FishDuck Article

Two-Back Sets in the Kenny Dillingham Offense

Two-back sets look to become a big part of the Oregon offense under Coach Kenny Dillingham’s guidance. This is a tactic that Coach Dillingham is accustomed to, serving under Coach Mike Norvell since his days with the Arizona State Sun Devils. The offenses that Coach Dillingham has previously coached have used two-back personnel in a variety of unique ways. Today, ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Dilly has to be excited about what he saw out of the young receivers last night in the second half. 3 receivers that showed incredible ability to get 2 steps of separation over the top. The most impressive play, in my mind, was when Hutson came back inbounds, adjusted and caught the ball. Although ruled incomplete, I was really impressed with that catch.

Throw in the pro set with a QB that can actually take advantage in the passing game and this offense could be lethal. Gives you an extra blocker and a dump off in pass plays. An extra second is the difference between scramble for your life and a 40 yrd td pass over the top. Just need an actual QB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

Enjoyed the offense for once this season, nice to see playmakers shine. In shock that we didn't see Butters or Thompson.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:41 AM, Log Haulin said:

Dilly has to be excited about what he saw out of the young receivers last night in the second half. 3 receivers that showed incredible ability to get 2 steps of separation over the top. The most impressive play, in my mind, was when Hutson came back inbounds, adjusted and caught the ball. Although ruled incomplete, I was really impressed with that catch.

Throw in the pro set with a QB that can actually take advantage in the passing game and this offense could be lethal. Gives you an extra blocker and a dump off in pass plays. An extra second is the difference between scramble for your life and a 40 yrd td pass over the top. Just need an actual QB.

That was a head scratcher for me. Hutson was pushed out of bounds when the ball was in the air, came back caught it, and there was no pass interference? Water under the bridge, but the WR's showed well to me, composer, and talent, the future looks bright.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks Coach Boles!

We have a talented room of running backs (sure hope Dye stays) and a 2 back formation will help utilize that talent.  Multiple ways to use misdirection plays.  Something that was not present enough this past season.

The Ducks also have a great group of tight ends.  Ferguson #19, Matavao #8, and Webb #18.  All have good hands, can run, and are physical.  I would hope there are ways to utilize their talent in ways similar to Kelce and Kittle in the NFL.

I'm stoked that Dillingham is coming to the Ducks!  A vertical passing game has been missing from Oregon for some time!  Can't wait for Spring practices to start!

Thanks Coach for sharing your thoughts and explanation of the 20 and 21 sets.

If Ty sticks around and Bo coming in we have 2 former 5 stars in house to run this offense. 

Great running backs, receivers and tight ends to utilize.

And best of all the making of a 2 deep, monster O line.

Plus filling in needs thru the portal.

Go Ducks............

On 12/30/2021 at 8:36 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

And best of all the making of a 2 deep, monster O line.

Reminds me, some of OU's o-linemen looked like two guys stuffed into one uni.!

• Like 1

I know he's fresh but i can't help but wonder how Seven McGee might perform in a system like this. You could run hurry up with McGee in the slot and without changing personnel be running a 2 back play on the next down. maybe it's just me but I could see him working all over the field. 

I'd love to see some creativity tied in with this offense.(that is from someone who loves the ground and pound.)  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2021 at 12:01 PM, UtahDuck said:

I know he's fresh but i can't help but wonder how Seven McGee might perform in a system like this. You could run hurry up with McGee in the slot and without changing personnel be running a 2 back play on the next down. maybe it's just me but I could see him working all over the field. 

I'd love to see some creativity tied in with this offense.(that is from someone who loves the ground and pound.)  

I'm sure this was at the heart of the conversation Lanning had with Seven to bring him back into the flock.

• Thumbs Up 2