cartm25

VERDICT: MC Throttled The Offense

The Alamo Bowl presented us with the rare opportunity to see the Ducks’ offense directed by the OC hired by MC, but without MC’s influence.

All I can say is, “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out MC!”

It was both maddening and exciting to see this offense yesterday. Maddening because of how long we had to suffer through MC’s “Early 2000s Bama Offense”. Exciting because those young, talented WRs let loose was a sight for sore eyes. Yes, the 1st half was tough to watch, but IMO, that was more a function of poor play/decisions by AB and dropped passes than play-calling.

Think about it, if MC had been coaching down 30-3 to start the 3rd quarter he would have run the ball three straight times. For that, and the revelation that he is the ONE responsible for the pathetic offense, I will not miss him.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Well....we scored 32 points, and that was the season point-per-game average.  But I agree with your overall premise--now the young-gun receivers are let loose...look out!

And I of all people am glad that what I began as one of the few voices a few years ago concerning Mario and his offense--is now accepted as truth.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/30/2021 at 11:13 AM, cartm25 said:

The Alamo Bowl presented us with the rare opportunity to see the Ducks’ offense directed by the OC hired by MC, but without MC’s influence.

All I can say is, “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out MC!”

It was both maddening and exciting to see this offense yesterday. Maddening because of how long we had to suffer through MC’s “Early 2000s Bama Offense”. Exciting because those young, talented WRs let loose was a sight for sore eyes. Yes, the 1st half was tough to watch, but IMO, that was more a function of poor play/decisions by AB and dropped passes than play-calling.

Think about it, if MC had been coaching down 30-3 to start the 3rd quarter he would have run the ball three straight times. For that, and the revelation that he is the ONE responsible for the pathetic offense, I will not miss him.

He did not, can not and will not "grow" to be a better coach. So happy we will no longer have hear 'this' about a 62-60 head coach. Intentional? I doubt it but the man's coaching style on offense was on the way to totally destroying the Oregon brand. He can walk the recruiting walk but can only talk the coaching talk. Thank you Miami! So happy that Mario is MIA in Eugene.

But I am also concerned that Mullens could not see what was happening right under his nose?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I was obviously going to watch this game as an avid Duck fan, but I posted yesterday morning that I was curious to see if we would be privy to a "Where was this play calling all year?" moment.  Guess that was answered. 

If the offense was truly throttled by MC I offer my sincere condolences to AB.  For all the crap we give him, he displayed a very nice deep ball last night.  Receivers with a little more experience would have netted him an even better result.  With either being hard-headed with his offensive philosophy, or by believing he was protecting AB's inability to throw the ball, he my have stunted what this QB could have produced. 

Now, when I think of the MC all I can imagine is Gandalf saying:

You_Shall_Not_Pass!_.thumb.jpg.ff4755db9f5d3e76c02aeefcd9ae57ba.jpg

• Haha 3

Well, I think a couple of factors are in play...these new young receivers have the ability to get open, and were held back to show "loyalty" to JJ III and Redd.  Thornton did it in the Spring Game, then in the Colorado game...and proved his talent so well getting explosion plays...that they never went to him again!  (Until last night) 

This is why I thought JJIII would lose his job to a freshman by mid-season.  The talent by the newbies was there, but the coaching was not.

Yes Brown did better, but it does not change his inability to see the field, process quickly and lead the receivers better in his throws.  He also panics under pressure, and that was evident a few times last night as well.

I believe Jay Butterfield could carve defenses up with these receivers and tight ends!

Forum Only Kris Hutson.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

It felt like a tale of two offensive halfs.

The first half felt all Christobal.  Safe.  Lots of short passes to the flat, to the sidelines, and across the puddle.  AB proved again that he can’t throw catchable passes.

The second half felt all Morehead.  Explosion.  Lots of downfield looks.  AB proved that he can throw 50/50 balls.  Some were caught for big scores.

Safe doesn’t cut it anymore.  Looking forward to the Lanning era.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yes bring on the Lanning Era..... 

Please.....    

Now I can officially add MC to the list of 4 letter words I do not ever utter. Not cause I am a Saint. But 8 kids, 20 grand and 3 greats give you pause to watch your words. Helps you change and break bad habits.

Something(that name that will not be uttered) he will never do, change.

Go Ducks........

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I think a couple of factors are in play...these new young receivers have the ability to get open, and were held back to show "loyalty" to JJ III and Redd.  Thornton did it in the Spring Game, then in the Colorado game...and proved his talent so well getting explosion plays...that they never went to him again!  (Until last night) 

This is why I thought JJIII would lose his job to a freshman by mid-season.  The talent by the newbies was there, but the coaching was not.

Yes Brown did better, but it does not change his inability to see the field, process quickly and lead the receivers better in his throws.  He also panics under pressure, and that was evident a few times last night as well.

I believe Jay Butterfield could carve defenses up with these receivers and tight ends!

Nailed it.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Charles,  you got my attention by calling-out Butterfield in your comment.  

Of the young guys who were parked on the bench all night, would Butters be your first go-to or were just mentioning Jay in an "even Jay could carve these guys up" kind of way?

Asking cuz most peeps would opt for TT as a first option, and I obviously don't know your stance on the pecking order of the QB room. 

I did not keep track of the Individuals but it seemed like OK had 2nd and 3rd strings on defense In the second half. Although I did see great effort on our part. It's over time to move on.9

On 12/30/2021 at 9:29 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Well....we scored 32 points, and that was the season point-per-game average.  But I agree with your overall premise--now the young-gun receivers are let loose...look out!

But 29 of those were in the 2nd half. That and the fact that the kids didn't quit, that's the difference.

Can hardly wait for next season to start.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, Jester said:

Charles,  you got my attention by calling-out Butterfield in your comment.  

Of the young guys who were parked on the bench all night, would Butters be your first go-to or were just mentioning Jay in an "even Jay could carve these guys up" kind of way?

Asking cuz most peeps would opt for TT as a first option, and I obviously don't know your stance on the pecking order of the QB room. 

I also might be in the minority in saying Butterfield would be a better choice. He's the only pro-style QB Oregon has. Given the fact that there's a lot of talent in the RB room, the QB needing the ability to to run becomes secondary. He just needs the ability to scramble for 10 yards on occasion to keep the defense guessing. 

I'd rather have a QB who can throw the rock and occasionally run than vice versa. Justin Herbert was such a player. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Guest KingT
On 12/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Completely agree with you on Butters. Thought he looked best in Spring. I thought Ty looked very green in the few snaps I've seen. Can some of you help me understand why we haven't seen at least some snaps for these young QBs?? I'm literally at a loss of why they haven't seen the field at all late in the year.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, Jester said:

Truthfully...I don't know any more than you, but I was very impressed with Butterfield in the Spring and Colorado Games.  I compare the three quarterbacks this way to prior Oregon greats, and this based on my WAG, as I am not at practices.

--Ty Thompson is between a Justin Herbert and Marcus Mariota profile.

--Jay Butterfield is AJ Feeley again.

--Robby Ashford is another Dennis Dixon.

I do not have anything to base this on other than the Spring Game and the Colorado game, but I sense an "it" factor with Jay when it comes to the passing part of the game.  If we went to a Pro-Style, then Butterfield would be the best matchup.  If we stayed with the Spread, but were serious about the QB pulling the ball and running when the "read-key" determined it?  That would be Ashford.  And I suspect that Thompson could excel in either...

I am just curious-as-hell to see what a new batch of coaches sees in our quarterbacks...or not.

Jay Butterfield_Pac12 Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck