all i ever wanted was one more game w my team. even if it was the consolation game for 6th place. next season was always so far away. 

as a competitive yet non-pro athlete, i would be pissed that a better player wants to both have and eat the cake. 

so i am firmly in the camp: you don’t get to go if you don’t want to play. easy.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/27/2021 at 1:56 PM, Steven A said:

I'm going to say "yes".

1)  They "stayed" with the program until the end of their college careers.  The fact that they have a chance to make the NFL, then they shouldn't jeopardize their future for a somewhat meaningless game.  So far, we haven't seen any player opt-out of a playoff game (yet).

2)  We want to foster a good relationship with alums.  Well, these alums are our highest profile alums and they shouldn't be shunned.  It is not a good look to recruits to see a school turn their back on players who are doing what is best for their post college livelihood.

3)  They will be seen on the sidelines during the game and it will be a positive to have the announcers talking about these NFL bound players on OUR sideline.

Completely agree. And I think it adds to the sense of camaraderie.

I'm going to say "no".  I don't like the look.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

yeah I think I would want them avail to be coaching up on sidelines and support. Most of these guys are good buddies so having them around for support and encouragement seems beneficial.

yeah—the more i think about it, the easier the question gets…

…you don’t get to go if you don’t want to play.

injured players still want to play even if they can’t. 

plan something back home for peeps left behind to keep everyone engaged. make sure the lines of comm are open to the sidelines. 

…but traveling as a duck is a privilege. 

• Thumbs Up 3

If I’m looking at just the game, then no - it’s a players’ world only. But, if I’m looking at it as a statement that something is wrong with the post season that is making players opt-out, then I’d just as soon everybody be down on the field silently rooting for an expanded play-off that would make it worth staying.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't like the idea of players that are capable of playing watching from the sidelines. In my opinion when you are part of a team you should fulfill your commitment until the end of the season. If you aren't going to contribute to the effort on the field you should get a drink and some popcorn to enjoy from your seat in the stands. When the game is over you can drop into the locker room and say hello to your old teammates. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Great post. Great question. But I don't know and I don't care. Probably because I am an old gas passer and you never quit on your teammates for any reason. If they were going into battle you went into battle with them.

$ has screwed CFB up. Even NY6 bowls if not playoff bowls no longer matter. The best player on both sides when Pitt meets MI ST have opted out.

Does Pickett get to NYC  without the guys balling out for him? Does Walker win the best running back award without his OL?

Expand the playoff ASAP and leave these 'meaningless' bowl games behind. Fans of the teams are supposed to travel and come large for tickets when the players don't care?

As the head coach my stance would be that they can have a sideline pass if they were on the team during the Fall and played through the Civil War and/or conference championship game.

On 12/27/2021 at 1:56 PM, Steven A said:

I'm going to say "yes".

Oh heck no as you don't want to play your basically telling your teammates that your to good to play with them. I don't care if it's a crappy bowl game they should have never accepted to begin with so no their done good bye. This crap never ever happened 10 years back. This is a me society and I don't have to accept the greedy people behind it. So what your saying is these guys got 4 years of their education payed for and it's ok to sit out because you play football. All's I know is this is getting to not be worth it at all. 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:17 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Even NY6 bowls if not playoff bowls no longer matter.

Ohio State has a bunch of star players opting out of the Rose Bowl.... the ROSE BOWL!

I was understanding why players would opt out of lower level bowl games but the freaking Grand-daddy of them all? NY6 games used to be a huge deal... now its playoff or nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm no. Royce Freeman ended his career on top of the yards rushing at Oregon, he caught Mariota's iconic flip against Michigan State. But what I remember most about him is seeing him on the sideline at the Las Vegas Bowl in his civvies. 

An injured player at the game cheering on his teammates is one thing. The opt-out player already told the team, "Yeah, I'm not interested in this game, but you guys, go for it. Meanwhile my agent is on the phone".

My heart and my Principles are at odds. My heart says you build relationships and the kids should be able to have their friends come and enjoy the festivities. The player helped the team to get to the Bowl game. It's one final hurrah!!! They put in their sweat equity. It's a bit of a reward for a seasons worth of work.

My principled side says that if you opt out, then you 'opted out'. It's the choice that the player makes not the Coaches. If you chose to not contribute to the game why would you travel with the team during the season? Then why during the Bowl season? I do believe principles win the day here.

No play? No travel with the team.

• Thumbs Up 1