FishDuck Article

An Open Letter to Dan Lanning and Kenny Dillingham: Bring Back the Oregon Brand!

My FishDuck Friends, it is my earnest hope that this message reaches Head Coach Dan Lanning and Offensive Coordinator Kenny Dillingham, as what I am writing represents the feelings and hopes of hundreds of thousands loyal Oregon fans. We want to see a return to the Oregon Brand, which consists of an offense that is high scoring and very entertaining ...

Read the full article here...

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good article, again, Charles,  but WHEN do you sleep 😴???

I would add, build it, don't just boast about it. Coach Lanning, the sincerity and willingness to come across straight is refreshing. If it looks like it is going to take a while, a few quarters, games, seasons, to get this done don't switch into telling us what we want to hear. 

I love hearing about how difficult something is going to be and then seeing somebody overdeliver. The opposite will drive this fanbase nuts. The Oregon fanbase has been through a long process to success. We can work through some tough times, with the bright yellow glow off in the distance. 

I will diverge from Charles charge that our DNA doesn't include a Georgia type defense, never settle for reasonable. If an elite defense is what you want, don't stop trying, change our DNA. Bring in the big bodies, the 5*'s and make it happen. I actually think the Pac-12 would buckle under a tough defense like Georgia. That is your difference from Riley down at sc. They will try and be all offense and you can destruct sc with defense and our offense.

I mean 4 of our top 12 recruits all-time were on the defensive side of the ball this season. We lose Thibs, but you bring in Cyrus Moss, a few others and you are on your way. Don't give up on your dream, if that is the defense you had at Georgia!

The main item is bring speed back to Oregon. Hopefully you have toured Hayward Field by now and talked to Robert Johnson. Create some synergies which had occurred between the track program and the football team. That is an amazing tool, use it. That is what the Oregon brand use to be, speed kills!

Most importantly recruit and develop the skill players on offense. There is plenty of room in the Oregon Program for more Heisman's and National Championship Trophies. The sky is the limit while you are at Oregon, but keep your feet in Nike's and firmly planted on the ground!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Both offense and defense philosophy is simple:

“When you find your opponents weak spot- HAMMER IT!”

John Heisman.

Charles thanks for this article.      

Once the 2022 recruiting cycle is completed next month, along with utilizing the transfer portal, Coach Lanning should be installing his program and processes.

With this being his first HC in college football we as fans were able to see his defensive schemes firsthand against Michigan. Better yet we get to see how he makes adjustments against Bama in the Natty.

As mentioned above, if he brings in the talent on defense we see he can coach the D players well.

As for the offense...........

Whatever Coach Dillingham runs is what we will get. Good, bad, exciting or boring.

We can only hope that Coach Lanning is open minded and will change what is not working on offense.

The last coach was as stubborn as they come. Future Duck players watching Duck games were probably not wowed.

Excitement brings exciting players.

With all the confusion around the program this year I may have missed this.... Were their any 5* running backs, QB's and receivers lining up to come play here? If they were, well I missed it.

Remember, we are going to see our new HC develope, build and grow right before our eyes. Also his staff 

I just hope that Coach Lanning and Coach Dillingham at least ask themselves.....

What kind of schemes and plays did Oregon run to score 45 plus points pet game for 5 straight years? What kind of players did they recruit?

I know someone with a library full of answers.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you Charles,

I agree with you and others on this matter.  Thank you for this open letter to Coach Lanning.

Coach Lanning,

You will find that Duck fans are fanatical and loyal.  All we ask is to be open and honest with us.  We know all things take time to implement your plans.  We stand behind you in fan support to see your plans to come into fruition.

We love your DEFENSE  at Georgia!  It was fun to see what Georgia's defense did in dismantling Michigan's offense.  As Charles mentioned, please bring the high octane offense back to Oregon!

Best wishes to you and the Georgia Bull Dogs in the NC game against Alabama this year!

We are excited to see what you and staff are able to do on the recruiting trail/transfer portal, but importantly on the Xs and Os, game management and player development.

Welcome aboard Coach Lanning.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 4

On 1/3/2022 at 9:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

The main item is bring speed back to Oregon. Hopefully you have toured Hayward Field by now and talked to Robert Johnson. Create some synergies which had occurred between the track program and the football team. That is an amazing tool, use it. That is what the Oregon brand use to be, speed kills!

Great piece, Charles.

And I love this part of what you said, Hayward. I was a student at UO from 2006 - 2009. One of the defining features of our athletic programs at that time (at least from my vantage point) was that you could come to Oregon and vie for championships on the football field AND chase your dreams of being an olympian with the best of both worlds. That is an advantage other schools simply cannot compete with. The Nike brand + our world class track and field program/facilities + an elite football team = SPEED.

Part of the Oregon brand has been a willingness to innovate, create unique opportunities, and an ability to lean into the things only we can offer. 

The future is bright! We just have to seize it.

Edited by WolfDuck
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Coach Lanning, to borrow a term, lose the Prevent Offense. If there's still time on the clock, more points can be scored. Pro style, spread, under center, shotgun, points can be had. A great, dominating defense, in concert with an offense that never stops is what wins championships.

The WR's showed what they can do in the 2nd half against Oklahoma, the RB's are ready as well, and there's a room full of QB's set to compete for the starter role. All that behind an OL that is primed. By now you've heard how loud Autzen can be, but you won't fully appreciate it until you're on the sideline while it's happening. And it will if you open it up.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I cherish the past, and the schemes Charles’ library holds on this site, that success was dependent upon tempo and facing outdated defenses that current teams trashed long ago.  We need a team that is at the cutting edge of what is happening today, not ten years ago.  

My expectation is that this eager young staff will bring their own innovative changes that surprise opponent coaches the way our “brand” once did so well.  That surprise factor coupled with speed is the Oregon football I hope to see.

• Thumbs Up 6

Thanks Charles, for saying what so many of us would like to tell Coach Dan! We love our Ducks and want to see a prolific offense that mixes runs and passes to the extent the defense is on their heels, and gives up EXPLOSION PLAYS!

Football coaches should be using the facilities at Hayward (and all the student athlete support available) to entice the really fast players to come to Oregon.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:30 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

While I cherish the past, and the schemes Charles’ library holds on this site, that success was dependent upon tempo and facing outdated defenses that current teams trashed long ago.

I cannot disagree more.  Every offense works, because the defense does not know what is coming and when.  Execution will make every offense work and that is dependent upon the coach, and so many plays from my Analysis Library are seen every week utilized by the top college teams and even in the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I cannot disagree more.  Every offense works, because the defense does not know what is coming and when.  Execution will make every offense work and that is dependent upon the coach, and so many plays from my Analysis Library are seen every week utilized by the top college teams and even in the NFL.

TRUE!! Give me a 5:10 265lb RB that can do the 100 dash in 10 sec and Ill show you 8 yards a play every play-just sayin

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is asking Lanning to run the Chip Kelly offense circa 2007-2012.  Hell, Chip Kelly doesn't run a pure form of that offense; he has changed and evolved as any good/great coach will do.  The history of college football is innovation on offense, changes to defense to catch up, with further evolution to follow.

Think of Mike Bellotti.  He had a highly successful team with an offense he knew inside and out.  But he knew the offense had to change.  So he went outside the box and brought in Chip Kelly and, most importantly, let Chip Kelly run the Chip Kelly offense.  I distinctly remember Bellotti saying in an interview that while he reserved the right to decide between a pass or run that Kelly did the planning  and called all the plays.  

Fast forward to Cristobal.  His offenses were (all of them) conservative (to say the least).   As we all know he even managed to hold an NFL pro bowler in check!  The results of the Cristobal approach:

1.  Games were close giving lesser teams the chance to win.  

2.  The games were boring.  They simply were not fun.

All I (we) want is for the Ducks to put away lesser teams; battle to the end against equal teams (like Utah) and have fun.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Agree with what you have written Charles.

I don't think Georgia's D looks at solid vs Michigan without the boatload of 5 star talent at their disposal. Though, Michigan did do that to the 5 star talent at Ohio State, so scheme and discipline must have played some role. 

I sure hope these young and hungry coaches can create a monsterous D and combine it with a high flying offence. 

Cheers. 

On 1/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

TRUE!! Give me a 5:10 265lb RB that can do the 100 dash in 10 sec and Ill show you 8 yards a play every play-just sayin

Is that you Mario? 

5zwc37.gif

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 6:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

I will diverge from Charles charge that our DNA doesn't include a Georgia type defense, never settle for reasonable.

I should have written that better; with all I do--it is sometimes hard to sit still and truly get my thoughts on the page.  My DNA reference is wrong, as anything can be changed.  But my point is that Georgia sits in the middle of the best recruiting area for defensive tackles, linebackers, etc.  Players don't have to leave Mama's cooking, and it is going to be hard to pull 20 of the 5-Star players to Oregon as they have to Georgia.

Instead of trying to recreate what many call...one of the best college defenses ever at Georgia...I think he can create a top-ten defense at Oregon.  Pair that with a high-scoring offense and you have a Playoff team challenging for the 'Natty!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The premise of what Charles wrote is spot on. If you look at the military, the weapons are continually being created to defeat the defense. 

The development of armor is followed by weapons which can pierce the armor and then that is made illegal. This can be looked about the hurry up offense, and how teams, defenses said it should be illegal, but then innovated to learn to throttle the hurry up, even though it continues to be effective, at times.

The big lesson is one must keep innovating. A truly innovative, executed offense makes a defense throw up their hands and give up. We want to see that. We do not want to wait, and wait for a defense to give up because they can't stop the pistol plunge, ever again. Innovate while executing, will get the fanbase back on their feet and the rest of the country saying Oregon is back, not boring.

Lastly I would ask Dan Lanning to look to the past, not just in the track program. Give Brooks a call, and definitely look at Bellotti as an asset. Too often our society forgets it's past and just moves on. Our senior centers are full of wisdom and insight, sadly sitting idle. Bring Bellotti on as a consultant. 

Get some insights on how to play at the different stadiums, and so much more. Learn more about the decisions he made and why. Respect the past while building for the future. Something to think about, and something I am hopeful we will see!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/3/2022 at 9:26 AM, Haywarduck said:

Is that you Mario? 

5zwc37.gif

If you had a back that could do that it would open up the pass game even more--just sayin.

• Haha 1

After four years of slow plodding offense that resulting in weekly escapes from defeat, our stubborn coach felt vindicated in his refusal to change after one lower case w after another. At this point, I feel that we all suffer from what I'd cal Mario syndrome. In Lanning's open letter to the UO fan base (his introductory press conference) he wisely addressed most of our concerns.

He said that his offense was going to revolve around explosion plays. I am sure in his UO research he saw all of the two yard passes mixed in with perpetual runs up the middle. He obviously felt that this was such a concern to the fans that it needed to be addressed. The OC he is bringing in was the guy behind those high flying Memphis offenses from a few years back. I'd expect more of a turn in that direction.

He also stated that every decision that gets made will be evaluated and improved upon all the way down to which hotels to stay at and pregame routines. I'm sure being a defensive mastermind, he must have found Mario's mule headed desire for repetitive plod ball more cringe worthy than we did.

On the subject of limiting the expectations of what can be recruited here, we need to get a grasp on the fact that UO may have just had it's most significant recruiting promo last week (UGA thumping MU) since the Dennis Dixon magic show at the Wolverines den. With a potential bigger one in another week, we may see a tsunami of five star interest heading our way.

Edited by The Kamikaze Kid
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Charles for stepping up and writing this letter to Coach Dan and Coach Kenny. Our second half vs OK showed what our guys are capable of when the lid is taken off the offensive scheme. FSU under Dillingham was run-first but definitely took shots downfield. I think he and Coach Dan will appreciate your concerns.

On 1/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

With a potential bigger one in another week, we may see a tsunami of five star interest heading our way.

It is the best advertising, as Chris and Herby talk about the Georgia defense, ""And you know that DC Lanning is the Coach at Oregon now" "And the first game next season is Oregon and Georgia". 

Lanning met with Cyrus Moss last week, who will announce his decision at the All American Game this weekend. 

image.jpeg.1686730d6e4b6b8a54a1b2b89db31468.jpeg

I'd love to see a high-flying offense again. But when the Ducks are on the one-yard (or closer) line trying to score, I wouldn't mind seeing a QB sneak instead of a play that starts 3 yards back.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 1/3/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

My FishDuck Friends, it is my earnest hope that this message reaches Head Coach Dan Lanning and Offensive Coordinator Kenny Dillingham, as what I am writing represents the feelings and hopes of hundreds of thousands loyal Oregon fans. We want to see a return to the Oregon Brand, which consists of an offense that is high scoring and very entertaining ...

I concur with ya my fellow green and yellow Duck Dog! We need some speed also from our RB position. I miss those days of blasting opponents by 4 scores. I miss the Barner, James, Tyler show. I do believe that there is some pretty great back 7 players and deep at both positions and the D line returners will still be pretty good inside and outside defenders. I am quite sure whatever we will see come Spring it will be better looking than that crapola we were fed for Mario's tenure.  the line coaches We dodged a couple bullets from Mario.

We cant complain to much because I think we all believe were getting a lot better with the new than what just left. He did leave the roster in decent order and that's all he did while here, he never wowed us with high scoring offenses and come to have watched line coaches over OCs and DCs the line coaches don't seem to get it over the other's. I can understand maybe playing that ball control crap we were fed for 4 seasons for maybe the last 2 minutes of the game then ok, just not for 4 QTRs.

On 1/3/2022 at 6:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would add, build it, don't just boast about it. Coach Lanning, the sincerity and willingness to come across straight is refreshing. If it looks like it is going to take a while, a few quarters, games, seasons, to get this done don't switch into telling us what we want to hear. 

I love hearing about how difficult something is going to be and then seeing somebody overdeliver. The opposite will drive this fanbase nuts. The Oregon fanbase has been through a long process to success. We can work through some tough times, with the bright yellow glow off in the distance. 

I will diverge from Charles charge that our DNA doesn't include a Georgia type defense, never settle for reasonable. If an elite defense is what you want, don't stop trying, change our DNA. Bring in the big bodies, the 5*'s and make it happen. I actually think the Pac-12 would buckle under a tough defense like Georgia. That is your difference from Riley down at sc. They will try and be all offense and you can destruct sc with defense and our offense.

I mean 4 of our top 12 recruits all-time were on the defensive side of the ball this season. We lose Thibs, but you bring in Cyrus Moss, a few others and you are on your way. Don't give up on your dream, if that is the defense you had at Georgia!

Most importantly recruit and develop the skill players on offense. There is plenty of room in the Oregon Program for more Heisman's and National Championship Trophies. The sky is the limit while you are at Oregon, but keep your feet in Nike's and firmly planted on the ground!

I just wiped a tear off my eye. Go Ducks! Yes I believe MLK said once a time ago but it still ring's true today I believe I've heard already some of the high ranking D line kids are interested in Oregon and why not. If you can pay them now why not more than everybody else? We have seen Oregon evolve and it might just take a little different approach this time but who cares as long as the intentions are National Championship. I've already said on here that A@M was paying their O Lineman 50 grand each. That's incentive!

OUTSTANDING!  As many folks defended Mario's small ball approach to offense you Charles were consistent in calling out Mario for 'lying' about the style of O he planed to run and pointing out the damage the 'prevent offense' was doing to the Oregon brand. The man was a champion recruiter and a chump as a coach. He had talented athletes consistently playing down to the level of inferior competition.

Great call also regarding the defense. Don't grow guys out west like those who play on the Georgia D line.

Oregon needs to get its mojo back. Ohio State QB Stroud from SoCal was not wrong in observing that many Pac-12 stadiums are close to empty and silent on game day, Can't do much about the majority of the conference but let's get Autzen rocking again!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:15 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Charles thanks for this article.      

Once the 2022 recruiting cycle is completed next month, along with utilizing the transfer portal, Coach Lanning should be installing his program and processes.

With this being his first HC in college football we as fans were able to see his defensive schemes firsthand against Michigan. Better yet we get to see how he makes adjustments against Bama in the Natty.

As mentioned above, if he brings in the talent on defense we see he can coach the D players well.

As for the offense...........

Whatever Coach Dillingham runs is what we will get. Good, bad, exciting or boring.

We can only hope that Coach Lanning is open minded and will change what is not working on offense.

The last coach was as stubborn as they come. Future Duck players watching Duck games were probably not wowed.

Excitement brings exciting players.

With all the confusion around the program this year I may have missed this.... Were their any 5* running backs, QB's and receivers lining up to come play here? If they were, well I missed it.

Remember, we are going to see our new HC develope, build and grow right before our eyes. Also his staff 

I just hope that Coach Lanning and Coach Dillingham at least ask themselves.....

What kind of schemes and plays did Oregon run to score 45 plus points pet game for 5 straight years? What kind of players did they recruit?

I know someone with a library full of answers.

We also saw his defense against the Heisman winning QB and it wasn't pretty. Will Georgia finally get over the Alabama melt downs? Was the SEC champ game aberrational or representative of how the UGA D performs against top QBs? Auburn had 7 sacks vs Bama, UGA zip. 

Personally I think UGA wins the champ game. Bama had to win the SEC champ game to make the final 4 and Georgia was in regardless.

Take a look at the U-Tube presentation of then #1 Army defeating #2 Navy in the 1944 thriller.  You will see Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard of Army running a full-house "T" formation and Navy getting shredded 23-7, still stuck playing single wing football.  Vestiges of both formations are still with today's football, with single wing direct snaps to a running back while the QB, or a sub for the QB, blocks.  But does any thinking coach run a full diet of these formations?  

Chip Kelly's multiple-option mesh, with sign boards signalling in formations and plays, took until the third year for players to perfect, and only a very few QB's are capable of thinking that fast.   The opponents' defense of Chip's teams had the disadvantage of facing that attack only once  a year.  Even Chip doesn't rely much on it anymore.  Yes, I see it run a few plays in today's games, often with "Oops, the RB just got handed the ball and two d-linemen snuffed him for a three yard loss."  I am hoping Lanning comes up with something very different from that.  

On 1/3/2022 at 11:56 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

I am hoping Lanning comes up with something very different from that.  

First, in the article I did NOT say we needed to return to the Chip Kelly Spread; in fact I stated that ANY offense that is high scoring can achieve all our objectives, as it is an attitude and execution as much as Xs and Os.  You will note I brought up the passing offense of LSU in 2019....as an example.

Let's look at ONE simply basic play, not a sequential or constraint play off of it; let's look at the basic Inside Zone and Inside Zone Read.  Here is an analysis I did here and here of this play over the last two seasons. This is how Oregon has been running it in modern times.

But wait!  This is executed the same way as Oregon ran in 2014, with an analysis done right here!

Wait a minute....remember how Alabama kept running Inside Zones all game against Cincinnati?  Yep....the SAME PLAY done the SAME WAY.

There you are; proof of what I am stating with a most basic play.  The RPOs, the sequential and constraint plays off of it can easily work anytime and I see teams doing it.

BTW....Dillingham runs a Spread Offense.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

All they need is a good lead guitarist, bass, and somehow find a decent drummer. With some extensive practice sessions the Oregon band will rock.

Whoops….

misread that header.

• Haha 1

A QB that can throw and a coach that can coach. Mostly, a coach that can coach. There is more talent on this team than CK ever dreamed of. Injury aside, it wouldn't take much to get the high scoring offense we want. Heck, AB played as good as a half Thursday as has ever been played at Oregon. So maybe it's just a coach that can coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

Offense fills the stands.  Defense wins championships.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Good thoughts provide here.  I agree that it is easier to get offensive talent to Eugene, than defense.  Bigger, fast, strong, works on both sides to the ball.  The perennial top 5 teams recruit better and thus have better players than their opponents, and as they execute well, points naturally follow.  Oregon will probably recruit at slightly under that level, so offensive creativity will, and should be a part of the offensive game plan.

Top interior D lineman will usually be at a premium at Oregon, but top linebackers and DB's should be able to be recruited here.  Again a little creativity will be necessary to reach the elite team level.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, Log Haulin said:

A QB that can throw and a coach that can coach. Mostly, a coach that can coach. There is more talent on this team than CK ever dreamed of. Injury aside, it wouldn't take much to get the high scoring offense we want. Heck, AB played as good as a half Thursday as has ever been played at Oregon. So maybe it's just a coach that can coach.

I agree that MC had very good recruiting classes, but with transfers out, erosion of the 2022 class, and graduations/NFL draft players, it is going to be very interesting to see what the two and three deep looks like, on both sides of the ball, in the spring and the start of fall practice.  Don't want to discount CK teams, I might consider the Natty team vs. Auburn, the best Oregon team ever.

Wow, so much to digest on this whole thread. And so many great points.

I think I'd encourage our new coach to take at least one thing from our past (more recent ) great coaches to incorporate in his general viewpoint:

Rich Brooks:  How to coach up lesser star players to make the sum greater than the parts.

Mike Bellotti:  Keep innovating and building.

Chip Kelly:  Once your boot is on the throat of an opponent, do not let up for any reason. If anything, apply more pressure.

Things to take away from our less admired coaches:

Mark Helfrich:  Don't assume the brand sells itself. Always return calls or texts from players. Don't be too busy to let a future NFL pro-bowl quarterback accidentally walk-on to your team.

Slick Willy:  Sometimes wear glasses while on the field whether you need them or not.  That way if you happen to be losing people think, "They're losing, but that guy looks really smart. Maybe they'll come back and win."  Works for Harbaugh.

MC:  You can recruit the biggest stars to Oregon. But learn a little from Brooks and Bellotti about the difference between stars and heart. Stars are great. But if you don't have the heart to go with it, heart wins out.

Edited by SmithRiverDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, Red Rover said:

Offense fills the stands.  Defense wins championships.

That used to be the case, but not now.  Nick Saban stated twice publicly to the media and other coaches that it is no longer true.  Read this article right here.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks, great article. I am a good example of those all across the country fans who became Oregon football fans because the Duck were simply SO exciting to watch.

I lived in Portland for just a little over two years and actually rooted for the team in Corvallis (had alumni friends with lots of extra tickets, and it was the short Erikson era there), but the Duck's style of play won me over and I haven't faltered since.

I'm so excited about the staff that Lanning is putting together, but like you hope for a return to the kind of offensive philosophy that defined Oregon football for so long. Play fast, play with speed, game plan for chunk plays running and passing and have a lot of fun while working hard at it! Add this to Lanning's defense and the sky's the limit for Oregon football.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, thank you for your thoughts about the article, and great to read your story.  Do post often and WELCOME!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck