30Duck

CJ Stroud: USC, UCLA "Just Kind of Boring"

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest KingT
On 12/30/2021 at 11:53 AM, 30Duck said:

He's right. I went to the Ohio St game and it was amazing. Nice but passionate fans. UCLA can hardly fill the lower bowl. SC are fair weather fans in an awful part of town. Many Cali kids are more than willing to get out of the area for a few years...

SC fans are stoked with Riley, they see the Carroll days coming back. But, if the Trojans don't win like Riley was doing at Oklahoma, Trojan fan will be elsewhere. UCLA football fan?

What USC, UCLA, Oregon and the rest of the PAC12 face going forward is not just little things like the legacy of Larry Scott and bad scheduling.

It's a cultural issue.

College football in the West is just not as big a thing as it is in the Midwest and South. That shows itself in the game-day crowds, how many kids play high-school ball, what college presidents prioritize, and on and on and on. It's a deep-rooted difference between parts of the country that isn't going to be changed by - probably - anything.

Oregon has a chance because it has created a unique brand that, with work, can still attract players, coaches and fans. Mario did his best to kill it, but didn't succeed. Lanning has a chance, but it will depend on the Oregon brand continuing to be distinctive and successful.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If a Pac-12 team regularly made the final 4 and routinely sent a bevy of guys on to the pros the recruits would stick around the fans would fill the stadium. 

When Carroll was at SC,  Trojans football was the hottest ticket in town. Win and fans will follow. Not every B1G and SEC game is a sell out. Not every B1G stadium rivals the Shoe in intensity. 

Having said this CJ, I'm looking forward to you going 0-2 vs the Pac-12 this season.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait! Was he describing LA or Miami? Same story in two different cities.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:28 AM, jrw said:

It's a cultural issue

This one thousand times over. 

People in the west just don't care about college football like elsewhere. It's not close.

Look at the difference of ANY PAC12 game compared to some soccer game in Portland? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:50 AM, Jon Joseph said:

If a Pac-12 team regularly made the final 4 and routinely sent a bevy of guys on to the pros the recruits would stick around the fans would fill the stadium. 

When Carroll was at SC,  Trojans football was the hottest ticket in town. Win and fans will follow. 

Respectfully disagree

The world has changed and it ain't going back. They canceled the entire season last year without a thought and no one batted an eye.

Those Carrol Trojan teams were a once in a lifetime thing and aren't coming back. 

Wouldn't surprise me if schools like Cal and or Stanford actually eliminate football in the next 5 to 10 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2021 at 12:46 PM, shawnski said:

Look at the difference of ANY PAC12 game compared to some soccer game in Portland?

More and more reason why Oregon and USC should both join the Big 12. Autzen's crowds are the best in the Pac-12, while they're winning, the Coliseum is a showplace for USC, The Big12 just lost Texas & Oklahoma. 

On 12/30/2021 at 12:54 PM, 30Duck said:

More and more reason why Oregon and USC should both join the Big 12. Autzen's crowds are the best in the Pac-12, while they're winning, the Coliseum is a showplace for USC, The Big12 just lost Texas & Oklahoma. 

Makes sense. The PAC12 likely won't exist in a few years 

On 12/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, shawnski said:

Respectfully disagree

The world has changed and it ain't going back. They canceled the entire season last year without a thought and no one batted an eye.

Those Carrol Trojan teams were a once in a lifetime thing and aren't coming back. 

Wouldn't surprise me if schools like Cal and or Stanford actually eliminate football in the next 5 to 10 years. 

Not in this greybeard's lifetime. Oregon guys McKay and Robinson did just fine at USC.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:53 PM, shawnski said:

Respectfully disagree

SC played 6 games last year, and UCLA played 7.  Most of the cancellations were on their opponent's part.  

SC probably will never get back to Pete era results but there is going to be a significant jump in recruiting and on field results. Probably not as quick and as impressive as what the alum are predicting (they are obnoxiously optimistic). The ones I have talked to see nine wins next year and playoffs in two followed by NC in year three.

If our new coaching staff can get it going it will be entertaining to have both USC and Oregon strong at the same time again. I say this with the hopes that Lincoln Riley is a dismal failure but don't see that happening.

Carroll left USC with 30 stripped scholarships,  2 years banned from bowls, many games and championships vacated.

I have a hard time thinking those were glory years.

• Thumbs Up 1