FishDuck Article

Alamo Bowl Gameday Thread: Why It Matters for Oregon

College football’s postseason is in a state of crisis. Bowl games have become almost entirely irrelevant due to opt outs, transfers and coaching changes. Even the most intriguing matchups on paper lose their luster, as the roster teams field in bowl games hardly resemble the ones they’ve fielded the rest of the season. In the past, today’s matchup between Oregon ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

What am I looking for? 

I'm looking for the playbook to be opened. I'm looking for a masterful usage of Anthony Brown. Coach his strengths on the field. Allow him to finish his career at Oregon standing on the strengths of his game. He can win this and he can win big if the coaching staff will let him. I'm also looking for a defense to test Oklahoma.

I remember some 20 years ago how some 2 and 3* kids struggled to be effective until they were juniors. Now? We have the Beef and the Gazelle's to play with anyone. Specifically, I'm looking for defensive line play and serious penetration thereby disrupting timing of OU offense. I'm not worried at all with backfield play. Noah and company can mitigate Caleb well enough to slow the offense. 

I personally see this game as being a very good product on the field. Both are high quality and caliber programs with high quality athletes. I'm stoked about the game. 

38-34 Oregon

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

I want to be clear, I have already said my good byes to the Cristobal era, it's over.

What are you looking for in tonight’s matchup, as we say goodbye to the Cristobal regime and move towards a new era of Oregon football?

The new era is on the bench, but I want to see execution and some trick plays. I have seen Moorhead get creative in the past, and I would like to see Joe give us a show. That would bring in the new era very nicely. 

As has been stated, if I see too many 3 and outs, with predictable play calling I may just turn off the tv, and wait until next year to see the new era. If it really does look like Cristoball, then I won't watch.

I hope the student athletes get to have fun, and play to their potential, if so it will be a good game.

• Thumbs Up 6

I do not care that AB has played his heart out all year.  I look forward to the Future that will be the Ducks and AB is not owed that.  Now if AB can muster the success of his team mates that is a different story.  But if he cant, let another try, lets see what we have in the cupboards to win a game, even if it may not be with AB.

• Thumbs Up 2

I too am over MC. I think he was loosing his locker room and it showed with the frustration penalties and disgruntled wide receivers.

I also think there were more defections to come even if MC would have stayed.

Banks for one wasn’t coming here and I’m sure there was more. Texas made an offer he couldn’t refuse.

We all know who will play hard because that’s who they are.

What I most want to see is no more AB, we’ve seen his act enough, and our young players getting a chance to show the new coaching staff what they can do. 

The cream could rise to the top and we all hope it does.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

UO v OU is an epic and anticipated matchup anytime. Slotted in TV prime time on a slow sports night the game will be watched coast to coast. What better time is there for the Ducks to prove that the win over the Buckeyes in the Shoe was deserved?

I would like to see the O-line push the Oklahoma defense with Dye passing 150 yards rushing and Cardwell adding 100 more.

It will be great if the defense can plug the LOS and play a pressing pass defense taking away the first six yards that the Ducks opponents feasted on throughout the season. 

No guts no glory. No balls no blue chips. Go Ducks.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

"Sure, Cristobal was one of the more impactful figures in recent memory for the Ducks, and his individual skill set can’t be replicated."

Yes, Mario was impactful and he did leave the program better than he found it for which I am happy.  So, I'm assuming the "skill set" you are referring to is recruiting.  Otherwise, the only other skill set of his we want to keep is his work ethic (the non-I'm-outta-of-here ethic).

I think we'll know in early February how good Lanning is at trying to duplicate the recruiting success and if he can, then we won't miss MC at all.

However, I am pessimistic about both a good game out of the Ducks and a W as I'm afraid we will see another Utonian effort.  I can only hope OU duplicates that type of effort, then we'll have a game.  

I think we will see some pretty sloppy ball from both teams, lets just hope the Ducks give it their best all things considered.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who are the Ducks playing for? What is actually going to motivate them? Certainly not the coaches as they're all leaving. Each other? Pride?

Like the 2nd UT game when they said they were eager to back on the field and show UT what they're really made of. Will playing OU be

enough to motivate them?  

Any effort better than the last two UT games will work for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Joshua, once again, thanks for taking the time to give us this article. 

You are spot on that future recruits will be tuning into this game. It's the first matchup between high powered  national brands this bowl season. Team enthusiasm and performance matter.

Recruits from the PAC, BIG 12 and future BIG 12 teams, IMHO, will be watching. After all, these 2 National brands represent conferences that these youngsters will be living and playing in for the next 3-6 years.

What am I looking for tonight?

What future Duck leaders will emerge during this game from the young players?

With only 8 upper classesmen potentially tonight. This game is about the future.

Would like to see some of that future play tonight. Even if execution is lacking, would like to see great effort........

Go Ducks. Not enough info to really pick a winner either way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder how many 3rd and long failures we will have?

I will be watching and waiting for the "Where was this guy all year?" and/or "Where was this play calling all year?" moment.  That, coupled with team effort and a legit attempt at demonstrating enthusiasm would be great. 

My takeaway from this game will not be predicated by the final outcome, which will NOT be in our favor, but more so by the manner in which the guys carry themselves and represent Oregon football for sixty mins. 

Just looking for something positive to carry-over to next year. 

Final note on MC.  Unlike you guys, I'm not over the MC era.  Well, maybe the era I can expunge but I still harbor a fair amount of disdain for that clown that I'm sure will occupy a place in my left ventricle for some time to come.  We have at least one therapist on this board, right?  

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

First off, everyone on the team, deserve a chance to play.  They filled a role, they came to practices, they filled in for the injured, the opt outs, the MIA.  But Oregon, deserves to show what the future holds.  How do you judge talent, how can we see talent, AB has been given more chances than those recruited by Oregon.  We owe them as much as you think we owe AB.  You move on to your next school, AB, moves on in life, those you left behind, deserve some air time to help coaches evaluate and plan on how they may help them succeed too.  Best of luck to our Ducks tonight, put it out on the field and be judged, then it is up to the coaching.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

For now the 2nd Utah slaughter is the final note to the season. The team didn't have any spark, So what I'm looking for is a Ducks team with energy and spirit. A positive end to this season and momentum for the next. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I agree with all that is being said on this thread.  I want Brown, Dye, and Dollars to exceed 300 yards running.  I want our lines, both O and D, to dominate.

I want to see our defense be aggressive.  Especially not giving up the middle on 3rd and long!

I want to see Moorhead and Deruyter regain their reputations and call a masterful game!

I wish for a successful passing game from Brown.  But if he is off I hope McClendon abandons the MC past and let another QB lead the Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/29/2021 at 7:54 AM, Jester said:

Final note on MC.  Unlike you guys, I'm not over the MC era.  Well, maybe the era I can expunge but I still harbor a fair amount of disdain for that clown that I'm sure will occupy a place in my left ventricle for some time to come.  We have at least one therapist on this board, right?  

Okay.

The thing about modern collegiate football (and most sports) is that it's both a big business and it's play.  Business is in it for the bucks and play is for the fun.  In the coming bowl game, the buck chasers are already (mostly) gone.  So we'll see how much the play-ers enjoy the game.  Play is for the fans, too.  We don't watch these games for money (uh, gamblers excluded, of course).  So take some deep, slow breaths and repeat for several minutes..."It's just a game.  It's just a game.  It's just a game........."  1326738399_bouncesmiley.gif.af2c0a9406feb821e89d5bef776f3404.gif

In reply to the article, I keep in mind that the play on the field isn't just about "want to".  It's also about health, training, play preparation, and skill.  I fear that those things will be in short supply for the Ducks.  But I hope for Duck strength on the field (johndeere.jpg.ee49f36ab3340dcbf44be97563a3b1c1.jpg)

I, for one, can't wait for the game.  Play on.  GO DUCKS!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I just looked through the available roster and though the Ducks will be thin there is talent playing everywhere and most got a bit of playing time . What I consider the most critical unit in football, the O line is strong. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest Axel

Very well crafted, Joshua. 

Does anybody believe things have changed so much that we will see the Ducks play loose on offense?  Or that things have improved enough that we will play tight on defense?

The strengths of the remaining team are on the O-line and in the backfield.  Our QB is a runner.  Unless our young receivers become great downfield blockers, the Ducks may have trouble scoring.

A major weakness is our secondary.  We will get beat if we press on defense, which leaves slants and underneath crossing routes open.  We will likely see continued soft coverage and prevent D.

A winning game plan is to run to control the clock, and play prevent D outside the 10 yard line.  This game may not be as fun to watch as I would like, but I will watch anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2021 at 11:29 AM, Mudslide said:

The thing about modern collegiate football (and most sports) is that it's both a big business and it's play.  Business is in it for the bucks and play is for the fun.  In the coming bowl game, the buck chasers are already (mostly) gone.  So we'll see how much the play-ers enjoy the game.  Play is for the fans, too.  We don't watch these games for money (uh, gamblers excluded, of course).  So take some deep, slow breaths and repeat for several minutes..."It's just a game.  It's just a game.  It's just a game........."

You're absolutely right, Mudslide, and I ought to know better!  Do you Bitcoin, PayPal, or straight-up cash as payment? 

• Haha 1

I don't think we will know how good a recruiter Lanning is until next recruiting cycle at the earliest. I think a year in the position to see how the system works, and where pieces fit, then he goes after what is needed to elevate it. In my opinion next recruiting cycle will be telling. 

I would like to see AB have a great game and lead the Ducks to a win. Always liked this quote from John Wooden:

“Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”

From watching AB play and listening to various interviews I believe he is giving his all for his team. His teammates seem to agree and in my book if he is doing the best he is capable of he is a winner. He has taken a lot of heat and it would be nice to see him finish strong.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 8:57 AM, Arctuniol said:

I don't think we will know how good a recruiter Lanning is until next recruiting cycle at the earliest. I think a year in the position to see how the system works, and where pieces fit, then he goes after what is needed to elevate it. In my opinion next recruiting cycle will be telling. 

Agreed, except Feb might be a pleasant sneak peck with who might be saved from MC's class, who we can steal from Georgia, and what the newbie coaches bring

I'd give Brown the first quarter to produce. If the Ducks don't score 10 or more points, bring in the future. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, Duck 68 said:

I'd give Brown the first quarter to produce.

I'd give him the first Qtr period as a reward for his efforts this year. Then bring in the future regardless.

• Thumbs Up 3

Great take Joshua.  How teams respond in a final game to the disappointment in both season outcome and a sense of betrayal is never easy to predict . However, pride will play a big role. But in that, you can perceive a difference between the two schools.

Bob Stoops’ temporary return seems to be more that of a therapist for a fragile ego than a coach moving a team past the pain and forward. His message appears to be to circle the wagons in pride in the past.

Oregon as a program has been down this road before and has a history of knowing you only get past that pain by going right at it, and moving past it. Have we learned that lesson yet? 

That’s why you play the game.

Edited by Washington Waddler
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, Jester said:

You're absolutely right, Mudslide, and I ought to know better!  Do you Bitcoin, PayPal, or straight-up cash as payment? 

We haven't had our whole hour yet!  ....  And don't forget, there is always women's volleyball to watch.  'Tis strangely calming.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mudslide said:

We haven't had our whole hour yet!

As a former attorney, I advise you to round up and retire earlier than me!

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Always a treat to read one of your articles Joshua, thank you. I do think the OK players will stand up and put out for the legendary Bob Stoops. Bob is an interim coach but one with far more 'presence' than the part-timer coaching Oregon. So, will the OR players have the competitive juice to show up and play hard in this game? I am uncertain because in 2 or Oregon's last 3 games I saw little to no leadership on the sidelines or on the field. I am concerned about the guys who are practice no shows and why we have received no explanation regarding their absence; I hope this is not affecting the team's will to win?

The best player on the field will be Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams. Mainly due to opt outs OK is missing lots of starters. But looking ahead to 2022, OK's QB will be one of the top 3 in the country coming into next season. It is hard to win any football game. Harder when the opponent has a material advantage at the all important QB position. Oregon has by  far a better OOC win in 2021 than does OK. But OK played in a top to bottom conference far more difficult than the Pac-12. There is no reason to believe Oregon can win this game, which is why the Ducks, if the team truly feels disrespected, could win this game.

Win the game? Great. But please at least show up, ball out for 60 minutes and do not quit.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, Notalot said:

UO v OU is an epic and anticipated matchup anytime. Slotted in TV prime time on a slow sports night the game will be watched coast to coast. What better time is there for the Ducks to prove that the win over the Buckeyes in the Shoe was deserved?

I would like to see the O-line push the Oklahoma defense with Dye passing 150 yards rushing and Cardwell adding 100 more.

It will be great if the defense can plug the LOS and play a pressing pass defense taking away the first six yards that the Ducks opponents feasted on throughout the season. 

It's slotted after this grey beard's bed time! I plan on taking a nap to make it through a game that will KO close to 9:30 eastern and finish on Thursday.

On 12/29/2021 at 10:45 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Joshua, once again, thanks for taking the time to give us this article. 

You are spot on that future recruits will be tuning into this game. It's the first matchup between high powered  national brands this bowl season. Team enthusiasm and performance matter.

Recruits from the PAC, BIG 12 and future BIG 12 teams, IMHO, will be watching. After all, these 2 National brands represent conferences that these youngsters will be living and playing in for the next 3-6 years.

What am I looking for tonight?

What future Duck leaders will emerge during this game from the young players?

With only 8 upper classesmen potentially tonight. This game is about the future.

Would like to see some of that future play tonight. Even if execution is lacking, would like to see great effort........

Go Ducks. Not enough info to really pick a winner either way.

Oklahoma? Don't forget that SEC recruits will also be watching.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2021 at 12:01 PM, LADuck said:

I would like to see AB have a great game and lead the Ducks to a win. Always liked this quote from John Wooden:

“Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable.”

From watching AB play and listening to various interviews I believe he is giving his all for his team. His teammates seem to agree and in my book if he is doing the best he is capable of he is a winner. He has taken a lot of heat and it would be nice to see him finish strong.

Great take. John also recruited some pretty good players, no?

On 12/29/2021 at 3:15 PM, Steven A said:

As a former attorney, I advise you to round up and retire earlier than me!

Former attorney? 'You just made the list buddy!'

Okay, I know it's hard to get too excited about the Ducks playing in the Alamo Bowl. But take a moment and consider what it's like for Clemson fans. They're used to seeing the Tigers in the CFP.  Tonight, Clemson is playing in the Cheez-it Bowl.

image.jpeg.ac3d8602fbde2bfc977821ceed34d27e.jpeg

• Haha 1

I know I'm not the only one who's excited to see some young players step up in the wake of the transfers and opt outs. I think this will be a great look into the future of our receiving corps. So much talent at that position, both WR and TE.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Always a treat to read one of your articles Joshua, thank you. I do think the OK players will stand up and put out for the legendary Bob Stoops. Bob is an interim coach but one with far more 'presence' than the part-timer coaching Oregon. So, will the OR players have the competitive juice to show up and play hard in this game? I am uncertain because in 2 or Oregon's last 3 games I saw little to no leadership on the sidelines or on the field. I am concerned about the guys who are practice no shows and why we have received no explanation regarding their absence; I hope this is not affecting the team's will to win?

The best player on the field will be Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams. Mainly due to opt outs OK is missing lots of starters. But looking ahead to 2022, OK's QB will be one of the top 3 in the country coming into next season. It is hard to win any football game. Harder when the opponent has a material advantage at the all important QB position. Oregon has by  far a better OOC win in 2021 than does OK. But OK played in a top to bottom conference far more difficult than the Pac-12. There is no reason to believe Oregon can win this game, which is why the Ducks, if the team truly feels disrespected, could win this game.

Win the game? Great. But please at least show up, ball out for 60 minutes and do not quit.

I sure am hoping this game does not become a 3-hour Heisman campaign for Williams ...

On 12/29/2021 at 11:46 AM, Duck1984 said:

Does anybody believe things have changed so much that we will see the Ducks play loose on offense?  Or that things have improved enough that we will play tight on defense?

The strengths of the remaining team are on the O-line and in the backfield.  Our QB is a runner.  Unless our young receivers become great downfield blockers, the Ducks may have trouble scoring.

A major weakness is our secondary.  We will get beat if we press on defense, which leaves slants and underneath crossing routes open.  We will likely see continued soft coverage and prevent D.

A winning game plan is to run to control the clock, and play prevent D outside the 10 yard line.  This game may not be as fun to watch as I would like, but I will watch anyway.

I think our offense will be just fine crazily enough. I'm pretty concerned about our defense this game, though.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:12 AM, Haywarduck said:

I want to be clear, I have already said my good byes to the Cristobal era, it's over.

What are you looking for in tonight’s matchup, as we say goodbye to the Cristobal regime and move towards a new era of Oregon football?

The new era is on the bench, but I want to see execution and some trick plays. I have seen Moorhead get creative in the past, and I would like to see Joe give us a show. That would bring in the new era very nicely. 

As has been stated, if I see too many 3 and outs, with predictable play calling I may just turn off the tv, and wait until next year to see the new era. If it really does look like Cristoball, then I won't watch.

I hope the student athletes get to have fun, and play to their potential, if so it will be a good game.

I would absolutely love to see Moorhead empty his bag of tricks. I'm sure he's got some really cool plays drawn up that he's been sitting on.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, Notalot said:

Perfectly said. Honestly, what an absolutely cool matchup. I wasn't too bummed when we lost the Pac-12 Championship because I knew this game would be our consolation prize, and I think it's a pretty cool one!

On 12/29/2021 at 10:33 AM, Steven A said:

"Sure, Cristobal was one of the more impactful figures in recent memory for the Ducks, and his individual skill set can’t be replicated."

Yes, Mario was impactful and he did leave the program better than he found it for which I am happy.  So, I'm assuming the "skill set" you are referring to is recruiting.  Otherwise, the only other skill set of his we want to keep is his work ethic (the non-I'm-outta-of-here ethic).

I think we'll know in early February how good Lanning is at trying to duplicate the recruiting success and if he can, then we won't miss MC at all.

However, I am pessimistic about both a good game out of the Ducks and a W as I'm afraid we will see another Utonian effort.  I can only hope OU duplicates that type of effort, then we'll have a game.  

Yeah, I think Cristobal had a bunch of good qualities. He was a strong leader, hired really good coaches, had an infectious personality and as you said, was a relentless worker. I think we'd be fortunate to have those traits in another head coach. Of course he wasn't perfect, and ideally Lanning can learn from what Cristobal did well and improve upon what he didn't.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:43 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

Yeah, I think Cristobal had a bunch of good qualities. He was a strong leader, hired really good coaches, had an infectious personality and as you said, was a relentless worker. I think we'd be fortunate to have those traits in another head coach. Of course he wasn't perfect, and ideally Lanning can learn from what Cristobal did well and improve upon what he didn't.

AMEN, ONWARD AND UPWARD!

Let's hope the defense plays well and keeps us in the game!

Jeffrey Bassa_GoDucks.com.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

A stop on the first 3rd and long!

Oof, Donte Thornton should have had that. 

Didn't take too long for Brown to throw an interception. 

Yes... The ball could have been caught and bounced off the hands of the receiver but he was also like triple covered and the pass was behind. 

Looking forward to better QB passing next year. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

That pass was thrown slightly behind him.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

Already 1 TO.

if TT doesn’t play next series i swear i’m gonna drink another beer. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, DR Hilarius said:

if TT doesn’t play next series i swear i’m gonna drink another beer. 

Ive already had 3

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Like 1