Logger29

An Odd Couple of Years

Since our retirements my wife and I have made every effort to attend Duck bowl games. We have not always been successful in the endeavor and the Ducks have not always qualified.

As our family has grown, attending Duck bowl games has become a family vacation in a warm location.

Last year COVID shut us down but this year we where actually boarded and ready for take off, when flight cancelled.

Just got home from Sea-Tac, a two hour drive on snow covered roads. We are beyond disappointed. It would have been the family’s first time in San Antonio. We planned to spend a few extra days and take in the sights.

Don’t cry for me Duck Brothers. I share this pitiful tale for a reason.

Like many of you, I see a seismic tremor coming to college football. An expanded playoff is coming. The bowl game as reward to the team as well as the fans in a warm weather destination will become a quaint legend.

It saddens me. My wife and I bought tickets to the Independence  Bowl, the first bowl with Rich Brooks. We had both barely begun our careers, just bought our first house, and my wife was pregnant with our first child. We couldn’t afford to go. But Oregon at 6 and 5 needed to guaranty so many tickets to get the bowl bid. We ponied up.

Everything changes. Now Duck fans apparently have developed a snooty attitude regarding “Lower Tier” bowls.  Too bad.

Last thought: about a decade ago we stopped monetary contributions to the academic departs from which our degrees were issued, no political commentary allowed by Charles but I think you can guess why. All our contributions now go to the Duck Athletic Fund. Duck athletics give us joy, even during these odd times.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

While I fear the changes that are indeed coming?  I plan to soak up as much of the current "era" as I can.  While what you describe is never returning....the same is true with what we are experiencing right now.

Who knows what it will be like in just three years from now?  So let's enjoy the next three years!

Dan Lanning_Duck Digest.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck