30Duck

Is Caleb Williams a Sure Thing for USC?

If we brought in Caleb Williams along with Bo Nix, we could watch all our junior QB's exit. College football is never going to be the same or even close to what I grew up with.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think he gives a serious look at USC since he has 3 years of play left and SC can get back to relevancy by then. But, Georgia is the Natty move. 

Suddenly Oklahoma has one scholarship QB, a Penn State transfer four star with only an appearance against Oregon in his two years of college.  Could be a rough start for Brent Venables and his six year $43 million contract.

Caleb was fortunate to play for a coach who gave him a chance. He certainly made the most of that opportunity.

Hard to see him not following that coach to USC.

Wonder what could have been if our young QB's had been given a chance?

I must pause here................to not break the rules.  WUSAW, WUSAW.

There were plenty of opportunities where the Ducks needed a spark during the game. A change of pace, a dog and a beer........

Not our coaches..........

• Thumbs Up 1

OK fans are predicting he goes to UGA. Love it if he decided on the Ducks but I don't see it. If he signed at Oregon and other guys not as talented left; well, that's the nature of today's game and the portal. 

No one in the QB room in 2021 was good enough to beat out Brown. Speaks for itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

He will probably follow his coach to USC.

Maybe he was impressed with the UO's young scrappy receiving core at the Alamo Bowl. Stranger things have happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 7:04 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Maybe he was impressed with the UO's young scrappy receiving core at the Alamo Bowl. Stranger things have happened.

I like your optimism!  I am a strong believer in strange things happening!

Go Ducks!!

On 1/3/2022 at 11:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

No one in the QB room in 2021 was good enough to beat out Brown. Speaks for itself.

Are we sure about that?  Given how conservatively this staff played things, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the vet just out of fear of what mistakes a freshman might make, not because Brown was clearly the best player.  

I would suggest amending the statement to "No one in the QB room in 2021 was good enough to beat out Brown in the eyes of the staff."  I find it easy to believe that all the scouting services totally missed on one of these 4-star guys and he'll never be any good.  I find it hard to believe all the scouting services totally missed on all three of them.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:38 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Are we sure about that?  Given how conservatively this staff played things, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the vet just out of fear of what mistakes a freshman might make, not because Brown was clearly the best player.  

I would suggest amending the statement to "No one in the QB room in 2021 was good enough to beat out Brown in the eyes of the staff."  I find it easy to believe that all the scouting services totally missed on one of these 4-star guys and he'll never be any good.  I find it hard to believe all the scouting services totally missed on all three of them.

I agree, all three of these guys, in the right situation, can be very good. I would add "in the eyes of the head coach." 

A coach who wants to really leverage each of these guys talents will see an amazing qb.

I don't think we ever really saw what even AB could do. Wouldn't it be fitting if AB went on to a long career in the NFL as even a back-up. Herbert became the NFL Rookie of the Year, after being throttled. AB getting drafted and making an NFL team would be an interesting development.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Brown I was shocked to see the tweet from Moseley listing his stats.  

Given the state of the Pac-12 this year, I'm not sure leading the league in anything is all that impressive.  In my limited ability to watch extended highlights, I still saw a guy who took off pretty fast out of the pocket, who missed a bunch of throws, and who did a lot of checkdowns.  Was the receiver not in the right place?  Did the line not give him the extra half second the pattern needed to develop properly?  Not watching the all-22 so no clue how much of the performance was Brown, coaching, line, injuries, receivers, etc.  But I didn't see anything overwhelmingly impressive in what little I did see - stats or no stats. 

In total offensive production, this team was far below where the talent suggests it should have been.  17 points in two games against Utah?  24 against Stanford and Cal?  26 against a putrid Washington team?  Ugh.  That's absolutely not all on the QB, and I'm not sure even the majority of it should be...but at least some.  Maybe I'm being completely unfair, but I'm betting Thomas, Mariota, Dixon, and some of our other recent guys in the same system would have done more.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 3:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

OK fans are predicting he goes to UGA. Love it if he decided on the Ducks but I don't see it. If he signed at Oregon and other guys not as talented left; well, that's the nature of today's game and the portal. 

That's what they say. My belief is if no one was able to watch the practices then how do we really know. I anybody thinks I'm going to believe anything Mario said think again because the guy couldn't hold true to anything he said. Remember were gonna punch them in the mouth. Well I do and it was embarrassing to say the least with Utah that comes to mind. LOL he's gone thank God so now we can hopefully see a well ran throw down the field offense that wants to score. A defense that hasn't really lived up or coached up to it's proper ranking.

Maybe this all changes in one year as in 2022. Think about it our roster right now is better than any in the PAC including SC. So if Lanning and his staff can come in and better the recruiting and coaching them up we could very well not see a drop off while SC builds whatever they are trying to build. We need as fans Oregon to go out and do this I and many others have waited a long time. Seen the rise and changes to this program and it was innovation and it has worked well enough but not good enough to get to the top. All about the MONEY now!

With Gabriel Dillon dropping UCLA for Oklahoma I'm pretty sure Williams ends up at Georgia.

As much as I admire AB for his leadership, team perspective, toughness and occasional flashes of brilliance  (tOSU game in particular), his problems with accuracy and throwing mechanics won't make the grade for the pro game. I agree that the choice to start him the entire season over the other 4 and 5☆ QBs says something about the development of those younger players and partly precipitated the transfer of Bo Nix. Williams coming here is a real long shot. I see it as USC>OU>Georgia