MaiTaiDuck

Apologies

Hello fellow Duck faithful I am putting this out for anybody I may have offended as a apology because I was wrong and didn't mean to attack anyone's post on here. I will just let you know that this season was the worst for me to take and honestly I was so close to being done with the Ducks as this was not what I expected from this team going forward as I just am not ok with just a RB win once in a while. I'm not making excuses for my bad behavior because there are none so once again I am sorry. I will add that I do appreciate all of you and appreciate what and why Charles expects us to be like on here.

I do believe Oregon got this hire right for once and great things will happen and they will happen first on February 5th when this new great staff of better recruiters and better coach's as in coaching these players up not like this staff that is now for the most part gone. The 5th will be great because that's when they can finalize this class and I believe we will have a class between 15th and 9th. I watched a PAC 12 media guy talking to some SC homer talking as if Riley and SC will be right around the same spot in recruiting when it's all done. I laughed at his illusions and honestly Lanning beat SC.

So I'm all back in and I will be watching what I say and how I say it with respect to all my Duck faithful so please don't worry that I'm gonna be bad because I'm gonna be good. Thank you all for being loyal Ducky's like myself and lets all have a great 2022. Thank you very much and again I am sorry for being difficult. Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • Like 2

Appreciate your thoughts.

I'll put a good non-coal word in for you with Santa for next year.

• Haha 1

MaiTaiDuck

This truly was a difficult year. Especially watching those games live. Anger and frustration built in many of us. Its okay and natural.

Who would have thought that so much angst would be present in a 10 win season?

We had amazing highs (tOSU, UCLA). Mediocre wins that should have been blowouts. And absolute gut punches in both Utah bed wetting sessions. WTH

Sometimes we just need to vent or talk with someone.. That's what this great forum is all about. 

Thanks for the heartfelt apology. You did not hurt my feelings or ever offend me. 

I enjoy your posts and look forward to many more.

Welcome back and Happy New Year.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have been watching SC fans talk like Riley is the second coming of Pete. Makes me curious to ask, hope or false hope? What does the record show?

Riley was a first time head coach of a blue blood school, the Sooners. The product on the field undoubtedly got worse year to year. SC fan fails to recognize this.

Riley's first couple years, recruiting at Okie was around 5th in the nation. The past couple cycles recruiting is in the mid teens. SC fan is going to be disappointed as the Ducks continue to ascend to elite status.

Don't know what you said but I am good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess maybe it shows what other forums tend to be like (looking at you, Oregon Live, when you still had a forum) - but I didn't notice any comments that were potentially offensive or rude.  So count me as unoffended.

Not to mention pretty hard to offend overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

MaiTaiDuck,

Thank you for the apology.

I started to read the post/rant that I believe you feel the need to apologize for. I recognized it for what it was immediately. Complete frustration. 

I felt no need to read it, as there is already far to much negativity in this world in which we live. I come to this forum to escape the stresses of daily life, not to add to them.

Thank you for the apology and thank you moderators for maintaining this refuge.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Awareness

As our resident psychologist HappytobeaDuck so eloquently stated it starts with being aware. I am aware of my formula, which can offend, but I assure you I never intend to offend. 

My formula is to attempt to create curiosity, mostly by building off of shared awareness of something. I then try to bring in humor, so we can all have a good laugh. Laughing, for me, is a very, enlightening and healing process. 

Recently I tried to create curiosity towards the rules which allows this forum to work. I then tried my humor and it didn't work. It came off as mocking. I wasn't aware it came off that way until too late.

I think this is where we as a group have to be able clean up what was, sometimes, not even meant to be offensive. Part of being an adult is being able to admit when we are wrong and making it right. I was wrong, even though my intention was good.

The other element what MaiTaiDuck stated so well, we need to reflect on what we write, too. We need to watch what we say as it comes across to a diverse group of people. I want all those people to feel welcome and accepted, maybe not agreed with, but accepted.

So going forward I will try and adhere to the wise words of Happy and MaiTai, be aware, reflect and if needed, clean it up.

5zff84.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

For me, it is an emotional investment following Duck football.  This is a good place to rant from time to time. There are some good loyal fans that are here on a regular basis. 

I think frustration is part of being a fan of any team. 

Go Ducks

I too have made comments that I didn't feel were negative.

People are so different in the things they say and how they feel. As long as we try to understand each other, make amends when needed and be adults things will usually work out.

Thanks to all of Duck fans who post, our moderators and Charles who has started something that is needed. A forum for all who want a place to enjoy not get angry.

Happy New Year to you all.

Game day is here and my juices are flowing. Just like our players, coaches and fans.

Go Ducks Fly High and most importantly have some fun.

I have known MaiTaiDuck for years and love him dearly.  But as we all do on occasion...he made a mistake.  But the biggest difference between him and the people I was haggling with yesterday by email, and on the phone is...MaiTaiDuck values what we have here and has been a gentleman in his response.  He demonstrated real class that the two people I banned yesterday did not have....  (A second day of banning a pair!)

Most everyone here are wonderful, and MaiTaiDuck is an example of a stand-up guy.  Thanks also to Haywarduck, as he was very kind...

Now we move forward, forget about it and talk some Ducks!

Duck in Columbus.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dear Duck forum Fans:  While none of us should ever "throw the first stone" our emotions are a part of what bands this group together.  As the expert armchair coaches that we are:

I also have seen tendencies and patterns that have caused frustration, I totally agree that it can be helpful to discuss problems or even more enjoy talking about: potential solutions, in a world that is so negative, I got a little concerned for our program. 

Coach C brought the Ducks to a level of talent that many of us did not think possible!  While Uncle Phil gave us a vehicle that could perform, Coach C took it and showed what it could do in spite of what a few other coaches said about Oregon recruiting!  (They are no longer with us.)  I am thankful for and will continue to honor his contribution for that. 

That being said, with all that is going on around in our world, there were times when I couldn’t help but read some comments and cringe as I thought:  what do the recruits and their families think as they read the diehard duck fan comments!   Let alone the future coaches we would like to come join and help our program?  

I am excited about a new start for a new year but I hope we don’t throw a verbal fit when our “guys” mess up – even if it is more than once!    Our coaches and players will mess up from time to time – but they are still our guys and our team!

I guess you had to sit alone in a section of Autzen (the one time when it did rain) with a plastic sheet over your head while we were getting pasted on the field – but hey!      Go Ducks!      

Looking to the future, I will cheer win or lose – but really rooting for even more success!     Just remember: we are all recruiting by what we post!   Just my 2 cents with inflation!   

On 12/29/2021 at 1:25 PM, dan4ducks said:

what do the recruits and their families think as they read the diehard duck fan comments!   Let alone the future coaches we would like to come join and help our program?  

Dan....I have enough to watch for, and making everything nice for recruits or coaches is not one of them.  You must be new because we state often that we want all views, and negative is fine because....that is what forums are for.  We can be critical of player performance and coaching decisions, but we cannot get personal toward a current player or coach.  

And coaches and recruits usually know well enough to stay away from these forums as they know what they will see.  One of the things they will see is incredible passion for Our Beloved Ducks...

Note: Dan and I have chatted, and he is another example of the well-meaning good people in this community.  

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/29/2021 at 4:25 PM, dan4ducks said:

Dear Duck forum Fans:  While none of us should ever "throw the first stone" our emotions are a part of what bands this group together.  As the expert armchair coaches that we are:

I also have seen tendencies and patterns that have caused frustration, I totally agree that it can be helpful to discuss problems or even more enjoy talking about: potential solutions, in a world that is so negative, I got a little concerned for our program. 

Coach C brought the Ducks to a level of talent that many of us did not think possible!  While Uncle Phil gave us a vehicle that could perform, Coach C took it and showed what it could do in spite of what a few other coaches said about Oregon recruiting!  (They are no longer with us.)  I am thankful for and will continue to honor his contribution for that. 

That being said, with all that is going on around in our world, there were times when I couldn’t help but read some comments and cringe as I thought:  what do the recruits and their families think as they read the diehard duck fan comments!   Let alone the future coaches we would like to come join and help our program?  

I am excited about a new start for a new year but I hope we don’t throw a verbal fit when our “guys” mess up – even if it is more than once!    Our coaches and players will mess up from time to time – but they are still our guys and our team!

I guess you had to sit alone in a section of Autzen (the one time when it did rain) with a plastic sheet over your head while we were getting pasted on the field – but hey!      Go Ducks!      

Looking to the future, I will cheer win or lose – but really rooting for even more success!     Just remember: we are all recruiting by what we post!   Just my 2 cents with inflation!   

My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Mario post Ohio State yoked us into a season that was frankly baffling. As Charles has so often pointed out, Mario came in with a base canard; the Oregon O would continue to play aggressive football on O.

One of my best Christmas presents, 62-60 Mario going MIA. No one should apologize for, in accordance with the Forum site rules, noting that Oregon consistently under performing on the field. Failed to show up against many the lesser opponent. Mario came 'this close' to destroying a brand that took time and money to develop. The excuses after every close W against bad opponents and after the loss at Stanford and the two blow out losses vs Utah never changed. A guy who walked the walk in recruiting but failed to walk the walk on game day.

Mario will not learn from more experience. Under Mario in 2022, we would have seen the same stuff different day. There is a wholly legitimate reason why fans in Autzen booed. 

Being a fan does not mean you forgive all; especially, when a team is continually unprepared to show up and play ball. The number one job for a coach is to have his team prepared to play. Oregon, if correctly coached up, was a final 4 team in 2019 and based on roster strength, also in 2021.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:10 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The number one job for a coach is to have his team prepared to play.

The team's biggest win under Mario was achieved in spite of him. This was a case of Ryan Day not having his Buckeyes prepared at all and the Ducks pulled a win out of the air. We know this because of what the teams did for the rest of the season. 

Under Day, Ohio State let loose the most explosive offense the Buckeyes have had in years. Meanwhile under Mario, the Ducks struggled against Stony Brook and lost to Stanford. Not once, did Mario make an in game adjustment, much less, a quarterback change, even for a half, even during the bye week.

Too not be critical of Mario was too be blind. Miami wants him, and when their season is done, and their QB, who threw for 4000 yards last season, puts up, 2800, next season, they'll know what Prevent Offense looks like. 

• Thumbs Up 2