30Duck

Ducks Beat the Utes 79-66

It took a while, but Will Richardson finally had a game you expected from a pre-season 1st Team selection; 26 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, Jacob Young, 22 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists.

How it happened: Oregon Ducks Pick Up First Conference Win With 79-66 Defeat Over Utah

Zachary Neel Ducks Wire

image.jpeg.e55b28cc52331b390b1fef792136a7f1.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Go Ducks! Win the PAC!

Even Don McLean analyst with PAC ntwk said he thinks this game is the turning point for the Ducks.

The game was reminiscent of the games we're used to see from Altman's teams. It was close for a while, then all of a sudden the Ducks turned on the intensity on defense and what was a 4 point game turned into a 10 point lead. 

Jacob Young, and D’vion Harmon continue to show that they are better suited as point guards than Richardson.  Richardson is better as off-guard.  Young and Harmon might both be more talented than Richardson.  Young might be more likely for pro potential…….

Yeah, Young can drive on pretty much any defender at any time, and has a nice shot. However, don't sleep on Will - we really need him if we're going to go anywhere this year. Will doesn't seem as quick but that's just because he's smooth. If he keeps up his 3 point shooting and further develops his leadership, I see at least a 2nd round NBA draft pick.

Edited by Graziani93

I am impressed with the athletic talent on this year's team, But we dribble to much and don't get the ball inside enough. Even if only to have it come right back. Our effort against Baylor was great. Lack of execution not talent got us in the end. Looking forward to see how the season progresses. 

Love everything about Will's game EXCEPT his lack of quickness. That was never more apparent than in the Houston loss earlier this season. (Sadly, John Wooden used to say that basketball was "first and foremost a game of quickness.") I also really like what I've seen so far this year from Jacob Young--aggressive defense and smooth offensive player. Frankly, I've not been particularly impressed so far with Guerrier or Harmon. And, I've never been particularly excited about Williams, either. Hoping Dante and Kepnang continue to get playing time and develop; they can combine to give the Ducks a solid core to their defense.

Among the bench players, though, I've been most impressed with Soares' all-around skills, hoping he develops a bit like Duarte. And, Biddle is beginning to show his 5-star talent. I'm hoping his minutes continue to creep up because you can see flashes of his star potential when he plays.  I hope Don McLean is right about this being the starting point of what this team can do. With Coach Altman, there's always faith and hope that he can coach up players to get the maximum out of their talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Among the bench players, though, I've been most impressed with Soares' all-around skills, hoping he develops a bit like Duarte

Cool, I've appreciated Soares' game as well, and Bittle has had great plays at both ends of the court every game. With each game, he and the other players are forming that cohesion that Altman's teams count on, 

Would make a great FB score, LOL...