Charles Fischer

Five Portal WR Targets: SHOULD We?

I admit that many of these look interesting and could help us...but won't that mess up the WR room?  I LIKE the young-guns we have now....thoughts?

Five Transfer Portal Wide Receivers That the Oregon Ducks Should Try to Recruit by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

df6a92472e2a4fe68db5a82b7acfc2fc.jpg?w=1

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Kobe Hudsen, Nix's teammate at Auburn is an intriguing option because of their familiarity. But would that create a tension overriding the benefit?

• Thumbs Up 1

One receiver from the portal would be good... I don't think we have the scholarships for more than one. 

The youth is there and is emerging and will become a major strength for Oregon's offense. Though depth may be a concern but there are some receivers who were buried in the depth chart last year but should emerge this year with the departure of Johnson, Redd and Williams. 

• Like 1

I think we’re good at receiver but we may be thin in the DB department.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think we’re good at receiver but we may be thin in the DB department.

Definately need another DB or two... we have some youth that should emerge and grow... but the loss of McKinnley and Wright REALLY hurts. 

No reason why we shouldn't. Depth is thin at WR and probably won't be addressed completely in the 2022 class. Picking up at least one experienced WR can only help imo. 

If anyone one of them runs a sub 4.3 40 then yes, definitely. If any one of them has a proven ability to catch the ball and has blazing speed, then bring him forth!

We have 8 scholly receivers if I count correctly.  Teams want about 10?  That leaves 2 spots or so.  Could be more or less depending on:

1. Wilhoite: don't think he was with the team all year?  As long as he is enrolled he keeps his scholly.  Maybe a medical redshirt if long-term injured? 

2. Delgado: played some early.  Don't believe he was on bowl travel squad. No injury report I have seen.

3. Tevin Jeannis: walk-on who has suited and played. Regularly practices. Does he possibly get a scholly.

I assume a new staff will ask these questions.

Any player out of the portal that the coaching staff believes is better than any player on the roster must, if a scholly is available, be offered. Even if a scholly is not available the 'inferior' player should be so informed and the staff should find a portal place for the displaced player will he can compete. If need be, spread some sugar to get the new guy on board and the former guy to depart.

THIS is the name of today's game. CFB is unregulated. It is pay for play under the ruse of the NIL. It is open free agency via the portal. And no one is in charge but for the NCAA imposing a scholly limit.

If you do not want to play hardball drop down to FCS. Where the majority of Pac-12 teams have dropped to whether they realize it or not.

CFB is no longer an amateur sport. It is a big time business and those without big time money will not be competitive.

I hate to keep sounding like Jeremiah when it comes to the future of the Pac-12, but you are either going to compete like a member of a big time business enterprise or you are not.

• Thumbs Up 2

I won't even remotely pretend I understand roster management to give a perfect or correct answer here.

If you run a 11 personnel on average I would likely say you need between 9-12 Scholarshipped receivers. I personally think WR is the least likely position to get injured so running more than 12 seems very excessive.

At the current moment Oregon has Thornton, Brevard, Hutson, Delgado, Franklin, crocker and Wilhoite set to return. That gives you 7. If stephon Johnson signs with oregon, that bump you up to 8. I also like the idea running McGee as a combo player. Easily allows you to move between 21 personnel and 11 personnel. For a total of 9. 

To add to this, I'd like to see a decrease in 12 personnel. so unless injuries persist and depending on what DJ Johnson, Cam McCormick do I would like to never see Webb blocking ever again. Move webb to Wide out. let him compete as a tall wideout. This allows Ferguson and Matavao who proved to be better last year to obtain all the reps at TE, and hopefully we can see a healthy Herbert. The only downfall to this is it does increase the importance in 2023's class to pull in a good TE.

If the coaching staff still feels the need after all of that, than let them go out and get a good WR. AZ just got UTEP Cowing. A lot of the guys on this list don't meet that definition. I'm sorry but 5 years of college experience and only 8 TD's and 1,500 YDS. Is not enough.

I like Neyor from Wyoming and while It's hard to make an assessment without film Antwane Wells Jr from James Madison(FCS) is also in the portal. He will have 3 years of eligibility left and in two years has amassed 1800 yards and 21 TD's. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1