Desert Duck

Justin Herbert -- And the "WOW" Factor Continues

2021-22 Season... so far:

4,631 yards / 67% completion rate / 35 TDs (best in Charger history)

I sure am glad he got really-really good just after graduation. The Oregon coaches did a good job disguising him as an average QB his senior year 😉.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 4:39 PM, Desert Duck said:

I sure am glad he got really-really good just after graduation. The Oregon coaches did a good job disguising him as an average QB his senior year 😉.

Nice one! I'm laughing through gritted teeth.

• Thumbs Up 2

Justin is probably grateful,  moved him back in the draft. He might have been a Bengal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

His being misused by Oregon has saved his pro career... Chances are he would have gone to a horrible team and floundered... I wish him continued success and don't lament his days at Oregon at all..

• Thumbs Up 2

It is sure fun to watch the local boy from Eugene light up the NFL!

• Thumbs Up 3

Good warning for all future Miami QB recruits.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/2/2022 at 5:46 PM, Log Haulin said:

Justin is probably grateful,  moved him back in the draft. He might have been a Bengal. 

I bet nobody is more grateful than Justin 

I can't think of a better situation and coach for the kid in the entire NFL. I'm certainly not arguing that it hasn't worked out spectacularly for him -- and I couldn't be happier for the kid.

I'm just trying to figure out how Oregon made this 2nd year NFL All Pro QB look so dog-gone mediocre his senior season. This is a kid who, at this rate anyway, has all the potential to go on and be one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks in history. And there's absolutely no hyperbole in that statement. 

Making a once-in-a-generation kid of his caliber look at best average, obviously took some serious and special coaching to accomplish.

But thankfully, I'm thinking that in order to solve this mystery, we'd have to look about 3,000 miles south to a school that goes by the name, "University of Miami."

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Never have seen a QB stretch the field like Herbert has in just his first two years in the NFL. His highlight reel in the NFL is already incredible to watch. I hope he gets his championship ring.

• Thumbs Up 4

And I get to watch the Falcons! Bummer!

2019 - Should have ben a playoff team, won the semi and played for a tile.

Only Dean Smith could hold down Michael Jordon and only Mario could hold down Justin.

In your face McShade!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Only Dean Smith could hold down Michael Jordon and only Mario could hold down Justin"

LOL. And isn't that the truth. 

It's quite special when the best lock-down defensive guy on your team is your coach. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 1

GO HERBIE!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks goes out to MC and his staff for coaching down a potential Heisman winner.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, Desert Duck said:

I bet nobody is more grateful than Justin 

I can't think of a better situation and coach for the kid in the entire NFL. I'm certainly not arguing that it hasn't worked out spectacularly for him -- and I couldn't be happier for the kid.

I'm just trying to figure out how Oregon made this 2nd year NFL All Pro QB look so dog-gone mediocre his senior season. This is a kid who, at this rate anyway, has all the potential to go on and be one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks in history. And there's absolutely no hyperbole in that statement. 

Making a once-in-a-generation kid of his caliber look at best average, obviously took some serious and special coaching to accomplish.

But thankfully, I'm thinking that in order to solve this mystery, we'd have to look about 3,000 miles south to a school that goes by the name, "University of Miami."

So if you believe in a Higher Power, Not named Mario or Goodell, you can see that fate, sure, let him be average in skill level in college with poor evaluations from the talking heads in sports.  Once on his own to train and have opportunities to showcase his knowledge and skills to be picked up by a team whom he admired as a youth.  Destiny.  Opportunity.  Character.  He is doing it as a leader of a team with a lot of good parts, team mates and coaching.  May he have a long and successful career.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Oregon coaches did a good job disguising him as an average QB his senior year

Why do so many people say this?  JH didn't have NFL caliber WRs at Oregon to display his true prowess.  

I'm just going to have to write an analysis article to settle this for good.  And the evidence is there.  

There wasn't a single year JH had the kind of talent at Oregon that he has in LA.  Point blank.  And I'm going to prove it. 

I'm tired of this argument because MC has his flaws.  To much bias is going on.  And the biggest evidence is all over Charger highlights.

There isn't a single Oregon WR in 2019 that caught up to JH's passes the way LA WRs do. I dare anyone to prove it otherwise.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I welcome your article. Admittedly, I've even been wrong once... maybe twice, before. But let's keep that between us.

I look truly forward to reading your well reasoned article.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/2/2022 at 6:18 PM, Mike West said:

Why do so many people say this?  JH didn't have NFL caliber WRs at Oregon to display his true prowess.  

I'm just going to have to write an analysis article to settle this for good.  And the evidence is there.  

There wasn't a single year JH had the kind of talent at Oregon that he has in LA.  Point blank.  And I'm going to prove it. 

I'm tired of this argument because MC has his flaws.  To much bias is going on.  And the biggest evidence is all over Charger highlights.

There isn't a single Oregon WR in 2019 that caught up to JH's passes the way LA WRs do. I dare anyone to prove it otherwise.

Oregon has had very few receivers that have played regularly on Sundays.

Herbert’s receivers while he was at Oregon did struggle.  However, Herbert singlehandedly got Dillon Mitchell drafted.

Didn't need NFL caliber. WR's .  He wasn't going against pro defenses .

On 1/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, srf1957 said:

But he did need receivers who could hang onto the ball.  From an O-Live preview of the 2019 WR group, emphasis added 

"Outlook: On one hand, it’ll be difficult for the top end of Oregon’s receiving corps to match the production of Mitchell last season. On the other, it’ll be hard for the group to be as inconsistent and at times downright poor as it was last season.

The Ducks led the country with 52 drops last season. That’s inexplicable."

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems I recall Taggart took all the 4 star receivers with him when he skulked off to FSU. JH had Mitchell and Carrington for awhile but not much else.  

On 1/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, srf1957 said:

Exactly.

And they still couldn't get open. Why would you throw to a covered WR?

Justin was the Josh Allen of the draft. Josh played for Wyoming and didn't have the receivers, nor the coaching to bring out the talent he had. 

The true talent scouts saw what each of these college qb's had, and didn't have in their programs. Justin languished under Cristoball, like all of our qb's have since, but no more!

On 1/6/2022 at 12:04 AM, Mike West said:

Exactly.

And they still couldn't get open. Why would you throw to a covered WR?

Pro qb's do it all the time, but they expect the receiver to adjust and catch the ball! Justin just kept throwing and the Oregon receivers just kept dropping the passes.

On 1/2/2022 at 5:56 PM, EzDucksIt said:

So if you believe in a Higher Power, Not named Mario or Goodell, you can see that fate, sure, let him be average in skill level in college with poor evaluations from the talking heads in sports.  Once on his own to train and have opportunities to showcase his knowledge and skills to be picked up by a team whom he admired as a youth.  Destiny.  Opportunity.  Character.  He is doing it as a leader of a team with a lot of good parts, team mates and coaching.  May he have a long and successful career.

We should know what the Chargers off season should be about. Making that defense 100 % better. Draft should should be all about making that D a top 10 unit and this is the only thing really holding this team back. Don't know what their money structure is but hopefully they are well below the Cap so they can bring in some difference makers at defense. Go Chargers and man that is a cool stadium. I just wish that was in San Diego.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a former high school receiver, I can attest to the difficulty in catching high spinning footballs thrown by a tall QB with MLB fastball velocity.  

After an easy one spun through my hands on the first series of our first game, David Norrie grabbed me by the face mask in the huddle, looked me in the eyes and said “that’s the only drop you get chief.”

David went on to QB a UCLA team to a PAC 10 championship and a Rose Bowl berth.

I don’t recall dropping another catchable pass that season.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah yes, still keeping this old argument alive, I love it.

Does anybody really think it was 100% on the WR's? While having mediocre WR's certianly didn't help things, MC's predictable and easy to defend offense was the greater culprit. 

So, I'll concede, the answer is both, I blame Mario more than the wr's, some blame the wr's more than Mario.

But, 100% on the wr's? No way. 

• Thanks 2