30Duck

Caleb Williams: Chuckling at all the Rumors

Where on vacation? Athens, GA, Oxford, MS. or LA?

• Haha 1

They are chuckling. It wasn't that long ago that at least we all had the illusion that where the young man chose to play football was a very serious one. But today, Caleb and his family are "Chuckling" about where Caleb will take his talent to.

On 1/5/2022 at 4:45 PM, 30Duck said:

They are chuckling. It wasn't that long ago that at least we all had the illusion that where the young man chose to play football was a very serious one. But today, Caleb and his family are "Chuckling" about where Caleb will take his talent to.

And likely chuckling regarding the 'NIL' money the kid is going to make?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/5/2022 at 3:03 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And likely chuckling regarding the 'NIL' money the kid is going to make?

NIL has completely changed the landscape in regards to recruiting 5 & 4 star athletes.

Chuckling in part because he can pick wherever he wants to go.  Time was there was pressure to make sure the recruit got one of the precious 85 scholarships.  Now, with NIL, the scholarship limit ceases to be a significant factor for the recruit whose publicized image is worth $$$$$.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/5/2022 at 2:33 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Chuckling in part because he can pick wherever he wants to go.  Time was there was pressure to make sure the recruit got one of the precious 85 scholarships.  Now, with NIL, the scholarship limit ceases to be a significant factor for the recruit whose publicized image is worth $$$$$.

Yes, and when boosters can pay a walk on's tuition, then there really is not an 85 limit to scholarships. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the early to mid '70's a poverty stricken Oregon athletic dept agreed to be the cupcake opponent for perennial powerhouse programs.  One year they opened at Nebraska and the Register-Guard ran several articles on the Cornhusker program.  One item I remember was that in many smaller communities they would fund raise to allow a reasonably talented local kid to walk on to the Nebraska team.  With no limits Nebby would suit up 80-100 kids and I imagine a lot of them played in their 61-7 victory.

The NCAA has given up on parity.

On 1/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, McDuck said:

61-7 victory

Big payday for Oregon and on TV.

I remember it being a close game until kickoff. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember the announcer (Wendy Ray, maybe?) discussing the facilities and the slack jawed look on the teams faces, as the walked past (IIRC) the "massive" weight room ( I think it was supposed to be 25,000 square feet, or something like that) that dwarfed the entire Duck sports office complex/training facility of the time.

My, how times have changed!

• Thumbs Up 2

Imagine the roughly 50 member travelling squad looking across the field at double that number on the sidelines backed by a sea of red clad fans.  Intimidation.

The RG sub headline the following day was "Nebraska $6 million program defeats Oregon's $500,000 program".  The numbers may be a bit off but fairly close considering the fog of 45+ years.

I remember the 85 game. Had just graduated 6/84 and was playing a pick up basketball game at the local park the following September. Being an optimistic Duck fan I brought a transistor radio and had game on the Cornhusker station. Listened for a while then had to turn it off due to embarrassment since others good hear the play by play. Think final was 63-ZIP. Ouch.