Charles Fischer

Now...Do you think that Cincinnati Belonged?

I think a ton of teams could have made a tougher game for Alabama, but Cincy won the popularity contest to join the Invitational.

Thoughts?

Alabama could cruise...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

They did everything they needed to get there. Doesn’t mean they belonged there.

I'd say they did better than the Chumps er Champs from the Pac 12, Big 10, ACC, or and let's now throw in Big 10.

• Thumbs Up 1

P.S. Happy New Year, peace out.

They were more competitive than Georgia was just a few weeks ago so I'd say yes.  

On 12/31/2021 at 10:57 PM, Steven A said:

Champs from the Pac 12

Utah plays tomorrow... And Utah at the end of the year may be a more worthy team than their record shows. We will just have to see how they handle a semi depleted Ohio state team due to opt outs. 

Cinci belongs as a number 4 team but the sad fact really is that there are probably only three teams that may be playoff worthy... This year I think there are only two in Bama and Georgia. 

Expanding the playoff would probably not change that aspect of college football. More strong teams will change that dynamic... 

So hoping that Clemson comes roaring back (can't believe I just said that), Ohio State gets back on track (or that), Michigan continues to build... And that Oregon under Lanning becomes a real force to be reckoned with. 

And I suppose that USC and Oklahoma can be solid teams too... 

The simple fact of the matter is that there need to be more good to great teams on college football. I think 2020 messed a whole lot of teams up and 2021 was a bit of a mess because of the 2020 aftermath.... So here's hoping that 2022 is a correction and things across the board improve. 

• Thumbs Up 3

They could have had 16 teams in playoffs made more money and raised hopes of a bunch of fans and it would have ended up Bama and Georgia.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I think Cincy deserved to be there as much as anybody. Currently Ga and Bama are by far the 2 best college teams and were going to beat just about any other team out there.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, whether Cincy deserved to be there or not is a topic to truly ponder.

Point is they got there. They ran thru their schedule and got it done. I for one like any team that beats the Domers. When's the last time a G5 like PAC team beat the Domers?

Scoreboard matters.

Blue bloods like tOSU and OU didn't have scoreboard. If either of those teams had 1 loss then Cincy is out.

It still is a beauty contest and every now and then a beauty from the wrong side of the tracks walks in the room.

Hec Cincy and Houston would have won their fair share of PAC games. Both would have probably beat the true PAC champ. BYU.......

• Thumbs Up 1

An undefeated season is reason enough for them to be there. 

Several years ago tOSU shouldn't have been there. They didn't even win their conference.

Then first game as #4 seed they beat mighty #1 seed Bama. Then they beat #2 us in championship game.

I believe it's the only #4 seed to win it all. I know it's tOSU not Cincinnati but it still shows an underdog can win it all.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's usually Alabama +1 that is dominant in football year after year. The rest are usually distant 3rd... 4th... Alabama has players that have never seen the field that would beat 98% of the starting units in the CFB. 

Saban gets these kids to buy into the process and have patience. Most other teams lose these kids to portal if not on the field second year. Sabins kids wait for their opportunity and then shine when called.

MC  lacked the coaching skill to coach up these kids early in the process. Failed to get them to buy into the process,  and ultimately failed to put these kids in position to succeed on the field at a high level. I know, 10 wins. I watched every game... pfft!

• Thumbs Up 2

247 Sports Team Talent Rankings: 1 Georgia 2 Alabama

Coached up 3 stars will win the AAC but not a playoff title. The difference on the LOS vs Bama was obvious.

Georgia was overconfident vs Bama and returned to play like UGA last night. UGA was the far more athletic team vs Michigan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who so far, by their bowl performance, has shown they belong more than Cincinnati? 

Maybe someone playing today will show they had an argument. 

On 1/1/2022 at 4:50 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Hec Cincy and Houston would have won their fair share of PAC games.

Maybe? As crappy as the Pac is, it still manages to dash the hopes of any team trying to make the playoffs...Preparing to play one or two teams a year isn't a big deal (UO v tOSU) but the season grind is different. I don't think either of those teams make it through a nine game schedule here unscathed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2022 at 6:12 AM, Log Haulin said:

It's usually Alabama +1 that is dominant in football year after year. The rest are usually distant 3rd... 4th... Alabama has players that have never seen the field that would beat 98% of the starting units in the CFB. 

Sabin gets these kids to buy into the process and have patience. Most other teams lose these kids to portal if not on the field second year. Sabins kids wait for their opportunity and then shine when called.

MC  lacked the coaching skill to coach up these kids early in the process. Failed to get them to buy into the process,  and ultimately failed to put these kids in position to succeed on the field at a high level. I know, 10 wins. I watched every game... pfft!

Its called two all star teams. If all Power 5 conference Champs can field good talent like 22 good talent then maybe we can see kind of like the NFL format in the playoff's. We also need to remember that a QB a starter can get injured and then his replacement isn't so good and the pressure from the defense makes him  throw picks and then your on a somewhat even field. I believe if you have a great QB anything is possible. I mean yeah more than likely BAMA is gonna be champs. Lanning needs to change this at Oregon and hopefully he does.

I would gladly play Cincinnati's schedule.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 10:28 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I think a ton of teams could have made a tougher game for Alabama, but Cincy won the popularity contest to join the Invitational.

Thoughts?

Alabama could cruise...

giphy.gif

One thing I would think the PAC could do differently is have one less game in beating up on each other. The SEC doesn't do it so why should the PAC. Cats gotta love them and we have two oof the coolest lap cats. They do some pretty remarkable stuff. The thing that makes me wonder about the being able to transfer out is this we know BAMA is loaded heck look at the big kid Jones that just transferred out to Auburn. A 4 star that wasn't ranked that high yet the kid got on the field at Oregon freshman year and made a difference.

Doesn't anyone think there might be a few 4 and maybe even 5 stars that are buried on their roster that could help Oregon? Just a thought and Fish you can answer this in a editorial brother. So help us all out with that deep football knowledge with this FA that they call transfer portal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cincinnati deserved to be in the game because they did during the season what has become standard for making the CFP: went undefeated all year.  That is an incredibly difficult thing to do, as all Duck fans know.  On any given Saturday, there is always a chance for an upset, which is why navigating the minefield of a competitive schedule (emphasis on ‘competitive’) should be rewarded.  It’s one of the reasons we love the game so much.  

It’s also one the best reasons for an expanded play-off, either to 8 teams or preferably 16.  It introduces a greater chance for the occasional upset that provides fans excitement.  And it will eventually help introduce some parity across the country if more teams can say to recruits, yes, you have a chance to play for a championship with us.  

I don’t think any team that was left out of the top 4 would’ve fared any better against Alabama or Georgia. The result would’ve still been a decisive victory for both of those teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

Without an expanded playoff, expect more of the same. College football today is much like basketball was In UCLA's heyday when only conference champions made the tourney. Even a 27-3 second place USC missed out as did all those great Kamikazie Kid teams the Ducks had in the 70's. Alabama is the new UCLA and the UGA's and tOSUs are their Kansas and North Carolina equivalents.

When basketball expanded the field, more teams had a shot and March Madness was born. If football doesn't do the same, 99% of teams will just be wasting their time and fan interest will wane. You already see the apathy setting in for both fans and players towards the bowls.

• Thumbs Up 5

Great post, Kamikaze Kid, the Oregon team had to settle for the NIT, which actually wasn't too bad, 50 years ago. Gad, 50 years ago?

But. more to the point, I love college basketball season. It's not as fun this year, with the Ducks struggling. But March Madness is my favorite time of the year. I don't care who the teams are in the 3-14 game, I watch it, and now with 4 different networks carrying the games, you can watch some of every game!

But College football has the 4 game Invitational, of the same teams every year. Wow

I think this game showed the chasm that exists between programs that recruit well, have a great coach, a great system, and have loads of talent in the 2/3 deep subs versus a team that may have a few star players, a good coach, a good system, and their talent drops off in the 2/3 deep.

Cincinnati was able to hang with Alabama for a time.  When fatigue started to set in, Cincinnati could not match the talent level of Alabama's subs.

• Thumbs Up 1

One could ask the same regarding Michigan.  At this point doesn’t matter who else you could’ve thrown into the mix.  Georgia and Bama are in a league of their own.   

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/1/2022 at 4:50 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Well, whether Cincy deserved to be there or not is a topic to truly ponder.

Point is they got there. They ran thru their schedule and got it done. I for one like any team that beats the Domers. When's the last time a G5 like PAC team beat the Domers?

Scoreboard matters.

Blue bloods like tOSU and OU didn't have scoreboard. If either of those teams had 1 loss then Cincy is out.

It still is a beauty contest and every now and then a beauty from the wrong side of the tracks walks in the room.

Hec Cincy and Houston would have won their fair share of PAC games. Both would have probably beat the true PAC champ. BYU.......

Six points.  Says everything one can say about the prospects of G5 teams having a shot at competing with the real boys.  

I'm not going to sugarcoat it.  They had absolutely no business in the playoff.  None. 

I've said this consistently for years.  Football doesn't reward Cinderellas.  They lack depth, they lack ability.  It angers me there is even discussion about it being fair to include them.  Frankly Scarlett, it is an insult.  

They're extremely lucky Bama is stunningly horrific at running the ball.  I seriously don't want to hear another word about the qualifications of G5 teams.  They are beyond unqualified.  

It was predictable, and everybody knows it. All one had to do was watch this year's Cinci v. Indiana game to realize Cinci was going to get throttled by ANY true playoff candidate ( not simply the entrants, but the authentic top ten teams in college football).  

The only thing more upsetting is the PAC12 is heading towards G5 status.  Rapidly.  We better beat down BYU next year, or I'm going to start acting like Marvin the Martian.  That's how little respect I have for the G5. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, Mike West said:

They're extremely lucky Bama is stunningly horrific at running the ball.

Mike, I'm with you across the board on this, except about Alabama's running game. The Tide rolled for 301 yards on the ground against the Bearcats. 

On 1/1/2022 at 10:50 AM, 30Duck said:

Mike, I'm with you across the board on this, except about Alabama's running game. The Tide rolled for 301 yards on the ground against the Bearcats. 

Can you imagine if they actually had a running game?  Alabama is 84th in the nation this year running the ball.  They doubled their average per game yesterday.  

They wouldn't have needed to pass the ball if they had their usual prolific running game in other words.  

I seethe like a pressure cooker at any discussion the G5 is qualified to play for a national title.

On 1/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mike West said:

Can you imagine if they actually had a running game?  Alabama is 84th in the nation this year running the ball.

Ah, great research on your part!  Your seething toward the G5 and the Committee is validated by this game.  The "Cinderella" doesn't work in football. But the Committee didn't care, they let Cincy crash the party.

Well we all have our feelings and opinions on it, for sure. Truly, nothing will change on the discussion of should a G5 team belong or should a G5 team not belong in the CFP.

One thing is certain.......

I am tired of barely being part of the CFP discussion.  Let's just get there and be a player.

Tired of being all dressed up and not getting to go to the dance.

Here's to Coach Lanning and his staff to getting the Ducks on the dance floor.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

This is a major problem with limited playoff births. With a 12-16 team field, the posers get revealed early. An undefeated team does deserve in or what's the point of even pretending the the system isn't rigged. Cincy should have to prove they belonged by winning a 6-11 type match up. Get past that and then it's on to a 3-6 game. Win that and you've earned a spot in the final four.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

The argument could be made that at this time in history only Georgia and Alabama belong.  An easy way to fix the problem is to have the SEC have their own “national championship” and the rest of the conferences consolidate to 8 conferences.  We take our money they take theirs.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, 30Duck said:
On 1/1/2022 at 1:58 PM, Mike West said:

Can you imagine if they actually had a running game?  Alabama is 84th in the nation this year running the ball.

Ah, great research on your part!  Your seething toward the G5 and the Committee is validated by this game.  The "Cinderella" doesn't work in football. But the Committee didn't care, they let Cincy crash the party.

So, if Bama had a top five rushing attack like Air Force, Army, Kent State, Nothern Ill., or North Texas this game would have been completely out-of-hand? 

The Tide is 4th in pts./game, top ten in passing yards, and pretty sure they have a QB that collected some nice hardware this year.  For them the running game is slightly more than window dressing.

Bama ran more in this game cuz Tressel uses a lot of 3-3-5 sets, Metchie is done, like it or not a G5 DB (Coby Bryant) was dubbed the best DB (Jim Thorpe Award) in college football, and yes, Bama had a size advantage (nothing new here).

Just like Dean Smith was the only person to hold MJ to under 20 per game, Bill O’Brien is the reason Bama doesn’t run the ball.  The only time in the first half Bama got behind the sticks was when Billy O. got pass happy.  Cincinnati’s staff was actually counting on that. 

Big question is, if not Cincy then who?   Next in line was ND who was soundly defeated by Cincy on their home field.  I’m not a perennial believer in G5 teams, but Cincy did have a bunch of 5th and 6th year players, guys who will be drafted, and a QB that many feel is a day one draft pick (I personally don’t, but I’m not a scout).  Any alternative would have been dealt the same fate.

This is all speculative, coffee shop, garbage talk anyway.  Bigger concern is how the heck can Oregon close the gap between the product they put on the field and what we saw in two games yesterday?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/1/2022 at 11:56 AM, Jester said:

Bigger concern is how the heck can Oregon close the gap between the product they put on the field and what we saw in two games yesterday?

I do think that Oregon made a move in that direction by hiring Georgia's DC. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Cincinnati got in because there are that many voters who wanted to rub THE Ohio State’s nose in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard to judge from only one game.

Did Michigan show that they belonged last night?  Hard to judge from only one game.

Right now Utah is making Tosu look somewhat pedestrian. Maybe all the champs deserve to be in it.

What is going to happen in the championship game???? 

Hopefully, that Alabama didn't belong.

On 1/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, Pocketchange said:

The argument could be made that at this time in history only Georgia and Alabama belong.  An easy way to fix the problem is to have the SEC have their own “national championship” and the rest of the conferences consolidate to 8 conferences.  We take our money they take theirs.  

The only problem I have with that is the SEC IS GEORGIA AND BAMA.

The rest of the conference isn't really that much better than the rest of the nation.  They hide this by ducking strong teams in the regular season.  

Does anyone think A&M can handle Ohio State in September?  Oklahoma? Clemson?  I certainly don't.  

Every year two or three SEC teams are a cut above, and they use the rankings of the rest to bolster their conference.  I've been complaining about this since USC trashed Auburn in 2002 and 2003.  

For the most part, only five or six teams have what it takes each year to win the title.  We don't figure that out to mid November.  But I know this, the SEC is fraudulent.  Just a mirage.  

The SEC isn't a standalone product.  ESecPN knows this.  Perhaps the Alliance will destroy the narrative the SEC is the premiere conference.  Perhaps not.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, Mike West said:

But I know this, the SEC is fraudulent.  Just a mirage.  

The trouble is that the SEC knows how to work the system. Alabama is so much better than anybody else it's ridiculous. But, LSU, Florida, Auburn have won championships recently enough, and A;abama fell asleep and A & M beat them this season,

Not only do they have the 8 game schedule, they also make sure that Alabama and Auburn always play, and Georgia & Florida, But the top teams don't play each other all the time, so the top 5 or 6 teams will be highly ranked all season.

So, I don't know if it's a mirage so much as a well constructed plan to monopolize the sport. 

Cut the SEC out, gather all the rest, install a 16 team playoff. Tell ESPN to pack sand, easy.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:02 PM, Mike West said:

The only problem I have with that is the SEC IS GEORGIA AND BAMA.

The rest of the conference isn't really that much better than the rest of the nation.  They hide this by ducking strong teams in the regular season.  

Does anyone think A&M can handle Ohio State in September?  Oklahoma? Clemson?  I certainly don't.  

Every year two or three SEC teams are a cut above, and they use the rankings of the rest to bolster their conference.  I've been complaining about this since USC trashed Auburn in 2002 and 2003.  

For the most part, only five or six teams have what it takes each year to win the title.  We don't figure that out to mid November.  But I know this, the SEC is fraudulent.  Just a mirage.  

The SEC isn't a standalone product.  ESecPN knows this.  Perhaps the Alliance will destroy the narrative the SEC is the premiere conference.  Perhaps not.

After the divorce from the other divisions, that would be their problem.  Every division champion would be in our playoff and the SEC can do whatever they want.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, 30Duck said:

The trouble is that the SEC knows how to work the system. Alabama is so much better than anybody else it's ridiculous. But, LSU, Florida, Auburn have won championships recently enough, and A;abama fell asleep and A & M beat them this season,

Not only do they have the 8 game schedule, they also make sure that Alabama and Auburn always play, and Georgia & Florida, But the top teams don't play each other all the time, so the top 5 or 6 teams will be highly ranked all season.

So, I don't know if it's a mirage so much as a well constructed plan to monopolize the sport. 

When it comes to college football,, the SEC actually is that much better than every other conference out there. 

And especially our beloved PAC12.

Edited by Desert Duck

That's why the SEC and BIGget the big bucks from TV. More people want to watch them and the best recruits playing. So they get the best recruits. It's the loop of power. No way around it.