Charles Fischer

Surprise! Surprise! Cristobal Hiring McClendon as Offensive Coordinator

I'm shocked! Mullens let THIS GUY be the HC for the Alamo Bowl? I liked the suggestion a poster had to match Bellotti vs Bob Stoops.

Letting this guy coach was letting the fox into the hen house. Will Robby Ashford among others follow? 

• Thumbs Up 3

I absolutely agree with Jon Joseph on this one.  I do though appreciate the coaches that did stay for doing so;  just not as acting Head Coach, when we had a classier option at home.

• Thumbs Up 2

If we had payed Miami in the bowl game, what would have Mullens done? Bellotti was the answer either way, way too many Miami coaches on the field as it was. Kudos to the student athletes for playing with purpose and intensity for the program, the Oregon Program.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Letting this guy coach was letting the fox into the hen house. Will Robby Ashford among others follow? 

We've had a few transfers announced already and no one is heading to Miami to date.

Pittman was never going to follow Cristobal so lets not even count that one.

Jayson Jones went to Auburn, not Miami.

DJ James is still in the transfer portal I believe but if Miami was his destination wouldn't he have already declared it if he was even offered a spot by MC? 

Robby Ashford could end up at Miami but apparently Miami has some decent QB options and lets get real... would he really want to go to Miami to be in a Cristobal inspired offense? He's already seen what it does and he may be a decent fit for it but in truth I see Ashford ending up at a FCS school or a G5 school. I don't see a P5 team picking him up at this point because there are more proven options. 

We haven't seen anyone else leap into the portal yet. Not saying it wouldn't happen but I doubt we see many leave to follow MC or BMac to Miami. If anyone was going to follow either to Miami I would have expected them to have transferred by now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

May not be many following him to Miami. How many Duck players so far have followed MC, Mirabal, and now BMcC et al there? Recruits, a few for sure, but players entering the portal? It seems to me the WR room has already emptied out, the ones leaving either from graduation (Redd, JJIII) NFL aspirations (DevWill) or transfer (MPitt).

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

And....McClendon was fired at South Carolina as an OC; this is not a "Moorhead" kind of hire for Cristobal...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

And....McClendon was fired at South Carolina as an OC; this is not a "Moorhead" kind of hire for Cristobal...

Perfect fit for each other! Could you imagine the game plan conversation 

BMc: I have drawn up some passing routes for our next game

MC: We don’t do that here

BMc: Don’t do what?
MC: Pass!  Now hit the recruiting trail!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Important to note he is co-offensive coordinator.  While it is true that at Oregon he was only pass game coordinator so this is a "promotion" it is title only and an excuse for more money.  Last year both Joe Salave'a and Ken Wilson were co-defensive coordinators while Tim DeRuyter was defensive coordinator is both salary and function.

I have no problem with his being interim HC for the bowl.  I get the nostalgia for Mike Bellotti vs Bob Stoops but the situations were completely different.  Stoops is about 60 and retired 5 years.  Bellotti is over 70 and away from football for over a dozen years.  More important is several Oklahoma assistants had worked under Stoops so it was an easier transition.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:01 PM, David Marsh said:

We've had a few transfers announced already and no one is heading to Miami to date.

Pittman was never going to follow Cristobal so lets not even count that one.

Jayson Jones went to Auburn, not Miami.

DJ James is still in the transfer portal I believe but if Miami was his destination wouldn't he have already declared it if he was even offered a spot by MC? 

Robby Ashford could end up at Miami but apparently Miami has some decent QB options and lets get real... would he really want to go to Miami to be in a Cristobal inspired offense? He's already seen what it does and he may be a decent fit for it but in truth I see Ashford ending up at a FCS school or a G5 school. I don't see a P5 team picking him up at this point because there are more proven options. 

We haven't seen anyone else leap into the portal yet. Not saying it wouldn't happen but I doubt we see many leave to follow MC or BMac to Miami. If anyone was going to follow either to Miami I would have expected them to have transferred by now. 

DM, great post. But it begs the question? Should this guy have been Oregon's HC in the Alamo Bowl. Even if he is the only guy to follow Mario to Miami?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why would Ashford go to Miami? To sit for another year!

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm shocked! Mullens let THIS GUY be the HC for the Alamo Bowl? I liked the suggestion a poster had to match Bellotti vs Bob Stoops.

That's my thought exactly when it was announced a month ago.  This guy is as incompetent as MC.  In fact, may be more because the problem with our air game was at least partly on him since he is the receiver coach.    Clearly AB was somewhat capable of long balls, at least half a game at a time, but it just wasn't in our playbook most of the season.

I dont now whether to laugh or cry for Miami-So I will just laugh. These two will be the kings of the new Boring Offense. Hard nap at the Hard Rock stadium.

I think we could be a bit more charitable here. BMcC and Morehead took the handcuffs off the passing game in the 2nd half and it was the most exciting offense we've seen in weeks. 

• Thumbs Up 1