Charles Fischer

Yikes: Ducks Only WR Verbal for 2022 Has De-Committed

Oregon has NO wide receivers in the 2022 class at this time?  Guess we better be looking at the portal!

3-star WR Stephon Johnson De-Commits from Oregon Ducks by Zachary Neel of Ducks Wire

Troy Franklin.jpeg

Mr. FishDuck

Not shocking, but dang. 

Jahlil Florence says Ducks still in his top 5.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok... this feels familiar... oh wait this EXACT same thing happened when Taggart left and Cristobal became the HC. We lost ALL of the receiver commits.

I'm not implying anything by this and I think it is purely coincidental but it is kinda funny how in the last two coaches leaving that it has resulted in the loss of all our receiver commits.

Also... I think this means we don't have any commits from Texas anymore. Kinda a shame, but not at all surprising. Going to have to build that Texas to Eugene pipeline under Lanning.

Maybe Coach Adam's will bring one or two from the dawgs.

• Haha 1

I heard someone claim on another site that this recruits dad was saying that the coaches pulled his offer. Since Oregon only has a few spaces left,  and this coaching staff didn’t recruit him, I believe this could be true. He probably should have signed when he had the opportunity last month. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm just not too worried about stuff like this.  The Ducks, being an incredibly young team, can afford one awful recruiting year more than most other programs.  And with what is written about virtually every assistant coach ("top recruiter"), it shouldn't last for long.  If we're back in the top 15 next year, or better yet top 10, all this turmoil will be forgotten.

Frankly, my much greater concern is whether the program has hired recruiting over coaching.  When all we keep reading about is what a great recruiter each of the assistants is, I hope we're not in for a repeat of "great recruits who don't get developed" and/or "great recruits who lose to Stanford."

• Thumbs Up 4

Tis the season of the portal, not just freshman recruits. I have a feeling with a diverse coaching unit they have seen guys they want who have or will hit the portal.

We have a strong group of receivers, just need to add some depth and experience.

Remember the Oregon Basketball Program is full of transfers and it works out pretty well.

I miss Mario 

the bottom line is we’ve lost too much talent to seriously compete next season.

58th in the country in recruiting rankings is not going to cut it.

get ready for 7-5 or 8-4. Had Mario stayed we would have had another 10 win season in 2022 with a chance to win a natty in 2023.

😞

• Haha 5

On 1/6/2022 at 6:43 AM, Southwest Duck said:

I miss Mario 

get ready for 7-5 or 8-4. Had Mario stayed we would have had another 10 win season in 2022 with a chance to win a natty in 2023.

😞

Incoming freshman rarely have a large impact on a team. Give Lanning time to fill those spots with his guys, the process is going on right now.

Fear not, Mario's game will continue down in Miami. For those who long for Cristoball, tune in and try and stay focused. The games will be on earlier, but it will still be hard to stay awake.

It will be interesting to watch the two programs as we go forward. I just don't want to have to watch Cristoball any more!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Only time will tell if we will miss Mario........

Depends on how many 7-5 or 8-4 seasons we may have with Coach Lanning. That's the risk in any coaching change.

I keep reminding myself that Mario caused this coaching change. It was his choice........

IMHO, the Ducks, with all that talent were not going to the CFP or win a Natty under Mario.

The talent was being recruited. However the Coaching talent was lacking. If you can't steam roll or dominate the PAC?

It truly takes great coaching combined with great talent to win a Natty.

We were lacking one of those ingedients........

• Thumbs Up 5

I miss Mario 

😞

There are 77 underclassmen on this team. There are only 12 scholarships available.  They could give these scholarships to the cheer team, as long as these guys can coach better than the last staff, Ducks will be much more competitive than last year. Will come down to QB play imo.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 1/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Only time will tell if we will miss Mario........

Depends on how many 7-5 or 8-4 seasons we may have with Coach Lanning. That's the risk in any coaching change.

I keep reminding myself that Mario caused this coaching change. It was his choice........

IMHO, the Ducks, with all that talent were not going to the CFP or win a Natty under Mario.

The talent was being recruited. However the Coaching talent was lacking. If you can't steam roll or dominate the PAC?

It truly takes great coaching combined with great talent to win a Natty.

We were lacking one of those ingedients........

With Mario it wasn't going to happen and don't think for a minute that this class would have been top 5 o top 9. His class was trending towards around 10 which isn't terrible but if you can't coach a QB up then what's the sense. There is a lot of great recruiters that you do need to get top 10 classes continuously. I would have to believe that Lanning knows how to coach up a defense and it's players. All these guys are teachers and we did have a lot of injuries. So this needs to be fixed and I'm thinking to much weight training from last S@C Coach.

Flowe's been hurt 2 years running and that just doesn't bode well and honestly I really don't want that guy's season ruined again. So if I'm Lanning I'm waiting for Justin to be 100% because the guy is a one man wrecking crew.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see this being an issue for next year of maybe the next two years... But this year's class could create an issue later. 

But the proliferation of the transfer portal changes everything and allows teams to fill immediate needs with non-freshmen. 

Also... This class wasn't going to be a monster class like the previous three... Not enough scholarships. 

On 1/6/2022 at 12:34 AM, jimmer said:

I heard someone claim on another site that this recruits dad was saying that the coaches pulled his offer. Since Oregon only has a few spaces left,  and this coaching staff didn’t recruit him, I believe this could be true. He probably should have signed when he had the opportunity last month. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks McDuck!

Mr. FishDuck

Guest Axel

I miss Mario 

😞

Mario Cristobal can recruit talented players, but he can't coach them up, he can't motivate them, and he can't maneuver them effectively on game days. My prediction is that Coach Lanning's Ducks will outperform Cristobal's Hurricanes in 2022, 2023, and beyond.   

Got to figure that Coach Lanning and some of his staff have relationships with class of 22 recruits.

We will know in about a month.

I agree with David that the transfer portal offers tremendous opportunities.

So does NIL.........

I can just feel it in my bones that 85 individual, well to do boosters are being lined up to fill an 85 player roster with NIL opportunities.

Any guess what conference that might be?

I just heard he is coming for a visit soon.

Kid nixed his commitment because he don't know Bo?

Mario Cristobal and a Natty? Never going to happen. Where would Mario have Bama today if Mario and not Saint Nick was the HC? The guy is 62-60 and the players who 'loved him' consistently showed up unprepared and played down to the level of the competition. A 'Natty Coach' does not lose to 3-7 Stanford. Does not get blown out twice in three games by a team with a roster not on par with his. Does not win a Rose Bowl with the NFL Rookie of the Year at QB by 1 point over a 3L team. Does not get blown out by Iowa State in the Fiesta Bowl.

He won a down conference in 2019, went to the Rose Bowl when he should have gone to the Final 4. He won the COVID conference title in 2020 with a 4-3 record. In 2021 he failed to win a conference that went 0-5 in its bowl games and lost more than two thirds of its games vs FBS out of conference competition.

Natty? Miami just bought a pig in a poke. Mario winning a Natty at Miami is as much of a pipe dream as is the idea of building a new stadium in Coral Gables.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 4

On 1/6/2022 at 7:43 AM, Southwest Duck said:

I miss Mario 

😞

I don't think this is a very good assessment at all. 

First of all we only have about 12 spots anyway. Mario was planning to oversign and push players out.(most teams of the top teams oversign but it's usually only by 2-3) Mario was planning a full class of 20-25. The fact is mario would have lost a lot of talent in transfers and decommits as well.

second as far as talent goes, this obviously isn't oregon's best class but despite that fact 247 and rivals list this class as the second best in player average. It's like asking would you rather have 15-20 C- to B- ranked players are 8-10 B to A- players. Overall I would take talent over numbers.

Finally I think this roster has too few holes to justify going 8-4. especially when you compare it to the pac 12. If you look at our schedule we miss the most talented team(outside of oregon) on our schedule(USC). In our south crossovers we get AZ, COL, UT, and UCLA. and the north is looking to be a mess.

Oregon should go 5-0 against our division, As I haven't seen anything from any of the teams that tell me they will improve significantly. Looking at the south, I think AZ improves but they just finished the season 1-11. Colorado looks to be slipping more. Then UT and UCLA even if I chalk both of those games as losses.(i think we have good chance with UCLA as both games are at Autzen). 

I don't even think we need elite QB play to hit a 9-3 record. The pac 12 is just that bad as a whole. USC is the only team outside of us recruiting well and even then they have a few bad classes brought in from Helton. Utah is the only team i can presently say has a great and tested coach. and the only team rising as a whole is Oregon state but you also have to remember how far down they were, they aren't even close to moving up.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, UtahDuck said:

I don't think this is a very good assessment at all. 

First of all we only have about 12 spots anyway. Mario was planning to oversign and push players out.(most teams of the top teams oversign but it's usually only by 2-3) Mario was planning a full class of 20-25. The fact is mario would have lost a lot of talent in transfers and decommits as well.

second as far as talent goes, this obviously isn't oregon's best class but despite that fact 247 and rivals list this class as the second best in player average. It's like asking would you rather have 15-20 C- to B- ranked players are 8-10 B to A- players. Overall I would take talent over numbers.

Finally I think this roster has too few holes to justify going 8-4. especially when you compare it to the pac 12. If you look at our schedule we miss the most talented team(outside of oregon) on our schedule(USC). In our south crossovers we get AZ, COL, UT, and UCLA. and the north is looking to be a mess.

Oregon should go 5-0 against our division, As I haven't seen anything from any of the teams that tell me they will improve significantly. Looking at the south, I think AZ improves but they just finished the season 1-11. Colorado looks to be slipping more. Then UT and UCLA even if I chalk both of those games as losses.(i think we have good chance with UCLA as both games are at Autzen). 

I don't even think we need elite QB play to hit a 9-3 record. The pac 12 is just that bad as a whole. USC is the only team outside of us recruiting well and even then they have a few bad classes brought in from Helton. Utah is the only team i can presently say has a great and tested coach. and the only team rising as a whole is Oregon state but you also have to remember how far down they were, they aren't even close to moving up.

Great take. My only true concern regarding the conference is having to play 5 conference road games instead of playing say, New Mexico State at home? But that is more of a Final 4 concern than it is a conference title concern. UCLA? Lame duck coach and the Bruins just lost Gabriel Dillon to Oklahoma. Utah should be very good especially with the quality transfer LB from Florida coming to Utah, but at Autzen should be a win. If healthy, Oregon will have a QB who has started and won big time games against better talent than what the Utes will bring.

I don't think this new group of coaches is anywhere near done with the portal and in 2022 you can have 85 on scholly plus an additional 7 transfers.

Even if Caleb Williams signs with SC, the Trojans are behind the curve on both the D and O lines.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Even if Caleb Williams signs with SC, the Trojans are behind the curve on both the D and O lines.

This.

I think USC will have enough talent to beat most of the pac but the reason oregon rolled them in both 19 and 20 is that oregon has beaten them across the lines. 

Add in that Lincoln Riley has never rebuilt a team and it will be interesting to watch how USC moves forward. They have a lot to present and improve upon. And maybe this is just me but I think USC attracts more of the "me" players rather than team players and because of this I think they will have a consistent disadvantage in actually being coached up and improving.(completely personal opinion).

With that, I'm not ready to give oregon a win against Utah in Autzen just yet. I would like to see how our offensive coordinator improves opening the playbook and if we can get average to above average qb play. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/6/2022 at 10:29 AM, UtahDuck said:

And maybe this is just me but I think USC attracts more of the "me" players rather than team players and because of this I think they will have a consistent disadvantage in actually being coached up and improving.(completely personal opinion).

I think there is a lot to that, and was it too much for Helton to overcome? With Carroll it worked because the talent was so much it didn't matter. Carroll actually was what Mario wants to be. He didn't get in the way of Reggie Bush, but the strength of his Trojans were in the trenches and the defense in particular. Riley is great on offense, and that is what we've seen him attract since showing up at SC, but his Sooners weren't effective on defense, and I doubt Riley is going to change his game plan. 

Heard they got Nua from Michigan as DL or DC coach. One of the top risers in CFB.