geoquack

The Coming Mid-Season Opt Outs in College Football

So if I'm a third year player that thinks I'm NFL material, why won't I opt out after, say, the third loss of the season when my team is no longer in realistic playoff contention?  Why wait for the end of the regular season?  Even with an expanded playoff, there will be a lot of players finding themselves in this situation.  Since what's good for me is all that matters, why won't I leave long before a bowl game?

The game is in trouble.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

There is a difference in playing the season to conclusion and skipping a random one off game. 

The season is still a body of work and character is still on display. Giving up on your college team that can't make the playoff isn't a good look for when said player is in the NFL and their NFL team isn't going to make the playoff. 

I would be a top team problem if anything because that's where the biggest stars will be. A middle tier player trying to get recognition at say an Oregon State level school needs all the film and eyeballs possible to get to the next level. 

Then the biggest thing to change opt outs at any level is for someone's draft stock to take a direct hit due to opting out of a game. Once that happens the opt outs are over. 

As it stands the NFL doesn't care about players opting out of bowl games. However, I am sure they will care if players opt out partially through a season. 

As it stands the way to opt out mid season is the transfer portal... And that does come at the cost of a season and potential exposure. 

We will just have to wait and see where this all goes...

How about the obvious - getting a degree.  Only a very few players go to the NFL.  All these new coaches coming to build Lanning’s dream team.  Every one has a degree.

Want to teach school?  Get that degree, maybe two of them.

One thing I would try to do with early signers is to get them to take AP courses in high school so they can get a start on a degree and lighten the academic load during college.  This would also help prepare the incoming guys for college academics.  It might also indicate to parents the sincerity of academic intention by the coaching staff.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:14 PM, geoquack said:

So if I'm a third year player that thinks I'm NFL material, why won't I opt out after, say, the third loss of the season when my team is no longer in realistic playoff contention?  Why wait for the end of the regular season?  Even with an expanded playoff, there will be a lot of players finding themselves in this situation.  Since what's good for me is all that matters, why won't I leave long before a bowl game?

The game is in trouble.

Interesting take, and something to watch as the players become even more shrewd about the ways of the transfer portal. 

I do think there will be many more players looking to upgrade their schools as their skills become evident at the college level. 

If you weren't recruited, go the JC route, then sign on to a D1 team, it may be the same type of path.

Why stay at Arizona, when you are dominating guys on teams beating your team? Some of the recent recruits may be asking this question sooner rather than later.

Yeah, but how many mid-level players THINK they're stars?  We see guys all the time in football and basketball declare for the draft and then end up a very low-round draft choice or go entirely undrafted.

As for having players take AP courses, some of these guys will barely qualify for school and then barely be able to stay in school.  Realistic for some, but probably not for a lot.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:41 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Yeah, but how many mid-level players THINK they're stars?  We see guys all the time in football and basketball declare for the draft and then end up a very low-round draft choice or go entirely undrafted.

As for having players take AP courses, some of these guys will barely qualify for school and then barely be able to stay in school.  Realistic for some, but probably not for a lot.

AP courses are not what they used to be.  K-12 education is more about daycare than teaching.  Grade inflation is the name of the game.  Its the participation trophy approach to education.....everyone is entitled to pass.

Oh, and it's getting worse. 

• Like 1

I've got a daughter in high school.  AP courses may not be what they used to be, but then student achievement in general is not what it used to be, so there's still a pretty good gap between AP and a typical student.  

Sadly.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2022 at 6:28 AM, Haywarduck said:

Interesting take, and something to watch as the players become even more shrewd about the ways of the transfer portal. 

I do think there will be many more players looking to upgrade their schools as their skills become evident at the college level. 

If you weren't recruited, go the JC route, then sign on to a D1 team, it may be the same type of path.

Why stay at Arizona, when you are dominating guys on teams beating your team? Some of the recent recruits may be asking this question sooner rather than later.

Why stay at Arizona? Good question. But why choose to transfer to Arizona (over Oregon) as Cowing did?

On 1/3/2022 at 9:14 PM, geoquack said:

I think we already saw something like this recently with a BIG 10 player (need a little help from my forum friends for his name) who was hurt, missed a few games and could have come back for a game or two but decided to end his college career. 

Also, we saw a QB from a Texas school (more help please) who decided to redshirt after the first few games went into the tank.  Said he would definitely come back and then entered the transfer portal after the season. 

So, your point seems to be a natural progression.