Charles Fischer

News to ME: Heyward Created the USC Defensive Game-Plans?

I did not know that Keith Heyward constructed the USC defensive game-plans and I doubt anyone else did either...

That article in the Twitter is about USC keeping an eye on Heyward and Oregon....  (All news to me!)

Mr. FishDuck

This does change I think how we all look at the defensive coordinator spot if we do choose to promote from within.

You are correct Charles! No one else knew.

Who is Craig Williamson? Just another person with a Twitter account!

2 hours ago, David Marsh said:

This does change I think how we all look at the defensive coordinator spot if we do choose to promote from within.

I just don't think we should promote this position from within. We need someone with National Playoff experience. 

1 minute ago, BigDucksFan said:

I just don't think we should promote this position from within. We need someone with National Playoff experience. 

My leaning as well... though if Heyward was the one who formulated the plan against USC for the past two years I would feel more comfortable with his promotion than before. Not like the coaches care what I think.

2 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Not like the coaches care what I think.

I'm always telling them what I think - - - during game time my TV gets more loud talk from me then all the rest of the week.  But like you say "do they care ??"

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, BigDucksFan said:

I'm always telling them what I think - - - during game time my TV gets more loud talk from me then all the rest of the week.  But like you say "do they care ??"

You and I both BDF.

FWIW, There have been plenty of times this season I was disappointed with games Avalos called this year.  In fact, if Heyward did call both USC games, it tells me he has a knack for exploiting matchups.  No matter the downside, if he is capable of extrapolating his success to all teams, then I’m for promoting him.

The talent on Defense will take a hit on the DL.  But if they are successful at sealing the edges and forcing all runs inside (and the Edge LBs or DEs rush then cover RBs running routes to the flat), this defense can crush it.

There is another post I can’t find right now that wraps around this thought about Hayward I’d like to add to.  IF  we can only find two DeForest Buckner or Erik Armstead types on the DL, then it makes sense to surround that talent with a Funa type and some damn good range LBs like Sewell.  Funa disappeared this year, but he is very talented.  

The key to a dominant defense is consistently getting Armstead/Buckner types.  Whether we develop them or get them to Eugene.  
Then again, who are we fooling.  The coaches have their own vision, thus we have to ponder what if’s or celebrate the surprises like the past two conference title games.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:23 AM, BigDucksFan said:

We need someone with National Playoff experience. 

How long is THAT list?  We need to realistic too.

Edited by Jon Sousa

We just need someone who Walks like a Duck, talks like a Duck and is a Duck. I knew Avalos was going somewhere else from the start.