FishDuck Article

The Alamo Bowl Blues

For the past couple weeks, I have been waiting for the enthusiasm for the Alamo Bowl to kick into high gear, but alas, I find myself still stuck in neutral. It seems the days of being ecstatic about the Ducks landing a terrific matchup in a second-tier bowl game is so 20 years ago (like the 2000 Holiday Bowl versus ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I agree. With the way things went down I have felt we should look at this game as a glorified spring game and let all the players play.

I feel so much more like that since learning of the lack of defensive players.

Holy crap, we have a game tomorrow!

• Haha 1

I was gonna yell "Go Ducks!". But now I'll just settle for a firm "Don't be late for practice!!!".

I was rehearsing a what if scenario...

Utah cancels due to Covid protocol.

Okie cancels...

Oregon moves to the Rose to face Ohio State.

Then I saw the Buckeyes players that are opting out and the scenario quickly disintegrated. 

Even the Rose Bowl is going to be another Meh Bowl.

I may just opt out of the bowls and tackle some grandkids in the snow this weekend instead.

By now, enthusiasm is what it is, and my enthusiasm for this Alamo Bowl, is reflected in the announcing crew ABC is sending. Chris, Herbie and Molly aren't going to be there. 

I feel ya...right down the line on numbers 1-5. Even so, I'll be watching. And, I'll be hoping for a good showing--for Duck pride, if nothing else. I just hope the players are more enthusiastic than many of us fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

Best summary of Mario Chri$to-ball legacy:

"5) The way the Ducks were manhandled twice by Utah at the season’s end certainly sucked the life out of what might have been an outstanding season."

Thanks for an outstanding article.  But I will be watching and rooting for Our Beloved Ducks!

I wholeheartedly agree.  Mostly, it’s the opt outs, and transfers that mute my enthusiasm……as,  it’s not the same team playing!  It’s more like a second string team.  No enthusiasm by our best players, so why should we be enthused?  Would they opt out of a playoff game?  Don’t think so!

I’ll still watch, though…..of course.  Gonna root for the players that showed up!  Lotsa teams would love to trade with us!

• Like 1

The Duck players that are going to participate in the Alamo Bowl sound excited, so I'm excited. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Darren thanks for those thoughts and words. I am confident you summed up how many on this forum feel.

Not sure what the ratings have been for this bowl season but I have not watched a single game.

Happy for the teams, players and fans of the schools who participated in the bowl games so far. Remember the excitement we felt as the Ducks earned  the Independence Bowl invite? It was exciting.....

Back then the Bowls were the prize.

The only 2 games I have watched since the CIVIL WAR game have been the 2 FCS semi-final games. They were exciting and fun to watch. BTW, they were games that mattered. Football games are a contest not an exhibition. Or a beauty contest.

The current format is just a beauty contest. Subjective not substantive. 

The format is just for the chosen few.........IMHO my opinion ESPN has ruined fan interest. Their greed pushed them to control it all. Now the bowls are less attractive and the road to the Natty leaves 10's of millions of fans unfulfilled.  Not watched a CFP game since 2014.

The last 2 seasons for me have just been a let down. Don't get me wrong, I love our Ducks and 14-6 thru the last 2 seasons is wonderful.  Wins on the battlefield are the goal.

But just plain vanilla in my opinion. Since the Ducks walked off the Rose Bowl field in 2020 where's the excitement and fun been?

A few nail biters over the rivals to then be told we don't have enough academic prowess by a mascot led team that can't even use a toilet, except to drink out of it.

The amazing win at the shoe is the highlight of the last 20 games. That game mattered. We won that beauty contest event.

After that win, the chef (MC) got done cooking the stew. Every meal but a few were bland at best. I was full but most of the time unfulfilled.  Even got indigestion. The first Utah debacle was a bad case of food poisoning. .

I am so proud of the young men who have hung in thru the last 2 seasons. Proud of the youngsters who stepped up thru all the injuries. You have my full support.

Enjoy the Alamo Bowl experience. It used to be considered a great reward for a hard fought season. Still is in my opinion.

Just not a 5 course meal, anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anytime Oregon plays Oklahoma you should get amped.

Don't forget regardless of how deep the teams are both will be on center stage and watched by most every recruit in the country.

If one team gets embarrassed it could be detrimental for recruiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

We got owned by Iowas State last year and romped twice by Utah this year, we better show up and play well tomorrow.

It feels like we’re witnessing the beginning of the end of bowl season as we know it. 

With opt-outs, the crazy coaching carousels, and covid cancellations, it just doesn’t feel exciting anymore. And the empty stadiums agree.

This bowl lethargy could however, kick the expanded playoff discussion into a higher gear. 

The 6-6 bowls can disappear and the traditional bowls can be incorporated into an expanded playoff. 

Until then, these bowls just feel like B team scrimmages.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Darren you summarize the bowl blues extremely well. We live in an era where the whole bowl concept is under attack, and the past isn't winning.

I have to go back to believing our Oregon Ducks are going to rise up. I always expect this to happen, whether it is this game or the next. It is just my DNA which the University of Oregon helped change.

I think they call it an epigenetic change. Some of my DNA has been turned on while other parts not. The parts which have been turned on respond to the idea those left in Oregon uniforms can rise up and beat an Oklahoma in a bowl game. This is something decades ago we could only dream of as an opportunity. I again dream of this as an opportunity, and one we will take advantage of and win.

This is why I will tune and watch with hope, but tempered expectations. The hope will override any doubt, at least for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Darren you perfectly described how I feel as well. I will watch the game, hope the DUCKS win and no one on either team gets hurt. But I am not excited.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 5:06 AM, Duck 1972 said:

I agree. With the way things went down I have felt we should look at this game as a glorified spring game and let all the players play.

I feel so much more like that since learning of the lack of defensive players.

Funny, I almost went with the Spring Game comparison. 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:16 AM, Steven A said:

Holy crap, we have a game tomorrow!

Yeah, no kidding. When I started to think of things to write about over the weekend, it suddenly hit me, "oh yeah! the game!" 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:19 AM, toketeeman said:

I was gonna yell "Go Ducks!". But now I'll just settle for a firm "Don't be late for practice!!!".

True. It's a good chance for younger players to try to prove themselves, I think....

On 12/28/2021 at 7:40 AM, nw777b said:

Okie cancels...

Then I saw the Buckeyes players that are opting out and the scenario quickly disintegrated. 

I may just opt out of the bowls and tackle some grandkids in the snow this weekend instead.

Utah, who is completely pumped to be there, better roll over the Buckeyes.  But knowing the Pac-12 (ie games they tend to lose), a half-hearted Ohio State might win. But, i'm also thinking that Utah will rise up. So, it should be a good game. 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:41 AM, 30Duck said:

By now, enthusiasm is what it is, and my enthusiasm for this Alamo Bowl, is reflected in the announcing crew ABC is sending. Chris, Herbie and Molly aren't going to be there. 

Definitely not the top announcing crew for this game. 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:56 AM, WiseKwacker said:

I feel ya...right down the line on numbers 1-5. Even so, I'll be watching. And, I'll be hoping for a good showing--for Duck pride, if nothing else. I just hope the players are more enthusiastic than many of us fans.

Yeah, gotta figure, it's a good chance to impress the new coaching staff for some PT next year. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:01 AM, Smith72 said:

Best summary of Mario Chri$to-ball legacy:

"5) The way the Ducks were manhandled twice by Utah at the season’s end certainly sucked the life out of what might have been an outstanding season."

Thanks for an outstanding article.  But I will be watching and rooting for Our Beloved Ducks!

Yup, I'll be right there with ya, the weird vibe and all!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/28/2021 at 8:10 AM, Duckdude said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  Mostly, it’s the opt outs, and transfers that mute my enthusiasm……as,  it’s not the same team playing!  It’s more like a second string team.  No enthusiasm by our best players, so why should we be enthused?  Would they opt out of a playoff game?  Don’t think so!

I’ll still watch, though…..of course.  Gonna root for the players that showed up!  Lotsa teams would love to trade with us!

yeah, it's a chance to see some guys step up and earn some PT for next, I think i'll feel more like a scout when watching the game than a fan. But, nontheless, Go Ducks!

On 12/28/2021 at 8:16 AM, Annie said:

The Duck players that are going to participate in the Alamo Bowl sound excited, so I'm excited. Go Ducks!

Great chance for some backups to step-up and impress for next year, for sure!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 8:19 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Darren thanks for those thoughts and words. I am confident you summed up how many on this forum feel.

Not sure what the ratings have been for this bowl season but I have not watched a single game.

Happy for the teams, players and fans of the schools who participated in the bowl games so far. Remember the excitement we felt as the Ducks earned  the Independence Bowl invite? It was exciting.....

Back then the Bowls were the prize.

The only 2 games I have watched since the CIVIL WAR game have been the 2 FCS semi-final games. They were exciting and fun to watch. BTW, they were games that mattered. Football games are a contest not an exhibition. Or a beauty contest.

The current format is just a beauty contest. Subjective not substantive. 

The format is just for the chosen few.........IMHO my opinion ESPN has ruined fan interest. Their greed pushed them to control it all. Now the bowls are less attractive and the road to the Natty leaves 10's of millions of fans unfulfilled.  Not watched a CFP game since 2014.

The last 2 seasons for me have just been a let down. Don't get me wrong, I love our Ducks and 14-6 thru the last 2 seasons is wonderful.  Wins on the battlefield are the goal.

But just plain vanilla in my opinion. Since the Ducks walked off the Rose Bowl field in 2020 where's the excitement and fun been?

A few nail biters over the rivals to then be told we don't have enough academic prowess by a mascot led team that can't even use a toilet, except to drink out of it.

The amazing win at the shoe is the highlight of the last 20 games. That game mattered. We won that beauty contest event.

After that win, the chef (MC) got done cooking the stew. Every meal but a few were bland at best. I was full but most of the time unfulfilled.  Even got indigestion. The first Utah debacle was a bad case of food poisoning. .

I am so proud of the young men who have hung in thru the last 2 seasons. Proud of the youngsters who stepped up thru all the injuries. You have my full support.

Enjoy the Alamo Bowl experience. It used to be considered a great reward for a hard fought season. Still is in my opinion.

Just not a 5 course meal, anymore.

For sure, it's little more fast-food this year than a nice meal. Thanks for the comment. 

I think what bothers me is the opt outs. it is kind of more like an exhibition game for the next years team. With so many players opting out for possible NFL run, it becomes anticlimactic to even watch them. I can say, I have watched zero bowl games this year, which is not typical for me. I generally watch as many as I can, and stream them while at work if I can. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:26 AM, Duckhart said:

Don't forget regardless of how deep the teams are both will be on center stage and watched by most every recruit in the country.

That's the big saving grace of this game, we get to play Oklahoma instead a lesser brand. Definitely a chance to do something positive tomorrow night. 

On 12/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, nw777b said:

Okie cancels...

Among others, stud WR Wilson has opted out of the RB. All you need to know about the importance of all bowls not hosting the playoff semi-final is the Doak Walker winner and a Heisman finalist QB dropping out of the Peach Bowl, and guys treating the Rose Bowl like it's no big deal.

The powers-that-be made a mistake IMO when they released the recommendation to go to 12 teams without checking in with the ACC, B1G and Pac-12. 

The BCS and the BCS x 2 have brought far more money into the game and IMO, destroyed what was once a terrific regional, amateur sport.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/28/2021 at 8:28 AM, Duckhart said:

We got owned by Iowas State last year and romped twice by Utah this year, we better show up and play well tomorrow.

Yup, let's win, or at least avoid an embarrassing loss. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:36 AM, duckcz said:

It feels like we’re witnessing the beginning of the end of bowl season as we know it. 

With opt-outs, the crazy coaching carousels, and covid cancellations, it just doesn’t feel exciting anymore. And the empty stadiums agree.

This bowl lethargy could however, kick the expanded playoff discussion into a higher gear. 

The 6-6 bowls can disappear and the traditional bowls can be incorporated into an expanded playoff. 

Until then, these bowls just feel like B team scrimmages.

Yeah, it 's one or the other, right now we're in the middling, akward stage of tyring to have both the CFP and Bowls, it just doesn't work, and it should become a playoff dominate post season in the next few years. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

Darren you summarize the bowl blues extremely well. We live in an era where the whole bowl concept is under attack, and the past isn't winning.

I have to go back to believing our Oregon Ducks are going to rise up. I always expect this to happen, whether it is this game or the next. It is just my DNA which the University of Oregon helped change.

I think they call it an epigenetic change. Some of my DNA has been turned on while other parts not. The parts which have been turned on respond to the idea those left in Oregon uniforms can rise up and beat an Oklahoma in a bowl game. This is something decades ago we could only dream of as an opportunity. I again dream of this as an opportunity, and one we will take advantage of and win.

This is why I will tune and watch with hope, but tempered expectations. The hope will override any doubt, at least for a while.

Well said. I honestly don't know what to expect tomorrow, which I guess makes for some intrigue. It'll be interesting. 

On 12/28/2021 at 12:47 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Yup, let's win, or at least avoid an embarrassing loss. 

Mario and friends were schooled by Matt Campbell and the other Cyclones coaches. But what do you expect from a team that lost to CAL and OR ST?

BTW: Darren my brother, you even up in Spokane I imagine you can hear all of the 'AMEN's?'

On 12/28/2021 at 9:20 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Darren you perfectly described how I feel as well. I will watch the game, hope the DUCKS win and no one on either team gets hurt. But I am not excited.

Yeah, it's kinda like watching a JV game, or a game in garbage time when both teams are playing backups, but just nobody it winning or losing yet. 

In the age of NIL, what stops a bowl sponsor or game advertiser from putting teams in promos and paying them for their work? Seems like a legitimate cash reward incentive to play in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:59 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

In the age of NIL, what stops a bowl sponsor or game advertiser from putting teams in promos and paying them for their work? Seems like a legitimate cash reward incentive to play in the game.

ROI?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 5:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

For the past couple weeks, I have been waiting for the enthusiasm for the Alamo Bowl to kick into high gear, but alas, I find myself still stuck in neutral. It seems the days of being ecstatic about the Ducks landing a terrific matchup in a second-tier bowl game is so 20 years ago (like the 2000 Holiday Bowl versus ...

Source

Read the full article here...

Is this game The Battle of the Headless Coachmen? Oregon will be fielding a beat-up football team. Oklahoma? It's 3 best players and starting TE among others, have opted out.

From a fan standpoint on paper the Alamo Bowl looks to be a disaster for both teams. From a players standpoint it's an opportunity to play one last game and for some to get more playing time because some have opted out. I'll be watching the game and not really expecting anything close to what a 100% roster would produce, but it's the Ducks vs the Sooners and that's good enough for me.

Great summary Darren.

School collects some cash.  Coaches going to other teams get one more check from Oregon.  Playing a bowl game makes financial sense for the school and ex-coaches.

I’m not sure what motivates players.  Game trinkets and trash?  Playing time for freshmen, third stringers, and walk-ons?  Last chance to play for sixth year seniors that are not likely to play beyond college?

How about a returning starter that could lose an offseason with an injury in a meaningless game?  What motivates him?

I will watch this game like an impending train wreck, looking for heroes.  Can we adopt a one game motto of “Save the Day?”

On 12/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, Duckhart said:

Team talent as shown on 247 Sports Team Talent Rankings. 

1 Georgia 2. Bama 3. Ohio State - no surprise here. But Texas is ranked 5!

OKLAHOMA - 9

OREGON - 12

However , these rankings evaluate a roster as if everyone was healthy and good to play. Also it does not take into account opt outs. 

On 12/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, Duck1984 said:

Great summary Darren.

School collects some cash.  Coaches going to other teams get one more check from Oregon.  Playing a bowl game makes financial sense for the school and ex-coaches.

I’m not sure what motivates players.  Game trinkets and trash?  Playing time for freshmen, third stringers, and walk-ons?  Last chance to play for sixth year seniors that are not likely to play beyond college?

How about a returning starter that could lose an offseason with an injury in a meaningless game?  What motivates him?

I will watch this game like an impending train wreck, looking for heroes.  Can we adopt a one game motto of “Save the Day?”

The only thing i can think of is it gives backups and others who haven't played much a chance to shine heading into next year. 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:53 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Mario and friends were schooled by Matt Campbell and the other Cyclones coaches. But what do you expect from a team that lost to CAL and OR ST?

BTW: Darren my brother, you even up in Spokane I imagine you can hear all of the 'AMEN's?'

For sure I can!

BUT……..I’m glad the stagnation of the Mario Cristobal era is……OVER!

The Holiday Bowl was just canceled a few hours before KO due to COVID protocols, so there is still a chance this game can get axed at the last minute.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The Holiday Bowl was just canceled a few hours before KO due to COVID protocols, so there is still a chance this game can get axed at the last minute.

Colonel Travis and Davey Crockett are not going to let the Alamo fall without a fight! Right?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

Remember the Alamo