WolfDuck

Robby Ashford, Oregon QB to the Portal. Will he be the Only One?

Robby Ashford enters the portal.

89386940-E9E1-469A-A733-67D49686E0CA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

He could rule at Akron, Joe loved the guy. I wish the guy all the luck going forward. 

• Thumbs Up 2

A serious waste of talent for sure.

I think Thompson for sure stays... Butterfield I give a 50-50 coin flip as to if he stays or goes. 

Ashford was just too far down the depth chart and I just don't see him climbing ahead of Thompson, Butterfield, and Nix. 

Best of luck to him and I sincerely hope he finds a home. 

As for Oregon's scholarship situation this is a better place for the coaches because we have been hovering very close to the max of 85 for some time now. There are positions that need depth added to them and as long as we don't lose another QB the QB room is in a decent spot still. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I had my money on Ashford transferring.  While he's got a ton of athletic talent, it feels like his development was further behind TT and Butters because he was splitting time between 2 sports.  I hope he does well wherever he lands.

This Is good. Opens up the QB room a bit. I wish the best for Ashford. I hope he has an amazing college experience wherever he lands.

Butters will be gone after spring camp. Going on year number 3 in the program and if he can't establish himself as at least the QB2 he bounces. That's just what transfers do to a team. Would have liked to see Ty and Butters dueling it out for QB1 spot in the fall but that's looking much less likely now...

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought Butterfield looked better than Thompson in the spring game.

Thompson was not consistently impressive during the season. 

No disrespect to the former staff, but I am not assuming that they evaluated talent at QB accurately. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Ashford may have been the most athletic QB we had.  Wish him well.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, kirklandduck said:

I had my money on Ashford transferring.  While he's got a ton of athletic talent, it feels like his development was further behind TT and Butters because he was splitting time between 2 sports.  I hope he does well wherever he lands.

He looks like he could play BB also as he's talented just not enough to sit while coach's don't coach you up to your potential and that's all any player can ask and that's why I came here to get better and play football. Maybe the NFL next but we will never see this CF game back in the day. To bad and Oregon from Mullins and Knight along with Lanning and his staff need to get that next level and stop hovering. Now my new slogan will be Get it done! 3 of those losses came at the end of the season when your supposed to be playing your best. Mario a true head scratcher.

On 1/3/2022 at 6:18 PM, Triphibius said:

I thought Butterfield looked better than Thompson in the spring game.

Thompson was not consistently impressive during the season. 

I agree that Butterfield looked better in the spring but that isn't all that uncommon with true freshman. As limited as it was Butterfield enrolled at oregon in january 2020, got a very partial spring(before covid) and got fall 2020. This past spring(2021) was Thompson's first practice with the team.

It's pretty well known that early enrollee Freshman can take what I would call a leap from spring to fall. This is due to the fact that the freshman are not only in football, but are getting used to living on their own, being away from family and starting off at college. Add in the QB position has some of the most to learn from mechanics and playbook that it isn't all that surprising that butterfield looked better during the spring game.

As an additional note on the spring game, I don't think a lot of it was his fault... His first drive stalled because of playcalling. RB rush for 2 yards, failed screen loss of yards, 3rd down(3rd-13) complete but short of the line to gain by about a yard or two. 

His second drive he drove the ball all the way down inside the 5(false start made it inside the 10). He had some bad passes during his game.I wouldn't deny that fact. In honesty I am not going to give the credit that others got in this game though either. A lot of the highlights were players like thorton and Franklin getting past walk on defenders for open passes. the only qb I remember making passes in the middle of the field was Thompson.

as for during the season it is hard to evaluate a qb that had 15 pass attempts. He left a lot to be desired..but against AZ two of his passes were dropped by a walk on(one was a bad pass). as for his lone INT against colorado, It was a poor decision but it was also because the Walk on WR ran a poor route. 

The fact is as a fanbase the previous staff let a lot to be desired, we have very little knowledge about the qb's because they rarely let media or fans in to view and watch them practice, add in that back up QB's made a total of 18 passes during the season and it's really hard to know. 

I've seen plenty of fans hype thompson, butterfield and ashford but the truth is we don't know. we don't have enough evidence to make actual assessments of any of these players.

Edited by UtahDuck
clarification and ease of reading