Charles Fischer

Portal Dumpster Fire at Hawaii (14 players!) has Connections to Oregon

Players are fleeing University of Hawaii as soon as the season ended with the number up to 14 players entering the portal due to accusations of mistreatment and verbal abuse by Head Coach Todd Graham.  It has become so bad that Graham's own son, Michael, is entering the portal!

Report: Current, Former Hawaii Players Detail Alleged Mistreatment and Abuse Under Coach Todd Graham by Ryan Young of Yahoo Sports

Hawaii Football Exodus Continues as DB Michael Graham, Son of Coach Todd Graham, Enters Transfer Portal by David Cobb of CBS Sports

My FishDuck Friends, this is pretty signficant because the following new Oregon Coaches are connected to the Todd Graham, via Arizona State or Hawaii teams.

Dan Lanning Head Coach at Arizona State under Graham

Kenny Dillingham Offensive Coordinator, at Arizona State under Graham

Adrian Klemm new offensive line coach, played at Hawaii, although I do not know if it was during Graham's first HC round at Hawaii.

Joe Loring, new Special Teams Coach, was at Arizona State.

A' Lique Terry offensive analyst, is coming directly to Oregon from Hawaii.

Anything to be concerned about?

ASU's Todd Graham ready to 'tee it up' versus visiting USC - Arizona Sports

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Sounds good to me hopeful we find some gems and older players.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:52 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Players are fleeing University of Hawaii as soon as the season ended with the number up to 14 players entering the portal due to accusations of mistreatment and verbal abuse by Head Coach Todd Graham.  It has become so bad that Graham's own son, Michael, is entering the portal!

Report: Current, Former Hawaii Players Detail Alleged Mistreatment and Abuse Under Coach Todd Graham by Ryan Young of Yahoo Sports

Hawaii Football Exodus Continues as DB Michael Graham, Son of Coach Todd Graham, Enters Transfer Portal by David Cobb of CBS Sports

My FishDuck Friends, this is pretty signficant because the following new Oregon Coaches are connected to the Todd Graham, via Arizona State or Hawaii teams.

Adrian Klemm new offensive line coach, played at Hawaii, although I do not know if it was during Graham's first HC round at Hawaii.

Most our coaches either have a Graham or Mora connection.  This is not a good sign.

I disagree. People are not the same. In fact kids who than have kids don't always turn out like their parents and parent like them.

I certainly hope not. Graham seems like a really damaged, angry person and we haven't seen any rumors of similar behavior from Lanning and Dillingham out of their respective careers so far. That being said, the Oregon staff do have the advantage of youth which often is accompanied by the capacity or enthusiasm to learn and change. 

Edited by kirklandduck

Um, none of our coaches are named Graham. So, why be concerned? Only the analyst has an immediate connection, the rest have been elsewhere since ASU.

Is this story due to a slow news week?

C'mon. Let them screw up first before we get excited. 

Who knows if this matters? I guess we'll find out, once the inevitable everything-Lanning-is-great honeymoon period is over.

Right now, I think the enthusiasm for Lanning and (especially) his hires is a bit higher than warranted.

I saw it as a chance for the connections to provide a player or 2 that could help us rather than an indictment of the coaches

On 12/31/2021 at 4:11 PM, DanLduck said:

Um, none of our coaches are named Graham. So, why be concerned? Only the analyst has an immediate connection, the rest have been elsewhere since ASU.

You are welcome.  The idea is to be informed....and we are putting time and work in for free to provide information.  Is this something important to know, even if nothing comes of it?  I would say so...

If you don't like it--ignore it instead throwing shade on the messenger.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/31/2021 at 4:11 PM, DanLduck said:

I see a pattern of hiring coaches that come from cultures that abuse players.  there is no honeymoon time period for that style of culture.  Questions should be asked it’s entirely appropriate and if any answers are “radical accountability” we all should worry.  Hopefully I am over reacting but by using past information I’m not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I once worked for a lousy boss and left a very good job because of him.  After some others at my level also quit, the lousy boss was canned.  Then the company hired all of us back.

None of us picked up his offensive behaviors.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Absolutely. And when viewed in conjunction with the allegations regarding player abuse and mistreatment by Klemm and Mehringer it's highly concerning. 

We've never been "one of those programs." I'm afraid we may be headed in that direction. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt DL would be promoted, the other coaches also, if they acted in anyway like it's said Graham did.

Maybe the discipline of MC was the reason for some of the team's problems. The kids these days!

On 12/31/2021 at 4:49 PM, OregonRich said:

Absolutely. And when viewed in conjunction with the allegations regarding player abuse and mistreatment by Klemm and Mehringer it's highly concerning. 

This is why I reported it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The only connection to Oregon is that Chip and Helfrich are probably behind a lot of his anger due to him always losing to them.

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2021 at 6:52 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Nah, our new coaches were affiliated with him years ago.  Has there been any indication that he has been like this elsewhere prior to this?  It could just be a toxic situation at UH that is making him crack and lose his ability to be professional.  As someone else stated, has there been any allegation of similar issues with coaches getting hired on DL's staff?  If not, I think it's probably a unique situation based on circumstances within the UH program or possibly his personal life bubbling over into his work.

Edited by DCDuckfan

On 12/31/2021 at 10:17 PM, DCDuckfan said:

Nah, our new coaches were affiliated with him years ago.  Has there been any indication that he has been like this elsewhere prior to this?  It could just be a toxic situation at UH that is making him crack and lose his ability to be professional.  As someone else stated, has there been any allegation of similar issues with coaches getting hired on DL's staff?  If not, I think it's probably a unique situation based on circumstances within the UH program or possibly his personal life bubbling over into his work.

The issue is that there is a pattern of hiring coaches that come from toxic cultures and specifically the hiring of two that have allegations of abuse and mistreatment of players.  This is the type of thing that former players should have written a letter to the AD about and what Jonny C should have reported on. 

• Thanks 1

My gut feel is we could use 7 degrees of separation using “good” Coach Saban, or “bad” coach (fill in the blank) as the point man in today’s coaching world, and the result is meaningless.

Meh.

In the Ryan Young article, it appears that the coaches were targets of Graham’s behavior as much as the players. My hope is that Lanning and his staff learned how not to coach from Graham. Many have had better models to compare, such as Kirby Smart. 

Don't see Lanning as a head case so I presume he will be positive upbeat and there is never ever anything wrong with your coach's showing fire on the sidelines. There's nothing wrong with discipline and people now day's can't fathom people or coach's yelling at players so it's a really sensitive society now days yet these same people watch stuff on TV that would blow your mind. I don't mind a HC chewing players out then again there is no reason to ever have this type of problems within your staff. Geeze his own kid is transferring.