FishDuck Article

Oregon Football: Lanning Doing Work for Rousing Offseason

Let’s be honest. If Mario Cristobal were returning to Eugene for a fifth season, this time of year would be pretty drab. After four years, Oregon football fans finally knew what to expect from the Miami native and they weren’t necessarily SUPER STOKED about what they were seeing. Looking back, the hopeful justifications in the run-up to a new season ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Loved it. Especially the Adams hiring Hit the fuskies with another gut punch.

Jordan thanks for summarizing all that has transpired since Coach Lanning took over as Duck footballs Top Chef..

As a youngster, I would watch my Mom or Nana add their ingredients to whatever wonderful dish they were cooking..

The excitement and anticipation sometimes were just too much. But the results of their efforts were worth the wait. Them sweet ladies were Top Chefs........ 

Coach Lanning is definitely cooking something special. Looking forward to see what additional ingredients he adds to the mix.

With February signing day and spring ball right around the corner, this off season has my full attention.

Others on this forum have mentioned that our previous coach usually won the off season. I must admit that he could get top level ingredients to cook.

But he just wasn't a great chef and never will be a Top Chef.........

Let's hope Coach Lanning and his staff develop into Top Chefs........

• Thumbs Up 3

While I hated the idea the program was beginning to be defined as merely a recruiting powerhouse, I also appreciated the effort. What Mario did in 4 years was impressive. From all indications what Dan Lanning is doing is equally or more impressive, as you make the case for.

I think the scary part for me is will the Oregon faithful be too quick to define Dan as another Mario? Notre Dame has a young coach who arguably blew his bowl game. What if Dan shows his youthfulness, and makes mistakes which echo things we saw with Mario? Will the Oregon fans begin to boo Bo Nix, a three and out? We could definitely start the season 1-2, very easily. That would include to a team whose coach we didn't hire.

Dan Lanning is going to give it his all. It is amazing to see him do two jobs right now, and pretty well. The question will be what kind of growing pains will he have as he takes over the head coaching duties? 

I am a little concerned there is no one with head coaching experience within this staff. I know there will be a learning curve, but the Oregon fanbase has proven it isn't as patient as it once was.

I hope Dan comes up with 10 plus wins out of the gate, but the real question is what if he doesn't? Can the Oregon Football Program get behind a coach who seems to be putting the program behind where a coach they questioned was.

I agree I am excited about everyone thing I hear out of the Dan Lanning era. The problem is the rubber really hits the road once the season starts. We are no longer happy to win the recruiting wars, or just win 10 games. That fascination is over, the program expects big things, now.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/2/2022 at 2:00 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Let’s be honest. If Mario Cristobal were returning to Eugene for a fifth season, this time of year would be pretty drab. After four years, Oregon football fans finally knew what to expect from the Miami native and they weren’t necessarily SUPER STOKED about what they were seeing. Looking back, the hopeful justifications in the run-up to a new season ...

Source

Read the full article here...

YES can I get a Duck and raise you 10 5th star Ducks! I am stoked and I kid you not to see Mr Flowe stay and this is to me huge. The guy has Ray Lewis qualities and no disrespect against Noah Justin is just a different animal. I've seen the film of the guy and it just wreaks of assassin and with him and Sewell and all these other studs and I mean I've seen the LB roster for lets just say quite a few years now and they have a lot of talent there as well as at Defensive Back never before seen here in Eugene. I just pray to GOD that he can play for everybody to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/2/2022 at 7:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

While I hated the idea the program was beginning to be defined as merely a recruiting powerhouse, I also appreciated the effort. What Mario did in 4 years was impressive. From all indications what Dan Lanning is doing is equally or more impressive, as you make the case for.

I think the scary part for me is will the Oregon faithful be too quick to define Dan as another Mario? Notre Dame has a young coach who arguably blew his bowl game. What if Dan shows his youthfulness, and makes mistakes which echo things we saw with Mario? Will the Oregon fans begin to boo Bo Nix, a three and out? We could definitely start the season 1-2, very easily. That would include to a team whose coach we didn't hire.

Dan Lanning is going to give it his all. It is amazing to see him do two jobs right now, and pretty well. The question will be what kind of growing pains will he have as he takes over the head coaching duties? 

I am a little concerned there is no one with head coaching experience within this staff. I know there will be a learning curve, but the Oregon fanbase has proven it isn't as patient as it once was.

I hope Dan comes up with 10 plus wins out of the gate, but the real question is what if he doesn't? Can the Oregon Football Program get behind a coach who seems to be putting the program behind where a coach they questioned was.

I agree I am excited about everyone thing I hear out of the Dan Lanning era. The problem is the rubber really hits the road once the season starts. We are no longer happy to win the recruiting wars, or just win 10 games. That fascination is over, the program expects big things, now.

Great stuff Heyward and yes this roster is built for a run into the Playoff's and it's still the QB position we really have no clue about and that hopefully will work itself out. Remember Nix and Lanning know Georgia so like the OS game if you want any upset of a team of the Bulldogs capabilities then the first game should be your gunning point to victory. Oregon is loaded and I like our chances and hopefully we can just keep it in house and not betaking games like this. Its like scheduling BAMA your first game, not wise. Heck we couldn't even beat Utah twice.

10 win season shouldn't be a problem but can Duck fans be happy with say only 10 wins because that just isn't going to get your team in and it's his job now to do this and the Man needs to come out of the shute red hot and Rollin. OH we used to have a Blazer rant like that in the good ol days. Honestly HD we are really loaded so I say I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we win back the PAC 12 and get back into the playoff's. Now does anyone know how many teams the playoff's will have?

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 6:41 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Jordan thanks for summarizing all that has transpired since Coach Lanning took over as Duck footballs Top Chef..

As a youngster, I would watch my Mom or Nana add their ingredients to whatever wonderful dish they were cooking..

The excitement and anticipation sometimes were just too much. But the results of their efforts were worth the wait. Them sweet ladies were Top Chefs........ 

Coach Lanning is definitely cooking something special. Looking forward to see what additional ingredients he adds to the mix.

With February signing day and spring ball right around the corner, this off season has my full attention.

Others on this forum have mentioned that our previous coach usually won the off season. I must admit that he could get top level ingredients to cook.

But he just wasn't a great chef and never will be a Top Chef.........

Let's hope Coach Lanning and his staff develop into Top Chefs........

Hey we need a greta coah Nana!

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 4:36 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Loved it. Especially the Adams hiring Hit the fuskies with another gut punch.

They are melting over there. One thing I just don't understand like on 247s site the posters on there are so enamored always with what goes on the Husky site. Its hilarious how worried all these people are about the Mutts. All's I know is that these two programs couldn't be farther apart. That's all I need to know and I feel like they deserve everything they get and they won't be relevant for a while again. I do love the turmoil on their site and it's always worth a good laugh and I myself just can't get myself to even want to think Husky and that "UGLY " Purple.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 8:25 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:and it's always worth a good laugh and I myself just can't get myself to even want to think Husky and that "UGLY " Purple.

Hooker gold and prostitute purple, hard not to get sick when you see it.

• Haha 1

It may prove beneficial in the end to have slack (open slots) in the roster. The new coaches will have time to understand the players they inherited, assess needs, and find and attract the best fitting players to their schemes.

I think we fans will be pleasantly surprised and optimistic by the revised roster when spring practice begins.

Now, can the new coaches motivate, teach. and coach as a unified staff? September won't come fast enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario did less with the talent of the roster than I imagined possible? He came close to destroying the brand,. He won a bad conference twice and got blown out by a Utah team with no where near the roster talent twice. I give him credit for recruiting and that's it.

Happy to have Lanning on board. Like the staff. Now recruit like heck and make solid use of the portal.  Michigan State was the champ of the Peach Bowl and Baylor won the Sugar Bowl because of the portal and upgraded coaching. Amazing turn around for both schools from 2020 to 2021.

On 1/2/2022 at 11:05 AM, Notalot said:

I think we fans will be pleasantly surprised and optimistic by the revised roster when spring practice begins.

I completely agree; this Lanning guy is quite the mover-and-shaker!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/2/2022 at 8:18 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Great stuff Heyward and yes this roster is built for a run into the Playoff's and it's still the QB position we really have no clue about and that hopefully will work itself out. Remember Nix and Lanning know Georgia so like the OS game if you want any upset of a team of the Bulldogs capabilities then the first game should be your gunning point to victory. Oregon is loaded and I like our chances and hopefully we can just keep it in house and not betaking games like this. Its like scheduling BAMA your first game, not wise. Heck we couldn't even beat Utah twice.

10 win season shouldn't be a problem but can Duck fans be happy with say only 10 wins because that just isn't going to get your team in and it's his job now to do this and the Man needs to come out of the shute red hot and Rollin. OH we used to have a Blazer rant like that in the good ol days. Honestly HD we are really loaded so I say I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we win back the PAC 12 and get back into the playoff's. Now does anyone know how many teams the playoff's will have?

Next year QB1 will define the team that Lanning inherits.

We have a solid base of talented players that are returning. With a veteran offensive line to protect our new QB, and open lanes for the RB’s, I would expect that we will be a pretty good team. 

On 1/2/2022 at 9:41 AM, PittDuck said:

Hooker gold and prostitute purple, hard not to get sick when you see it.

Those are exactly the colors I just finished mopping off the bathroom floor...

• Haha 1