Charles Fischer

Feedback Requested: How Long to Edit a Post?

My Friends, we are working at the fine points of the forum, to decide on how we want to do things.  The time set for editing a post after you started it was five minutes, and many wrote that it was not enough time to make the changes.

The challenge I have are people adding bad stuff to their post after they think a moderator has looked at it, and then all the new readers of that thread are exposed to the Troll's nonsense.

Report Menu.jpg

But Jon Sousa asked, and ICamel answered that we can help the community by reporting any inappropriate content in a post by clicking on the three dots in the corner of a post you are reading, and then click on "Report" (As you see above) and write a brief report of the issue in the window that comes up. All reporting is confidential and it helps keep our community clean in a much faster way.

So if people are reporting the occasional post that has bad stuff stuck in later, the question is..."how long should the editing window be for members who just posted."  For me--I do proofreading and editing immediately, and I would hope most people do that.  Realistically, we cannot leave the editing open longer than an hour, and I am not sure that amount of time is needed.

A half hour has been suggested the most often, but let me know your thoughts because I feel that the more I know...the better I can set it up to serve everyone the best.  Feedback please!

giphy.gif

I know...I'm going crazy on the GIFs.  It is new and fun and I'll tone it down.  (Later)

Mr. FishDuck

In my most honest opinion -

Having a good community that reports inappropriate content which has been added is your best bet. I mentioned to you privately how Reddit is set up. Obviously you can find some horrible communities on Reddit, but also some very nice ones.

I tend to join and stick with the nice ones. Nothing to do with sports, but people are legitimately nice and most people follow the rules; there are methods to report to a moderator; they will actually down-vote nasty responses, report them to moderators, and even reply personally by telling people to shape it up.

I am an optimist.

If I didn't think that this is already a nice community, I would not have signed up for the forum. I almost didn't, but I really enjoy the people contributing here.

So, I say give more time. At least an hour. Make sure people know the rules and how to report violators. See how that goes.

I think it will be OK.

My TWO CENTS!

Edited by FishIceCream

Extend it to 30 minutes. It isn't locked in stone at that time frame. Adjust +or- from there.

I will say that it is longer than five minutes now with an adjustment today, but then I thought I would check for opinions and design it for the needs of the community.  Hence this thread...

Mr. FishDuck

Nine times out of ten I edit for typos/spelling/grammar which I often don't notice until I see the posted format. If I'm eager to read other threads I may not go back to check mine for 15-20 minutes, maybe more. Ditto the 10th time when I realize another thread/comment may have been posted while I was composing my comment. So, 30 minutes should be good for the usual housekeeping kind of changes.

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, hydrophobic said:

Nine times out of ten I edit for typos/spelling/grammar which I often don't notice until I see the posted format. If I'm eager to read other threads I may not go back to check mine for 15-20 minutes, maybe more.

It sure looks like everybody is doing a great job with their proofreading, and it's really appreciated. Of course there will be slipups, :classic_wink:.

2 hours ago, hydrophobic said:

Nine times out of ten I edit for typos/spelling/grammar which I often don't notice until I see the posted format. If I'm eager to read other threads I may not go back to check mine for 15-20 minutes, maybe more. Ditto the 10th time when I realize another thread/comment may have been posted while I was composing my comment. So, 30 minutes should be good for the usual housekeeping kind of changes.

Totally agree